Monotype Aggressive Flying Team

This is a team for a random competition where I am allowed one Legendary. The legendary/other pokemon can be any tier as long as there is only one legendary.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Iron Head
- Roost

Corviknight is my defensive wall. Honestly one of the best pokemon on this team with the iron defense/body press. It's not even close to an original build, but I haven't changed what works. Corviknight is also good for its Ice and Rock neutrality, which is sorely needed on this team. I think the only change I made from the Smogon suggestion was giving it Mirror Armor, which seems like a no brainer to have.

Gyarados @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Waterfall

Gyarados is a solid sweeper. With Earthquake, Power Whip and Waterfall I can usually reliably take down 1-3 mons depending on who I'm against. Other than freeze dry Gyarados also offers Ice neutrality. I don't have a ton to say about this other than it's a very solid sweeper, but I don't know if focus sash is the best item for it, so if you have item suggestions I'm open to them.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

I honestly don't like Landorus-Therian. I've been using it so I can practice in Monotype, but I could use any other legendary as well. It's nice to have intimidate, but really offers very little besides having electric immunity and access to stone edge. I was actually using Zapdos over Landorus for a while, and liked it, but the immunity to electric was consistently better than the neutrality Zapdos offered.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

Standard annoying Togekiss is solid for both a quick couple flinching Air Slashes or to counter some weaknesses. The choice scarf has been nice for the speed boost for the flinches, but I wonder if I would do better with a different item. Togekiss is also tankier than I expected and is very infrequently one shot. all around a solid pokemon on the team and really my only special attacker.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Agility
- Iron Head

I feel like this works better on paper than in games. It's not bad and when it works it works, but also Dragonite usually gets countered pretty fast. I had a build that might have been better with a special dragonite and also one with extreme speed. At the moment, this is my favorite iteration, but I still think theres a lot of room for improvement.

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- Taunt
- Toxic

One of my favorite sets on my favorite mon. This is such an annoyinh pokemon in my opinion and can mess up a lot of strategies. It's a good opener with taunt and toxic, but i usually have to switch out to something else to really seal the deal or stall. Not having an item is a huge benefit with the popularity of knock off and acrobatics.

Hi! Welcome to Monotype, i will try to help you altho you have this personal restriction on one of the types that runs the most legendaries.
I will firstly talk about my personal considerations over the team and the team members and then i will look at what you made so we can see what we can do and how we can improve it. I will make a team for regular Monotype and not NatDex as u haven't specified anything, neither if Ultrabeasts or mythicals mons can be used.

Considerations:
-We want Lando-T as it is a staple for Flying teams, but as u said any tier mons like Yveltal and Ho-Oh can help a lot.
-We can easily "replace" Celesteela with Corvi, which is a really used mon and helps a lot vs Ice mons like Weavile and Kyurem, while i love the Sub+Bu set as it's really strong vs types like Ground, Psychic and it actually makes Ice winnable especially if opponents make some mistakes.
-Another really strong mon is Dragonite which can run an offensive set or i am also running some defensive ones but it will hard to make some fat Flying with only 1 legendary.
-Gyarados or Salamence can take a slot as they are interesting setup sweepers.
-Mantine can be good as it's a nice mon on Flying but usually u run Dragonite OR Mantine and not both.
-Noivern can be a good Scarf user and can help vs Matchup like Ice and Electric, while also helping with Sub Kyurem as it has Infiltrator (and making Decem proud)
-Mandibuzz and Skarmory can be great mons but they are usually outclassed by Corviknight altho they are still cool mons.

Okay so knowing this, let's see what we can change and do with your team.

Major changes:
:togekiss:>:noivern: As i said, this helps more as a Scarf user as it helps vs threats such as Weavile and Kyurem. Switcheroo is helpful for annoying walls such as Corviknight and Toxapex while U-turn helps with momentum.

:mandibuzz:>:crobat: Mandi is a great wall that can help vs setup sweepers such as Dragapult, while still offering a Ghost resist that is always appreciated.

I will keep Lando for now but if you can use Yveltal i would give it a shot altho playing without an Electric immunity is really hard, but Dragonite + Noivern should actually help a lot and we could try Salamence>Gyara if we want to run Yveltal. Ho-Oh is also interesting and can chip down Electric mons with his incredibile special bulk.

Minor changes:
:corviknight: As i said i would for sure the Sub+BU set. I think that Sub + Pressure + Roost is a crazy combo and this set can actually destroy tons of types and can help pp-stalling things such as Darmanitan-G and Kyurem.
Corviknight (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Roost

:gyarados: U miss 4 EVs and HDB are better than Sash. Also Intimidate can help switching in and setting up.

:landorus-therian: This set is too offensive, we want Lando to be bulky and take as many hits as possible, while providing utility with U-turn and Knock Off / Toxic. I wouldn't use Rocks as as Flying we don't really love them and neither i would waste Defog on it as we have many other options.

:Dragonite: We want this to run HDB to keep Multiscale and that's why we want Roost as well. Earthquake is a great coverage for Electric and Poison Mons while we will fill out with Dragon Claw as a great STAB and Dragon Dance as it boosts both Attack and Speed.
Dragonite (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

The team with those changes would look like this: https://pokepast.es/9567731e12620bc4
This looks a lot better and i would for sure test it out. I think we can do better but i am not sure if that is National Dex or not and if Ubers or UB/mythicals are allowed and count as legendary mons.

I tried to don't make it too stallish as it was an offensive team, but i think that a Fat Flying would be really stronger and I would make something like this: https://pokepast.es/fb82e53085629029

As your team was offensive, i also made some type of HO team with Rayquaza altho i am not sure if it can be used or not. It's a sort of hazard stack + wallbreakers and setup sweepers so yea just a HO team: https://pokepast.es/49cf7caa385889d6

I hope this helps you and for any question feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to Monotype, i will try to help you altho you have this personal restriction on one of the types that runs the most legendaries.
I will firstly talk about my personal considerations over the team and the team members and then i will look at what you made so we can see what we can do and how we can improve it. I will make a team for regular Monotype and not NatDex as u haven't specified anything, neither if Ultrabeasts or mythicals mons can be used.

Considerations:
-We want Lando-T as it is a staple for Flying teams, but as u said any tier mons like Yveltal and Ho-Oh can help a lot.
-We can easily "replace" Celesteela with Corvi, which is a really used mon and helps a lot vs Ice mons like Weavile and Kyurem, while i love the Sub+Bu set as it's really strong vs types like Ground, Psychic and it actually makes Ice winnable especially if opponents make some mistakes.
-Another really strong mon is Dragonite which can run an offensive set or i am also running some defensive ones but it will hard to make some fat Flying with only 1 legendary.
-Gyarados or Salamence can take a slot as they are interesting setup sweepers.
-Mantine but be good as it's a nice mon on Flying but usually u run Dragonite OR Mantine and not both.
-Noivern can be a good Scarf user and can help vs Matchup like Ice and Electric, while also helping with Sub Kyurem as it has Infiltrator (and making Decem proud)
-Mandibuzz and Skarmory can be great mons but they are usually outclassed by Corviknight altho they are still cool mons.

Okay so knowing this, let's see what we can change and do with your team.

Major changes:
:togekiss:>:noivern: As i said, this helps more as a Scarf user as it helps vs threats such as Weavile and Kyurem. Switcheroo is helpful for annoying walls such as Corviknight and Toxapex while U-turn helps with momentum.

:mandibuzz:>:crobat: Mandi is a great wall that can help vs setup sweepers such as Dragapult, while still offering a Ghost resist that is always appreciated.

I will keep Lando for now but if you can use Yveltal i would give it a shot altho playing without an Electric immunity is really hard, but Dragonite + Noivern should actually help a lot and we could try Salamence>Gyara if we want to run Yveltal. Ho-Oh is also interesting and can chip down Electric mons with his incredibile special bulk.

Minor changes:
:corviknight: As i said i would for sure the Sub+BU set. I think that Sub + Pressure + Roost is a crazy combo and this set can actually destroy tons of types and can help pp-stalling things such as Darmanitan-G and Kyurem.
Corviknight (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Roost

:gyarados: U miss 4 EVs and HDB are better than Sash. Also Intimidate can help switch-in and setting up.

:landorus-therian: This set is too offensive, we want Lando to be bulky and take as many hits as possible, while providing utility with U-turn and Knock Off / Toxic. I wouldn't use Rocks as as Flying we don't really love them and neither i would waste Defog on it as we have many other options.

:Dragonite: We want this to run HDB to keep Multiscale and that's why we want Roost as well. Earthquake is a great coverage for Electric and Poison Mons while we will fill out with Dragon Claw as a great STAB and Dragon Dance as it boosts both Attack and Speed.
Dragonite (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

The team with those changes would look like this: https://pokepast.es/9567731e12620bc4
This looks a lot better and i would for sure test it out. I think we can do better but i am not sure if that is National Dex or not and if Ubers or UB/mythicals are allowed and count as legendary mons.

I tried to don't make it too stallish as it was an offensive team, but i think that a Fat Flying would be really stronger and I would make something like this: https://pokepast.es/1c8f9d30d54a9882

As your team was offensive, i also made some type of HO team with Rayquaza altho i am not sure if it can be used or not. It's a sort of hazard stack + wallbreakers and setup sweepers so yea just a HO team: https://pokepast.es/49cf7caa385889d6

I hope this helps you and for any question feel free to ask!
WOW this is such a thorough set of recommendations. I will absolutely try out the teams you suggested. Thank you for such a good response!
I totally forgot to mention that I can only have one of each

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)