Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos @ Leftovers ** Dream Wing
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder

I like it as a lead to get a pre-emptive on Spikers and sleep-inducers.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers ** Love So Blue
- Growth
- Rest
- Roar
- Surf

Is actually a new addition over what was previously Jynx. I needed a water, felt uncomfortable without a phazer, and in hindsight noticed that it's not particularly hard for opposing Vaporeon to get in and cause a great deal of unwanted damage. This serves to alleviate all three issues.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers ** Dr. Killinger
- Explosion
- Ice Punch
- Mean Look
- Thunderbolt

Thinking about using this as a lead, but I prefer to keep ghosts hidden for a while. Mean Look + Explosion is...surprisingly useful. Works like Clamp Cloyster in where I don't need to worry about my prey baiting an Explosion only to switch out. Also seems to fool people into thinking I'm running a Perish Song set.

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers ** Chaotic Waltz
- Leech Seed
- Psychic
- Stun Spore
- Substitute

I love this thing. Easy paralysis spread. Behind a Sub, Leech becomes extremely retarded and good at forcing switches over spikes. Especially easy to bait a Zapdos or Sleep Talk Raikou into, which makes both Gengar and Vaporeon that much more dangerous for them to switch into.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers ** Ooparts
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers ** Birthday Cake
- Belly Drum
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Rest

Thoughts and opinions? One thing I've found is that this team has big issues vs Curselax. I also lack physical punch outside of my own Snorlax and Explosions, so unless I'm ready to sac something, Belly Drum causes concern as well.

i think if you simply put sleep powder on exeggutor over stun spore and just save it, it can help you a lot against curselax AND drumlax. it's sort of just a makeshift counter what with the accuracy and all but it's better than nothing. otherwise i could only suggest using like heracross or tyranitar or machamp or something instead of forretress. gsc is so lame these days -.-

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You'll probably want Raikou there somewhere (probably over Zapdos) to take some defensive load off Snorlax; otherwise, you're probably not drumming.

Roar, AA, and IB are all viable on Vap, but it loves ST. A resting Vap without ST is a crutch because it really doesn't flat-out wall too many things, making it difficult to wake up.

I'd say to nix Gengar in favor of a sturdier cursleax answer/phazer if you want one. I'm not too fond of ghosts on stallish-looking teams like this, although it can work.

SubSeed egg looks better on paper than it actually performs. If they have a STer, that's the only thing you'll ever be hitting with SS, in all honesty. Standard Eggy draws zapdos/raikou and can actually kill them, which helps Vap much more than just being an extra hunk of meat for ST electrics to switch in on. Something else could go here, too, if you find Egg underperforming.

RS on Forry is really passive, and is of dubious utility in a meta where Cloyster exists. I'd go with reflect to help you set up your offense and steal the initiative from your opponent.

As far as Drumlax is concerned, stalls are innately weak to drumlax because they forgo a focus on offense. There's no surefire way to stop it once it gets in, but the best way to deal with it is to just keep using attacks, no matter how weak and inconsequential each one seems. Keeping an environment of constant pressure will keep Snorlax from coming in and/or drumming.

If you subseed, I think Stun Spore is simply much better than Sleep Powder. Subseed works great imo, especially with spikes and stuff. Even with a talker, you can't talk in front of seed + psychic, that's almost 50% a turn to zapdos, and like 36 a turn to lax or something.

Usefulness of roarvap depends a lot on vap's popularity in general, since that's one of the few things you can reliably roar. That, and ptrappers. Yeah, especially ptrappers. And trappers in general. Seems kind of odd switching vap into umbreon, but you gotta. Vap's just so weird here, not just the set, the pokemon.

Immediate fix for curselax (the eq kind, since gengar beats fb/mono), would be a curse resting forretress. I think forretress set, offensive, defensive, what have you, shouldn't be the deciding factor to use him. You use him over cloy to have a chance at keeping spikes vs starmie. That's it. Spins fine if you can get cloy's explosions out of the way, which you usually can. Cloys are more explosion happy than forretress is.

This doesn't look that stally to me at all. Maybe that's just me. And stall teams by default, don't really have problems with curselax as this one does. If anything, vap needs to be dropped for a "more reliable curselax" counter if he wants to go that route. Vap's not doing anything here defensively, or offensively, except acting as a bulky water + phazer... and guess which perennial OU does that infinitely better?

Gengar's definitely one of the wild cards here to getting that first kill imo. ML is great if you catch people, and you should take that Raikou kill every time if it's there imo.

If I had to sum it up, this is a team in search of its identity. Individually, they're great pokemon with great sets. But together, they're a troubled group.

Looks like an interesting team!
because of mine never playing gen 2 before, i have nothing to recommend to you. also, because of nobody ever being on the ladder, i'll have to wait for a tournament prob. looks fun tho!

I think that Gengar made my brain explode. Such an excellently crafted moveset. For Curselax, I can only advise Machamp over Snorlax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)