5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Not quite the right thread, this one is specifically for gen 5 stuff. Try this one next time.
1) Your seed changes every time you SR/start the game. This means you'll need to recalibrate each and every attempt, as well as find a new target seed.
2) SID is not necessary, but if you're looking for Shinies then you'll need your TSV.
Thanks!

Hello, i'm having a little problem with entralink abuse. Im using desmume 10 and black 1. I want to rng a perfect superpower spinda. Im always hitting the right delay that indicates seed finder/ adjacent seeds but the c gear seed is always different from the two first digits.
Can someone help me ?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
One possible reason would be you're hitting the right delay, but the wrong time (i.e. you're off by a second or two) so you're missing your initial seed. I'd double check which time you're actually hitting based on the adjacent seeds and adjust when you start the game accordingly. Afraid I can't speak for how to do that on an emu, but hopefully that gives you a starting point.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, i'm having a little problem with entralink abuse. Im using desmume 10 and black 1. I want to rng a perfect superpower spinda. Im always hitting the right delay that indicates seed finder/ adjacent seeds but the c gear seed is always different from the two first digits.
Can someone help me ?
Finally I'm not the only one who has this problem lol.
Fortunately, the solution is actually pretty easy - if what SF said to try doesn't work, then do this.
I made a post a few years ago detailing how to do this for gen 4, but it's also applicable here.
Basically, you put the first 4 digits of your target seed into the top row of this spreadsheet, and the first 4 digits of the seed you actually get into the second row. Then it does some magic and you try using the seed it calculates + the last 4 digits of your old seed as your target seed in the time finder. If everything goes right, you should hit your original intended target seed!

Last edited:
Regarding BW Roamers; Wouldn't it be possible to KO the Roamer and then RNG it before facing Alder in the E4? Same as HGSS Roamer RNG? (If it is possible wouldn't this be easier than the regular method on Route 7 since there would be no weather?)

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Regarding BW Roamers; Wouldn't it be possible to KO the Roamer and then RNG it before facing Alder in the E4? Same as HGSS Roamer RNG? (If it is possible wouldn't this be easier than the regular method on Route 7 since there would be no weather?)
Not 100% sure so someone else feel free to come along and correct me but I'm guessing once encountered the first time the spread is locked even if it's KOd (akin to how Gales shadows work), meaning they wouldn't be re-rngable second time around.

I'm pretty sure they re-generate with new stats etc at the Champion battle (Alder) in the E4 just like previous roamers.

Also a second question; IVFrame is 1 as usual and there is a shiny frame on 100 for example. If the IVFrame is advanced will frame 100 still be a shiny but with different stats/nature etc? [Not to sure how IVFrames really work as I've always used Frame 1]

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
From the OP:
OP said:
Although it is possible to RNG a shiny Roamer with the Elite Four, it will not let you get IVs
  • Battling with the Champion increases the PIDRNG frame by 6, the Roamer is then generated at the Hall of Fame Machine.
Iirc the IV frame is constantly advanced during the fight with the champ, which is why it's so hard. So yes, the Roamers are regenerated, but Route 7 is your best option if you want IVs + PID (shiny, nature, etc).

Since IVs and PIDs are no longer linked this gen, you can advance the IV frame without messing with anything about the PID (so PID frame 100 would still be identical if you advanced the IV frame). It's the same reason as why you can advance the PID frame to get a different nature/etc while still getting the same IVs.

From the OP:

Iirc the IV frame is constantly advanced during the fight with the champ, which is why it's so hard. So yes, the Roamers are regenerated, but Route 7 is your best option if you want IVs + PID (shiny, nature, etc).

Since IVs and PIDs are no longer linked this gen, you can advance the IV frame without messing with anything about the PID (so PID frame 100 would still be identical if you advanced the IV frame). It's the same reason as why you can advance the PID frame to get a different nature/etc while still getting the same IVs.
Can't believe I missed that info in the OP. Thank you.

Finally I'm not the only one who has this problem lol.
Fortunately, the solution is actually pretty easy - if what SF said to try doesn't work, then do this.
I made a post a few years ago detailing how to do this for gen 4, but it's also applicable here.
Basically, you put the first 4 digits of your target seed into the top row of this spreadsheet, and the first 4 digits of the seed you actually get into the second row. Then it does some magic and you try using the seed it calculates + the last 4 digits of your old seed as your target seed in the time finder. If everything goes right, you should hit your original intended target seed!
Thanks! I have now a perfect adamant Spinda with SP! :D

Btw did you have a method to find the ram watches for EU XD Gale of Darkness? I saw your post on youtube but I didn't understood it exactly.

Hello, I would be very grateful for some help. I am very new to RNGing, I have managed to catch a few dittos with perfect IVs in Heartgold and I'm now trying to RNG breed for a pokemon with perfect IVs and jolly nature on White 1, which I'm finding a lot harder and more confusing. Parent 1 is a jolly female Gible with Everstone, parent 2 is a ditto with perfect IVs.

Target seed is FF8CE087EFA48BE2 and frame is 78 (starting frame 53), PID is 5B507518. As far as I can tell RNG Reporter doesn't indicate the delay of a seed when you're trying to RNG on gen 5. The MAC Adress of my DS lite is 2331BC4B7C. When I calibrated my DS to set up a profile in RNG reporter, I repeated that proess where you catch a pokémon with sweet scent right after loading the game about 10 times. I had a strong tendency to hit 2 different seeds (or delays or whatever). I always caught either a naive delibird or a modest piloswine with the same IVs. I just went with the one that I personally felt I was gonna have an easier time hitting.

I can never get it right for some reason. I mash the X button right after loading the game to make sure the pokemon in the day care don't take too many steps but I can never really work out what frame I'm on when I switch between my two Chatots, thus I conclude I didn't hit the right seed. When I receive and hatch the egg, the Gible that hatches is never even one on the list that I have in the main window of RNG reporter. Am I doing something wrong or is RNG abusing for eggs just very hard on gen 5? Is there a way to work out what seed or delay I'm actually hitting?

I'm using RNG Reporter 10.3.4

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Unlike Gen 4, there aren't delays that you have to worry about, which is why nothing shows up in the RNGR. The Timer0 (one of your DS parameters) tends to fluctuate quite a bit, causing you to hit the different seeds, and quite possibly to not find any results. If it's your Timer0 trolling you, the only thing you can do is try again.

Your process seems about right. You can try to check what seed you hit by using the Adjacent Seed Tool under the 5th Gen tools, and choosing the Eggs method (the date/time is the date/time of your seed). Things to try/check: Are you starting your game at the right date/time (for a DS lite, you'll likely need to start your game 1 second before the seed time)? Are you using international parents (Masuda Method)? Shiny Charm (don't if you can help it, but idk if it was ever fully implemented)? If you right click in the main window, you can have it fill in the IVs based on your seed and parents if you choose Display Parents in Search. That might help you find the seed you hit if you haven't done so already. What IVs are you actually getting? I'd be happy to double-check your settings if you upload a screenshot as well. If absolutely nothing seems to work, you can try to hit a different seed.

And just for the sake of clarity, the Pokemon in the daycare don't affect the PID frame, since their movements are fixed (it's some of the NPCs on the route you need to worry about, and which is why you mash X). You can use the Pokemon as a way to verify your seed though, since they'll start in the same position every time if you hit the same seed.

Thanks for your reply.

You can try to check what seed you hit by using the Adjacent Seed Tool under the 5th Gen tools, and choosing the Eggs method (the date/time is the date/time of your seed).
I find the Adjacent Seed Tool a bit confusing. First of all, it says I should immediately capture a pokemon right after receiving an egg to see what seed I've hit and it says that the pokemon I then catch will be on frame 14-20, but I thought my starting frame was 53? Are the frames that you use for breeding different frames?
So what I'm supposed to do is start my game at the seed time, then just receive the egg as quick as possible, then catch a pokémon as quick as possible, calculate its IVs and that can give me an indication of what seed I hit? I've tried this twice now, on the first try, the pokemon's IVs didn't seem to fit any of the frames that came up in the adjacent seed tool and on the second try, I did get one that seemed to fit frame 18 on the very seed I'm trying to hit. Then again, pokemon from the grass next to the day-care are very low level and I only have 11 rare candies to level them up right now. I'm gonna try it a few more times and see what happens.

Things to try/check: Are you starting your game at the right date/time (for a DS lite, you'll likely need to start your game 1 second before the seed time)?
My Eon Timer is already set to -95 (default) next to calibration and it knows I'm using a DS under settings. Isn't that right?

Are you using international parents (Masuda Method)? Shiny Charm (don't if you can help it, but idk if it was ever fully implemented)?
I am not using international parents and I don't have a shiny charm. I'm not trying to get a shiny, just an egg with a jolly Gible with perfect IVs.

If you right click in the main window, you can have it fill in the IVs based on your seed and parents if you choose Display Parents in Search. That might help you find the seed you hit if you haven't done so already. What IVs are you actually getting?
Well, I'm not entirely sure the "Display Parents in Search" option is that helpful to me largely because I only know the IVs of one of my parents. The ditto I'm using has perfect IVs for every stat. The female jolly Gible with Everstone has flawless speed but I don't know the other IVs. By default though, RNG Reporter tells you what parent the IVs are being inherited from and what nature the pokemon from a particular frame has. From that information alone, I always know I'm definitely doing something wrong, because the actual Gible that hatches from the egg is never even one on the list in the main window.

The IVs that I get are always different since I can't even figure where I'm at.

I'd be happy to double-check your settings if you upload a screenshot as well.
Gonna send you a PM.

EDIT: Nvm, I've managed to do it. The Adjacent Seed Tool really helped, as it showed me what I'm actually doing.

Last edited:
Can someone please give me the delay,frame,time,etc for this shiny egg from Cynthia my TID is 25159 SID 41656 i'm looking for a Timid with Serene Grace.I heard you can't do it on the PPRNG for the mac so i need someone's help.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Can someone please give me the delay,frame,time,etc for this shiny egg from Cynthia my TID is 25159 SID 41656 i'm looking for a Timid with Serene Grace.I heard you can't do it on the PPRNG for the mac so i need someone's help.
Non-gen 5 questions here please. Cynthia's Togepi is a Method 1 spread, so PPRNG shouldn't have a problem with it. Regardless, see attached screenshots for a shiny seed (though you're really gonna have a hard time hitting it without a way to search yourself).

1541879643014.png

1541879668010.png

Btw, Welcome to Smogon!

I'm using RNG Reporter 10.3.4 and I don't quite understand how to use it to RNG abuse wild pokémon on BW (I want to use it for White1). Under the capture tab, I basically pick the IVs and nature that I want the pokémon to have, look for a spread and find one but how am I supposed to know what frame it is on? It always just says 1 in the frame column.

I watch this guy's videos here to learn to RNG abuse. While I've generally found them to be very helpful especially for the 4th gen, 5th gen still has a lot of things that are unclear to me though.

I've attached my setup if you want to know exactly what I'm doing - How am I supposed to know what the frame of the selected spread is once I go to the main window and paste the seed etc? Frame 1 can't be right, since I'm starting at frame 48 after calculating initial PIDRNG frame. Also, why does the guy in the video pick the "IVs (Standard Seed)" option for the method in the capture tab of the time finder but then he chooses "Gen 5 PIDRNG" for the method in the main window of RNG Reporter? Is that actually how it's supposed to be done? Also it doesn't even say what nature the pokémon will have and whether I need to use synchronize or not.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
I'm using RNG Reporter 10.3.4 and I don't quite understand how to use it to RNG abuse wild pokémon on BW (I want to use it for White1). Under the capture tab, I basically pick the IVs and nature that I want the pokémon to have, look for a spread and find one but how am I supposed to know what frame it is on? It always just says 1 in the frame column.

I watch this guy's videos here to learn to RNG abuse. While I've generally found them to be very helpful especially for the 4th gen, 5th gen still has a lot of things that are unclear to me though.

I've attached my setup if you want to know exactly what I'm doing - How am I supposed to know what the frame of the selected spread is once I go to the main window and paste the seed etc? Frame 1 can't be right, since I'm starting at frame 48 after calculating initial PIDRNG frame. Also, why does the guy in the video pick the "IVs (Standard Seed)" option for the method in the capture tab of the time finder but then he chooses "Gen 5 PIDRNG" for the method in the main window of RNG Reporter? Is that actually how it's supposed to be done? Also it doesn't even say what nature the pokémon will have and whether I need to use synchronize or not.
This is why I hate video guides, they very rarely explain everything you need to know...

I'd much rather recommend something like Titan's Guide to Gen 5 RNG (found here, along with a whole host of other great guides for all generations), and reading through that will help to explain your problem.

I don't have time to watch the Blisy video right now, but based on what you've put I think I can still help. In Gen 5, there are two different types of Frame - IV Frame and PID Frame. The Frame you specify in the Time Finder (Where you've set both to 1) is only the IV Frame, and unless you're doing a rather complex RNG (entralink or Dream Radar) it's recommended you keep both at 1. The PID Frame works independently of the IV Frame, and is what you advance with Chatots.
When you search you seed in the main window, the reason it doesn't show IVs is because they're determined by the IV Frame, and you're only searching for PIDRNG Frame. So Run a search with your seed, find a frame with the nature and encounter slot you like (make sure you put the right Synch and Encounter Type settings) and then simply advance to that point - if you hit your IV Spread but not your nature/encounter slot, then you did the wrong number of Chatots. If you don't hit your IVs then you hit the wrong starting seed, probably because of timer0. If any of this is unclear then check out titan's guide :)

Thanks for your reply. OK, another question: I'm currently trying to RNG abuse for an ID that can give me jolly natured stationary pokémon with perfect IVs. In the Pandora's box, I type in the PID that I want shiny, but when I type the results (the ID/SID combinations that come up) into the main window, that PID is never shiny. What am I doing wrong?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks for your reply. OK, another question: I'm currently trying to RNG abuse for an ID that can give me jolly natured stationary pokémon with perfect IVs. In the Pandora's box, I type in the PID that I want shiny, but when I type the results (the ID/SID combinations that come up) into the main window, that PID is never shiny. What am I doing wrong?
Use the seed/ PID frame of your target rather than the PID when searching in Pandora's box. Also, Pandora's box searches as if the frame you enter is for a Gift Pokemon encounter method. Since you're after a stationary, add 1 to your target frame in the main window before entering it into Pandora's box. Let's say your Jolly frame is on PID frame 50 in the main window for a stationary encounter. In Pandora's box, search based on your seed and a frame of 51. Then pick some IDs and double-check your work by entering it into the main window.

Thanks for all your help so far. I've got another question: Are the ID/SID combinations that cause an egg to be shiny the same in BW2 as they are in BW1? In other words: I know that RNG breeding doesn't work in BW2, but if I know my ID/SID on Black2, is it possible for me to RNG an egg on White 1 that will be shiny when I trade it to and hatch it on Black2?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks for all your help so far. I've got another question: Are the ID/SID combinations that cause an egg to be shiny the same in BW2 as they are in BW1? In other words: I know that RNG breeding doesn't work in BW2, but if I know my ID/SID on Black2, is it possible for me to RNG an egg on White 1 that will be shiny when I trade it to and hatch it on Black2?
Yes! RNG the egg as normal on your BW game, but use your BW2 IDs when searching for a seed/frame. RNG and collect the egg, and it should hatch shiny on your BW2 cart.

Thanks again. I'm now trying to do my DS parameter calibration for White2 but having issues with that. I've already done it with Black2 and it wasn't that difficult. After about 20 tries, there was one timer0 that I was clearly hitting more often than the others and I've already managed to RNG a hidden grotto pokémon on it just fine. On White2 now however, it's a real pain for some reason. After about 40 tries, I have about 11 different possibilities, of which there are 7 that I hit at least 3 times and 4 that I hit only once. I hit the same second every single time so that's not the issue. Also, is it possible for one timer0 value to give you pokémon with different natures? I'm using kyurem for the calibration and I've caught a quiet one 8 times and that was 10E9, but I've also caught a timid one 3 times hitting the same timer0 and the same second... Very confused about that.

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Thanks again. I'm now trying to do my DS parameter calibration for White2 but having issues with that. I've already done it with Black2 and it wasn't that difficult. After about 20 tries, there was one timer0 that I was clearly hitting more often than the others and I've already managed to RNG a hidden grotto pokémon on it just fine. On White2 now however, it's a real pain for some reason. After about 40 tries, I have about 11 different possibilities, of which there are 7 that I hit at least 3 times and 4 that I hit only once. I hit the same second every single time so that's not the issue. Also, is it possible for one timer0 value to give you pokémon with different natures? I'm using kyurem for the calibration and I've caught a quiet one 8 times and that was 10E9, but I've always caught a timid one 3 times hitting the same timer0 and the same second... Very confused about that.
The Kyurem in BW2 is in a noisy area, meaning that there will be random unpredictable unexpected pidrng frame advances, which would indeed lead to this. As for timer0, that's just the way it is unfortunately - there are no common ones in BW2 (and if there are you're extremely lucky), so you'll just have to roll with the punches, using chatot pitches or similar to confirm your seed.

The Kyurem in BW2 is in a noisy area, meaning that there will be random unpredictable unexpected pidrng frame advances, which would indeed lead to this.
But shouldn't the IVs be the same then? That isn't the case. In the DS parameter finder, I can see that the Vcount is different and I'm hitting a different seed even though I'm hitting the same timer0. What does that mean and what should I really do about this? Should I count those two calibrations as 2 different possibilities or as the same?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
But shouldn't the IVs be the same then? That isn't the case. In the DS parameter finder, I can see that the Vcount is different and I'm hitting a different seed even though I'm hitting the same timer0. What does that mean and what should I really do about this? Should I count those two calibrations as 2 different possibilities or as the same?
Yes, the IVs should be the same if you hit the same seed. The date/time/GxStat/Timer0/Vcount/Vframe all go into determining what seed you hit in your game (the latter 4 are lumped together and called your "DS parameters"). If any of those change, you'll hit a different seed and thus get different IVs (and similarly, nature). The point of calibrating is to find your most common DS parameters so that you minimize the number of failed attempts you get from fluctuations. You really can't do anything about the fluctuations, and just have to keep trying when things go awry. The Timer0 is the most common thing to fluctuate, though it's possible for the Vcount to change too (it's much less common on an original DS or DS lite iirc, so you could try using that instead if you have access to one).

To answer your question, it means your Vcount happened to fluctuate on that attempt, causing you to hit a different seed and get a different result. So it counts as 2 different possibilities. Now, based on your previous comment that lego responded to, it sounds like 1 Vcount is about twice as common as the other. Personally I would ignore that second one and only use the Vcount that gave you that Quiet Kyurem 8 times to enter into your profile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)