A not-exactly-a-Hero's Fight Against a not-exactly-a-Dragon

Introduction

Hello Smogon! My name is GamingShawn and I’m here to bring you my first ever warstory. I have been playing Pokemon competitively since the Black and White era, but I only recently discovered the many wonders of the Smogon forums (one of which being the Projects and Warstories forum). After reading some of the XY Warstories and the previous warstories from the Warstory Archive, I decided to try my hand at writing one myself. It took me a while to find a battle I deemed warstory material and the one I got is the one you shall be reading today! Just a few things about this battle I want to state beforehand: I was using an alternate account because the team I was using was Pre-PokeBank OU material and I just wanted to see what the PokeBank OU tier was like so I just used the same team. It did surprisingly well despite appearing a bit unorthodox so I decided to keep using it. Yes, I am posing as a girl on my alt, mainly because I get some funny reactions from people under the impression that I’m a girl haha. Anyhow, this introduction is long enough, let’s get on with the warstory!

(Also, if you want to watch the replay it's here)

Prelude

The Tactician Shawn and his rag-tag group of accomplices had been traveling the fair land of “Lad Dere” in search of battle. Many foes had faced them, some inexperienced and some skilled, and there had been victories and losses all around. However, on one day, the Tactician came upon an enemy the likes he had never seen before. Shawn faced the giant, with its massive height and size, pointed ears, enormous feet and tail. The giant had all the traits of a dragon and was shaped… like a bean?

Shawn stared in fear at the beast and was preparing to flee, but the dragon had set its eyes on him and would not let him escape. The dragon smiled as he prepared to devour his newfound meal. The Tactician prepared himself accordingly, not willing to be eaten without putting up a fight.

The Teams

“What are your decrees for this battle, dragon?!” I shouted.

“These shall be the rules of our engagement.” The dragon declared.

Guardian Sara joined.
DragonBean joined.

Tier: Pokebank OU (beta)
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages
The dragon then summoned his assortment of minions for battle.

DragonBean's team:

Mamoswine: The mighty Twin-Tusk behemoth, thought to have gone extinct centuries ago. It is likely a lead to set up hidden hazards that will weaken my comrades as they enter and exit battle. How problematic.

Genesect: A versatile and advanced weaponised bug. There's no telling what kind of fighting style this Bug will employ and it can force my comrades to fall back while exiting battle itself; I will need to tread carefully to deal with it.

Lucario: A humanoid-creature known to have trained with the likes of Goku. It is most likely that he will activate his Super Saiyan powers as soon as he can and I must be careful whether he will rely on fighting up-close and personal or if he will just spam Kamehamehas.

Rotom-Wash: One of the many copies sold of Marvin the Paranoid Android. It's no mistake that it was modeled after a washing machine - one of the most paranoid household objects. With no way to stop its hit-and-run shock tactics, it will be a thorn in my side to deal with, especially when coupled with the techno Bug.

Landorus-Therian: A monster resembling a flying tiger gone wild. Its Intimidating presence may hinder my friends and its capability of attacking then fleeing from the battlefield against an unfavorable foe may prove difficult to deal with.

Bisharp: A mighty FUTURE NINJA. He mostly relies on sneaky tactics to strike the opponent which can be his downfall. If given the opportunity, he can make short work of my friends.

I call forth my own teammates to present and prepare themselves for the battle.
Guardian Sara's team:

Metagross
: The mighty metallic mind that takes pride in his brute strength. Specifically designed to sponge the opponent's attacks and punish them in return, he promises to be an asset to preserve for this battle.

Clefable: This Fairy fell from the stars and lived to tell the tale. Yue is capable of taking Special attacks and provides support for the rest of her team. She also works well in combination with Metagross.

Tyranitar: A monstrously bulky Dino with the ability to transform into an even stronger version of himself. Dino does well at setting up pesky pebbles that trip up the opponent and can take even the most powerful of attacks.

Delphox: This foxy mage is a pyromaniac that deals more damage than most people give her credit for. I am most certain she will be able to do well versus the dragon's minions.

Rotom-Wash: I purchased my own copy of Marvin the Paranoid Android but I'm sure my own will perform differently from the dragon's. It will be essential to keep Marvin around for the duration of the match.

Tangrowth: I stumbled across this assortment of vines while searching for another teammate to complete my group of six. Velma has done increasingly well for me since I introduced her and I suspect she will do so again.

BEGIN THE BATTLE!

Battle between Guardian Sara and DragonBean started!
Go! Rotom-Wash!
DragonBean sent out Landorus-Therian!
The opposing Landorus-Therian intimidates Rotom-Wash!
Rotom-Wash's Attack fell!

(100%) [Grrr...]

(100%) -1 Attack [CAT DETECTED. ENGAGING WATER CYCLE.]

Interesting choice. I expected Twin-Tusks to lead but this is a favorable situation as well. I know I left my scarf in during Marvin's spin cycle so I can safely rinse this tiger without much worry. Should his tiger wear a scarf itself then this is an opportune moment to find out.

Turn 1

Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!
It's super effective! The opposing Landorus-Therian lost 100% of its health!
The opposing Landorus-Therian fainted!
DragonBean sent out Rotom-Wash!
(fainted) --->
(100%) [FELLOW ANDROID DETECTED. ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!]

(100%) -1 Attack [FELLOW ANDROID DETECTED. ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!]

That worked out much better than I expected. I have an early advantage and one annoying minion is gone. Marvin looks like he's about to have an existential crisis, though, and he can't do much to his own kind so it's best he fall back for now. Yue can handle most Marvin Androids so I'll have her come in now.

SCORE: 6-5

Turn 2

Rotom-Wash, come back!
Go! Clefable!

The opposing Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
Clefable lost 16.2% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Wash went back to DragonBean!
DragonBean sent out Genesect!
The opposing Genesect's Download raised its Attack!

Clefable restored HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) --->
(100%) +1 Attack [torrenting ClefableWeaknesses.txt]

(90%) [I may have stopped using diapers too soon...]

This Techno Bug definitely has the advantage here. He can opt to attack Yue straight-out and threaten to defeat her in one move but he can also attempt to hit-and-run expecting me to call Yue back. Luckily, Yue can shield herself for a turn to see what it will do, as it is most likely equipped with a speedy scarf.

Turn 3

Clefable used Protect!
Clefable protected itself!

The opposing Genesect used U-turn!
Clefable protected itself!

(100%) +1 Attack [attack.exe failed to execute]

(96%) [Phew, I'm not scared anymore!]

So he does try to predict Yue to fall back. I'm in a much better position now as he will likely U-turn again, which will allow Yue to attack something as it comes into battle. Flamethrower would hit 3 out of the 4 minions that the dragon could send in for good damage but I don't want the dragon to know Yue can use Flamethrower just yet. Moonblast is Yue's only other and best attack so that's what I'll have her attack with.

Turn 4

It's not very effective... Clefable lost 30.5% of its health!

The opposing Genesect went back to DragonBean!
DragonBean sent out Bisharp!

Clefable used Moonblast!
The opposing Bisharp lost 54.9% of its health!

The opposing Bisharp restored HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) --->
(52%) [You will pay dearly for that.]

(72%) [And I'm wetting myself again...]

And Yue is put in another unfavorable position. The future ninja is surely faster as he ate his food quicker than Yue did and I don't want to lose Yue to an Iron Head. Velma is my best bet to take the future ninja's attack and retaliate.

Turn 5

Clefable, come back!
Go! Tangrowth!

The opposing Bisharp used Substitute!
The opposing Bisharp put in a substitute!
The opposing Bisharp lost 25% of its health!

(33%) behind a Substitute [Substitute no jutsu!]

(72%) --->
(100%) [Jinkies!]

Oh boy, this could be trouble. Good prediction on the future ninja's part, as bad as it is for my friend and me. Luckily, Velma isn't like most other Tangrowth and has a way of dealing with this situation.

Turn 6

The opposing Bisharp used Swords Dance!
The opposing Bisharp's Attack sharply rose!

Tangrowth used Focus Blast!
The opposing Bisharp avoided the attack!

(39%) +2 Attack behind a Substitute [Your death shall be quick.]

(100%) [My glasses! I can't see without my glasses!]

Of course, that requires Velma to actually make contact with her attacks. I sigh as I have no choice but to let Velma try to connect the attack once again.

Turn 7

The opposing Bisharp used Iron Head!
Tangrowth lost 61.9% of its health!

It's super effective! The opposing Bisharp's substitute faded!
Tangrowth lost some of its HP!

(45%) +2 Attack [Impressive feat, but don't think it will happen again.]

(29%) [You stop that.]

Thankfully, Velma manages to destroy the future ninja's Substitute, though she does get severely injured in the process. The future ninja is likely to Iron Head again and I can still salvage Velma by letting her fall back to Regenerate. There's only one mage that can finish this job and she's about to make her star appearance.

Turn 8

Tangrowth, come back!
Go! Delphox!

The opposing Bisharp used Sucker Punch!
But it failed!

(50%) +2 Attack [Tch, cowardly move.]

(62%) --->
(100%) [What was that?!]

Again, not what I expected but still a good situation. I expect the future ninja to Sucker Punch Foxy for a KO but I have something else in mind which will be a rude surprise.

Turn 9

Delphox used Will-O-Wisp!
The opposing Bisharp was burned!

The opposing Bisharp used Substitute!
The opposing Bisharp put in a substitute!
The opposing Bisharp lost 25% of its health!

The opposing Bisharp was hurt by its burn!

DragonBean: you're faster? ._.
+DragonBean: !data delphox
DragonBean: dats fast

(19%) +2 Attack BURNED behind a Substitute [Ugh, I've made one too many mistakes...]

(100%) [Burn, baby, burn!]

The future ninja makes a terrible mistake expecting me to let Foxy fall back in order to decrease the number of times he can Sucker Punch. Instead, I manage to Burn him as he limits his longevity even more by performing his Substitute jutsu again. The dragon expresses his surprise by the turn of events and I slyly smile to myself. I can switch my comrades in and out at this point and let the future ninja die in his Burned condition.

Turn 10

Delphox, come back!

Go! Tyranitar!
A sandstorm kicked up!

But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.

(13%) +2 Attack BURNED behind a Substitute [Can't... last... much longer...]

(100%) --->
(100%) [*PREHISTORIC ROARING*]

The future ninja is slowly dying and it's only a matter of time before the burns take him out. I am worried about the damage he can do even if I allow Dino to evolve further, though, as I want Dino to be at an optimal health to deal with the rest of the dragon's minions. I choose to go into Marvin, expecting an Iron Head.

Turn 11
Guardian Sara: It is xD
Guardian Sara: Surprisingly some people have difficulty with Delphox because it's just not seen

Tyranitar, come back!
Go! Rotom-Wash!

It's not very effective... Rotom-Wash lost 15.4% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

Rotom-Wash is buffeted by the sandstorm!

(6%) +2 Attack BURNED behind a Substitute [One final chance...]

(100%) --->
(79%) [SCRATCH DETECTED. SCHEDULING SERVICING APPOINTMENT]

As expected, the future ninja does attack with Iron Head. I exchange some banter with the dragon so as not to be a man of poor sportsmanship. The future ninja only has one hit left in him and odds are he'll Sucker Punch to try and damage Marvin. I know better than that though.

Turn 12

Rotom-Wash, come back!
Go! Delphox!

But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.

Delphox is buffeted by the sandstorm!

The opposing Bisharp fainted!

DragonBean: cri

(fainted) --->
(100%) [ANIMAL DETECTED. ENGAGING WATER CYCLE.]

(79%) --->
(94%) [*whimpers*]

I swim in the tears of the dragon as his future ninja falls. His Marvin versus Foxy isn't good though. I decide to send in my own Marvin in case the dragon's Marvin is also washing a scarf and wants to try to Trick Yue as I have had her come in before and she is a likely switch-in.

SCORE: 6-4

Turn 13
Guardian Sara: I guess this comfirms my testing to see if Will-O-Wisp over Shadow Ball was a good idea
DragonBean: haha

Delphox, come back!
Go! Rotom-Wash!

The opposing Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective... Rotom-Wash lost 28.2% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

The opposing Rotom-Wash is buffeted by the sandstorm!

(95%) [ANDROID DETECTED. ELIMINATE!!!]

(94%) --->
(44%) [WATER DETECTED. SHORT-CIRCUITING.]

I exchange some more banter with the dragon. The opposing Marvin played it safe and my Marvin paid the price. I might need to find an opportunity for Yue to heal Marvin. Until then, Marvin vs Marvin is still not a good matchup. My best option is to have my Marvin Volt Switch to get off the battlefield and send forth an appropriate teammate.

Turn 14

Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
The opposing Rotom-Wash lost 32.0% of its health!

Rotom-Wash went back to Guardian Sara!
Go! Clefable!

The opposing Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
Clefable lost 17.5% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Wash went back to DragonBean!
DragonBean sent out Lucario!

The sandstorm subsided.

(63%) --->
(100%) [I'm Goku! I'm insane!]

(44%) --->
(61%) [*excretes nervously*]

The dragon makes the better move by having his own Marvin Volt Switch knowing my Marvin is faster. At least I know for sure that his Marvin holds no scarf now. That doesn't detract from the current situation,though, which could not be any worse. His Saiyan is definitely going to go for the Super Saiyan transformation and that could spell disaster for me. I also haven't figured out what kind of offense his Saiyan possesses, which adds to the need to make a decisive move. If his Saiyan attacks, Yue will likely go down, but if I call Yue back and he boosts his power even further, the battle could be lost. I have to decide my course of action soon.

After some thinking, I decide it is too risky to allow his Saiyan to boost himself without any repercussion so I allow Yue to possibly sacrifice herself in an attempt to significantly hurt the Saiyan with a Flamethrower.

Turn 15

Lucario has Mega Evolved into Mega Lucario!

The opposing Lucario used Nasty Plot!
The opposing Lucario's Special Attack sharply rose!

Clefable used Flamethrower!
It's super effective! The opposing Lucario lost 61.7% of its health!

--->
+2 Special Attack (39%) [I meant SUPER Insane!]

(67%) [I'm getting too old for this...]

As I thought, the Saiyan went for the power boost, but not without getting some serious punishment from Yue. I am thankful that this Super Saiyan prefers his Kamehemahas to his up-close punches as it will be easier for me to deal with. Before I can do something to him, though, one of my teammates has to be sacrificed. Upon looking at the dragon's remaining minions, I deem Dino unfit to do much more than be a sacrificial lamb. I send him in to die for the greater good.

Turn 16

Clefable, come back!
Go! Tyranitar!
A sandstorm kicked up!

The opposing Lucario used Flash Cannon!
It's super effective! Tyranitar lost 100% of its health!

Tyranitar fainted!
The sandstorm rages.
Go! Metagross!

(39%) [KA-ME-HA-ME-HA!]

(67%) --->
(fainted) --->
(100%) [I'M GONNA WRECK IT!]

Dino vanishes from the battlefield as quickly as he enters. A valiant sacrifice, he was. He paves the way for Metagross to come in, equipped with a Vest designed for pure Assault. I trust him to take any one attack and demolish the Super Saiyan with an Earthquake.

SCORE: 5-4

Turn 17

The opposing Lucario used Aura Sphere!
Metagross lost 75.3% of its health!

Metagross used Earthquake!
It's super effective! The opposing Lucario lost 38.3% of its health!

The opposing Lucario fainted!
The sandstorm rages.
DragonBean sent out Mamoswine!

Guardian Sara: Thank you based Meta

(fainted) --->
(100%) [The earth will quake at my feet.]

(25%) [I hope you got tickets for the gun show]

As I expected, Metagross tanked the Super Saiyan's hit and KO'd him and I thank him for his efforts. Metagross still took heavy damage from the attack though and as much as I would like to keep him around, he won't be doing much more against the dragon's minions. I decide to let Metagross have one final shot to punish the opponent.

SCORE: 5-3

Turn 18

Metagross used Bullet Punch!
It's super effective! The opposing Mamoswine lost 51.4% of its health!

The opposing Mamoswine used Icicle Crash!
It's not very effective... Metagross lost 23.1% of its health!
The opposing Mamoswine lost some of its HP!
The sandstorm rages.

(39%) [Bullets! My one weakness!]

(2%) [*on his last leg... arm... limb-thing...*]

To my surprise, the dragon expects my Marvin to come in against his Twin-Tusk and thus attacks Metagross with an ineffective move! This leaves Metagross with the slightest of health, but I see purpose in preserving him. After seeing the Twin-Tusk's item, I know that he will use his own form of priority to finish off Metagross. I can use this to my advantage and save Metagross as cannon-fodder.

Turn 19

Metagross, come back!
Go! Delphox!

The opposing Mamoswine used Ice Shard!
It's not very effective... Delphox lost 21.3% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

Delphox is buffeted by the sandstorm!

(29%) [The Ice Age is almost over...]

(2%) --->
(67%) [I'm about to melt some ice caps]

At this point, almost any move would take out Twin-Tusk. I let Foxy go for the most accurate move though so as not to risk anything and just in case the dragon wants to save his Twin-Tusk for later.

Turn 20

DragonBean withdrew Mamoswine!

Delphox used Psyshock!
The opposing Rotom-Wash lost 44.9% of its health!
Delphox lost some of its HP!

The sandstorm subsided.
(29%) --->
(18%) [LAUNDRY REACHING CRITICAL MASS. OVERLOADING!]

(67%) [*cue B.o.B. ft. Rivers Coumo - Magic*]

As expected, going for the safer move pays off. The dragon tries to bring his Marvin in and save his Twin-Tusk but his plan does not go as planned. One more attack will take care of this Paranoid Android.

Turn 21
DragonBean: gg
Guardian Sara: Already? o 3 o

Delphox used Psyshock!
The opposing Rotom-Wash lost 17.2% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Wash fainted!

DragonBean: well you've won lol
DragonBean: I was outplayed from the start

(fainted) --->
(100%) +1 Attack [Google search: rule 34 delphox]

(47%) [HEY!]

The dragon admits defeat early, to my surprise. He even compliments me to boot! I am not so sure I have this victory yet and he seems intent on seeing this battle through to the very end so I don't plan on easing so soon.

SCORE: 5-2

Turn 22
Guardian Sara: Well, thank you!
DragonBean: unless

Delphox, come back!
Go! Metagross!

Metagross lost 1.6% of its health!

Metagross fainted!

The opposing Genesect went back to DragonBean!
DragonBean sent out Mamoswine!

Go! Delphox!

DragonBean: nah it's cool i've got this
DragonBean: no prob

(100%) --->
(29%) [MUSIC BATTLE]

(47%) --->
(fainted) --->
(47%) [YOU'RE ON]

I send in Metagross as cannon-fodder to find out what his Techno Bug wants to lock himself into. The Techno Bug makes the better move by using U-turn but it lets me bring forth whichever of my remaining teammates for free. Foxy makes the best way to deal with Twin-Tusk and has done all she can so I have her finish the job she started. The dragon seems to be regaining confidence in his chances of winning...

SCORE: 4-2

Turn 23

The opposing Mamoswine used Ice Shard!
It's not very effective... Delphox lost 20.6% of its health!

Delphox used Psyshock!
The opposing Mamoswine lost 18.8% of its health!

The opposing Mamoswine fainted!

DragonBean: yus attack boost

(fainted) --->
(100%) +1 Attack [playing Final Countdown.mp3]

(16%) [I'll raise you one better]

Twin-Tusk goes down, but not without leaving a parting gift in the form of a slab of ice in the face. Techno Bug returns to the battlefield one last time, but can it mow through the remaining 4 members of my party?

SCORE: 4-1

Turn 24

The opposing Genesect used Iron Head!
It's not very effective... Delphox lost 15.8% of its health!

Delphox fainted!
DragonBean: I could claw it back
DragonBean: maybe
Guardian Sara: gasp

Go! Tangrowth!

(100%) +1 Attack [delphox.exe deleted]

(fainted) --->
(62%) [Jeepers!]

Techno Bug gets his first KO and both the dragon and I begin to realise the possibility that his victory is still in sight. I have Velma come in so she can switch out to Regenerate more health, as I want to be as safe as I can against this Techno Bug.

SCORE: 3-1

Turn 25
DragonBean: flinchessssss
DragonBean: pls

Tangrowth, come back!
Go! Clefable!

It's super effective! Clefable lost 66.2% of its health!

Clefable fainted!
Go! Tangrowth!

(100%) +1 Attack [clefable.exe deleted]

(95%) --->
(fainted) --->
(95%) [Scooby-Doo! Where are you!]

SCORE: 2-1

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to bring you this following advertisement from SpecsSavers.

Turn 26
DragonBean: gd regenerator
DragonBean: :[
Guardian Sara: hehe

Tangrowth lost 40.8% of its health!

Tangrowth used Sleep Powder!
The opposing Genesect fell asleep!
Turn 27
DragonBean: :l
DragonBean: lol

The opposing Genesect is fast asleep.

The opposing Genesect avoided the attack!

Turn 28
Guardian Sara: bluh
DragonBean: haha again
Guardian Sara: Reason why I used Sleep Powder first
Guardian Sara: more accurate :V

DragonBean: LOL
Guardian Sara: omg why
DragonBean: wake up and flinch
DragonBean: u got dis
Is your Pokemon missing 70+% accurate moves? Come on down to SpecsSavers and buy yourself a set of Wide Lens today! SpecsSavers - for when your Pokemon's moves can't hit for shit.

Turn 29

The opposing Genesect lost 64.0% of its health!

(37%) +1 Attack ASLEEP [Sleep mode]

(44%) [Did I get him?]

It took Velma THREE tries to connect Focus Blast with that damn Techno Bug. And it STILL isn't dead. That's it; I've had enough of this. Hidden Power Rock should do the trick from here because I cannot afford to have Velma miss again.

Turn 30
DragonBean: dont switch

The opposing Genesect woke up!
Tangrowth lost 43.3% of its health!

Tangrowth used Hidden Power!
The opposing Genesect lost 34.3% of its health!

Tangrowth fainted!
Go! Rotom-Wash!

DragonBean: ooooooh
Guardian Sara: ooo the smidgens
DragonBean: THE SMIDGENS

(2%) +1 Attack [tentacle monster.exe deleted]

(fainted) --->
(44%) [ENEMY DETECTED. THIS WILL NOT END WELL.]

I breathe a heavy sigh as Velma fails to finish off the Techno Bug. I send in Marvin as my last hope. Surely this Android is enough of a match for this Bug... right?

SCORE: 1-1

Turn 31

It's not very effective... Rotom-Wash lost 20.3% of its health!

Rotom-Wash flinched and couldn't move!

DragonBean: OOOOH
Guardian Sara: oh damn this is close
DragonBean: crit
DragonBean: max damage

(2%) [torrenting hax.exe]

(24%) [MAL- MAL- MALFUNCTION!]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
MARVIN.
STOP.
YOUR.
SHIT.
LET'S END THIS WITH A WIN OR I WILL TRADE YOU IN FOR THE TOASTER.

Turn 32

It's not very effective... Rotom-Wash lost 20.3% of its health!

Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
The opposing Genesect lost 1.8% of its health!

The opposing Genesect fainted!

Guardian Sara won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Guardian Sara's rating: 1854 → 1870
(+16 for winning)
DragonBean's rating: 1658 → 1628
(-30 for losing)

Guardian Sara: ahhhhhh
DragonBean: what a game
Guardian Sara: gg indeed
DragonBean: :]

I praise the gods above for letting Marvin clinch the victory. It was a narrow escape from defeat, leaving only one of my teammates remaining, but I still stand victorious. The dragon gives his thanks for a well fought battle and leaves me to tend to my fallen teammates. They'll be alright with time, and you can be damn sure they'll be battling again!

Props and Slops:

Props:
  • Metagross for dealing with the major threat of Mega Lucario and dealing some additional damage to boot
  • Genesect for plowing through my team while being the last Pokemon standing
  • Delphox for taking DragonBean by surprise as she isn't seen so much in OU
  • Clefable for being a nuisance to a team with 3 powerful Steel-types

Slops:
  • Tangrowth for missing three too many attacks
  • Tyranitar for not doing anything this battle, not even setting up rocks
  • Landorus-Therian for fainting on turn one

MVP

It was hard to decide an MVP for this match since everybody (except you Dino) carried their own weight but I think I'll have to go with...

Delphox did a considerable amount of work in this battle - finishing off a worn down Rotom-W, Mamoswine and crippling a Bisharp that could have done serious damage to my team! I know there are better Fire-types to use in OU but Delphox just fits into most of my teams so well. Maybe I'll even see more of her soon haha!

Additional Comments:

Before I wrap this warstory up I just wanted to add a few things about some plays which could have been better.

Turn 8

Tangrowth, come back!
Go! Delphox!

But it failed!

DragonBean had no reason to not go for the Iron Head on this turn as he was clearly faster than my Tangrowth. If he had gone for the Iron Head, Delphox would've taken some serious damage due to its frailty to Physical attacks and it may not have been as much of a problem later on in the battle.

Turn 11
Guardian Sara: It is xD
Guardian Sara: Surprisingly some people have difficulty with Delphox because it's just not seen

Tyranitar, come back!
Go! Rotom-Wash!

It's not very effective... Rotom-Wash lost 15.4% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

In retrospect, had I stayed in with Tyranitar I could have Mega Evolved to increase my bulk, taken the BURNED Iron Head, and set up my Stealth Rocks without much consequence. At the time I had wanted to keep my Tyranitar as healthy as possible in case it had to go up against Genesect, Mamoswine, or Rotom-W but I have invested in physical bulk quite a bit on Tyranitar so a Burned Iron Head, even at +2, probably wouldn't have done all too much. The Stealth Rocks would've definitely been helpful later on in the match.

Turn 13
Guardian Sara: I guess this comfirms my testing to see if Will-O-Wisp over Shadow Ball was a good idea

Delphox, come back!
Go! Rotom-Wash!

The opposing Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective... Rotom-Wash lost 28.2% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

The opposing Rotom-Wash is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Though I was skeptical about the Rotom-W's item at the time, if his Landorus-T wasn't scarfed then there was a pretty high chance that Genesect was his scarfer. Switching into my own Rotom-W to take the Hydro Pump was alright just in case his Rotom-W was scarfed but had his Mega Lucario been physical, I would've needed my own Rotom-W to be as healthy as possible to take a +2 Bullet Punch. Switching into Rotom-W here was alright but it wasn't the best move to make.

Turn 26
DragonBean: gd regenerator
DragonBean: :[
Guardian Sara: hehe

Tangrowth lost 40.8% of its health!

Tangrowth used Sleep Powder!
The opposing Genesect fell asleep!
Turn 27
DragonBean: :l
DragonBean: lol

Given that the Genesect had 1 guaranteed turn of sleep, the better play here would've been to abuse that and switch out to Rotom-W, Volt Switch and come back into Tangrowth to be at a better amount of health. At this point in the match I simply thought spamming Focus Blast would end the battle, even with its shaky accuracy.

Lessons Learned/Things to take Note of:

• Don't be so eager to throw away low HP Pokemon if you have something that can take the incoming hit with relative ease; they make for good death fodder which you can use to your advantage
  • Hax is an absolute pain in the ass so if you're in a secure enough position you should make the safest play (by secure enough position I mean that you don't need to make the risky play to turn the tides of the battle)
  • Weigh your risk vs reward very carefully and think long-term about it. An example of this is Turn 1 in this battle. I don't know if DragonBean had never encountered scarfed Rotom-W's before or what, but his Landorus-Therian would've been definitely useful to have later in the battle, given my 3 Pokemon weak to Earthquake. It was not worth risking such a valuable Pokemon on the assumption that the majority of Rotom-W's are defensive so why would this one be any different?

Well, that about does it for this warstory. I thank you for reading this in its entirety and I hope it was an entertaining, enjoyable, and/or educational read! Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
This was a great warstory, the battle was close, and the commentary was entertaining. Well done!

Just a little nitpick:

Mamoswine: The mighty Twin-Tusk behemoth, thought to have gone instinct centuries ago. It is likely a lead to set up hidden hazards that will weaken my comrades as they enter and exit battle. How problematic.
Instinct should be extinct.

Last edited:
This was a great warstory, the battle was close, and the commentary was entertaining. Well done!

Just a little nitpick:

[quote="Kakimori, post: 5085898, member: 32312"Mamoswine: The mighty Twin-Tusk behemoth, thought to have gone instinct centuries ago. It is likely a lead to set up hidden hazards that will weaken my comrades as they enter and exit battle. How problematic.
Instinct should be extinct.[/quote]

Oh god I feel so embarrassed I proofread this twice over and had a friend proofread it too I can't believe I missed something like that D:

Thank you for the compliment and I will fix that right away!

lol that commentary is epic. Also Genesect is very powerful.

Although I have no idea why your Tangrowth is running HP Rock over Ancientpower.

This is one of the funniest warstories I've read in a long time. Brava! Er... I mean, bravo!
Thank you; I'm glad you enjoyed it! (I see what you did there haha)
lol that commentary is epic. Also Genesect is very powerful.

Although I have no idea why your Tangrowth is running HP Rock over Ancientpower.
Damn, I hadn't considered that. I had HP Fire initially then just switched it to HP Rock because of all the Flying and Fire/Flying switch-ins. Thank you for the feedback!

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A brilliant warstory, with clearly a lot of effort put in. After this close evaluation, I really did play this game poorly and this has inspired me to think more about my moves. Congratulations on your first warstory and thanks for being a great opponent :]

Amazing warstory dude.
9/10
Thank you!

A brilliant warstory, with clearly a lot of effort put in. After this close evaluation, I really did play this game poorly and this has inspired me to think more about my moves. Congratulations on your first warstory and thanks for being a great opponent :]
Glad to see you found our battle haha! Thank you for the kind words and for the battle! :D

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Epic commentary! However, I see having Delphox as a problem, as Delphox is weak to dark; in fact, 4/6 of your team is weak to one of its STABs. I'd try to remedy that somehow, although Bisharp is a UU Pokemon.

As already stated, I LOVE your commentary.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The best thing was the text you put for the Pokemon matchups. I especially lol'd at "tentacle monster.exe deleted" and "torrenting hax.exe". Good job, well done.

Epic commentary! However, I see having Delphox as a problem, as Delphox is weak to dark; in fact, 4/6 of your team is weak to one of its STABs. I'd try to remedy that somehow, although Bisharp is a UU Pokemon.

As already stated, I LOVE your commentary.
Thank you; I gave it my best haha! Yeah, this team isn't/wasn't too serious just more of a fun team that does decently well at times. Like I said, I had made it for Pre-PokeBank OU and it was fun there and just used it to see what PokeBank OU was like so I could get a feel for what to prepare for when building other teams.

The best thing was the text you put for the Pokemon matchups. I especially lol'd at "tentacle monster.exe deleted" and "torrenting hax.exe". Good job, well done.
Haha, thank you! I actually got the idea from one of the warstories in the warstory archive so I can't take full credit!

I really liked this warstory, especially in a time where there are (1) limited warstories and (2) mediocre warstories are the norm. The commentary was fantastic, and the nicknames for the Pokemon (Twin-Tusk, Techno Bug, etc.) really added to the drama.

However, your opponent's Bisharp play where he used Sucker Punch instead of Iron Head? Ugh. Completely unnecessary.

I like how you put the extra effort for the little convo snippets, and the music and such!

Nothing says epic fight climax like final countdown (and the spongebob song XD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)