Apprentice Program Signups: VGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for VGC, the official ingame competitive format, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

Current Tutors:
Aldrich
C-Tiki
darkmaster491
Helios of Sun
Jomatoes
yuki
raisedintyo
ToastNoButter
trace
Zeal
zee

RULES

• You must be able to access Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, should have at least 15 posts before signing up AND your account's age should be a minimum of at least 1 month old before signing up. If you do not reach that threshold, you will likely be skipped.
    • This is not a hard requirement meaning you may still be paired without satisfying it, but if you want to ensure you are compliant and you wish to attain 15 posts before applying, DO NOT spam post elsewhere in the forum. That is an infractable offense and we do not encourage such behavior from potential Tutees.
  • You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be skipped. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.
Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.
Username:
PS! Username:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use Discord?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
Username: Shiba
PS! Username: Big Sean
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in early XY and spammed Baton Pass on the ladder. I was pretty skilled I guess. I then got more involved with Smogon and started to play in various tournaments like UUPL and later on Snake and SPL. I could use a bit more practice in this tier though, so I'm looking to get help
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up in the future if:

• You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Last edited by a moderator:
PS! Username: ChrFalVGC
Your Timezone: GMT
Usual Hours of Availability: Tue-Fri, 2000-2300. Saturday 1400-2300. Sunday all day.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing on simulators in Gen 5,though I mostly stuck to singles. I started playing with my friends, though I didn't start entering proper competitions until Sword and Shield. I have only completed at Premier Events so far, and I would like to take me game higher.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes

Username: Icegod777
PS! Username: Icegod777
Your timezone: EST
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekends 9 AM to 10 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing PS! in late 2020 and I liked to play Nat dex AG and I was very nooby, I used only pokemon I liked and used bad sets that I used to think were good. Fast forward into the summer 2021 when I started to get good, I started playing OU and I started using actual ou mons and used smogon sets and tried to make my team have good synergy and my team that I used was actually pretty good. Then, recently, in S10 I started to get into VGC and I found out about VGC 2016 and it was my fav format. Now, I'm pretty into (and also good at) VGC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, S12 and SS OU.
Are you able to use Discord?:Yes I can use Discord, Icegod777 #4107
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: No

Last edited:

3v2d

Banned deucer.
Username: 3v2d
PS! Username: 3v2d
Your timezone: EST or GMT-5
Usual Hours of Availability: Pretty much anytime weekends, 3-6 PM EST on weekdays
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Got into VGC quite recently but I think I've picked it up pretty fast. Currently at a peak of 1600 on Showdown but only using other players' teams. Hoping to get better at teambuilding and figure out where I need to improve!
yes
yes

Username: Fatalyti916
PS! Username: Fatalyti916
Your timezone: UTC-4
2AM to 3PM (Monday till Friday) and available all week-end
I've been playing Pokemon competitively since Black & White but has i didn't have a 3DS i stop playing until ORAS and completely lost interest since none of my friends were playing. That's until i got my hand on a Switch and pretty played Sword and Shield since it's release. I'm willing to study very hard to win for the first time of my life a Regional that is coming soon.
Yes i am
Yes i do

Ashbala

You can pretend that it was me, but no, oh ♪
is a Pre-Contributor
Username: Ashbala
PS! Username: ashbala99
Your timezone: GMT +5.5
Usual Hours of Availability: Free after 9 pm my time on weekdays ... Free for whole weekend (will be flexible depending on my tutor)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Been in PS for 6 years and Smogon for almost 2 years into competitive side playing mostly Monotype ... But i almost playing every official single tier where i found interesting. Its time to explore a complete new tier and i found VGC is the place to go and ready to explore the competitive side of this tier too :)
Are you able to use Discord?: yes, xmystery07#6139
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for VGC, the official ingame competitive format, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

Current Tutors:
Aldrich
C-Tiki
darkmaster491
Helios of Sun
Jomatoes
yuki
raisedintyo
ToastNoButter
trace
Zeal
zee

RULES

• You must be able to access Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, should have at least 15 posts before signing up AND your account's age should be a minimum of at least 1 month old before signing up. If you do not reach that threshold, you will likely be skipped.
    • This is not a hard requirement meaning you may still be paired without satisfying it, but if you want to ensure you are compliant and you wish to attain 15 posts before applying, DO NOT spam post elsewhere in the forum. That is an infractable offense and we do not encourage such behavior from potential Tutees.
  • You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be skipped. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Current Tutors:
Aldrich
C-Tiki
darkmaster491
Helios of Sun
Jomatoes
yuki
raisedintyo
ToastNoButter
trace
Zeal
zee

RULES

Username: HIGHROLLA00
PS! Username: Ostinomic
Your timezone: PST
Usual Hours of Availability: Anytime I don’t have a life lol
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):So I started about 1year ago but didn’t really get into it until about 2 months ago and I am ok not to good but I am looking to get way better so I learned about tutoring and here I am.

Username: LeCehlou
PS! Username : LeCehlou
Timezone : UTC+1
Usual Hours of Availability : 7PM-1AM usually, can change a lot, almost free all weekend
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokémon (min 3 sentences) :
I started playing on PS! in 2016 but I really started to invest myself on it at the end of 2019. I spent a lot of time looking for my main tier and I found 1v1 in mid 2021, playing a lot and even getting in 1v1PL.
Long ago I found VGC uncompetitive, but with times I was more and more interested by VGC. I started playing VGC a week prior and I really want to improve.
I have a large knowledges of Pokemon and its mechanics (a bit less for doubles, but I know a lot of them)
Are you able to use Discord : Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works : Yes

Paino

O' hallowed moon, take fire and scorch my foes!
Username:Paino
PS! Username:PainoLadder
Your timezone:EST
Usual Hours of Availability:Everyday non school hours
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Played Anything Goes competitivly and amassed top 5 in ladder countless of times before and know basic competitive pokemon knowledge well. I have also have gotten to masterball rank in Battle Spot without knowing the metagame well, so I do adjust atleast semi quickly to a new meta. I want to learn VGC as in the Meta, Basics, Viability, and what plays to take(and all the other stuff). I want to also learn how to play doubles format well (i know niches but I dont know much)
Are you able to use Discord?: yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yep

Current Tutors:
Aldrich
C-Tiki
darkmaster491
Helios of Sun
Jomatoes
yuki
raisedintyo
ToastNoButter
trace
Zeal
zee

RULES

Username:Jahir is a noob
PS! Username:Jahir is a noob
Your timezone: CST
Usual Hours of Availability:Weekdays 11 am to 4 pm
weekends 11 am to 2 pn
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I was introduced to competitive pokemon in 2018 with pokemon ultra sun and ultra sun and moon and I thought that it seemed cool with all the battles with playing with other people. I have played vgc 2021 and a little of vgc 2022.I have always had trouble finding our good ways to make teams and normally just used rental teams
Are you able to use Discord?:Yes Japeepee#3608
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:No

Username: CapivaraStark
PS! Username: Fcking Weebs
Your timezone: GMT-3
Usual Hours of Availability: 7am~9am / 8pm ~ 1am
Played a lot of showdown OU like 8 years ago and a lot of wifi ShSw tournaments like 2 years ago
Yes
Yes

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Chokepic
PS! Username: Chokepic
Your timezone: Gmt +2
Usual Hours of Availability: Nights
I've constantly being playing since oras, where I was an OU player. When sm was released I started getting involved in nu and ended up getting mod in their room, although I'm no longer staff. I also dabbled in zu by the end of the gen, and that's where I've stayed til now. As you can see, I've played a lot of singles. Conversely, however, I've never really played doubles and I figured out it'd be fun to maybe attend some presential tournaments.
Yep
Do you understand how the blacklist works?
I do

Username: Shinywooloo
PS! Username: Shinywooloo3
Your timezone: PDT
Usual Hours of Availability: 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I used to do it in Sword and Shield, but never got past Great Ball tier. Basically, I sucked at it. I've been hooked ever since, and would love to get better. I've started doing predictions for the OU meta for Scarlet and Violet, although it is still a work in progress(https://docs.google.com/document/d/16NPwFGvs6soINvUuRlZZm-xTo28TbhWkTzBIiJ_WVPI/edit?usp=sharing).
Are you able to use Discord?: No
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: No :P

Makima

Banned deucer.
Username: Makima
PS! Username: Kill Makima (Smogon) / UberVylit (VGC)
My timezone: EDT (GMT -4)
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays (except Thursday) 7 pm - 11 pm, Thursday 3 pm - 11 pm, Weekends 12 pm - 12 am (11 pm on Sunday)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): As far as VGC is concerned, I've been playing on/off for a year. I have reached Master Ball easily in both formats I tried to in - Series 9 (placed 2000) & Series 12 (placed 600). I can see obvious mistakes, but fail to understand the game at a greater level. I really enjoy teambuilding, but have lots of trouble constructing teams that are both fulfilling to play and will perform well. I would like help in both the teambuilding and playing aspect of VGC if possible as I need a lot of work in both areas.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes - Discord is my primary form of communication.
Do I understand how the blacklist works?: Yes

Username: Pepsi Man ll

PS! Username: Pepsi Man ll

Your timezone: PT

Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays 3:30pm-5:30pm

Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I am subscribed to WolfeyVGC and watch his videos often. I also tuned in and watched a total of 3 hours of the world finals. I also spend a bit of time every day teambuilding and play PS kinda often but I mostly rely on a gimmick of some sort. I hope to be a top VGC player and at least enter a worlds tournament.

Are you able to use Discord?: yes

Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

Last edited:
Username: Ratepel
PS! Username: Ratepel Ketchum
Your timezone: GMT+4
Usual Hours of Availability: 12 PM - 11 pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I used to do competitive in gen 7 in sun and moon in my old account and I participated in unofficial tournaments challenges from skilled players and all but then I took a break from competitive and came back in gen 8 and I lost all my ability to team build and strategize and more in this meta and I expect to do better in the next meta with the help of your tutors.

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Username: Aqua Jet
PS! Username: Hauji
Your timezone: GMT -4
Usual Hours of Availability: Any reasonable time
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitive Pokémon in Generation 7 using Random Battles. Around the end of March of last year, I decided to give Monotype a whirl because I had some friends that were urging me to try it. Around January of this year, I began to play UU and have had decent success in the tier, playing in UUWC (1-2), and UU Majors (2-2 in pools). I've also picked up Ubers, becoming a substitute during UWC where my team made finals, PUWC (where I went 1-1), and LCWC. I also managed UUFPL, where my team was a semi-finalist, and won UUSD.

Username: Joe-Cool_
PS! Username: Nagou-San
Your timezone: GMT -4
Mon from 5pm to 12am, Tues 2pm to 12am, Wed 8pm to 12am, Thurs-Sunday 2pm to 12am
I started playing VGC on Showdown when Gen 5 came out, I've played it on battle spot with 6 and 8. I played in a few tournaments for Gen 8, never did well. I've always been interested in improving my play to a higher level, and only just now found this
Yes
Yes

I understand and agree to the fact that due to my account missing some of the requisites mentioned, such as 15 posts or one month lifespan, I may be skipped over.

Username: jSuica
PS! Username: PikaLass
Your timezone: GMT+1
Usual Hours of Availability: 19 pm - 00 am
I used to play ladder and official formats since 2015. Not much experience on VGC tournaments except one time on 2018 when I played a midseason and end 2nd. To sum up, I know the game mechanics and know how to ladder well, but I have no experience neither in team building or competitive playing (bo3, game plans, win condition…)
Yes
Yes

Username: Hazardous Scyther :scyther:
PS! Username: Hazardous Scyther :muk:
Your timezone: GMT +1 (Algeria, North Africa) :bisharp:
Usual Hours of Availability: 1:20 pm - 2:45 pm Is my most free time :hoppip:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon : I Started playing competitive pokemon in 2019 (Gen 8 AG , OU ,1v1, And a couple of hours invested in VGC too) But i still have a lot to learn like gamesense , teambuilding , etc... , but for now i just want to learn VGC and become Good atleast.. :zacian: :yveltal: :torkoal: :venusaur-gmax:
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes ( HazToed#6307 )
Yessir :Carkol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)