Approved A Trivial Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
My idea was to have something like The Smog's old trivia section, but instead of Pokemon trivia it would be PS! trivia. This would also mean that solving them isn't just a quick google. Anybody who wanted to participate could answer the questions and PM them to me on smogon and I could reveal the winners at the next player release. Anyway, here are few sample questions I whipped up:

1) This PS public room has the most Room Owners (#)
2) This user made the damage calc that many competitive battlers use
3) This is the highest amount of users PS has had on at one time in 2014

1) Tournaments
2) Honko
3) 12463
These are just sample questions and there are likely to be more variety ranging from easy to hard in the real thing.

So wait, this is essentially a Scavenger Hunt (from the room) for the entire webzine? It seems interesting, but I don't really think 3 questions per issue would cut it, we would definitely need more, maybe an Easy/Medium/Hard section each with their own questions? We could provide the many other forms of questions like we do in the Scavengers room as well, like ports and explain how they work Instant Apple Pie (for Player staff reference he's room mod and I'm RO there). This seems like it could turn out pretty successful, like the puzzle page on The Smog.

It would probably need a more organized method of submitting answers other than simply sending you a Smogon PM however, but there's no harm in testing this and seeing how it goes.

Timbuktu

get bukt
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Spydreigon
Those three are just sample questions lol. I'm assuming there would be plenty in each issue just like the puzzle page Instant Apple Pie had in mind. Also, sending Instant Apple Pie a PM will work just fine. It worked with The Smog (I assume, since that's still how it goes), so there's really no rhyme or reason to do it any way else.

Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

^What Tim said, those are just some sample qs and there would be a lot more in the final cut. And yes, we could expand it to more than just PS trivia, like PS trivia & games where we use aspects of PS to make hangmans or ports like you mentioned as well as regular trivia questions

I knew they were samples lol, just making sure that we were both on the same path that there would be a lot more in the final version.

Sending IAP a pm could work, but keep in mind that's at least 30-90 pms to keep track of and check each of them over. We can easily brainstorm a more efficient way to check everyone's answers to the trivia, but we'll face that issue when release comes closer.

If we could make this an every issue thing incorporating all different forms of trivia from Scavengers like I mentioned earlier, I could see this becoming a huge success.

EDIT: I looked into how The Smog does it, they actually have a dedicated account at The Smog to PM answer submissions, where multiple people control the account. It would be more efficient to do something like that (or another method if we than think of one) rather than dumping a whole bunch of pms on IAP.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
during the days of trivia we averaged around 10 submissions an issue, now we're at 20-30 with puzzles (though there was a sharp decline from the first issue to the second... how odd). I assume the PS userbase will be more interested in this thing than most Smog readers are, so be prepared to deal with 30+ PMs lol. why not just create a new account for The Player?

edit: also lol Spydreigon I'm the only one in charge of checking and marking answers, so yeah I'm sure IAP can manage

Reactions: Spy

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I would be a proponent to creating an account for The Player, but this is Instant Apple Pie's thing - and I certainly don't have the interest in it or filtering answers - so it'd be best to just allow him to receive answers.

That being said, I enjoy this and would like for it to be featured at least once as a test run. If Vacate or Scene also approve then this can get going.

[15:31:59] @antemortem: post that you're interested in helping with that so an account might be needed

I'm actually interested in helping write/filter answers being involved with Scavengers myself as RO, so we should probably make an account for this once we get permission from Vacate/Scene.

I think I would be fine by myself filtering and writing up the qs, but if Spydreigon would like to help, that would be fine as well.

EDIT: also if we added some prizes in the future it could add more incentive for users to participate but we should probably wait to see how things go before we do that

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Okay, this is approved. Feel free to create your thread in The Kiln with your questions and thread format. If you can, try and get it ready for a test run in Issue 6 (deadline is in ten days).

We have an account ready for fielding answers which we'll give you access to later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)