Gen 3 [Adv OU] pre-batonpass ban team

log on once in a while to play the most fun team ive used.
it seems recently swords dance + baton pass is banned on ninjask, so this team is no longer valid.
just gonna post it here for memory sake

inspired by the one time maybe 15 years ago when i met a lead ninjask who first turn bp into magneton.
turns out this ninjask was cb with hp rock, but i adapted it into a mini chain between ninjask, celebi and a receiver.

• ninjask generally first turn bp. can surprise threats like zapdos/gyara/salamence. used to pass swords dance during a free switch turn but thats banned now
  • metagross resist most of the stuff ninjask is weak to and vice versa, so the 2 form a good pair
  • magneton take out skarm, hp grass for swampert, twave to set up more substitute opportunities for the rest. works well with just +1 speed
  • swampert - potentially benefit from swords dance passed
  • celebi pivot with bp, occasionally take out ttar. leech seed force switches and substitute opportunities on 3 teammates
  • ttar - reveal this last if possible so that ninjask leftovers continues.
the core idea is the use of celebi baton pass as a pivot, some good synergy between team members covering each other, and twave + leechseed to set up opportunities to pass swords dance. plays fast, so out of nowhere the enemy suddenly gets to face a +2 reciever

Just played a few games with aerial ace > swords dance. a lot weaker and not fun already. guess its fine to reveal the 1 team i always go back to for 10+ years.
Open to ideas to making this team fun again when you cant pass swords dance

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Aerial Ace
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 140 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Leech Seed

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpA / 12 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Roar
- Ice Beam

threat list:

only have trouble with certain pokemon running very specific sets - zapdos with sub + hp grass. he does nothing to celebi and i can probably outstall with pressure, but its just annoying to not transition quickly into a sweeper.

current elo rating, although the last game was probably a few years ago. pretty sure the team got into top 50 or something before.
Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 01.24.47.png

celebi pivot with bp, occasionally take out ttar. leech seed force switches and substitute opportunities on 3 teammates

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 140 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Leech Seed
Very cool Celebi, before the ban I used to use Celebi with Calm Mind + Baton Pass in a special atack team, but it doesn't works with Ninjask so well.
The idea to pivot is very cool, I would like this ban some day over to back to use this kind of teams.
And also in this gen Hidden Power Bug is physical, so it can use's Ninjask Sword Dance who was very clever.

the surprise hidden power on ninjask/celebi often takes out enemies. now i remember hp bug is for enemy celebi whom you outspeed with speedboost passed, and 2hko even with +0 attack. previously tried hp fighting for ttar as well, but that left me open to enemy calm mind celebi at some point.
dont even need stuff like psychic giga drain because no one is going to leave their gengar into celebi anyway, giving you a free leech seed on their switch-in and bp to gain momentum again.
i tried to put swords dance on celebi to pass but apparently thats banned too (passing 2 stats). real sad.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
To make this team legal again, you could try replacing Ninjask with DD Pass Smeargle. It can pass both speed and attack just like Ninjask. It’s also MUCH more consistent at passing DD thanks to Spore and Taunt. (Ninjask fails to pass anything against most phazers such as Swampert).
Without Ninjask, you’re a bit weak into Dugtrio, so you can try swapping out Swampert for DD Salamence and putting more bulk on Metagross to compensate. In the current meta , Claydol is very popular, so try running HP Bug , Ice Beam or Double Edge on your Tyranitar.
Note: You can also make the Celebi SD Pass and drop Ninjask for DD Salamence, but that means you can’t pass speed anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)