AAA Almost Any Ability Suspect: Weavile

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
It's time for a suspect!

1545254828542.png

With the conclusion of WCoOM, we will be suspecting Weavile in AAA
-Weavile has now become the greatest teambuilding restriction in the entire metagame. With its blinding speed and access to Pursuit, the ability for this Pokemon to outspeed and punish entire teams is unmatched. Adaptability is the main choice for ability, giving Weavile an added boost to its already amazing STAB coverage. The devastation Weavile brings can be seen in full effect in my own game vs Hamx4 in World Cup. Other options that people use on Weavile is Refrigerate for STAB Fake Out, Galvanize for luring Tapu Fini and Skarmory, and even Flash Fire, when teams are starved for a Fire immune or Victini killer.​

Suspect details: Suspects require you to achieve a certain GXE while playing over a certain amount of games. The trend with suspects is not using a suspect ladder, and just using the standard AAA ladder. Participants will therefore need to use a new alt to fulfill the requirements. More details below
  • All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! AAA ladder on a new alt acc with the following format: "WAAA (Nick)." For example, I might register the alt WAAA jrdn to ladder with. You must meet the listed format in order to qualify.
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 30 games, and
  • You must have a minimum GXE of 78.
Tentatively think that's all there is. This is my first time hosting a suspect of any kind, so If I'm missing something, please let me know. I hope the reqs are reasonable as well, and please participate. AAA is the best meta and it deserves more play :) Deadline is Sunday December 30th at 11:59 GMT-4

If you have any questions I will definitely probably ask someone else to answer it for me and then get back to you and look like I know what I'm doing. Edit: Especially when I egregiously Copy & Paste this post from the Zygarde suspect I ran in August.

Tagging The Immortal

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
fastest reqs ive ever achieved woo
1545327667519.png

I think I'll be voting ban on Weavile, mostly because it's so centralizing. I used rozes' teams (it's notable that he used Weavile on all of the teams he used and had almost an undefeated record) I haven't played with the other options, but Adaptability with Band hits like a truck while Scarf + Foul Play is probably the best revenge killer to runaway physical sweepers (besides like Triage Buzzwole/Golisopod). With such a powerful Pursuit, it really dissuades using Choice items on mons whose STABs don't hit Weavile effectively, while more defensive teams require good counterplay to prevent Weavile simply spamming Knock Off and Pursuit. Krookodile, which will likely be the alternative if Weavile is banned, is nowhere near as good, though it does hit Tapu Fini neutrally.

also first xd

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I did the thing.
aaa req.png
I'm gonna be honest, this is the most indecisive I've felt during any suspect. I can make arguments for both sides, but I'm not leaning strongly in any one direction. I'll probably just wait, read some posts, and decide based on the best argument I see.

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
got reqs, aaa ladder is rly dead, and I got haxed by missing magma storm 3 TIMES on a celebi, but ANYWAYS

Screenshot (17).png

with that out of the way, I think I'll be voting BAN. Weavile being capable of sweeping teams is probably smth we all already know, but the fact that you can run foul play on Weavile and still do a lot with that weavile says a lot to me, tbh. Scarf Adapt Weavile is super nasty, but even banded Adapt Weavile doesn't slack off on the revenge killing potential. It's actually kinda scary how Weavile can just kinda get rid of whatever threat you're having problems with. Flash Fire Weavile eliminates Victini if you're having problems with that. Refrigerate Weavile gets rid of any faster ice-weak mons with Fake Out, and adapt just deletes so many mons, lol. As anaconja said, the fact that scarf + foul play can stop runaway sweepers is kinda scary, and while I've only faced weavile a few times, I was always worried that it would just rk the physical attacker I had out. Scarf Pursuit was also rly dumb, because I could just delete Mega Alakazam at virtually no cost. And even when I used banded Weavile, the fact that it lived a Dazzling Gleam from Mega Alakazam is kinda stupid too. Overall, while Weavile has a viable counter in Tapu Fini, the fact that it can usually do its job each match is super dumb, and should go.

I had to take part in this after pushing jrdn for it since that damned world Cup game
IMG_20181225_193339.jpg

Weavile for me is incredibly centralising. It has very few actual solid checks and even less that are actually good in general in this tier. On top of that, the most popular checks imo, fini and magearna, neither actually appreciate getting knocked as they lose their toxic orb or av respectively forcing you to play aggressive early game as the fini player just too make sure you get yourself poisoned else you don't even check weavile well at all. Magearna on the other hand is easily trapped, struggles more to check the likes of noivern after a knock, or, if you're running an offensive variant, you may think that still checks it on paper, but it's actually barely a check at all. I'm super bad at writing posts but I'm hugely in favour of a weavile BAN

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
1545841075360.png

You might be wondering how I lost my 1 game. Was I outplayed? Have bad match up? Haxed perhaps? Alas you would be wrong, because didn't lose a single match. I was cruising and halfway through I wanted to check my progress.... and there was my 1 loss, just chilling there, completely uninvited to the party. Truly unfortunate way to miss out on the 30-0, but thems the breaks.

Anyway, the nature of OMs usually means that if something gets suspected, the council thinks it's busted. Weavile is said buster. It completely limits team choices with the ridiculous power output of adaptability + CB. Pursuit is broken is hell, if it weren't for that, this pokemon wouldn't be getting suspected. Every ghost and psychic type pokemon in the world is less viable because of the existence of this one pokemon. Ban this boi

1546018363339.png

You might be wondering how I lost my 1 game. Was I outplayed? Have bad match up? Haxed perhaps? Alas you would be wrong, because didn't lose a single match. I was cruising and halfway through I wanted to check my progress.... and there was my 1 loss, just chilling there, completely uninvited to the party. Truly unfortunate way to miss out on the 30-0, but thems the breaks.

Ban

waaa.png

You might be wondering how I lost my 5 games. Was I outplayed? Have bad match up? Haxed perhaps? Alas you would be correct, because I'm a total noob and I suck at this game. Truly deserved to miss out on the 26-4. (also I lost twice to TrueGodsLeftUs )

For my first time ever voting in any sort of Smogon suspect test, I'm voting NO BAN. I've made it this far in life using the karate I learned on the Internet stall teams, so all I know about Weavile is that Buzzwole and several bulky waters switch into it comfortably. I don't really care how much yall complain about getting outsped; I get outsped all the time and it's fine.

Before I go, I wanted to wish good luck to someone named Arctic, who was trying to meet requirements just like me. He/she/it forfeited some of his/her/its own GXE to let me qualify, and possibly saved both of us from a 222-turn stall fight. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yo first of all, Sumwun absolutely no problem, always happy to help out others especially considering you were so close. Second of all, wew I did it and got reqs! I have a limited experience in AAA as a whole, but I've been aware of the tier and have theoried around with it for a while. I didn't think Weavile was all that busted coming in, but the games I played against it proved me wrong. The potential this thing has is crazy and the amount of lure sets it can run is insane. It hits like a truck and even if you can beat it, there's always the potential of Icicle Crash ruining your day through flinches. The other thing I noticed was the amount of Finis on the ladder is insane, which I'm assuming is partially the work of Weavile.

I'm sorry my child, but I must vote BAN for you. :(

Attachments

Thought I would chime in even though I'm pretty removed from mons rn, and further removed from AAA.
Whenever I played AAA, it always feels like Weavile is the greatest overlying force when building a team. If you don't have a Mag, Fini, Buzz, or some other obscenely bulky PH user, you are gonna have problems switching into Weavile. And even then, Mag probably doesn't want to lose its item and you have to get PH activated or you get Knocked. However, the problem with Weavile is even if you still have one of its defensive answers, you can still get absolutely destroyed by it. The power of Pursuit backed by Adaptability along with that speed threatens so many mons with an OHKO that it forces way too many 50/50's to be healthy, which can lead to destruction of teams even when Weavile counters are on deck. I fealt like even having 1 or 2 mons that are easily trapped could leave you severely weak to Weavile. Refrigerate is still a dogshit set tho
So if I went for a reqs run I would vote ban, seemingly like everybody else is. Hopefully the imminent ban of Weavile leads to building being a lot less centralized than this tier has been.

omg my bad, i thought we were going to do it thru blind voting like most suspects andy this thread was only for discussing..

anyways, the team i got reqs with has adapt weavile on it, and since i saw it bopping like 75% of the viable mons on AAA (even physical fat walls like toxapex) with a single knock off i felt weav is really frail, it takes like two hits at much (not surprised since it has lackluster defenses) it’s weak to rocks, and any triage user can get rid of it. however, it’s understandable that right now it’s a thing to take in account when team building and even restrict it, but from my personal experience i will be voting NO BAN (and i don’t think it matters that much since everyone is voting to ban it lmao :psyduck: but just wanted to state how i felt during the suspect) xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)