5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

I have an issue with every version of RNG reporter. After I make a profile, every single time I try to exit, an error screen pops up, saying

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Access to the path 'C:\Windows\system32\profiles.xml' is denied."

If you click continue, nothing happens and your still in the profile viewing area. If you click Quit, the entire program closes and does not save the profile, meaning that I cannot do any gen 5 RNG. There is only one report of this happening and it never got resolved. I have factory reset the computer to see if it was a virus. Same error. I have downloaded it on another computer. Same error. I have tried a completely different wi-fi on a different computer. Same error. I have tried every download link that I could find on the internet for RNG reporter for any version. SAME ERROR! And since this has only been reported once, then this isnt because of the program. So, I have come down to these options.

1. It wont download in the correct spot or correctly. (it will always go to downloads)

2.These downloads happen in the same general area.

3.I have bad luck

Despite having these options, I am honestly clueless. Could anyone help?

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have an issue with every version of RNG reporter. After I make a profile, every single time I try to exit, an error screen pops up, saying

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Access to the path 'C:\Windows\system32\profiles.xml' is denied."

If you click continue, nothing happens and your still in the profile viewing area. If you click Quit, the entire program closes and does not save the profile, meaning that I cannot do any gen 5 RNG. There is only one report of this happening and it never got resolved. I have factory reset the computer to see if it was a virus. Same error. I have downloaded it on another computer. Same error. I have tried a completely different wi-fi on a different computer. Same error. I have tried every download link that I could find on the internet for RNG reporter for any version. SAME ERROR! And since this has only been reported once, then this isnt because of the program. So, I have come down to these options.

1. It wont download in the correct spot or correctly. (it will always go to downloads)

2.These downloads happen in the same general area.

3.I have bad luck

Despite having these options, I am honestly clueless. Could anyone help?
tldr version is that it shouldn't be trying to access a file that's in C:\Windows\system32\, and the reason it's erroring is because those are system files and you presumably don't have admin access on your computer. Try downloading the RNGReporter.exe and moving it (ctrl-x -> ctrl-v) to a new folder on your Desktop or something, as the program should automatically generate the profiles.xml in the same folder as the executable is saved in. If it's in a folder that you know you have access to, then it should be fine. If you try this and it's still pointing to C:\Windows\system32\, then try a different version of reporter (9.96.5 (recommended) or 10.x). If you're still having problems after this, respond to this message because I have a couple more ideas we can try.

Last edited:
tldr version is that it shouldn't be trying to access a file that's in C:\Windows\system32\, and the reason it's erroring is because those are system files and you presumably don't have admin access on your computer. Try downloading the RNGReporter.exe and moving it (ctrl-x -> ctrl-v) to a new folder on your Desktop or something, as the program should automatically generate the profiles.xml in the same folder as the executable is saved in. If it's in a folder that you know you have access to, then it should be fine. If you try this and it's still pointing to C:\Windows\system32\, then try a different version of reporter (9.96.5 (recommended) or 10.x). If you're still having problems after this, respond to this message because I have a couple more ideas we can try.
It didn't work and there is no version of RNG reporter that has profiles that will work. I don't know if this is relevant, but it sometimes shows it as a zip file.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
It didn't work and there is no version of RNG reporter that has profiles that will work. I don't know if this is relevant, but it sometimes shows it as a zip file.
Cool, so try unzipping/extracting the .zip (winRAR or 7Zip are good choices for this if you don't know how) and then running the extracted executable. If you don't unzip it first then any external files (looking at you, profiles.xml) that it relies on it won't be able to find, and this is probably why it's looking in the wrong location.

Problem
Cool, so try unzipping/extracting the .zip (winRAR or 7Zip are good choices for this if you don't know how) and then running the extracted executable. If you don't unzip it first then any external files (looking at you, profiles.xml) that it relies on it won't be able to find, and this is probably why it's looking in the wrong location.
Problem solved. Thanks.

So I've searched/googled for nearly an hour, but wasn't able to find a clear answer. I know that Uxie, Cobalion, Terrakium, Virizion and Kyurem have additional advancements either by WNPCs or Ghetsis' scepter in B2W2. I would like to know how high these advancements are for each of them. So, I can get an idea for what target frame I should aim.
The thing is that I'm planning to rng my id on b2 for a 6x31 shiny sync frame, but I have no idea which frame to pick. I'm not a fan of doing huge amounts of chatots, but I don't want to risk missing my target frame because it was set to early. And it has been a while since I rnged these pokemon, so I have no memory about my past target frames :'D Would be nice if anybody could give me advice (:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
So I've searched/googled for nearly an hour, but wasn't able to find a clear answer. I know that Uxie, Cobalion, Terrakium, Virizion and Kyurem have additional advancements either by WNPCs or Ghetsis' scepter in B2W2. I would like to know how high these advancements are for each of them. So, I can get an idea for what target frame I should aim.
The thing is that I'm planning to rng my id on b2 for a 6x31 shiny sync frame, but I have no idea which frame to pick. I'm not a fan of doing huge amounts of chatots, but I don't want to risk missing my target frame because it was set to early. And it has been a while since I rnged these pokemon, so I have no memory about my past target frames :'D Would be nice if anybody could give me advice (:
The number of advances is dependent upon the seed and how quickly you can bring up the menu, so there's no definite number. Ballpark...I'd say 5-7 advances for each (though I admit it's been a long time). If you aim for a frame that requires 20 advances for example, that should be more than enough.

You shouldn't have a problem finding additional seeds should you pick a frame too early, however. With enough years, keypresses, and patience searching I guarantee you you'll find another seed you like. RNGing your IDs is nice so you can know your SID, but it's not necessary for ensuring you have a good frame this gen.

I feel kinda dumb. I tried various seeds to rng abuse the gift magikarp in bw (the one you have to buy on the marvelous brigde). I choose a 6x0 IV-Split, due to a friends request (needed for swap breeding). But however, I always get a 0/0/0/0/0/31 Split (confirmed through iv jugde and calculator). First I thought that I hit the wrong seed and tried it various times. But everything worked correctly (nature, gender and chatots). Then I thought it might be the seed not working properly. So, I tried three different seeds and had always the same result.
Is it even possible to rng abuse such an iv-split in 5th gen? Or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Okay, I figured it out by myself. It seems like the magikarp has a forced 31 IV stat on initiative. I entered the game serveral times on random dates and it always had this iv stat. Guess I'll have to use breeding to get the desired magikarp.

Last edited:
Okay, my current rng attempt is driving me crazy... I need to determine my ssf for thundurus in BW but I can't really find something useful in rng reporter. This is what I got so far:
Numbers of chatots / nature (how often)
+0 Quiet(10)
+10 Brave(8)
+12 Adamant
+13 Modest
+14 Quirky
+16 Hardy
+17 Impish(2)
+18 Hardy
+20 Hardy(8)
+22 Brave
+30 Careful(2)
+40 Rash

Seed 8A1BE5351331D067

It's not my first time doing this, I did several Roamers in the past and even a shiny one, mostly tornadus. I'm aware that the actual difference between the natures is not consistent (like I did 10 advancements, but it's in fact only 8 because the frame advancement during the weather is not consistent). I looked through rng reporter for three times, one search within the standard range and the other two searches within the first 1000 frames. But I couldn't find something matching ._. It would be really helpful if someone could look through rng reporter, maybe I'm just too blind to find the ssf.
Also, what throws me off is the fact that I'm consistently hitting the same nature. I had always a small range of different natures for one sort of advancement in my past rng attempts (tornadus). Like adamant, bold, hardy and naive for always ten advancements. But I tried two different seeds for thundurus and also hit only one nature per advancement. Is this normal for thundurus?
Help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Also, what throws me off is the fact that I'm consistently hitting the same nature. I had always a small range of different natures for one sort of advancement in my past rng attempts (tornadus). Like adamant, bold, hardy and naive for always ten advancements. But I tried two different seeds for thundurus and also hit only one nature per advancement. Is this normal for thundurus?
I don't know of any differences mechanically between Thundurus and Tornadus. The consistent results could mean the advances are tied to the PID frame, which is something I've theorized from this and what little White Forest RNG I've attempted (another user suggested this to me...4-5 years ago I guess). I digress, but the point is I'm not that surprised you are able to get somewhat consistent results. Though I can't say why.

Without knowing much about your setup/method, frames 1558/1561 seem pretty decent as your SSF. They match up well with the natures you've consistently gotten, though it's not perfect. It might be worth comparing the characteristics too since they might help (I have had them wrong in the distant past fwiw)...basically anything you can do to narrow down what PID you got. In case you don't know, you can right click in the main window and say "Display Characteristics in search..." to show the corresponding characteristics. Good luck!

In case you don't know, you can right click in the main window and say "Display Characteristics in search..." to show the corresponding characteristics. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for this tip. Totally forgot that feature exists ^^" I was finally able to narrow down my SSF on Frame 455/Quiet/Somewhat vain and got a timid one (after a lot of tries). Thank you very much (: I'm now able to rng for a shiny one.

Last edited:

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Thanks a lot for this tip. Totally forgot that feature exists ^^" I was finally able to narrow down my SSF on Frame 455/Quiet/Somewhat vain and got a timid one (after a lot of tries). Thank you very much (: I'm now able to rng for a shiny one.
Having a 3ds with CFW & Checkpoint might also help too, to backup your save prior to encountering the Genies, so that you can find out what PID you've hit after saving the game even when you didn't hit the target (so that you can restore the backup earlier when you're still inside the house before the encounter)

I've done lots of shiny Tornadus/Thundurus before. Here are some examples:

IMG_20200814_053515.jpg

IMG_20200813_230200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I'm trying to Stationary RNG the Uxie outside of the museum in Black 2. It's very frustrating, becasue I think the NPC's are messing with the starting frame. Does anyone know off the top of their heads how many frames the NPCs affect the starting PIDRNG frame?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi

I'm trying to Stationary RNG the Uxie outside of the museum in Black 2. It's very frustrating, becasue I think the NPC's are messing with the starting frame. Does anyone know off the top of their heads how many frames the NPCs affect the starting PIDRNG frame?
NPC movements vary with the seed (but are actually consistent for a given seed), so there is no definite answer. IIRC there are quite a few NPCs in Nacrene, so off the top of my head...idk like 15-20 ish frames? Since their movements are consistent, you should be able to determine your shifted starting frame without too much hassle as long as you open/close the menu consistently (throw in some chatters and you should be able to find a nature sequence). If you find that they are on the verge of moving (getting an inconsistent number of advances for the same timings in opening and closing the menu), you can try resaving, which'd put them in a different starting position.

Not sure the right place to post this, but has to do with RNGReporter in Gen 5, specifically the encounter slots:

While searching for a seed to get a L33 Litwick (Slot 4) in Strange House, I came across a seed that RNGReporter said would give a Slot 4 Pokemon, that was actually in Slot 5 (L32 Banette).

The seed in question was 008641E33FC410F7 at Frame 75.
Of note, the RNG at point of Encounter Slot generation would be B33CFE567E79D6E3.

B33C / 656 = 69.94, which would give Slot 4, and what I'm assuming RNGReporter is doing (since I saw that mentioned in another thread as well.)
But given it's actually Slot 5, I have to assume that is the wrong operation. B33C / 655.36 = 70.01, for reference, which would be Slot 5.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Not sure the right place to post this, but has to do with RNGReporter in Gen 5, specifically the encounter slots:

While searching for a seed to get a L33 Litwick (Slot 4) in Strange House, I came across a seed that RNGReporter said would give a Slot 4 Pokemon, that was actually in Slot 5 (L32 Banette).

The seed in question was 008641E33FC410F7 at Frame 75.
Of note, the RNG at point of Encounter Slot generation would be B33CFE567E79D6E3.

B33C / 656 = 69.94, which would give Slot 4, and what I'm assuming RNGReporter is doing (since I saw that mentioned in another thread as well.)
But given it's actually Slot 5, I have to assume that is the wrong operation. B33C / 655.36 = 70.01, for reference, which would be Slot 5.
Yup, relevant reporter code here. The repo is archived now, but if you give me 10 mins I'll compile a fixed version and attach it here!

Edit: Attached

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, I am attempting to RNG a shiny Tornadus in Black. I have identified my shifted starting frame and I am using Chatots to advance my frame before leaving the old lady's house. I am mashing through the text box to keep the timing consistent and trying different Chatot advancements (e.g 3 advancements x 5, 4 advancements x 5 etc.). I have been unable to hit my shiny frame (773) but have been able to hit most frames +-10 from my target frame.

I've done some reading and found that due to the rain and NPCs advancements, some frames are impossible to hit for Tornadus. Is this correct? Thanks.

Also, sometimes I get an alternative rain animation where there is less "wind gales" and the rain seems to extend for 1 or 2 seconds longer. This also seems to be linked with the frame I exit the house. Has anyone had this before?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi, I am attempting to RNG a shiny Tornadus in Black. I have identified my shifted starting frame and I am using Chatots to advance my frame before leaving the old lady's house. I am mashing through the text box to keep the timing consistent and trying different Chatot advancements (e.g 3 advancements x 5, 4 advancements x 5 etc.). I have been unable to hit my shiny frame (773) but have been able to hit most frames +-10 from my target frame.

I've done some reading and found that due to the rain and NPCs advancements, some frames are impossible to hit for Tornadus. Is this correct? Thanks.

Also, sometimes I get an alternative rain animation where there is less "wind gales" and the rain seems to extend for 1 or 2 seconds longer. This also seems to be linked with the frame I exit the house. Has anyone had this before?
1) Yeah you'll probably find that you're "locked" onto some PID frames, even possibly hitting a lower frame with more Chatot advancements. So you may find that some frames are just unhittable. If that's the case, you'll have to find a new seed/frame and hope for the best. It's potentially faster to pick a frame that you know you're hitting, then restart the game to RNG your IDs make that frame shiny. That's what a lot of people recommend you do. I've done it your way (pick and pray), and honestly if I were to do it again I'd probably go the ID approach.

2) I don't recall a difference in animation like that, but I also didn't pay that close attention (and it's been like 7 years lol). Idt there's anything wrong or anything you can do about that.

1) Yeah you'll probably find that you're "locked" onto some PID frames, even possibly hitting a lower frame with more Chatot advancements. So you may find that some frames are just unhittable. If that's the case, you'll have to find a new seed/frame and hope for the best. It's potentially faster to pick a frame that you know you're hitting, then restart the game to RNG your IDs make that frame shiny. That's what a lot of people recommend you do. I've done it your way (pick and pray), and honestly if I were to do it again I'd probably go the ID approach.

2) I don't recall a difference in animation like that, but I also didn't pay that close attention (and it's been like 7 years lol). Idt there's anything wrong or anything you can do about that.
Ah, that's unfortunate. Do you think if I used less Chatot advancements but delayed my text box mashing I could hit the frame? or will the locked PIDs still take priority?
Funnily enough I did start a new file to get this specific PID, but I didn't check beforehand to see if I could hit it! :psysly:

I'll catch a Tornadus with a useful nature and start a new file! Thank you!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Ah, that's unfortunate. Do you think if I used less Chatot advancements but delayed my text box mashing I could hit the frame? or will the locked PIDs still take priority?
Funnily enough I did start a new file to get this specific PID, but I didn't check beforehand to see if I could hit it! :psysly:

I'll catch a Tornadus with a useful nature and start a new file! Thank you!
It's worth a shot if you're right there, but I would doubt it. I actually remember it being somewhat insensitive to how long you wait in the text boxes; you keep getting drawn to the PID frames. You see a similar effect in White Forest. I'm not sure what about the RNG causes it.

Good luck, tho! This is definitely one of those glad/proud when it's done RNGs.

It's worth a shot if you're right there, but I would doubt it. I actually remember it being somewhat insensitive to how long you wait in the text boxes; you keep getting drawn to the PID frames. You see a similar effect in White Forest. I'm not sure what about the RNG causes it.

Good luck, tho! This is definitely one of those glad/proud when it's done RNGs.
Thank you! I'm going to restart my file. Playing through the game will take some time, but it will be worth it if the RNG is quicker!

Heyo, quick-ish question with hopefully an easy response.

I've been trying to RNG Joltik on my W2 cart for the past week, but while I haven't had any issues with hitting my desired seed (I've used this one before) my frames have been all over the place.

Obviously, that's usually a NPC issue - and it is. Chargestone Cave has plenty of NPCs that'll cause issues. But, I know people have been able to do RNG abuse in Chargestone, as there are a few mons from there floating about.

I checked the cave on my Black cart and the difference in NPCs is substantial. My current hunch is that NPC changes between the games makes it so that RNG in Chargestone in BW2 is impossible w/o doing it on em (could maybe do it with Chatot calls exclusively, but that's way beyond my ability).

So my question is that: is it impossible to do prng in Chargestone Cave in BW2, or is there a way to accomplish it?

Thanks in advance!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Heyo, quick-ish question with hopefully an easy response.

I've been trying to RNG Joltik on my W2 cart for the past week, but while I haven't had any issues with hitting my desired seed (I've used this one before) my frames have been all over the place.

Obviously, that's usually a NPC issue - and it is. Chargestone Cave has plenty of NPCs that'll cause issues. But, I know people have been able to do RNG abuse in Chargestone, as there are a few mons from there floating about.

I checked the cave on my Black cart and the difference in NPCs is substantial. My current hunch is that NPC changes between the games makes it so that RNG in Chargestone in BW2 is impossible w/o doing it on em (could maybe do it with Chatot calls exclusively, but that's way beyond my ability).

So my question is that: is it impossible to do prng in Chargestone Cave in BW2, or is there a way to accomplish it?

Thanks in advance!
Impossible no, annoying perhaps. Because the NPCs move the exact same way each time given a seed, the best course is to open your menu asap, perform your chatot calls, then sweet scent. Catch the mon you find, and assuming you hit your seed, figure out which frame you hit so you can adjust for your future attempts. If you open the menu at the same time on your future attempts, the NPCs will have advanced the same amount.

If you find that the NPCs are right on the verge of moving, you can resave and try again so they start in a new spot. However, in doing so you'll have to find your shifted starting frame again.

tl;dr be consistent in your timings and you should be able to get it.

Impossible no, annoying perhaps. Because the NPCs move the exact same way each time given a seed, the best course is to open your menu asap, perform your chatot calls, then sweet scent. Catch the mon you find, and assuming you hit your seed, figure out which frame you hit so you can adjust for your future attempts. If you open the menu at the same time on your future attempts, the NPCs will have advanced the same amount.

If you find that the NPCs are right on the verge of moving, you can resave and try again so they start in a new spot. However, in doing so you'll have to find your shifted starting frame again.

tl;dr be consistent in your timings and you should be able to get it.
Yeah, that would probably work if the starting IV frame was 1 - but unfortunately, this seed needs IV frame advancements as well, and it's the only viable one I have for a Joltik encounter slot.

I tried doing all the IV frame advancements outside Chargestone on Route 6 (there's a small area between the cave and the route) and that seems to technically work. The pidrng seems stable, but I have no idea where the heck I am on the list of frames. I triple tested the encounters and they're consistent, but they don't matching anything remotely close to what RNG Reporter has listed (at least nothing within the 1k frames). Possibly something to do with the act of entering the cave?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah, that would probably work if the starting IV frame was 1 - but unfortunately, this seed needs IV frame advancements as well, and it's the only viable one I have for a Joltik encounter slot.

I tried doing all the IV frame advancements outside Chargestone on Route 6 (there's a small area between the cave and the route) and that seems to technically work. The pidrng seems stable, but I have no idea where the heck I am on the list of frames. I triple tested the encounters and they're consistent, but they don't matching anything remotely close to what RNG Reporter has listed (at least nothing within the 1k frames). Possibly something to do with the act of entering the cave?
Ah, yeah that makes it considerably harder. Idt entering the cave would cause issues with the PIDRNG state, but I'm not 100% sure. Ideally the thing to do would be to run around to advance the IV frame, enter the cave, then use Chatot to figure out where you are by following the calls.

If you want I can take a look and see if I can find where you are. I'd need you to post...pretty much everything so I can replicate your screens on my end. Namely: seed, profile info, what you're after and what mon you got.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)