SV UU A sand team with no sand abusers?! First attempt at teambuilding!

mov/Greloom = Blue
lamto/lamptowel = Red

After rightfully conquering the Gen 9 Randbats ladder (1400 elo demon), I decided to set my sights on some greater aspirations. I noticed something odd when I was scouring the OU viability rankings. Where was my favorite child, Tyranitar, and the new Prodigal Son, Wo-Chien?
I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach as a terrible thought crossed my mind. Tyranitar and Wo-Chien might be in UU. When I saw the viability rankings, my mind and spirit were truly broken. The Mountain and The Tank were in UU. I, being an optimist, was pleased to see how they were at least at the top of the viability rankings. Fallen far, but not to depths of Hell (RU). I knew from that moment on I would become a UU teambuilding and laddering monster, a true European prodigy to crush the spirits of low ladder UU players alike. I quickly put together a HEAT core of Tyranitar and Wo-Chien, contacted my associate lamp towel (unfortunately he is American), and got to work teambuilding.

ttar_bold.png
Tyranitar has been a staple of OU for generations, and in our hearts he still remains there. He is an absolute monster and deserves to stay a true King. He was the first component of our HEAT team.

TTar is a special wall that can still dish out damage in return and force certain mons out.

Lassie (Tyranitar) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Avalanche​

• Crunch has been a staple in the Tyranitar moveset for multiple generations now, and there’s been practically no reason to replace it. It has a mix of amazing damage, great STAB and a phenomenal secondary effect, with the Def drop either forcing opponents to switch out or take a hit from a STAB 403 Atk Tyranitar.
  • Earthquake has been a consistent threat in Tyranitar’s moveset since its creation, offering great coverage and consistent high damage, and being one of the top 5 moves of all time makes it an overall unstoppable force in Tyranitar’s arsenal.
  • Stone Edge is a wonderful move in Tyranitar’s Toolbox, offering uncontested STAB and damage for the Mountain.
  • Avalanche is Tyranitar’s main coverage move, picked specifically to counter common meta threats such as Salamence, Noivern, Wo-Chien, and Sandy Shocks. The secondary effect is what makes this move really pop, as Tyranitar can tank a hit from almost any of these threats due to its immense Sp.Def and walk away in relatively good condition, while almost guaranteeing a OHKO for the aggressor. We could use Ice Punch but TTar is slow and doesn’t outspeed any of those Mons anyway.

Wo-Chien is a newly emerging behemoth and has become a staple in the young SV UU metagame. Not only is he immensely swag, he is incredibly bulky, and he’s a snail.

Wo-Chien serves as a special wall and general fat switch in.

zzz... (Wo-Chien) @ Leftovers
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Ruination
- Leech Seed

• Giga Drain is almost required on Wo-Chien, due to it’s glaring lack of recovery, and it compliments Wo-Chien’s massive Sp.Def stat quite nicely.
  • Knock Off is one of the most widely-used and beloved Dark moves, and allows Wo-Chien to make progress even if he isn’t doing much damage. Knock Off is especially useful on switch-ins, as Wo-Chien knocking off a Choice Band or Choice Scarf can change the course of the game permanently.
  • Ruination is the signature move of the Treasures of Ruin, and as such it gets utilized extremely well in Wo-Chien’s moveset, serving as reliable damage, as it completely ignores resistances, and can massively assist other speedy members of the team such as Slither Wing switch in and clean up with a guaranteed advantage.
  • Leech Seed is an extremely useful hazard in Wo-Chien’s arsenal, serving as the main recovery option alongside Giga Drain.

Volcarona has been one of the most consistently obnoxious Mons since its inception. Gamefreak, knowing how much we all LOVE Volc, decided to add 2 MORE. One of which is a juiced up Alpha male gym bro version of the hellspawn slug. Slither Wing is now my wife’s boyfriend's and my favorite juiced up Bug type, goodbye Buzzwole. You’ll also notice that the name is an extremely unknown reference to the Mothra web browser, used in the very niche UNIX-based OS, Plan 9 by Bell Labs. Personally, l included this reference as tribute to my favorite operating system ever, and also my daily driver.

Here’s Glenda, the official mascot of Plan 9. Isn’t she adorable?

Slither Wing (Or Volc Bumstead) serves as a breaker and late-game cleaner.
volc_bumstead.png

Mothra (Slither Wing) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Dual Wingbeat
- First Impression​
  • Flare Blitz let’s Slither Wing hit Mon’s like Tink, Luc, Scizor, and Zone that resist its STABs
  • Close Combat is good fighting stab, not much more description is needed
  • Dual Wingbeat is only here for the double hit to break sashes, and chunk opposing Slither Wing, Pawmot, and Gallade.
  • First Impression is one of the best bug moves ever, 90 BP prio is very good coming off of 135 base attack with STAB.

Sandy Shocks has been a reoccurring staple meta threat for multiple months now, landing itself comfortably at the top of S tier in the viability rankings.
With its amazing offensive stats and great typing, there’s no wonder why so many teams use it, ours included.

0989Sandy_Shocks.png

Sleeper (Sandy Shocks) @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock​

• Thunderbolt has been a truly tried and tested move, being THE top Electric type move since the very inception of Pokemon. It’s simple, but it works. Phenomenal STAB, great and consistent damage and a niche but helpful secondary effect.
  • Volt Switch is one of the best pivot moves out there, especially on Sandy Shocks, being a STAB move and still having respectable damage on top of that, while also matching Sandy Shock’s attacking stat and taking advantage of it’s massive Speed stat.
  • Earth Power is basically just Earthquake but special. There’s not much to it, it has great damage, good STAB and is overall very viable.
  • Stealth Rocks are a great hazard, either hitting many meta Pokemon such as Talonflame, Noivern, Salamence and Iron Jugulis HARD, or at the very least forcing all of them to run Heavy-Duty Boots to compensate.

Noivern is an absolute star, icon, king, girlboss, etc in OMs, however it is unfortunately only UU in normal ladder. Dragon Flying is a classic typing and it’s fast, has utility, and can drop a cheeky Draco. EV’d for a Draco to always OHKO Mence even if it has a small SpD investment, and to deal slightly more on those noncommittal drive-by Dracos.

Noivern serves as our only defogger, and a fast mon that can hit and run.

chrome_sMwI4dbKDN.png

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- U-turn​
  • In all honesty, Defog was put in last second because we have NO hazard control otherwise on a fat team. Noivern is fast and can defog and U-turn out after
  • U-Turn the goat pivot move, Noivern is fast and allows the Fat members of the team to eat the hits.
  • Draco Meteor is the premier Dragon Special STAB move, and although it’s only coming off of a 97 base SpA stat, it can still chunk certain Mons and as said previously, OHKO Mence.
  • Roost is reliable recovery and is important because this is our only hazard control.

Quagsire has been a true hero in times of crisis. In past generations he has sat in a limbo of being in low tiers, but when the time calls for it, rising to the occasion and checking the most broken threats. Last generation, Quag was the iconic COUNTER to Zacian, potentially one of the most broken Mons ever. His set is simple and effective. His face is a >:D

Quag is the physical wall and designated Unaware mon.

quag_and_clod.png

>:D (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes
- Recover
- Earthquake​

• Toxic threatens strong breakers and prevents setup sweepers from setting up. Quag is extremely passive and Toxic somewhat rectifies that
  • Toxic Spikes are kind of redundant and pretty bad, Spikes is probably better. Spikes are just a solid hazard, let you progress and do something when your opponent switches out
  • Recover is Recover, reliable healing is required for a Mon like Quag
  • Earthquake is a decent stab move that allows it to do something in 1v1s and chip certain Mons on the switch.

Final Remarks:
We have no idea what we're doing and we are extremely open to suggestions.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Greloom! hello. So sorry this never got rated. I was looking back to see if I missed any UU rmts and I think this is a totally feasible rate considering all the Pokemon you have here are legal and the meta hasn't changed a lot (just yet). This will more so be some tips and tricks for building in UU as in a couple days this team will no longer be viable due to shifts. Let's begin!

When building for the first time, I would stick to standard! Standard, standard, standard. For example, on a team like this (and most teams) stacking ground types is not very good. Stick with sandy shocks as that is the more offensive and superior ground type. Stick to heavy duty boots as leftovers isn't ideal given there is a lot of toxic spikes and spikes in this tier. Assault vest tyranitar is redundant as its ability gives it access to that spdef boost already. Instead use the amazing choice banded tyranitar to destroy your enemies. Rest talk wo chien is incredible on teams with no wish pass support so I changed your set. Scarf slither wing is also not a standard or good set and I ended up deleted it from your team as the synergy with tyranitar and sand isn't really there.

What we are left with is this https://pokepast.es/904ffe525047f753

Noivern and sandy shocks offer you speed, wo chien provides you a wall that is able to soak up status moves, and tyranitar is a strong immediate breaker. Looking at your team, the dominant weakness I see is to physical breakers such as scizor, quaqeval, and pawmot. To remedy this to some extent, you can add slowbro. Slowbro can use iron defense and body press to beat quagsire and scizor 1v1. I think tera fighting is best as it boosts your body press and doesn't give you a weakness to scizors bullet punch like tera fairy would.

The last thing your team needs is consistent hazard removal. Unfortunately, there aren't many in UU. Your options are cyclizar, decidueye, talonflame, and donphan for the most part. As for your team, I would choose cyclizar. There is a lot you can do with this pokemon. Firstly it gives you a regenerator core with slowbro, it also gives you additional knock off and uturn, and you can use its last slot for draco meteor to claim kills, or overheat for scizor, double edge, or even dragon tail to phase out certain threats. assault vest gives you the ability to eat certain attacks and just makes you bulkier.

I hope that these tips are helpful and that you will continue to build UU further on in the generation. Tag me if you have any questions! Here is the team:

https://pokepast.es/83e453e5323aee17

Enjoy!

Greloom! hello. So sorry this never got rated. I was looking back to see if I missed any UU rmts and I think this is a totally feasible rate considering all the Pokemon you have here are legal and the meta hasn't changed a lot (just yet). This will more so be some tips and tricks for building in UU as in a couple days this team will no longer be viable due to shifts. Let's begin!

When building for the first time, I would stick to standard! Standard, standard, standard. For example, on a team like this (and most teams) stacking ground types is not very good. Stick with sandy shocks as that is the more offensive and superior ground type. Stick to heavy duty boots as leftovers isn't ideal given there is a lot of toxic spikes and spikes in this tier. Assault vest tyranitar is redundant as its ability gives it access to that spdef boost already. Instead use the amazing choice banded tyranitar to destroy your enemies. Rest talk wo chien is incredible on teams with no wish pass support so I changed your set. Scarf slither wing is also not a standard or good set and I ended up deleted it from your team as the synergy with tyranitar and sand isn't really there.

What we are left with is this https://pokepast.es/904ffe525047f753

Noivern and sandy shocks offer you speed, wo chien provides you a wall that is able to soak up status moves, and tyranitar is a strong immediate breaker. Looking at your team, the dominant weakness I see is to physical breakers such as scizor, quaqeval, and pawmot. To remedy this to some extent, you can add slowbro. Slowbro can use iron defense and body press to beat quagsire and scizor 1v1. I think tera fighting is best as it boosts your body press and doesn't give you a weakness to scizors bullet punch like tera fairy would.

The last thing your team needs is consistent hazard removal. Unfortunately, there aren't many in UU. Your options are cyclizar, decidueye, talonflame, and donphan for the most part. As for your team, I would choose cyclizar. There is a lot you can do with this pokemon. Firstly it gives you a regenerator core with slowbro, it also gives you additional knock off and uturn, and you can use its last slot for draco meteor to claim kills, or overheat for scizor, double edge, or even dragon tail to phase out certain threats. assault vest gives you the ability to eat certain attacks and just makes you bulkier.

I hope that these tips are helpful and that you will continue to build UU further on in the generation. Tag me if you have any questions! Here is the team:

https://pokepast.es/83e453e5323aee17

Enjoy!
now that shocks is dead uh what exactly fills that role

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)