SM UU A Team for Specs Hydreigon

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hi everyone, I come again with a new team that I would like some rate, I wanted a team that runs Specs Hydreigon, being a powerful wallbreaker in the tier, and I made a Volt Turn team.
The Team (Click to see)
Now a little explanation of each mon
Hydreigon: Mainly works as a huge wallbreaker with Choice specs, Draco Meteor to make as many damage as posible to non steel or fairy mons, Dark pulse I don´t have to explain this move, Fire blast to check on Steel types switch ins, and U-turn to pivot on annoying fairy types and bring safe Beedrill or Cobalion to check them. Can be used as an early or late game sweeper.
Beedrill-M (Didn´t find the Mega evolved sprite :c ): Offensive check to Fairy types that annoy Hydreigon to spam Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse, also can bring safe Hydreigon or other mon with U-Turn, Standar set with U-turn, Poison Jab, Drill Run for steel types (That also annoy Hydreigon) and knock off to spam on a switch, like Hippowdown's leftovers or an Eviolite from Gligar and then use U-Turn.
Zeraora: I added Zeraora to continue with the idea of a volt turn, and makes a good core with Beedrill, tbh I never liked this mon at all, it seems (to me) kind of useless already having M-Nectric and Rotom-H on the tier, Plasma Fist and Volt Switch as 2 useful stabs, Close Combat for the Dark types on the tier (being a common type in the UU metagame) and steel types, Grass Knot mainly for hippowdown, that 2HKO it, I preffered to run Expert Belt instead of LO because Zeraora is too weak to chip damage (SR and Sand from hippowdown being almost everywhere) and that damage combined with LO recoil, Zeraora will die quickly, also can work as a Flying resist (Althought it is a cat, it doesn't have 7 lives xd)
Cobalion: The SR setter of the team and also a Scizor check with Rocky Helmet, also check Fairy Types with Stab Iron Head, I was kind of undecided if run Taunt + Rocky Helmet or SD + Z Fight, I preffered Taunt + Rocky, to avoid Defog Users to remove SR, and prevent Set Up mons like Reuniclus, also my team is kind of weak against Scizor, so Rocky Helmet punish it when uses U-Turn or try to spam BP, also can be used as a hard counterplay to Hydreigon.
Gligar: Entry Hazard remover and Ground Type to prevent M-Nectric ans Rotom-H to easily spam Volt Switch, standar Gligar set, 9 ivs on Speed to be outspeed by opposing Gligar, in order to know what the other player is going to bring and take advantage of that (I learned about this in other post) EQ as an useful Stab to spam, and also a defensive check to most of the steel and Fighting types on the tier, and a shield to opposing U-Turn users like Scizor or Beedrill.

Infernape: Ok, when u build an UU team you need and speed control, most of the time I use as a speed control Scarf Hydreigon/Krookodile or Aerodactyl-M, and on this team already having a Mega Slot and hydreigon with other set it was difficult to choose a good speed control, I decided to run Scarf Nape, it is an offensive check to scizor and also work as a revenge killer, Flare Blitz and CC as mainly stabs, U -Turn for momentum, specially with Latias that is a check to Nape, Gunk Shot to have another way to deal with Fairys, also with the combination Flare Blitz and Close Combat chan check basically any steel type in the tier. Also it could work as a late game sweeper.
THREAT LIST
Scizor:
It can be a big deal to switch in on it, taking in count that my best defensive check is Cobalion, and scizor most of the times carry superpower to deal with steel types, then it can easily spam BP, even if it runs Quick Attack can deal with Nape and Zeraora.
Celebi: NP + Dazzling Gleam can destroy Hydreigon that is Celebi's check on the teeam taking in count that runs specs and not scarf to outspeed, also if it runs Dazzling Gleam I dont have a direct switch in, maybe just Cobalion but it also fears Earth Power.
Nidoking: In my experience playing UU, I noticed that most of the teams lacks on a direct switch in on Nidoking, fat Special defense mons like Florges and Sylveon fear Sludge wave, steel types fear ground stab, even inmune to ground mons like Latias or Hydreigon fear an Ice beam, my team also lacks on a direct switch in.
Hope to recieve a good rate for the team, be free to change whatever u want, Ty.:psyglad:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hi Luirromen this was a fun team to rate, I don't normally do more Offensive teams but Specs Hydreigon is a set I really love, so I wanted to give this one a go.

In this rate, I decided to focus on your threatlist especially, but also your stall matchup, which I found to be pretty lacking. I also noticed that Latias is a pretty big threat to this team, as it can come in on Gligar, Hydreigon, or an Infernape locked into one of it's STABs, and you have 0 switch ins, and no way to punish it by pursuit trapping it after. Moltres was also a big threat in my eyes, as there are no swap ins and it gets plenty of opportunities to come in against your team, such as against Cobalion/Gligar, or a locked Hydreigon/Infernape. Lastly, Sharpedo-Mega could be a real issue if the player realises your Infernape is Scarfed and gets 2 Speed Boosts, at which point it could basically freely clean your team if it has Earthquake and Cobalion is in range.

The first thing I decided to do was change Beedrill-Mega, which as a pokemon is far too prone to being chipped down by hazards, rocky helmet and sand, and really struggles vs teams with pursuit trappers such as Aerodactyl-Mega and Scarf Krookodile. Beedrill-Mega was one of your main counterplays to Celebi and Latias here, so my change made sure to keep this.

Major Change:

:beedrill-mega: -> :scizor: -
So I decided to change Beedrill-Mega to a Scizor here. I used a slightly less standard Bulky Buginium Scizor, the Special Defence and HP EVs let you live a +1 Gigavolt Havoc from Latias and a +2 Shattered Psyche from Celebi, while otherwise maximising your Attack, with 4 Speed to outspeed Alomomola. This gives you an actual swap in to Celebi and Latias compared to Beedrill-Mega, while also not being easily pursuit trapped like Beedrill was. Between Celebi and Hydreigon, this also perfectly covers all possible Celebi sets, as Scizor checks Dazzling Gleam and Z-Leaf Storm variants and Hydreigon checks HP Fire Variants. Standard Bulky Buginium Scizor moveset, provides you a set up sweeping win condition that you didn't have before, while still providing u-turn for momentum. EV Spread could be changed on this pokemon to suit whatever Speed benchmarks you would like, or potentially drop some of the Special Defence too if you like.

After this, we now had a free Mega slot to use. I decided to change Zeraora to make use of this. The new change was also designed to give you some extra Scizor matchup, and a way of annoying stall.

Major Change:

:zeraora: -> :manectric-mega:- So I decided to change Zeraora to Manectric-Mega to make use of the free Mega slot now, while filling basically a very similar role. This provides you an additional means of checking Scizor, and due to HP Grass, will allow you to cause trouble to stall by stopping quagsire volt blocking you. A slightly bulkier spread was chosen which you can see in the importable, which I took from vivalospride's RMT, which allows you to outspeed Base 115s like Starmie and Houndoom-Mega, while maintaining the same Special Attack as a standard set. This allows it to better check the pokemon It is meant to, and in particular makes your Sharpedo-Mega matchup more tolerable, as Intimidate will allow you to lower its attack, and it will nearly always survive (87.5% of the time) an earthquake from Full after Stealth Rocks and 2 Spikes, and will always tank non-eq variants.

I made one final pokemon swap for this team now. I decided to change Infernape to a different scarfer that could give you some extra stall matchup, while also providing you with a needed flying resist, as Moltres could claim kills for free if it came in on a STAB Locked infernape, a Fire Blast locked Hydreigon or Coba/Gligar currently.

Major Change:

:infernape: -> :rotom-Heat:- I decided to change your Scarf Infernape to a Scarf Rotom-Heat. While this is a very uncommon set, It provides some key roles in the new version of the team. As an unexpected scarfer, you are likely to be able to trick the enemy into believing Hydreigon is Scarfed, which will allow you to lure certain pokemon and Trick them to cripple them. This completes the added stall matchup for the team, and with HP Ice as the 4th move this allows you to also stop Gligar volt blocking you. With trick added, tricking a Blissey will allow your Hydreigon to break the stall, tricking a Quagsire will allow your Scizor to put in a lot more work, and tricking a Gligar will make it much harder for it to volt block your Manectric due to taking much more damage from Overheat, while also being able to lure a Gligar with HP Ice allowing your manectric to be unblockable completely. Scarf also allows you to outspeed Moltres to Volt on it first before it roosts, which can catch Moltres off guard, especially as you will do more damage with Max SpA (around 70-80% on offensive) , and it may well try and roost to get a free heal and lower the Volt Switch damage. 248 Speed EVs were chosen as It will allow you to underspeed other rotom-heat's after you have tricked away your choice scarf. Thunderbolt is another option over HP Ice on this set, as it allows you to better deal with pokemon that can roost off the volt switch damage otherwise, but you lose the lure.

A few Minor Changes are left now.

Minor Changes:

:Hydreigon:(moveset) - I decided to change Fire Blast to Flash Cannon. With more scizor checks than before now, I felt it wasn't very necessary, while Flash cannon allows you to catch pokemon such as Altaria and Togekiss off guard, especially if you manage to succesfully pretend to be Scarfed. This is also helpful in the stall matchup, as otherwise even if you trick blissey with rotom-heat, a Mega-Altaria will just wall you.

:Cobalion: (moveset) - I left a few options in the fourth slot for Cobalion on your importable. While taunt can be nice in some matchups, Swords Dance is a nice option to act as another potential breaker and lets you break through bulkier Scizors that could otherwise just stall out your pp, while Volt Switch can also let you gain momentum on switches, and chip pokemon such as Doublade which wall you.

Final Team

I didn't address Nidoking on your threatlist here, but an offensive team like this is unlikely to actually be able to have proper swap ins to it. Swapping Zeraora to Manectric-Mega allowed you to put more Pressure on it however via Overheat, as Zeraora could barely touch it before. Nidoking can't really swap in on anything on the team risk-free however.

https://pokepast.es/7a6112690d1434c4

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 HP / 48 Def / 116 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance / Volt Switch

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 9 Spe
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 8 Def / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Luirromen

is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hi Estarossa , I like how the team structure changed with the swap Beedrill-Scizor and Zeraora-Nectric, tbh I wasn't completely sure about Beedrill and Zeraora, more with Zeraora (as I said I feel is kind of useless mon), and althought Rotom-H is kind of weird as u said it really helps with the stall MU with Trick + Scarf, well Ty for the team rate, I will give it a try later. :psyglad:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I love Choice Specs Hydreigon and I feel like I've built enough with it to the point I know in which kind of teams it reaches its full potential.

Choice Specs Hydreigon should be used as an early- to mid-game wallbreaker and steadily weaken down its checks for a sweeper to clean. The main problem I had with your team is that it was just stacked up with a bunch of pivots. While they have the potential to bring in Hydreigon safely the team was just too stacked up it didn't have a real win condition and half the team just felt redundant.

My first change was to Infernape's set. As I said, Hydreigon breaks walls early- to mid-game so it'd be natural to pair it with a sweeper.
  • I changed Infernape's set to Nasty Plot because Hydreigon steadily weakens similar checks in Tentacruel and Choice Specs Primarina.
To support both Hydreigon and Infernape I went with a hazard stacking approach to the team because Hydreigon will still struggle against hard counters like Leftovers Primarina.

• Hence, I changed Klefki > Cobalion. While it's not the best Pokemon right now it's definitely the best Spikes setter. Hydreigon is able to punish hazard removers that generally beat Klefki like Tentacruel and Rotom-H by coming in not fearing either of their STABs and potentially generating a free turn to attack.
  • At this point, I obviously needed a Stealth Rock setter so I changed Gligar to Stealth Rock > Defog because Gligar's utility is pretty much needed on that team and because it can potentially bring in either Hydreigon and Mega Beedrill with a slow U-turn on certain Defoggers that tend to switch-in on it.
Lastly, I needed a bulky Water-type that removes hazards. Zeraora felt like the most redundant member on this team at this point.
  • I decided to replace Starmie > Zeraora, instead of going with the traditional Tentacruel. Not only does the team already have a Toxic Spikes absorber in Mega Beedrill, but Starmie invites in Pursuit trappers like Krookodile and Bisharp that can potentially give Infernape a free turn to set up. Furthermore, Starmie chips down checks like
Other minor changes include:
  • Flash Cannon > Fire Blast. Hydreigon's Dark Pulses dent Steel-types already so there's no real reason to give up on the coverage that allows Hydreigon to break through Fairy-types.
  • Pursuit > Knock Off. While Knock Off is cool on Mega Beedrill, Pursuit is almost required with Nasty Plot Infernape and I'd even say mandatory in such a Latias-weak team. While Klefki generally pivots into Latias early-game, it doesn't really beat it in the long run because of its lack of reliable recovery. Pursuit on Mega Beedrill helps to patch that up.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 9 Spe
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Play Rough

Last edited:

Luirromen

is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hi Amane Misa , sorry for answer too late (2 months later lol), thank you for the second version of the team, I will be testing on ladder how it works, sorry again for the late answer :blobastonished:
I have never tried SR Gligar so this will be a good oportunity as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)