A sendoff to SM DOU

Well, this Snake went a little bit differently than the last one for me, but ended in the same place for my team. I played pretty well, but I’m not sure the level of my play was equivalent to my record. Honestly, it felt like I played well in most weeks and most of my opponents seemed to just bring not great teams, or not play well. However, I think there was something in my preparation that was efficient and optimal, and led to me being in a position to win a lot of my games.

This team dump is also going to be a little different. After every team, I'll drop pastes for all the teams I considered for the week, or rather, teams that were floated in the chat. They're not necessarily bad, even if I didn't use them. It just means I didn't feel they suited me or the week. I'll also include a bunch of replays with the final team, so as to show samples of how to use it

Week 1 vs Human (W)

:sm/metagross-mega:
:sm/suicune:
:sm/tapu-lele:
:sm/Landorus-Therian:
:sm/amoonguss:
:sm/kommo-o:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Suicune @ Mago Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 48 SpA / 108 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Tailwind

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 Def / 8 SpA / 4 SpD / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Amoonguss @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 124 HP / 12 Atk / 4 Def / 136 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Poison Jab
- Flamethrower
- Protect

I had worked pretty closely with Human during SPL, my last DOU tournament, and he knew a lot about my general style; I tend to prefer teams on the bulkier side, with offensive mons like Kartana. I decided to mix it up by going for a moderately aggressive Meta Lele team. I asked around for a few suggestions, and AuraRayquaza gave me a build with Metagross Lele Suicune Rotom-H Lando-T and Persian-A. I played around with it for a bit and also floated the idea to Kaori. He gave me a bunch of different team comps, and this one was the one that I liked the most. Overcoat isn't necessary and can be changed to Soundproof; I decided on that last second. Same for Jab on the Kommo-o, but the team felt like it wanted another way to hit Fini. This team is pretty solid and I used it a lot in seasonals. Zen hits hard, Lele hits hard and Kommo-o hits hard. You have terrain control and Amoonguss, which is a good combo. There's nothing that strange about this team; just set up your positions and chunk things with the damage dealing mons. Dealing with Fini can be a bit tricky, so try to switch in Lele and hit it with a Toxic/Spore, or just hit it for a ton of damage with Metagross.

Week 2 vs Emforbes (W)

:sm/Venusaur-mega:
:sm/Gothitelle:
:sm/diancie:
:sm/Incineroar:
:sm/Genesect:
:sm/kommo-o:

Gothitelle @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 136 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Taunt
- Trick Room
- Protect

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 160 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 HP / 160 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

This team is honestly not the best. I built it based on Nails' week 2 team because I didn't really have many ideas. For a while the Genesect was a Scarf Victini, but Genesect felt overall better. This team looks pretty mediocre, but you have decent chances to nab a kill early, and once you're up 6v5 or tied 5v5, the team feels quite potent. Remove your opponent's Fini and the Kommo-o sweeps. Remove Metagross and Diancie sweeps. Nails' version is probably a bit more potent, because Volcanion actually does things in Trick Room. I managed to win with it though, so I can't be too sad. Not sure why Kommo-o is Timid.

Week 3 vs Spuriffic(W)

:sm/Metagross-mega: :sm/Volcarona: :sm/Tapu-Koko: :sm/Kyurem-Black: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Mew:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 40 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 76 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Sky Drop
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpA / 32 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Tail

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Defog
- U-turn

Mew @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Transform
- Tailwind
- Fake Out

This week we wanted to build a team that did something. My team from last week felt like it was way too reactive, and so I wanted some sort of wincon that I could set up aggressively. We settled on Volcarona after sam came up with a few squads, and also because I didn't want to run Kommo-o 3 weeks in a row. The first draft of the build that Sam gave me felt really weak to charizard, and the mons are inherently weak to Charizard, so I gave the team as many tools to beat Charizard as possible. I used this super bulky Landorus-T that Nails had made for a Charizard X team that took an Overheat from Zard-Y and return OHKO'd with Stone Edge at -1. I gave Metagross Thunder Punch because I didn't think Ice Punch was necessary (Volc and Kyub do enough of the damage), and I put SR on Mew. Transform, Taunt and Dtail were the TR answers. The Kyu-B spread isn't real; I took one of Fespy's spreads and, since I took off Icy Wind, put the speed into attack. Volcarona is Swarm because it's the main source of damage on the team, so I wanted it to do more damage. Check further below for the better version of the team.

Week 4 vs Nails (W)

:sm/Tapu Bulu: :sm/suicune: :sm/tapu-Koko: :sm/Charizard-Mega-Y: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Diancie:

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 4 Def / 72 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Suicune @ Mago Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Tailwind

Tapu Koko @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 44 SpA / 12 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 204 HP / 64 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Air Slash
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 56 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 12 Def / 56 SpA / 44 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 19 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

I worked pretty closely with nails this snake, so I was kinda sad that I had to play him. Sam thought that Cune Bulu would be solid against Nails because Nick didn't bring great Suicune answers, and we thought it would be good vs Diancie. The first few teams sam suggested were a bit weak vs Kommo-o, which Nick had brought a bunch. We had 3 fairies, but only one had a move to hit Kommo-o, so I wanted to put Air Slash on Charizard for bestmon STABZARD. We also didn't feel like we needed a second tailwind. Diancie got some speed for use in tailwind, but still underspeeds min incineroar. Koko got hp fire because there was only one mon that could touch steels, and that felt slightly insufficient. This team is pretty solid, but not much to write home about.

Week 5 vs Demantoid (W)

:sm/Politoed: :sm/Kingdra: :sm/Gardevoir-Mega: :sm/Incineroar: :sm/Kartana: :sm/Amoonguss:

Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Helping Hand
- Encore
- Icy Wind

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 160 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Kartana @ Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Detect

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Foul Play

The one you’ve all been waiting for; the infamous Garde Rain. I built this team to fight EmbC back in SPL, and haven’t really changed it at all. I built this after reflecting on the 2015 US nats champion team, which was Gardevoir Rain, but with no rain abuser. I was sitting and thinking about Garde Politoed, and then I realized I could add an abuser. Everything changed.
The gameplan with this team is to set up Trick Room and click Hyper Voice for a few turns. Then everything should be dead enough that you can sweep with Kingdra. Or, if you’re facing a Metagross team, you lead with Politoed Kingdra and use Garde later. Button Politoed feels really good because it gives you chances to set up rain and get Kingdra in safely for the next turn. It also gives you a safe switch in TR if you need it. This Politoed is really offensive for max damage, but you could change that around if you wanted to. It also speed ties Incin, which I find hilarious and refuse to change, but feel free.
Kingdra is specs because damage is good. Everything dies. You don’t even have to hit every muddy water, because you will be given a ton of chances to hit it.
Gardevoir has max hp, speed creeps slow Fini and Zapdos. I have Psyshock because it’s better vs Charizard, Volcarona, and Fini’s that have boosted. However, Psychic is better against Volcanion, so that would be a reasonable change IMO.
Incin outspeeds Tornadus in Tailwind because I lost a single test game due to it not doing that. It outspeeds Kartana because the team is Kart weak, and then from there you outspeed Metagross and then Torn.
Kartana has Grass Z to hit Volcanion, which the team is quite weak to, and also just general mons like Fini. Tailwind is really important for endgames.
Amoonguss is critical to protect Garde and help set up TR. Even though the team has no Tapu, Amoonguss finds its way to control by putting flying mons to sleep or sludge bombing tapus. It has foul play because one time in practice I was up 5-1 vs a Kartana behind a sub and almost lost because Shroom couldn’t touch it. I used to be Wiki, but switched to Occa because I didn’t have Protect. Foul play gets most of its use beating up Metagross and Genesect in TR, but makes it so Amoonguss doesn’t not touch kartana. You could switch to HP fire if you want, but I don’t especially recommend it.

I brought this against Demantoid because he tends to bring un-synergistic and offensive teams. My personal theory in team tours is that when you know someone is going to bring an offensive bullshit team, the best response is your own offensive bullshit that is faster than theirs. They don’t have defense because they’re expecting to offense through threats, so when your offense outspeeds theirs, they crumble.

None.

Yes

Week 5 vs SMB (W)

:sm/Diancie-Mega: :sm/Tapu-Koko: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Incineroar: :sm/Kartana: :sm/Amoonguss:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 160 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Kartana @ Figy Berry
EVs: 44 Atk / 232 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Detect

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Foul Play

I wasn’t happy with anything, so I worked with Tman to build something. Tommy thought that SMB would bring M-tar or Zard y, so he thought Diancie would be a good pick. I also wanted Koko to help beat Volcanion, which I tend to be weak to. After that the team kinda built itself, and he suggested SD kart for more damage. After that I added some redirection. It’s not a great team, but it got the job done. I don’t like Mega Diancie, so I wouldn’t suggest using it much.

Week 7 vs Mint16 (L)

:sm/Kyurem-Black: :sm/Tapu-Koko: :sm/Kartana: :sm/Tapu-Fini: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Tyranitar-Mega:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Kartana @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 48 HP / 168 Atk / 132 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Detect

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Pulse
- Soak
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Mago Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 136 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

I really did not know what to bring against Kyle. My team had just qualified for playoffs, and I had been testing a bunch of stuff which had not been working. I ended up bringing this team that Sam gave me like 5 min before the game and got trashed. Don’t use this team.

None

Week 8 Abr vs Stratos (L)

:sm/Metagross-Mega: :sm/Amoonguss: :sm/Kommo-o: :sm/Tapu-Lele: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Volcanion:

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Amoonguss (M) @ Occa Berry
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Rage Powder
- Spore

Kommo-o (M) @ Kommonium Z
Rash Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 96 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Volcanion @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Protect

We wanted to beat Hard TR and Stax sample, as that’s what we thought someone who was playing a singles player would bring. We chose this. Abr demanded up.

Week 9 vs Tman (W)

:sm/Diancie: :sm/Camerupt-Mega: :sm/Tapu-Bulu: :sm/Scrafty: :sm/Porygon2: :sm/Victini:

Diancie @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Figy Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 11 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Scrafty @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 16 SpA / 152 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover
- Trick Room

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Final Gambit
- Trick

We decided we wanted to hard TR Tman really early into the tour, or rather, that we wanted to Hard TR somebody, and that Tman was the person to do it to. Sam gave me this, but with WP on Diancie. He said that he had accidentally forgot to put a Z move on, so for fun I put it on Diancie, and it worked out. Standard Hard TR, play it like a Hard TR team. Toxic > Thunderbolt on P2 has its ups and its downs, do as you will. Camel has Sub, which is fine, but if you want better Fini answers, use Nature Power.

Semis vs Mint16 (W)

:sm/Metagross-mega: :sm/Volcarona: :sm/Tapu-Koko: :sm/Kyurem-Black: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Mew:
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 56 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 88 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Tail

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 216 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Defog
- U-turn

Mew @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Transform
- Tailwind
- Fake Out

I decided that I wanted to disrespect Kyle after he disrespected me by bringing stax sample in week 7. I also thought that Kyle’s squads looked really weak to Volcarona, so I brought the version of the Moth team from week 3, but updated with changes I made with Nails. Volcarona is max speed to outspeed Swampert in Rain if moth is +1. Mew has more spdef because spdef is better. Landorus is Calm because not having the chance to move before Fini in my week 3 game felt very suspect. Koko has Gleam because Kommo-o is scary. Kyub has a different spread that does something else.

Finals vs Emforbes (L)

:sm/metagross-mega:
:sm/suicune:
:sm/tapu-lele:
:sm/Landorus-Therian:
:sm/amoonguss:
:sm/Xurkitree:
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 84 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tail Glow
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 216 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Suicune @ Mago Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Tailwind

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

This team felt really decent in practice, and against what we expected Emforbes to bring. He brought a bunch of solid, slow-ish teams, and Xurkitree ran over all those builds. Metagross beat Kartana and he used that a lot. Team is decent, but not the best team I’ve run; it’s a reasonable choice.

That’s the end! Shoutouts to all the Taipans for being the goats; I may edit in specific shoutouts to this later, but I’m tired.
But shoutouts to kaori, I literally told this woman I didn’t really want to work with her at worlds, then we got drafted on the same team and she was the best partner I could ask for. The woman just gave me teams, and I was able to play them well. The best support I’ve had (for me, at least), by far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)