Other Metagames Anything Goes: Vaporeon Rain/Roar

Hi I've used this team for a couple weeks, would appreciate a second opinion on how to improve things:

The Team

Determination (Drapion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roar
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
Usually in front, toxic spikes+spam roar for any attempted sweeps, knock off gets rid of boots and espeon, taunt is handy for gimmicks. Pretty happy with this one overall, once roar gets going its fun to poison a whole team. Can take a hit but not super bulky so eats the occasional 1hko

Peace (Togekiss) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ancient Power
- Baton Pass
- Fire Blast
- Roost
Newest addition. Serene grace+ancient power works alright. Baton pass into larvesta mostly. Slow so put a focus sash on it and added EVs, if ancient power works it's usually then fast enough to baton pass. Fire blast for steel. Have barely used roost, usually faints too fast for that but still useful. This one is the baton passer.

Love (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
Usually one of the last pokemon I use. Gigantamax, hopefully after baton pass, and just blast everything. Giga drain isn't that great at healing but useful coverage same with bug buzz, fire blast will 1hko zacian if gigantamax, hurricane will hit in rain. Overall it does the job, can take a few hits but can't really heal itself

Sincerity (Regieleki) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Substitute
- Bounce
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
This is a bit more of a staller, bounce will fully protect against any gigantamax attacks + para if cant poison, substitute can stall for poison or just protect, rain dance is very helpful, thunder hits in rain. Overall absolute glass cannon been 1hko so many times even with the balloon but it's fast and useful for making it through gigantamax/poison

Harmonious (Kyogre) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Toxic
- Thunder
- Roar
Usually the 2nd one after drapion. Just in case toxic spikes didn't hit we got toxic. Sometimes drapion gets sweeped so extra roar just in case. Drizzle good for origin pulse+thunder accuracy. Can take a few hits usually. Mostly Kyogre is just for stalling a bit, letting poison work and defeating maybe a few. I have the most trouble with poison-themed teams btw, or teams who can out-stall

Patience (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 40 HP / 228 Def / 236 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Whirlpool
Last one out usually. Whirlpool makes pokemon unable to switch out, will hit while wish+protect. Leftovers for extra heal. A gigantamax + whirlpool = rain. Hydration will heal status effects in rain at the end of each turn. Ice beam gigantamax = hail for extra damage if needed. Usually the other pokemon is poisoned already but ice beam freezes sometimes. Nice and bulky, very reliable. I know the EVs may look wack but basically I fiddled around with it until it could take most attacks. Weak to toxic without rain, some gimmicks and evasive pokemon, because whirlpool has low accuracy. Can be 1hko if other pokemon can't be roared out before they set up & sweep.

I have a lot of fun using this team but feel like it has room for improvement and different ideas to try.

Determination (Drapion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roar
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Peace (Togekiss) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ancient Power
- Baton Pass
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Love (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Sincerity (Regieleki) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Transistor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Substitute
- Bounce
- Thunder
- Rain Dance

Harmonious (Kyogre) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Toxic
- Thunder
- Roar

Patience (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 40 HP / 228 Def / 236 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Whirlpool

Last edited:
This team is completely unviable 4 Pokémon are bad in AG and Regi eleki is very niche. The movesets are also pretty bad. It isn’t really salvagble and you should just look at samples

This team is completely unviable 4 Pokémon are bad in AG and Regi eleki is very niche. The movesets are also pretty bad. It isn’t really salvagble and you should just look at samples
Fair enough. I'm just curious, in what way are the movesets bad? Also, which 4 pokemon are you talking about? I understand where you're coming from especially since I've been playing for a short time, and I'm willing to do what you said, just I would seriously appreciate any more information. No point blindly following samples if I don't know something fundamental and continue to make the same mistake.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'm just curious, in what way are the movesets bad? Also, which 4 pokemon are you talking about? I understand where you're coming from especially since I've been playing for a short time, and I'm willing to do what you said, just I would seriously appreciate any more information. No point blindly following samples if I don't know something fundamental and continue to make the same mistake.
I don't play AG, but here are some general resources / guidelines for playing the tier (or any tier really) if you're new.

1) Use the resources on the forums. The viability rankings, role compedium, discussion thread, and sample teams are all important.

2) When playing with a sample team, try to understand how it works: the role each pokemon plays, the goal of the team, etc. If you don't understand it, then just ask. This will help you when you build your own teams.

3) Smogon has a lot of guides for new players, they are very helpful and I used them when starting out. You can also use the strategy dex to learn a pokemon's sets and how to use it.
https://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon
https://www.smogon.com/articles/getting-started

The AG discord and SQSA thread are good ways to ask questions.

Last edited:

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Fair enough. I'm just curious, in what way are the movesets bad? Also, which 4 pokemon are you talking about? I understand where you're coming especially since I've been playing for a short time, and I'm willing to do what you said, just I would seriously appreciate any more information. No point blindly following samples if I don't know something fundamental and continue to make the same mistake.
Well you can look at smogon analysis of each respective pokemon in https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/ and look at the tiers viability rankings in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ag-viability-rankings.3672899/ and the sample teams to look at what team works and what doesnt in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ag-sample-teams.3675040/

Your team is really bad, even the move set on the bad pokemons are bad, you should change everything but i'll help you get better movesets for each respective pokemon. so from the top.

:drapion:
This moveset is probably the most viable of everything you have here, but you probably should have focus sash as an item to be able to set up toxic spikes guaranteed, and have 252 hp instead of attack to be able to live more moves, use whirlwind over roar because of the rare soundproof ability.

:togekiss:
your set is completely unreliable and luck based, and even if you get the luck you cant do anything back at all due to the unreliable fire blast + rain and the weak ancient power, i know you have baton pass but relying on a 20% chance for it to potentially work is unreliable.
If you want an ancient power set, use Substitue, Air Slash, Ancient Power while last move can be Aura Sphere or roost while the item is leftovers and make it timid. its still a bad and unreliable set, but its better for what youre trying to do. heres a better offensive togekiss set i use in OU

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere
- Trick
(btw idk why your togekiss is missing evs, you should fix that)

:volcarona:
The only good volcarona set is quiver dance, because if youre not using that, why bother? every other set is super outclassed (except maybe the joke set that is uturn defog), your set is slow and unreliable to break, so heres 2 sets of volcarona i use (for OU, since outside of OU its not that good)
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

:regieleki:
I see what you want to do with "stall regieleki" but your set is bad. i dont see the use of rain dance. the best way to use stall regieleki is to use max special/hp, max speed, timid. the item being leftovers with thunder cage/rapid spin/protect/substitute. you can stall out the opponent with toxic using this set more efficiently.

kyogre and vaporeon is just the same as volcarona, your set are bad and innefective for what you want to do. Kyogre should be calm mind/roar/surf/rest with max hp, and max physdef while vaporeon should not be used at all.
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/ if u still want to use vaporeon just look here for sets.

I don't play AG, but here are some general resources / guidelines for playing the tier (or any tier really) if you're new.

1) Use the resources on the forums. The viability rankings, role compedium, discussion thread, and sample teams are all important.

2) When playing with a sample team, try to understand how it works: the role each pokemon plays, the goal of the team, etc. If you don't understand it, then just ask. This will help you when you build your own teams.

3) Smogon has a lot of guides for new players, they are very helpful and I used them when starting out. You can also use the strategy dex to learn a pokemon's sets and how to use it.
https://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon
https://www.smogon.com/articles/getting-started

The AG discord and SQSA thread are good ways to ask questions.
Thanks so much for all of the information, it's a massive help. I had no clue half of these things existed, wow. Seriously thank you.

Well you can look at smogon analysis of each respective pokemon in https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/ and look at the tiers viability rankings in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ag-viability-rankings.3672899/ and the sample teams to look at what team works and what doesnt in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ag-sample-teams.3675040/

Your team is really bad, even the move set on the bad pokemons are bad, you should change everything but i'll help you get better movesets for each respective pokemon. so from the top.

:drapion:
This moveset is probably the most viable of everything you have here, but you probably should have focus sash as an item to be able to set up toxic spikes guaranteed, and have 252 hp instead of attack to be able to live more moves, use whirlwind over roar because of the rare soundproof ability.

:togekiss:
your set is completely unreliable and luck based, and even if you get the luck you cant do anything back at all due to the unreliable fire blast + rain and the weak ancient power, i know you have baton pass but relying on a 20% chance for it to potentially work is unreliable.
If you want an ancient power set, use Substitue, Air Slash, Ancient Power while last move can be Aura Sphere or roost while the item is leftovers and make it timid. its still a bad and unreliable set, but its better for what youre trying to do. heres a better offensive togekiss set i use in OU

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere
- Trick
(btw idk why your togekiss is missing evs, you should fix that)

:volcarona:
The only good volcarona set is quiver dance, because if youre not using that, why bother? every other set is super outclassed (except maybe the joke set that is uturn defog), your set is slow and unreliable to break, so heres 2 sets of volcarona i use (for OU, since outside of OU its not that good)
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

:regieleki:
I see what you want to do with "stall regieleki" but your set is bad. i dont see the use of rain dance. the best way to use stall regieleki is to use max special/hp, max speed, timid. the item being leftovers with thunder cage/rapid spin/protect/substitute. you can stall out the opponent with toxic using this set more efficiently.

kyogre and vaporeon is just the same as volcarona, your set are bad and innefective for what you want to do. Kyogre should be calm mind/roar/surf/rest with max hp, and max physdef while vaporeon should not be used at all.
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/ if u still want to use vaporeon just look here for sets.
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will take your words into account. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)