Headlines “Politics” [read the OP before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should someone be stuck in debt, sometimes for many years, because they wanted a better education? When many people go to college to have better jobs and future, I think their attempts should be rewarded, and at the very least aren't so harshly punished. Plus, college education is probably something the government owes its people anyways, since it is so crucial. Not to mention, whether something (like getting a college education) will make you richer isn't the correct question to ask, because there are so many other benefits to having an education, and wealth is not as valuable as people being more ethical and knowledgeable. Pursuing an education is hardly something that people should be antagonized or ashamed for, which they often are if they end up in debt. Speaking as an American, contrary to popular belief, it is not as if money and wealth is just everywhere and anyone with a college degree can just be automatically rich if they try.

The creation of the RESTRICT act is another proof to the thesis that you could create any law in america if it's phrased like "it'll destroy the evil commie chinese!!!!!". It is fun to see the hypocrisy of consantly pointing the firewall as an evil dictatorship move and then making your own firewall, but we'll be allowed to throw your ass in jail if you use a vpn actually.

Anyway go harass your senators or something over it
As a completely separate question, what is the whole RESTRICT act stuff and is it related to the TikTok ban? Why are lawmakers suddenly concerned with all of this?

The creation of the RESTRICT act is another proof to the thesis that you could create any law in america if it's phrased like "it'll destroy the evil commie chinese!!!!!". It is fun to see the hypocrisy of consantly pointing the firewall as an evil dictatorship move and then making your own firewall, but we'll be allowed to throw your ass in jail if you use a vpn actually.

Anyway go harass your senators or something over it
My senators are Ted Cruz and John Cornyn

The RESTRICT act has to be one of the most egregiously terrible and vague pieces of legislation I've ever seen. It would give the government blanket authority to prosecute any online activities that are opposed to the American government, regardless of their legality. Let me put some of the text in here some of the text to show how bad it is:

(a) In General. — The Secretary, in consultation with the relevant executive department and agency heads, is authorized to and shall take action to identify, deter, disrupt, prevent, prohibit, investigate, or otherwise mitigate, including by negotiating, entering into, or imposing, and enforcing any mitigation measure to address any risk arising from any covered transaction by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States that the Secretary determines—

(1) poses an undue or unacceptable risk of—

(A) sabotage or subversion of the design, integrity, manufacturing, production, distribution, installation, operation, or maintenance of information and communications technology products and services in the United States;

(B) catastrophic effects on the security or resilience of the critical infrastructure or digital economy of the United States;

(C) interfering in, or altering the result or reported result of a Federal election, as determined in coordination with the Attorney General, the Director of National Intelligence, the Secretary of Treasury, and the Federal Election Commission; or

(D) coercive or criminal activities by a foreign adversary that are designed to undermine democratic processes and institutions or steer policy and regulatory decisions in favor of the strategic objectives of a foreign adversary to the detriment of the national security of the United States, as determined in coordination with the Attorney General, the Director of National Intelligence, the Secretary of Treasury, and the Federal Election Commission; or

(2) otherwise poses an undue or unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States or the safety of United States persons.
I got this from an NR article and the author added the emphasis on certain words. Notice how vague the language is. What the hell does "undermine" or "undue or unacceptable risk" mean? Wording like this in a law has no place in a so-called free country. If you want to engage in otherwise legal activities to undermine the government, you should absolutely be able to. People have every right to oppose their government. Even beyond that, the vagueness of this language would mean in reality that a myriad of activities that aren't actively subersive could be censored and prosecuted by an authortitarian government looking for legal excuses.

The supposed goal of banning TikTok is also ridiculous. If people want to use potential Chinese spyware, let them. Americans should be free to give whatever information they want to a potentially malicious actor. As far as we know, ByteDance is NOT collecting data for nefarious purposes, and it is doubtful that they ever will - to do so would quickly be detected by the US government and result in them being shut down. The onus is on ByteDance and the CCP to initiate such a play, and right now we have no evidence that such a thing is happening. Until such a breach happens, Americans have every right to use whatever shitty software they want to. Tyrants will often use safety as excuse to restrict freedom, and this whole bill is a perfect example of that. Any congressman supporting this legislation is selling out our freedom in the name of supporting that freedom, and I find that disgusting. I agree with Lemingue - if you're American, contact your congressman and let them know that supporting this kind of legislation is unacceptable.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Tories are following a familiar feeling Republican playbook to consolidate single-issue voter support in a desperate attempt to win the next general election. That is what Conservative MPs are talking about when they mention focusing on a "narrow path" to election victory.

Last edited:
i pointed and laughed when he was arrested, i will point and laugh again if he's convicted, and i will point and laugh again if that conviction comes with meaningful consequences. triple the chances!
I can dig this. At this point, any kind of progress when it comes to these people facing consequences is in of itself worth a small celebration. With luck, everyone will get the chance to experience the enjoyment of pointing and laughing multiple times over time.

The clash between the seriousness of the leaks and the guy that supposedly leaked them is pretty funny, I almost feel like I'm watching a sitcom. As far as the content goes, can't say it's too surprising. The amount of information that the US had and in turn gave Ukraine most definitely played a huge part in fighting off Russia as well as they did early on in the invasion.

The RESTRICT act has to be one of the most egregiously terrible and vague pieces of legislation I've ever seen. It would give the government blanket authority to prosecute any online activities that are opposed to the American government, regardless of their legality. Let me put some of the text in here some of the text to show how bad it is:

I got this from an NR article and the author added the emphasis on certain words. Notice how vague the language is. What the hell does "undermine" or "undue or unacceptable risk" mean? Wording like this in a law has no place in a so-called free country. If you want to engage in otherwise legal activities to undermine the government, you should absolutely be able to. People have every right to oppose their government. Even beyond that, the vagueness of this language would mean in reality that a myriad of activities that aren't actively subersive could be censored and prosecuted by an authortitarian government looking for legal excuses.

The supposed goal of banning TikTok is also ridiculous. If people want to use potential Chinese spyware, let them. Americans should be free to give whatever information they want to a potentially malicious actor. As far as we know, ByteDance is NOT collecting data for nefarious purposes, and it is doubtful that they ever will - to do so would quickly be detected by the US government and result in them being shut down. The onus is on ByteDance and the CCP to initiate such a play, and right now we have no evidence that such a thing is happening. Until such a breach happens, Americans have every right to use whatever shitty software they want to. Tyrants will often use safety as excuse to restrict freedom, and this whole bill is a perfect example of that. Any congressman supporting this legislation is selling out our freedom in the name of supporting that freedom, and I find that disgusting. I agree with Lemingue - if you're American, contact your congressman and let them know that supporting this kind of legislation is unacceptable.
I'd like to second that we need to all contact our respective officials and protest the Restrict Act as much as possible - after reading through parts of the bill myself, I discovered that one of the worst pieces of American law (The Patriot Act) is directly cited in this act. If people thought that the US Government and Corporations were in a lobbying hotbed together before, that would be nothing compared to the horrific damage this bill will cause to civil rights and freedom of expression in our country.

guns. they suck

Late reply, but i'll copy & post this link always from now on whenever another domestic terrorist shooting, police crime, crackdown on minority rights etc. happens in this joke of a country called USA.

Meanwhile Turkey had their presidential election yesterday and neither Erdogan nor socdem candidate Kilicdaroglu got above 50% in the first primary, so another election has to be done to decide if Erdogan stays president or if Kilicdaroglu becomes new president of Turkey. There's a lot accusations of voting fraud going on, especially with Erdogan cracking down on democratic rights and civil rights for the last 20 years and whoever wins will run a further divided country.

Imagine having several times a year wildlife fires that burn down significant parts of an entire continent and having one so incredibly large now that the smoke from it endangers the health of 100 mio. people and still not doing anything against the root cause for it

It's unbelievable. People are dying, losing their homes and starving, damages from ecologic collapse have looooong overtaken any economic gains that could be made from lax legislation and the whole fucking planet is burning down. Instead of punishing the ones at fault, activists are actively pursued and average people, who can do nothing by themselves to help it, are being told to live more green

let's talk CO2.

everyone knows it's driving climate change. Arrhenius knew in 1898 and published it. Exxon knew in the 1970s and ignored it. It's not debatable. Climate change due to greenhouse emissions is a real phenomena. People can ignore it, media can attack it... and it will still happen.

we currently hover around 450 parts per million (0.045%) by-volume concentrations in atmospheric air. This is a high % of CO2 relative to historical trends, but unfortunately an extremely low concentration when it comes to chemical processes. This low concentration makes it challenging to do... anything with CO2. Additionally CO2 is a low-energy, stable molecule... there are virtually no compounds that react with CO2 spontaneously (which means the reaction requires no energy input). So even if one were to concentrate CO2, what would they do with it? Well, the current answer is... a Well. Run that shit thru a compressor to pressurize it, turn it into a liquid, and pump it so far underground that the pressure is high enough to keep it a liquid... alright.

So how would one concentrate CO2? right now companies like Exxon are exploring amine-based gas absorbers, which use liquids that CO2 likes to dissolve inside but other gasses do not. Once the CO2 is dissolved, you can boil the liquid to release all the CO2 and almost nothing else... This is best done at the source of the CO2 generation, where CO2 might be in the range of 5 - 15% by-volume instead of 0.045%. Here's why this is important to companies:

Imagine u want to capture 100 liters of CO2... to get that from ambient air, it would require a minimum of ~2.2 million liters of air. At 5% CO2 by-volume, you would only need to treat 2000 liters. And it's way way less expensive to design/build a train to move 2000 people compared to a train that needs to move 2.2 million people. This is a gross oversimplification... but it brings me to my first tangent: COST and DOLLARS

You know what CO2 isn't? Valuable.

You can't sell it. You can't make anything from it. It's worthless. That's how CEOs and boards and people who control the money see CO2: something worthless. And when something is worthless, there's no revenues to collect, there's no profit to be made. Regardless of where you stand on the viability of capitalism as an economic system, this is a problem it cannot solve. There is only money to be lost and none to be made. This is a problem that cannot be solved by private entities. It must be solved by governments. Governments must force companies to reduce CO2 emissions. Enough of the bullshit with carbon credits and tax incentives and focus on consumers that generally do nothing - put a maximum limit on Tonnes of CO2 per year that any site can emit, just like regulatory agencies do to acids, particulate matter, metals, organics, etc etc. It's going to cost money and resources - who will pay is another story (ethically it should be the soulless corporations who knowingly created this mess, realistically it will be the taxpayers, and currently it's no one).

Now tied into this - limitations to current technologies. We are years away from any CO2 removal technologies that can be used at-scale (this is my day job). And even if the technology was here today, it alone wouldn't be enough. Why? Well, let's talk emissions sources and emissions rates:

So here we can see 75% of emissions come from energy generation. There are three parts to this - energy as HEAT, energy as COMBUSTION, and energy as ELECTRICITY.

Energy as heat is something like an industrial kiln (ie for cement production) or blast furnace (ie for steelmaking) or separation tower (ie for oil processing). Heat generation is the goal.

Energy as combustion covers things like internal combustion engines in your car, ships, etc.

Energy as electricity covers steam turbines, gas-fired turbines, combined cycle plants, and boilers.

Why does this matter?
ENERGY AS HEAT: generally you're looking to produce heat at temperatures or rates that aren't possible with induction (electric heating). Efficiencies can vary wildly from 0% - 95%. Stuff that isn't operating at 50% efficiency or above is low-hanging fruit that can be increased greatly with existing technologies to lower fuel consumption. Largely shown as the "energy portion used in industry" section of the graph.

ENERGY AS COMBUSTION: these engines generally operate at 30-40% efficiency. Largely the transportation portion of the graph

ENERGY AS ELECTRICITY: Large-scale turbines operate at 55-65% efficiency. It's the rest of the energy section of the graph

I really want to address this BECAUSE these 3 are the big focus of most educated (neolib) people's CO2 reduction campaigns. I don't know how many times I've seen "EVs are moving us in the right direction so FAST" and it's not right at all. In the slightest. Because the only gains you can ever receive is the increased efficiency of producing your energy using a turbine (at ~60%) vs an engine (~35%). Let's do the math here: 1 - (35% / 60%) = 42.2%. If we switched every single mode of transport to use electrical energy, we are going to reduce emissions in this sector by 40%. But you know what? That's still a fucking shitload of CO2. Like... imagine you only clean up 40% of your dog's crap... honestly almost as bad as doing nothing.

For the areas that already use electricity, like buildings (aka people) and manufacturing, there are no potential reductions in CO2 by changing energy sources. You need to design differently to consume less energy. For buildings, this can be LEED certifications but for other items in this group, it's just not possible. And this brings me to my next point - you could decrease emissions by 99% at the creation point and it will still be greater than none. If you put a bucket under your sink and slowly lowered the flow coming the tap, that bucket will still eventually overflow. To decrease CO2 emissions, we need to remove it from the atmosphere. As we covered earlier, technology will probably never exist to remove CO2 from air due to the low concentrations. We need to plant trees and cultivate forests to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. And we need to plant enough to absorb more than we emit. That's a shitload of trees - as shown in the graph, we emitted 50 billion tonnes of CO2 in 2016. A single mature tree captures about 0.045 tonnes of CO2 over its lifetime. Even if you cut the 2016 emission rate in half (a lofty goal), that is 555 billion trees per year. And that's on land that already doesn't have trees. AND we need to do it while emitting minimal amounts of CO2.

anyway im tired and got shit to do so here's the sparknotes version because i cant finish the rest rn
  • CAPITALISM CANNOT SOLVE CLIMATE CHANGE, ONLY GOVERNMENTS CAN
  • WE MUST CAPTURE CO2 AT THE SOURCE AND IMPROVE INDUSTRIAL EFFICIENCIES TO PREVENT MORE CO2 FROM ENTERING THE ATMOSPHERE
  • WE MUST REMOVE CO2 FROM THE ATMOSPHERE BY CULTIVATING TREES AND OTHER BIOMASS
  • WE MUST REDUCE CONSUMPTION OF GOODS TO REDUCE PRODUCTION AS EFFICIENCY GAINS ALONE CANNOT GET US TO A POINT WHERE TREES CAN CARRY US ACROSS THE FINISH LINE
    • THIS IS ANTI-THETICAL TO CAPITALISM AND THE CONCEPT OF INFINITE GROWTH
    • NUCLEAR POWER IS GOOD
    • BIOMASS FUEL IS NOT GOOD RIGHT NOW

WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT ON THIS PATH

ASK ME ANYTHING RELATED TO THIS,AND I SHALL PROVIDE the... ANSWER!!!

let's talk CO2.

everyone knows it's driving climate change. Arrhenius knew in 1898 and published it. Exxon knew in the 1970s and ignored it. It's not debatable. Climate change due to greenhouse emissions is a real phenomena. People can ignore it, media can attack it... and it will still happen.

we currently hover around 450 parts per million (0.045%) by-volume concentrations in atmospheric air. This is a high % of CO2 relative to historical trends, but unfortunately an extremely low concentration when it comes to chemical processes. This low concentration makes it challenging to do... anything with CO2. Additionally CO2 is a low-energy, stable molecule... there are virtually no compounds that react with CO2 spontaneously (which means the reaction requires no energy input). So even if one were to concentrate CO2, what would they do with it? Well, the current answer is... a Well. Run that shit thru a compressor to pressurize it, turn it into a liquid, and pump it so far underground that the pressure is high enough to keep it a liquid... alright.

So how would one concentrate CO2? right now companies like Exxon are exploring amine-based gas absorbers, which use liquids that CO2 likes to dissolve inside but other gasses do not. Once the CO2 is dissolved, you can boil the liquid to release all the CO2 and almost nothing else... This is best done at the source of the CO2 generation, where CO2 might be in the range of 5 - 15% by-volume instead of 0.045%. Here's why this is important to companies:

Imagine u want to capture 100 liters of CO2... to get that from ambient air, it would require a minimum of ~2.2 million liters of air. At 5% CO2 by-volume, you would only need to treat 2000 liters. And it's way way less expensive to design/build a train to move 2000 people compared to a train that needs to move 2.2 million people. This is a gross oversimplification... but it brings me to my first tangent: COST and DOLLARS

You know what CO2 isn't? Valuable.

You can't sell it. You can't make anything from it. It's worthless. That's how CEOs and boards and people who control the money see CO2: something worthless. And when something is worthless, there's no revenues to collect, there's no profit to be made. Regardless of where you stand on the viability of capitalism as an economic system, this is a problem it cannot solve. There is only money to be lost and none to be made. This is a problem that cannot be solved by private entities. It must be solved by governments. Governments must force companies to reduce CO2 emissions. Enough of the bullshit with carbon credits and tax incentives and focus on consumers that generally do nothing - put a maximum limit on Tonnes of CO2 per year that any site can emit, just like regulatory agencies do to acids, particulate matter, metals, organics, etc etc. It's going to cost money and resources - who will pay is another story (ethically it should be the soulless corporations who knowingly created this mess, realistically it will be the taxpayers, and currently it's no one).

Now tied into this - limitations to current technologies. We are years away from any CO2 removal technologies that can be used at-scale (this is my day job). And even if the technology was here today, it alone wouldn't be enough. Why? Well, let's talk emissions sources and emissions rates:

So here we can see 75% of emissions come from energy generation. There are three parts to this - energy as HEAT, energy as COMBUSTION, and energy as ELECTRICITY.

Energy as heat is something like an industrial kiln (ie for cement production) or blast furnace (ie for steelmaking) or separation tower (ie for oil processing). Heat generation is the goal.

Energy as combustion covers things like internal combustion engines in your car, ships, etc.

Energy as electricity covers steam turbines, gas-fired turbines, combined cycle plants, and boilers.

Why does this matter?
ENERGY AS HEAT: generally you're looking to produce heat at temperatures or rates that aren't possible with induction (electric heating). Efficiencies can vary wildly from 0% - 95%. Stuff that isn't operating at 50% efficiency or above is low-hanging fruit that can be increased greatly with existing technologies to lower fuel consumption. Largely shown as the "energy portion used in industry" section of the graph.

ENERGY AS COMBUSTION: these engines generally operate at 30-40% efficiency. Largely the transportation portion of the graph

ENERGY AS ELECTRICITY: Large-scale turbines operate at 55-65% efficiency. It's the rest of the energy section of the graph

I really want to address this BECAUSE these 3 are the big focus of most educated (neolib) people's CO2 reduction campaigns. I don't know how many times I've seen "EVs are moving us in the right direction so FAST" and it's not right at all. In the slightest. Because the only gains you can ever receive is the increased efficiency of producing your energy using a turbine (at ~60%) vs an engine (~35%). Let's do the math here: 1 - (35% / 60%) = 42.2%. If we switched every single mode of transport to use electrical energy, we are going to reduce emissions in this sector by 40%. But you know what? That's still a fucking shitload of CO2. Like... imagine you only clean up 40% of your dog's crap... honestly almost as bad as doing nothing.

For the areas that already use electricity, like buildings (aka people) and manufacturing, there are no potential reductions in CO2 by changing energy sources. You need to design differently to consume less energy. For buildings, this can be LEED certifications but for other items in this group, it's just not possible. And this brings me to my next point - you could decrease emissions by 99% at the creation point and it will still be greater than none. If you put a bucket under your sink and slowly lowered the flow coming the tap, that bucket will still eventually overflow. To decrease CO2 emissions, we need to remove it from the atmosphere. As we covered earlier, technology will probably never exist to remove CO2 from air due to the low concentrations. We need to plant trees and cultivate forests to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. And we need to plant enough to absorb more than we emit. That's a shitload of trees - as shown in the graph, we emitted 50 billion tonnes of CO2 in 2016. A single mature tree captures about 0.045 tonnes of CO2 over its lifetime. Even if you cut the 2016 emission rate in half (a lofty goal), that is 555 billion trees per year. And that's on land that already doesn't have trees. AND we need to do it while emitting minimal amounts of CO2.

anyway im tired and got shit to do so here's the sparknotes version because i cant finish the rest rn
  • CAPITALISM CANNOT SOLVE CLIMATE CHANGE, ONLY GOVERNMENTS CAN
  • WE MUST CAPTURE CO2 AT THE SOURCE AND IMPROVE INDUSTRIAL EFFICIENCIES TO PREVENT MORE CO2 FROM ENTERING THE ATMOSPHERE
  • WE MUST REMOVE CO2 FROM THE ATMOSPHERE BY CULTIVATING TREES AND OTHER BIOMASS
  • WE MUST REDUCE CONSUMPTION OF GOODS TO REDUCE PRODUCTION AS EFFICIENCY GAINS ALONE CANNOT GET US TO A POINT WHERE TREES CAN CARRY US ACROSS THE FINISH LINE
    • THIS IS ANTI-THETICAL TO CAPITALISM AND THE CONCEPT OF INFINITE GROWTH
    • NUCLEAR POWER IS GOOD
    • BIOMASS FUEL IS NOT GOOD RIGHT NOW

ASK ME ANYTHING RELATED TO THIS,AND I SHALL PROVIDE the... ANSWER!!!
Goddamn that was some quality explaination. Couldn't agree more, and it's a damn shame that there's still many people who don't understand how important all of this is.

is there hope zf. is there any hope at all
some days I wake up and am optimistic and others... I see no way out.

People in the field certainly talk about CO2 capture... I have seen an uptick in requests / companies looking for point-source CO2 control, largely in petrochem, steel, and power. However... without divulging too much, these requests are asking for designs, for process solutions. Designs must be piloted/tested as they are novel processes. Then we might talk about designing a full-scale solution. This is optimistically 5 years of work before anyone institutes any CO2 capture systems at scale. and that's assuming they're serious and have funding.

Of the 10+ CO2 capture projects i've been involved with in some way, i have only seen one go to the piloting stage (in the UK / north sea). The rest have been silent.

The issue is the money. There is no money to be made in goodwill, so companies "explore" the design stage to claim credits/incentives/good press because process engineering is cheap, relatively speaking (you can engineer a solution for $300k, but building it might cost $300 million). There is no money when it comes to making equipment, or building plants. This is where the government needs to step in. Force them to build these additions, or face actual consequences.

But the governments have been weak at addressing this issue. I don't expect that to get better overnight.

We are actually going the wrong direction when it comes to cultivating biomass. Between fires, consumption for wood products, or just clearing land for agricultural use (cough FUCK BOLSONARO cough), we are moving the wrong way. You can read about it here. Personally I dream of a future where a new WPA is created to address this issue,,,, but it's just not realistic.

Then we have the whole cultural issue. There are lots of people who could care and have power to make changes but lack empathy (CEOs, politicians) because they aren't affected... there are lots of educated people who don't think it's an issue (a coworker led a panel on carbon capture systems at a national conference this year, yet doesn't believe in man-made climate change... this is sadly pervasive within industry - see my opening statement for my thoughts here).

Unfortunately I see things getting much worse before they get better. It's just late-stage capitalism. And honestly, you and I can't stop it. We are but powerless observers...

When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money...

Only when the politician, when the executive - when their profits and quality of life personally decline, when the consequences are apparent and imminent - will we ever see necessary action. Teddy K may have gotten a couple things right all those years ago...

Last edited:
I know it's still a year away and all, but man am I nervous as hell for the 2024 election through all of this. If Trump can't run (hopefully because he's imprisoned but I can't say I'm hopeful with the justice system and how they've dealt with rich, powerful people so far) there's a barrel filled of people even worse that spout the same asinine and insane things he does, if not worse. The only bright side being none of them really have the cult of personality that Trump has created around himself. I'm no big fan of Biden, but I'd even vote for his used trousers if they ran for president over the other option at this point.

As an outsider, I don't really see any difference between the democrats that have a shot at presidency and republicans, except for image. When you look at Biden's presidency, he really just did whatever Trump did but announced these actions differently. For example, going back to this climate org thing. What's the point? The whole org doesn't do shit anyway and the US are still as unclean as they could be

There's also just no longterm solutions from the dems. The supreme court is filled with people who shouldn't be there and they act irrationally, but instead of bringing changes such as members of the court having fixed length terms, they want to expand it. What's the point? Bad actors can still join the supreme court and Reps could also just expand the court to bring in more judges in their favor

I used to think the problem is that powerful Dems are deeply conservative too but honestly, it's more that there's some sick sense of needing to stay in status quo. No actual changes or developments occur in the long run. It's purely reactive in accordance to what corpos want

As an outsider, I don't really see any difference between the democrats that have a shot at presidency and republicans, except for image. When you look at Biden's presidency, he really just did whatever Trump did but announced these actions differently. For example, going back to this climate org thing. What's the point? The whole org doesn't do shit anyway and the US are still as unclean as they could be

There's also just no longterm solutions from the dems. The supreme court is filled with people who shouldn't be there and they act irrationally, but instead of bringing changes such as members of the court having fixed length terms, they want to expand it. What's the point? Bad actors can still join the supreme court and Reps could also just expand the court to bring in more judges in their favor

I used to think the problem is that powerful Dems are deeply conservative too but honestly, it's more that there's some sick sense of needing to stay in status quo. No actual changes or developments occur in the long run. It's purely reactive in accordance to what corpos want
I'm going to end up writing a novel here because US politics are a mess, so apologies in advance. You're right that the Democrats generally want the status quo to remain, or at least not change drastically. In general, politicians in the US are working for corporate interests that donate to them, and there are very few that aren't bought out in one way or another. It's unfortunately just how our political system has turned out. There are some Democrats that align more closely with conservative ideals as well, like Henry Cuellar from Texas who actually supported the reversing of Roe v Wade, and voted numerous times against his own party (voted against legalizing Marijuana federally and joined Republicans in voting against a ban on assault weapons).

However, the fact is the Democrats, as spineless and unorganized as they can be, are infinitely better than the Republican party for many different reasons even if it may seem like there's not much of a difference to some. Now, don't get me wrong, that's not to say the Democrats are good per se, and they've made plenty of mistakes and done things I don't agree on, but just looking at the voting record for both parties tells the whole story. Republican staunchly oppose rights for any LGBTQ+ individuals, generally look down on anyone who may be poor and requires help from the government, and have quite a horrible track record with how they treat minority groups over the years to make a very, very long story short. Furthermore, they have no interest in actually governing the country at this point. They simply want to, as the kids say, "own the libs" anyway they can by being completely contrarian to anything resembling progress.

Biden has a much better record of passing bills and has generally been an improvement in every possible way over Trump with that in mind. He was not anyone's first choice, nor is he anything close to perfect or even great at this point, but he is what people were vying for after the debacle of Trump's presidency. He's average. Someone who could actually make a speech where you could understand what the hell they were saying. and someone where you didn't need to check the news every morning to see if he did something completely bonkers like blow up an Iranian general outside of war time or ask a foreign country for non-existent dirt on another presidential candidate. He and the Democrats passed the final of the COVID relief bill, which while inadequate we would have never gotten at all with a second Trump term. The Bipartisan Infrastructure bill, CHIPS bill, Inflation Reduction Act, etc. Some of these were better than others, some didn't do enough, but the fact is they were made and passed because the Democrats controlled the Senate, the House for a time, and the presidency.

The problem with long-term solutions is that you basically need a super majority in the Senate and to control both the presidency and the House to do anything. The Democrats barely have the Senate as is, as Krysten Synema from Arizona left the party to become an Independent and can hardly be trusted to do anything above the bare minimum and Joe Manchin from West Virginia is basically as close to Republican as you can get and still be apart of the Democratic Party due to West Virginia being extremely Republican favored. The Democrats barely control 50 seats with that in mind, whereas you need 60 for a super majority otherwise Republicans will filibuster anything worth passing every single time. For the other two branches, they obviously control the presidency but do not control the House. So, in the end, they can't do anything huge without being blocked one way or another because of how our government unfortunately works. They can't change the term length of justices, expand it, nothing. They can't even really pass any progressive bills either. It's basically a brick wall because Republicans tend to always fall in line and vote along the party line and the Democrats have quite a few different groups within them that all have varying ideas on governance.

America as a country is deeply divided at this point in time, and without either side being able to attain all three branches of our government with a fillibuster-proof super majority in the Senate, nothing major will change despite it absolutely needing to. As long as corporations are happy, the politicians won't risk their livelihoods over things that they see as trivial or unimportant. Both parties are corporate bootlickers. However, if my choice is between the bootlicking party that supports the rights for everyone, no matter what they may identify as or how well off they are and the bootlicking party that has had it's more crazy members flirt with fascist ideas, is against the rights for anyone that their religion deems undesirable, and thinks being poor is just a matter of someone not trying hard enough, I'd side with the ones that have infinitely more empathy for others. Whatever someones political views may be, I think denying people's right to be themselves is objectively wrong. Someone's opinions or views does not override another's rights.

When you have a party that has shown to be as inept and completely detached from reality as the Republicans have been in recent years, is it any wonder how the Democrats can be seen as the much better choice by many despite their shortcomings? As for my personal views on all of it... I hope one day the Republican party dissolves completely. Democrats should replace the Republicans as the right-wing party of America and a new, more progressive party takes the spot of the Democrats, with many more smaller parties finally being more viable instead of a broken two-party system. Maybe then, and maybe only then, will we be able to catch up with the rest of the first-world in healthcare, gun control, workers rights, and environmental change.

With that, I end this far, far too long of a post where I rambled on like an elderly man and probably missed an entire point somewhere. Adieu.

Trump just casually making Watergate look like a minor issue.

The problem is that you have two different flavors of the same fundamental ideology (neoliberalism). There's no real choice in American politics, only the illusion of choice. Votes are entirely decided by economically unimportant social issues. Make no mistake; those social issues are extremely important in their own right, and voting for the soulless neoliberal hack who is at least ostensibly on board with the LGBTQIA+ community and supports some mildly progressive policies is better than voting for the soulless neoliberal hack who wants to send trans people to jail and execute Mexicans.

That being said, when it comes to actually addressing the root of these issues (and many others), the Democrats and Republicans subscribe to effectively the same ideology, and solutions outside that ideology are simply not on the table. This is why it seems like establishment Dems fight so hard for the status quo; they do.

Last edited:

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Is your job focused solely on CO2 emissions in atmospheric conditions or within the context of your job have you looked at the effects of excess human emissions on the hydrosphere?
even though I have an interest in oceanography there's significantly less info and (seemingly) significantly less concern for the ocean, both from individuals and from the large corporations/governments that shit emissions and particulates into the oceans by the gigaton.
I'm aware that the largest source of carbon capture currently is the ocean. capture post-source is unsustainable, but do we fully understand the effects of the ocean and is there further research being done? are these effects dwindling as we reach some sort of saturation, and do we even fully understand the rate and impact of increasing ocean acidity? are we even more fucked in the water than we are in the air?

Is your job focused solely on CO2 emissions in atmospheric conditions or within the context of your job have you looked at the effects of excess human emissions on the hydrosphere?
Without doxxing myself… i work for a firm that designs chemical plants. Within the firm, I work in air pollution control and am considered a subject matter expect in a couple of specific technologies. Generally CO2 is not a compound that has historically been targeted for control, so everything around it is relatively new

i don’t study the effects of CO2 concentration, but can view the situation from a solution/chemistry standpoint

even though I have an interest in oceanography there's significantly less info and (seemingly) significantly less concern for the ocean, both from individuals and from the large corporations/governments that shit emissions and particulates into the oceans by the gigaton.
I'm aware that the largest source of carbon capture currently is the ocean. capture post-source is unsustainable, but do we fully understand the effects of the ocean and is there further research being done? are these effects dwindling as we reach some sort of saturation, and do we even fully understand the rate and impact of increasing ocean acidity? are we even more fucked in the water than we are in the air?
I’ll preface this by saying oceans are complicated - there are temperature and pressure gradients associated with depth and seasonal weather conditions, which means local areas can have very different outcomes from my following statements.
Obviously as atmospheric CO2 levels rise, the concentration of dissolved CO2 increases.

dissolved gaseous CO2 will react with water to form H2CO3 (carbonic acid), which lowers the overall bulk pH of the system.

as for the effects- they are hard to quantify. CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) which makes up shells, corals, and some rocks (ie limestone) will certainly dissolve into Ca 2+ and CO3 2- ions. Basically we know shells will start dissolving, which probably kills a big chuck on marine life. Additionally - reproductive processes for many non-shelled animals may be impacted. Eggshells will dissolve slightly, and chemistry inside eggs will be exposed to a more acidic environment. Many enzymes are also effectwd greatly by pH - it’s hard to say what species will beaffected and where, but it certainly will happen

at this point though, we don’t have any hard and fast knowledge as to what will happen. I imagine this is currently a well-researched topic for many oceanographicand marine scientists.

some quick calcs to show what we’re dealing with:

1686584914622.png

Of course, the oceans are alkaline to begin with and contain many many additional compounds - but the point stands. We are probably looking at an overall potential pH change in the range of 0.5 to 1 from the current state - this is equivalent to up to 10 times higher free H+ ion, aka “acidity”

Lastly we know high CO2 concentrations (and therefore oceanic acidification) has lead to mass extinction events in the past. I can’t say with certainty what the outcome will be, but i would say “not good”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)