SS UU Anti-Meta Balance

Hey! Former OU player here. I migrated to UU because IMO there is way too much going on over there right now. This was my first attempt at an SS UU team, and I feel like it does pretty well. It deals very well with most of the biggest threats in UU right now, and the few losing match-ups I have seen are still pretty winnable, while its even and winning matchups feel almost easy. It does have a problem with some setup sweepers such as Suicune, which requires uncomfortable switches and sac's, as well as Scarf Tini, which usually just ends up being trading until the opponent runs out of switches.
Screenshot (6).png

The team is pretty well balanced, no major weaknesses, common Rock types like Nihilego are hard checked by Cobalion. The team is a bit weak to Fire, but as long as Rotom is kept healthy, it is pretty manageable. Now, for the team:

479-w.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Defog

The main defogger of the team, here to counter the likes of Hippo and Tini. It can outspeed Gyarados with no DD, and the SpD invest is there because the team was having a hard time taking on SpA sweepers. Just the standard defensive pivot, takes hits well, can hit hard, and helps keep momentum. Also, walls most hazard mons, which makes it's defog utility infinitely better. All around great mon that checks a lot of the current meta.
635.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Hydreigon does a great job as speed control, and was originally added to take down Aegislash. If there aren't any huge threats, I usually lead with it, as worst case, you can U-turn out. Has great resists, and can OHKO basically anything that it hits super effectively. I was thinking about going Modest for extra damage, but we would then lose to other Hydreigons, which would probably not be great.
642-s.png

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Main special sweeper, destroys Flying and Water types like Celesteela, Azu, and Rotom-W. You can switch it in on Electric moves and most of the time, get a free Nasty Plot up. At +2 SpA, STAB Tbolt can deal serious damage to everything except Ground types. There are very few things that fully wall it, the main one being Hippo, which Rotom destroys. Once you take out the stuff that outspeeds it, it often can just come in and clean up.

638.png

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock

Originally was Life Orb SD sweeper, I gave it Rocks and Expert Belt, as it almost never got to sweep. Checks Rock types like Nihilego, and STAB Expert Belt CC threatens most things out, allowing for free Rocks. I think another item might be better, but I might need some help on what to use instead. Also likes coming in on Lele and Hatt, and STAB Iron Head forces switches. Very much so rounds out the team's weaknesses.

591.png

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

The physical wall of the team. Hard walls Zeraora, Krookodile, and Bulu, and Spore can cripple threats. Sludge bomb does respectable damage and has a decent poison chance. Regenerator allows it to take big hits and get out for free. If you know a Knock Off is coming either Amoonguss or Cobalion comes out 100% of the time. If Bulu is running Zen Headbutt, Amoonguss takes about 40%, and can OHKO with Sludge Bomb.

105-a.png

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Shadow Bone

Hits like a truck, that's really all that needs to be said. Can take an attack or two from the likes of Lele and Hatt, and force them to switch. All of its attacks will do a meaty chunk to any switch in. I chose to run Rock Head for the free Flare Blitz, since Thundo has Volt Absorb, but you can run either or. You won't be switching it in as much as the rest of the team, but when you do, it will put in work. In general, it is great at revenge killing, as long as the opposing mon can't hit you too super effectively.

So yeah, that's the team. I don't think there are too many glaring weaknesses. If I were to ask for help on anything, I would ask for what item to use on Cobalion over Expert Belt. Hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I like the approach you took with this, just gonna point out a couple things that came to my mind at a first glance.

:thundurus-therian:
Sludge Wave > Sludge Bomb on Thundurus mainly to hit defensive Kommo-o harder.

:cobalion:
I'd recommend Leftovers here to squeeze a bit more utility out of your "Steel type". Shuca and Chople berry are other options, even Occa berry can work. Anyway, Expert Belt has few applications, I'd say play around with resist berries to see you if you like one of them. Stick with Leftovers if not.

:marowak-alola:
Max speed on Marowak-Alola allows you to outspeed some Aegislash variants (SubTox is quite common) and smack them with Poltergeist. Given how big of a threat that thing is to your team I'd say this change is definitely worth. You also get the jump on many defensive Pokémon which Marowak is supposed to take advantage of (Celesteela is a big one).

There's some other stuff that I'd like to address but since you seem to be content with the squad overall, I'll stop here. Another issue in my estimation would be the lack of a real Steel type. Psychic spam really messes the team up, your one immunity dies to coverage from Tapu Lele or Alakazam. Having a Fairy type would certainly be appreciated as well because Dragon type threats which are abundant in the tier right now can spiral out of control quickly too (Latias, Kommo-o, Salamence).

Hope this helped, let me know if you wanna refine this squad further, I'm happy to assist.

Peace

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hey realcourage, esche's rate is really nice here, but I also wanted to offer some alternative suggestions on how to fix some of the issues with your team, such as the poor Gyarados matchup, unreliable Volcarona matchup thanks to your main answer in Marowak-Alola being very vulnerable if it takes chip damage, especially due to its Rocks weakness, and difficulty dealing with Latias and Hydreigon due to your Dragon-resist being Cobalion.

Major Change

:hydreigon: -> :latias:

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Changing to a Choice Scarf Latias set here keeps your speed control that Hydreigon offered, but thanks to its greater speed and coverage it can also handle other set up threats like DD Gyarados, NP Hydreigon, and Meteor Beam Nihilego (which did a solid 60% to your Cobalion before with Tbolt so could be very dangerous late game). Healing Wish support will be very useful for the next change I make to your team, and can also heal up Thundurus-T late game to clean up a weakened team nicely.

Minor Changes

:rotom-wash: -> :rotom-heat:

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Classifying this one as a Minor change since it's just changing the forme of your Rotom here. One of the biggest issues as i mentioned earlier on is your Volcarona matchup, but as Esche pointed out Aegislash can also be quite annoying to this team. A specially defensive Rotom-Heat gives you an answer to both of these, while forming a powerful Volt Switch core with your Thundurus-T. It also helps provide a more reliable check to both Scizor and Tapu Bulu compared to Rotom-Wash, which is useful if Tapu Bulu is running Zen Headbutt for Amoonguss.

:thundurus-therian:

Thundurus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Defog

I'd suggest running a slightly different move selection here on your Thundurus-T. As your team really needed to remove Defog off Rotom-Heat to allow it to properly check Volcarona, we needed to move Defog somewhere else. I also would suggest running a Pivot Thundurus-T set here instead of a Nasty Plot set, which can provide a lot more early game offensive utility through its typing and Volt Switch.

Focus Blast isn't too necessary on this set as it's mainly for Hydreigon, so I would suggest replacing it with Defog here. Sludge Wave > Sludge Bomb to hit Kommo-o as Esche mentioned, due to Bulletproof. Heavy-Duty Boots are definitlely the item of choice here to help it pivot around much better.

Major Changes

:marowak-alola: -> :primarina:

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump
- Scald

Marowak-Alola was an interesting choice on your team, but the lack of a reliable Dragon-type check really hurt your team overall in terms of dealing with Latias and Hydreigon. Choice Specs Primarina is a really nice addition here to help with this issue, and offers you an extremely powerful wallbreaker that can remove problematic Pokemon like Amoonguss and Tangrowth for Thundurus to clean up, while pairing amazingly with your Volt Switch core by checking Ground-types, Latias/Hydreigon, and Kommo-o for them. Primarina especially loves Latias's Healing Wish support, allowing it to play more aggressively early game, and fear stuff like Kommo-o's Poison Jab far less.

:cobalion: -> :kommo-o:

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

As you pointed out earlier, your team had big problems with Fire-types, in particular Victini and Chandelure can really put a lot of pressure on your team. Sub + Toxic Aegislash is also very annoying, and can stall out my Rotom-Heat change still. Changing Cobalion to Kommo-o here gives you a really useful set of resistances thanks to its typing and ability and a dangerous offensive stealth rocker that can help introduce more offensive presence to the team, as Cobalion was often fodder to these particular Pokemon previously.

Minor Change

:amoonguss:

No big changes here, but I'd recommend running Growth over Synthesis on this team. As it currently stands, Amoonguss is your main switch in to Primarina on your team, but this can very easily backfire if it is a Calm Mind + Substitute set, which Growth allows you to comfortably deal with.

:ss/rotom-heat: :ss/latias: :ss/thundurus-therian: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/amoonguss: :ss/primarina:

https://pokepast.es/e8961f174a0c9887

I hope you enjoy the new version of the team. Hopefully this should solve some of the issues you had with Fire-types, Aegislash, Gyarados, and Dragon-types, among other things. Your Suicune matchup should be a little easier too as Primarina and Kommo-o can both put a lot of pressure on it too. If you are finding the Suicune matchup still too impossible you could consider running some special attack EVs on your Amoonguss in combination with Growth, although this would negatively affect some of your other matchups.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)