AAA Almost Any Ability Suspect Test: Victory Lap

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

Victini Suspect Test!

It's time for another suspect test in the Almost Any Ability metagame! Throughout the most recent OMPL, we have seen many threats take center stage in the majority of high-competitive games in the format. The most notable examples being Noivern, Blacephalon, Naganadel, Buzzwole, and Landorus-T. However, no threat has been as consistently threatening and has had such an impact on teambuilding then Victini, displaying a superb amount of usage and success as a result. Although it's most common sets, mainly being abilities such as Desolate Land, Tinted Lens, and Mold Breaker (for Flash Fire users that are commonly added to take on it's nuclear attacks such as the near exclusively powerful V-Create), other sets such as Life Orb Sheer Force and Z-Celebrate combined with a myriad of other abilities have really made counteracting Victini seem almost impossible at times. Although other threats continue to roam the AAA metagame, the council has decided that Victini was the most pressing issue at the moment and is why we have decided to suspect it after OMPL concluded.

Some replays of it in action:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-944347736
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-940435103
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-937015679

Suspect details: Suspects require you to achieve a certain GXE while playing over a certain amount of games. The trend with suspects is not using a suspect ladder, and just using the standard AAA ladder. Participants will therefore need to use a new alt to fulfill the requirements. More details below
  • All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! AAA ladder on a new alt acc with the following format: "VAAA (Nick)." For example, I might register the alt VAAA funbot to ladder with. You must meet the listed format in order to qualify.
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 25 games, and you must have a minimum GXE of 78.
  • Suspect test will end on September 27th (11:59pm EST). Victini will be allowed on the suspect ladder.
  • A super-majority of 60% ban is required for Victini to be banned
Feel free to share your thoughts on the suspect and please remember to remain civil and on topic. Voting will be held in the Blind Voting Forum so it is not necessary to cast your votes here, just post proof of reqs.

The Immortal :blobpex:

Last edited:

this was painful, took 20 mins to find a game and prob about half of these games were vs in-game teams so to speak.
But ive made my viewpoint on victini pretty clear in the om discord. It's broken as fuck. I can't think a single mon that you can switch in on a victini with 100% confidence turn 1 knowing that you can 1v1 it no matter what. Flash fires lose to sheer force life orb sets/mold breaker sets. TTar can get ohkod by tinted band or will get 2hkod cause if your running the bulk you are then slower than -1 jolly vic. And then theres z-celebrate sets which can clean up games so easily whether you're running adaptability and everything just dies or soul-heart where you spiral out of control especially since these sets can run taunt too. Dumb brokemon, let get rid of it :blobthumbsup:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
gotten

Victini has counterplay but it puts such an annoying ass strain on building, throughout OMPL I realized how fuckin stupid building this tier is atm. Victini was probably the biggest reason for this, forcing subpar role compression onto every team like ff exca n shit is so painful. Having shit like ff cele and still not covering tini to a desirable extent is annoying as fuck, another example is ff ferro and not covering volc. The fact that both volc and tini are generally walled by flash fire steels but completely different flash fire steels (a lot of the time) is a process in building that is truly fuckin depressing. This is all w/ really only thinking about the choiced sets. Sheer Force, Soul Heart + z cele, and others are all viable as fuck which is annoying as FUCK. Ban this and make the tier enjoyable or healthy to at least some sort of extent pls.

Used this team.

s/o to the dude I kept getting on the ladder so they cteamed me with 3 birds and 2 sets that wall my shit. I won but it was a valiant effort.

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gotten the reqs , was awful to ladd with ladder guys who run Xurk in almost every team :psyangry:
(and yea no idea for the nick after many fail soo i just pick some random number, i hope that is fine)
Overall, i'm agree with the posts viv and ham, victini is too hard to manage at teambuilding, lot of check cannot switch in wrong set. Ban this.

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Screenshot_642.png

AAA ladder is kind of fun, but Victini proved to be a real nuisance. Faced 3 different sets (Tinted Lens, Soul Heart Z Celebrate and Desolate Scarf) and every time I saw it on preview I had to RPS my way into thinking what I could and could not switch into it. It's not exactly the most broken thing I've seen run around this specific metagame, but it's surely not the healthiest attacker, either.

On a sidenote, shame on every single person who couldn't think of a good pun to use for this suspect. Only exception is ham x4 and myself from the people I ran into.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
This might be an ignorant question, but why can't I see a victini forum in the blind voting forum? Is the voting after the suspect test?

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 6.42.34 PM.png

no exact reqs here
don't really play aaa, so seeing some anti-ban arguments (if they exist) would be cool, otherwise probs just gonna vote ban cause from what i've seen in battling figuring out set can often cost a mon if not more and seems to be too versatile + strong

01010101.png

Victini is a powerful Pokémon for the level, enough for everyone to create their set based on it. And at the beginning it was very difficult for me to adapt to victini, due to my little experience in the level. Obviously I will give the proibition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)