Denied Aegislash: A Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this article will be approved, but I still wanted to try anyways. This topic interests me.

I want to talk about the banning of Aegislash from the OU Tier. I've heard the reasons from the proponents and opponents of the banishment. People have even said that banning Aegislash created more problems than solutions. So I just wanted to talk about it. I'm not gonna say that Smogon's decision was wrong, but I'm not gonna defend it either. This article will just be about causes and effects.
Since I have to keep it related to PS, I will be talking about my personal experiences both with and against Aegislash while playing here. And like in my last article, if I could get some others' opinions on the topic, I will include them.
Here's the general framework (it definitely will be more fluid than this though):

Intro: Introduce the topic. Aegislash was moved to Ubers. Anecdote: I remember that day pretty well. A friend of mine showed me a meme about it, mocking Smogon for this decision.

Body Para 1: Talk about the people who opposed this decision as well as their reasoning. Among other things, they feel that Smogon is quick to ban anything that is potentially overpowered. Others say that there were viable counters to Aegislash. I was even told that the ban was barely approved. (Note: I intend to check these reasons and make sure they're valid before actually writing them in my article)

Body Para 2: Talk about the people who supported this decision as well as their reasoning. Many of these people will say that Aegislash had a large movepool and multiple, viable sets. In addition, King's Shield has caused many people to lose battles if they incorrectly guessed when it would be used. (Note: For these claims, too, I will verify them before mentioning them in my article.)

Body Para 3: On PS, I've encountered Aegislash many times. There were times when I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette with it. However, more often than not, I was able to defeat it with relative ease. However, that could have easily been because my opponent was a bad player. I personally feel that Aegislash is not invincible in the OU Tier. It is possible to counter it. But, I only know that my Garchomp was able to beat it. If few counters exist, I understand that people wouldn't want to make their teams based on who needs to be countered. But anyways, moving on now.

Conclusion: I'll leave it to the reader to decide what they think about the banning of Aegislash.

I wouldn't be surprised if this article got rejected. Maybe it would belong on "The Smog" rather than "The Player". But I'd like to hear your opinions please! :)

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
btw A10theHero

I just want to reinforce that this is a really good idea for The Smog. There's a "post-Aegislash metagame" article published in Issue 36 that could be followed up nicely with this if you get it submitted, approved, and written in time. I urge you to do so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)