Done Adding icons for new SV held items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 18.25.26.png

Most of the new items in Scarlet and Violet don't have item sprites added for them yet, so I've complied a list of all the missing sprites (sourced from Serebii) to help out. This is mainly just an aesthetically pleasing change, but it can also help with immediate readability.

These have already been scaled down, and are 40 × 40px:
  • Ability Shield
    1676026597995.png
  • Auspicious Armor
    1676026510861.png
  • Booster Energy
    1676026662470.png
  • Clear Amulet
    1676026680705.png
  • Covert Cloak
    1676026698745.png
  • Loaded Dice
    1676026873993.png
  • Malicious Armor
    1676026917715.png
  • Mirror Herb
    1676026943757.png
  • Punching Glove
    1676026996945.png
I hope that it's not too much trouble for an engineer to take these sprites and add them to the item icon sprite sheet that Showdown uses. If the sprites need to be scaled to a different size, please inform me and I'll try my best to help.

Hello! I’m also bothered about the lack of icons, and the lack of placeholders for them.

It may be my fault there aren’t placeholders thought, I was the one entrusted to do the item sprites since December, however had taken a break to sort irl things out. I absolutely did not succeed in sorting these issues out so I’ve bitten the bullet to keep making the sprites, I appreciate I’m not the only one that thinks the lack of icons is rather annoying at this time.
(either this, or the item icons were viewed the same way they were when i was assigned to them: “not crucial”)

I apologize for being the cause of delay. However, I’m grateful you’ve compiled a larger list of missing sprites! Thank you! It’d be nice to maybe see placeholder sprites soon until my work’s finally up and running!

Hope I’m allowed to show off my Booster Energy
20386F3A-BDD9-4FF8-A7EE-0A5F7D6326F2.png
in the meantime! (this is a work in progress, it’ll be fixed with feedback)

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
The reason I haven't done this yet is items are not as "simple" to handle as Pokemon. Pokemon are easy - just add all of them. PS doesn't want to have every item, and which items we do want usually changes with research. I don't feel like going through the whole process of updating the sheet every time a new item gets implemented. Maybe it's safe to do now, but I also have a dozen other things to get to that I would rather do before this.

I didn't know anyone was working on pixel art, but it's important to note that PS uses the 24x24 sprite size the games used from Gens 3-5. Even when they switched to 30x30 (Gen 8 is technically 32x32 but only because of the white outlines), Game Freak did not change the size of the old ones and thankfully made very few item sprites since Gen 6 that didn't fit in 24x24 without edits. Resizing the 160x160 art from Gen 9 to 24x24 is the least time-consuming part of this.

Oh crap my icons are all in 32x32… is that completely incompatible for Showdown???
I have no problem going ahead and making attempts to shrink them down.

Hope I’m allowed to show off my Booster Energy View attachment 492107in the meantime! (this is a work in progress, it’ll be fixed with feedback)
Ah, I did not know that new sprites were being made for the new items, I think your older generation style Booster Energy looks pretty good! I am curious as to why a new sprite needs to be created though, is it because the regular sprite cannot be downscaled or looks bad at the small size?
PS doesn't want to have every item, and which items we do want usually changes with research. I don't feel like going through the whole process of updating the sheet every time a new item gets implemented. Maybe it's safe to do now, but I also have a dozen other things to get to that I would rather do before this.
I see. If it matters, the items in my list are all the ones that are currently implemented on Showdown, and omit new held items that are not implemented (like the Leader's Crest).

Ah, I did not know that new sprites were being made for the new items, I think your older generation style Booster Energy looks pretty good! I am curious as to why a new sprite needs to be created though, is it because the regular sprite cannot be downscaled or looks bad at the small size?
Eek! I don’t know how to quote things well yet!
shrinking items down to 32x32 via Nearest-Neighbour doesnt look very good.5893EBAB-F04D-4E49-B60A-6A9A80982ADC.png
using Average Pixel makes the item look very blurry compared to the other items. 49DE088D-875A-4FBA-B59E-6E58FF34C50F.png

It seems the sprite team has been doing item sprites for a while before I even joined, so I believe the refined gen 9 icons to be much needed in the teambuilder menu for consistency.
Do not worry! I am not intending to steal the spotlight all for myself. I’m always asking around for constructive criticism from the other spriters.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Oh crap my icons are all in 32x32… is that completely incompatible for Showdown???
I have no problem going ahead and making attempts to shrink them down.
Yes, please work within a 24x24 canvas. They're part of a sprite sheet, not individually loaded.

I see. If it matters, the items in my list are all the ones that are currently implemented on Showdown, and omit new held items that are not implemented (like the Leader's Crest).
Actually, these are the items currently implemented:
item_1777.png
item_1778.png
item_1779.png
item_1785.png
item_1861.png
item_1880.png
item_1881.png
item_1882.png
item_1883.png
item_1884.png
item_1885.png
item_1886.png
item_2344.png

In all likelihood, other new evolution items will be added before this is completed.

I think these look okay next to the game's sprites, as long as you aren't zoomed in. It'll have to do until actual pixel art is made, anyway.

sheet.png

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
I didn't know anyone was working on pixel art, but it's important to note that PS uses the 24x24 sprite size the games used from Gens 3-5. Even when they switched to 30x30 (Gen 8 is technically 32x32 but only because of the white outlines), Game Freak did not change the size of the old ones and thankfully made very few item sprites since Gen 6 that didn't fit in 24x24 without edits. Resizing the 160x160 art from Gen 9 to 24x24 is the least time-consuming part of this.
Actually in generation 8 item sprites go beyond that size limit even without the white border being there. Items like Brittle Bones, Galarica Wreath & Dynite Ore are proof of that.

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
Research Leader
Actually in generation 8 item sprites go beyond that size limit even without the white border being there. Items like Brittle Bones, Galarica Wreath & Dynite Ore are proof of that.
I can't tell if you're talking about 24x24 or 32x32. If the former, I know; I said as much in the post you're quoting and I'm the one who made the 24x24 versions of the very few oversized sprites from Gens 7 and 8, including Galarica Wreath.

Either way, this doesn't change the fact that PS is using 24x24 and will continue to do so unless someone wants to overhaul everything for the sake of 13 items, only 5 of which are useful and 4 of those are the Terrain Seeds.

I’ll try to finish as quick as i can then,, i had no idea sprites were posted on an entire sheet, this is pretty cool :)
No rush, once the sheet is updated it should be easy to swap out the sprites whenever. I just remembered that when HOME updated for Legends: Arceus support last year it included sprites of all the Poké Balls from that game, so that's one less thing to do!
strangeball.png

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
It seems that item sprites from gen 9 have not been upoaded yet, I tried contacting the spriting team but got no answer.
I am not a professional spriter whatsoever, but I did this, hope they can work.
They can be changed later into the official ones, but these could be placeholders while we wait, as currently there is nothing as their image.

Ability Shield, Adamant Crystal, Auspicious Armor, Booster Energy, Clear Amulet, Covert Cloak, Griseous Core, Loaded Dice, Lustrous Globe, Mirror Herb, Malicious Armor and Punching Glove sprites, by me.

AbilityShieldSMR.png
AdamantCrystalSMR.png
AuspiciousArmor.png
BoosterEnergySMR.png
ClearAmuletSMR.png
CovertCloakSMR.png
GriseousCoreSMR.png
LoadedDiceSMR.png
LustrousGlobeSMR.png
MaliciousArmorSMR.png
MirrorHerbSMR.png
PunchingGloveSMR.png

Last edited:

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
I tried to follow as much as possible of the sprite guidelines, including the size of 24x24, the amount of colors, the dark outline and the png format.
They can be further edited to meet more standards if needed.

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
I edited my post above and added all the missing sprites from my first post, they are all done, I think. However, do I need to tag anyone aside from Marty?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)