Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

I know Drifblim is the heart and soul of your team but I feel you should switch it for another ghost type.

I recommend Dragapult:
- The ability Infiltrator ignores screens
- Ghost typing threatens Cresselia.
- Max Phantasm drops Def, so Lando or Cinderance can sit at the back and revenge kill the mon.
- Learns screens itself, so you can be a screens lead for your own dynamax sweepers
- Learns will-o-wisp and thunder wave so can also run support sets
- Runs a number of sets so can have an element of surprise, the opponent has to guess if it physical or special, support or sweeper.

Other strategies for screens:
1. Set up against it. Most screens mons are passive. A mon like Grimm can't really hurt your lando so you can set up a number of swords dance against it.
2. Stall them out with fat defensive mons. Sub + recovery is a really good strat. Example:
Mimikyu @ Salac Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Curse
- Pain Split
- Play Rough
(12 HP means salac is acitvated after three subsitutes. Disguise allow you to take at least one hit so you can easily waste your opponents max with this mon and sweep them with your own max)
3. Avoid activating weakness policy with super effective damage against sweepers unless you are certain of a KO.

DerpySuX

its hard to breathe but thats alright
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Screens are a big part of the meta, and I hate them. Is Bisharp at all vaible? I was thinking about it, and it seems to invalidate Grimmsnarl thanks to Brick Break, 4x Dark resist, and Defiant. Vs. Klefki you have a steel resistance and even if it runs fairy w/ Steel Beam Bisharp is neutral to that. And it fulfills my semi-requirement of a Dark type to beat Cresselia. That said its stats aren't very good.

My team is Drifblim(Sap/Wisp,) AV Koko, WP Landog, Phys Def Fini, and sash Cinderace. I got swept easily by 2 people using Screens and set up so I need a new 6th mon. One of them used a regular WP Togekiss, the other was oddly BD Slowbro-G. But it seems like any old set up w/ screens gets me, even that weird one that's probably no good in the meta overall.

I know I've asked about screens before...they really bother me. Setting my own screens requires me to have more set up to keep up w/ theirs(Landog has SD but they'll probably be +2 Atk/SpA by the time that switches in, then Airstream on my SD which might kill and if not they'll be faster and 2hko.) And I'm not fond of set-up at all. Ditto maybe works? If I set my own screens and copy their boosts then I'm at an advantage. But Ditto is so bad in Dynamax wars w/ its HP.

Grimmsnarl is the premier screener, so Psychic Fangs are out. Brick Break is good, if I finish Grimm w. it it won't matter that Togekiss 4x resists because the screens will be done. Someone suggested Excadrill for my team which is at least good vs. Togekiss as far as I know, but there's the Cresselia issue. So it should be a Dark type w/ Brick Break which harkens back to the original thought of Bisharp, ofc. Taunt doesn't really stop screens these days w/ Dark type Grimm, and non-Prankster Taunt means they set up at least 1 screen. Mr.Mime-g, as much as I like it, is too limited vs. non-screens and dubious vs. Cress(it can Encore Sub but there's Dynamax, and if I Encore CM it can prolly stall me out w/ Lefties.) I don't really remember other options for screens besides my own, Taunt(meh,) and Brick Break/PF, and I can't dig up the old post there's too many. I anyone has a 6th mon suggestion for Screens and Cress that'd be great. Preferrably something I can get myself though, I chose water Urshifu and now cannot get Dark w/o trading.

EDIT: Searched darks w. BB on Showdown, Grimmsnarl itself is there. Is that good, setting my own screens and denying theirs?

Also I remembered another screens counter, a fat mon to waste turns. That pretty much just means Chansey, and ofc only vs. special sweepers. But that's mainly what uses screens, WP Airstreamers. Should I use a SpD Chansey? Total set up bait for Cresselia though, regardless of Chansey's set.
Screens shouldn’t really be a big issue to a well built team. The best way to counter a screens lead is to limit the setter or the abusers in some way. This can be in the form of tricking the setter a choice item, which both locks them into their screening move and lessens the duration of said screens. Simply boosting up as they set screens, as screens won’t save you from, say, a +4 attack Lando/Garchomp, or simply cripple the sweepers. Burn, sleep, and Paralysis are all great options to hinder sweepers from getting too far. Pokémon like Porygon2, Hippowdon, Toxapex, and Ferrothorn are excellent at wasting screens turns, and Ferrothorn can directly threaten Grimmsnarl with gyro ball, where Toxapex is able to easily spread burns with Scald. Hippowdon can stop almost any physical sweeper in it’s tracks with Yawn or Whirlwind as well. A good, well built defensive core is more than capable of wasting screens turns, and then enabling your own sweeper to retaliate once they are gone.

Ok I'll try boosting more w/ Landog I hardly use SD though it has it. Aside from that and Cinderace I tend to gravitate away from the more common mons you mention so I guess it's no wonder I have trouble w/ screens. I'll use P2 like recommended in my RMT if I start to lose more than I win, rn it's 15-9 so I'm ok.

I've returned to this game again and I just wanna give a shoutout to (read: braindump on) my chunky lad, Appletun.

Oh yes, it's Apple Channel time.

Appletun is the only Pokémon who not only resists Fire with Thick Fat, but also resists Ground, and 4x resists Water, Grass, and Electric. These are all very common offensive coverage options when trying to achieve neutral coverage. That just leaves its six weaknesses to Ice, Bug, Flying, Poison, Fairy, and Dragon to think about. Heatran immediately comes to mind, and it definitely compliments Appletun's ability to soak up Water and Ground moves like it's nothing, but... BuluTran not only covers each other's weaknesses perfectly, Bulu also neuters Earthquake AND provides passive recovery for the whole team. Its role compression, needless to say, is unmatched on balance/stall. So, rather than keep up with the Joneses, we must accept that we need to patch up the Fighting weakess with the rest of the team, and take a look at what Appletun DOES have.

The biggest elephant in the room is, of course, Recover; Ferro and Bulu have to make do with nickels and dimes in the form of Leech Seed, Horn Leech, Lefties, and Grassy Terrain, but Appletun can get 50% back on top of using Leech Seed. As well as this, like every bulky Grass type under the sun (EXCEPT FERROTHORN), Appletun learns Reflect and Light Screen. You can run one of these moves to help support the team. It also sports Iron Defense + Body Press, although you won't be hitting as hard as Ferro. Other, more fringe moves, include Body Slam (para is a very good status), Recycle (For making the most out of a type berry), and Curse/Sucker Punch (To be a weird diet Ferrothorn with priority). Perhaps the most stand-out option besides Recover would be Apple Acid. Maybe 0.1% of Ferrothorns might carry Acid Spray to let its teammates dab on walls, but Appletun and Apple Acid have enough power to be something more substantial. It's multi-faceted in that it not only lets Appletun take on bulky grounds, but also allows it to accumulate stat drops on very bulky mons, giving it a better chance of breaking through, or letting its teammates take advantage.

Appletun @ Coba Berry / Sitrus Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense / Reflect
- Body Press / Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Apple Acid

Alternative Spreads: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD, 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD

I found these set and spreads from Nouthuca. It's just one guy, wind_road, out somewhere in Japan, using Appletun. He opts for a mixed wall spread for making sure the MU vs. Rotom is completely one-sided, but I think 252/252/4 should work fine. I've slashed Reflect and Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor on this set because Iron Defense and Reflect accomplish the goal of providing more physical bulk, and if you choose to run Reflect, that frees up a slot for Dragon Pulse/Draco. This spread is fine, but I think abusing Appletun's reliable recovery on top of Leech Seed is also a good idea, even if you're pairing it with Ferrothorn.

Appletun @ Coba Berry / Sitrus Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Apple Acid

This set is passive to a fault. You could run Modest and invest some EVs in SpA to have Appletun pack a little more punch, but then you miss out on the bulk it needs to stand up to its competitors.

Ripen's best use cases are type berries, and Jaboca/Rowap. IMO, cycling Recycle/Recover to get the most out of Ripen is extremely high maintenance for a low payoff. Appletun's already extremely slow - it really doesn't need Taunt and Knock Off to be its worst enemies. Thick Fat, 99% of the time, is the most consistent ability. But what the hell, this is an Appletun appreciation post, let's experiment anyways.

Appletun @ Rowap Berry
Ability: Ripen
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Apple Acid
- Recover
- Recycle

Appletun @ Jaboca Berry
Ability: Ripen
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Apple Acid
- Recover
- Recycle

Being able to do 40% in chip by doing absolutely nothing is definitely something that Appletun's competitors can't do. Nature's Madness might shave off 50%, but it's not able to wear down the opponent at nearly the same rate. These sets are something that my Japanese Appletun peer would not have had access to before CT meta, and so, I might have to play about with these sets before making further comments. At the moment, I still believe Thick Fat, on average, has a more significant impact on a game's outcome by allowing Appletun to comfortably switch in and sponge Fire moves.

I run the first set on a team you can find here: https://pokepast.es/8ad8bd1637ec457b. I put it together and felt like I was really onto something. Giving Appletun Rocky Helmet and replacing Ferro's item with Occa Berry is definitely something to consider. Coba may be replaced with Yache to let my teammates do the heavy lifting vs. Max Airstream sweepers. Because this isn't an RMT, I'll describe the team in bullet points.

• What would otherwise be a stall team foregoes popular staples - Chasnsey, and Toxapex - and tries a different, more balanced approach.
  • TWO stallbreakers that break through different means - Heatran shuts down setup and traps via Magma Storm to give teammates an initiative. Tapu Fini uses Nature's Madness to cut down walls that it otherwise couldn't break without setting up, and attempts to win via setting up with CM. I opt for Draining Kiss over Moonblast because of Wiki berry, I feel like Draining Kiss lets Fini stick around for a lot longer. I run Scald specifically to target Landorus.
  • Quagsire tries to set up proactively to weather the storm that is Dynamax Dracozolt. This slot used to be taken up by Ferrothorn, and I think the standard set with Rocky Helmet could fit in over Quag, but it depends on whether you want a slightly more reliable stop-gap to setup sweepers, or a bulkier wall that has the the potential to create a huge impact with Rocks, thanks to Heatran and Glowking.
  • Appletun is really good at leveraging certain MUs in your favour as described in this team post: https://a45188091.hatenadiary.com/entry/2020/02/01/220330. (obviously jobs to cinderace now that it has libero but a lot these mons are still popular). With prior reconnaissance, Appletun completely denies Water/Grounds, Snorlax, Excadrill, Rhyperior, Dracovish, AND Rotoms Heat, Wash, and Mow. With Haban + Dmax, at full health it can take Max Wyrmwind from LO Dracozolt and do 80/90% with its own.
  • Eerie Pressure Zapdos is the answer to Zapdos, any Urshifu without Ice Punch, and helps to play around Cinderace.
  • Glowking plays its role as a special sponge, but it also supports the team by forcing switches with Future Sight/Yawn. I think Future Sight is a heavily underutilised move in 3v3, because it doesn't seem very proactive nor a good use of tempo, but I've had a lot of success this season and pre-restricted format when laddering with Glowking.

TL;DR At a glance, Appletun looks very underwhelming and very outclassed - It finds itself in an extremely hostile environment, and undeniably is outclassed in role compression and stats by Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu. Despite this, with the right teammates, I think Appletun can stand out, and make its fair share of contributions to the team in places where its competition might struggle, and in some cases, even compete on their level.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Screens are a big part of the meta, and I hate them. Is Bisharp at all vaible? I was thinking about it, and it seems to invalidate Grimmsnarl thanks to Brick Break, 4x Dark resist, and Defiant. Vs. Klefki you have a steel resistance and even if it runs fairy w/ Steel Beam Bisharp is neutral to that. And it fulfills my semi-requirement of a Dark type to beat Cresselia. That said its stats aren't very good.

My team is Drifblim(Sap/Wisp,) AV Koko, WP Landog, Phys Def Fini, and sash Cinderace. I got swept easily by 2 people using Screens and set up so I need a new 6th mon. One of them used a regular WP Togekiss, the other was oddly BD Slowbro-G. But it seems like any old set up w/ screens gets me, even that weird one that's probably no good in the meta overall.

I know I've asked about screens before...they really bother me. Setting my own screens requires me to have more set up to keep up w/ theirs(Landog has SD but they'll probably be +2 Atk/SpA by the time that switches in, then Airstream on my SD which might kill and if not they'll be faster and 2hko.) And I'm not fond of set-up at all. Ditto maybe works? If I set my own screens and copy their boosts then I'm at an advantage. But Ditto is so bad in Dynamax wars w/ its HP.

Grimmsnarl is the premier screener, so Psychic Fangs are out. Brick Break is good, if I finish Grimm w. it it won't matter that Togekiss 4x resists because the screens will be done. Someone suggested Excadrill for my team which is at least good vs. Togekiss as far as I know, but there's the Cresselia issue. So it should be a Dark type w/ Brick Break which harkens back to the original thought of Bisharp, ofc. Taunt doesn't really stop screens these days w/ Dark type Grimm, and non-Prankster Taunt means they set up at least 1 screen. Mr.Mime-g, as much as I like it, is too limited vs. non-screens and dubious vs. Cress(it can Encore Sub but there's Dynamax, and if I Encore CM it can prolly stall me out w/ Lefties.) I don't really remember other options for screens besides my own, Taunt(meh,) and Brick Break/PF, and I can't dig up the old post there's too many. I anyone has a 6th mon suggestion for Screens and Cress that'd be great. Preferrably something I can get myself though, I chose water Urshifu and now cannot get Dark w/o trading.

EDIT: Searched darks w. BB on Showdown, Grimmsnarl itself is there. Is that good, setting my own screens and denying theirs?

Also I remembered another screens counter, a fat mon to waste turns. That pretty much just means Chansey, and ofc only vs. special sweepers. But that's mainly what uses screens, WP Airstreamers. Should I use a SpD Chansey? Total set up bait for Cresselia though, regardless of Chansey's set.
You’re thinking too hard about this. Just use an Urshifu. Crit through those screens.

Substitute Mimikyu is also a great way of stalling out screens turns (or opposing Dynamax from everything except Gmax Cinderace or Mold Breaker Excadrill. You can pair this with Curse to annoy their sweeper, and/or Pain Split for longevity (though I prefer just a health berry).

Unaware Clefable is pretty decent at outlasting setup under screens by setting up its own Calm Mind / Cosmic Power / Kee Berry. Again, just watch out for Cinderace and Excadrill, and Stored Power’s base power getting too high on Cresselia if it’s been passed a lot of boosts from something like Weakness Policy Blaziken.

As for a bad suggestion, there was a specific tournament matchup I was preparing for last year where I knew my opponent liked to use screens Dragapult and then try to win with SD Airstream Rillaboom, so I used Gmax Corviknight to wall that and remove the screens in one go with Gmax Windrage. However, Max Airstream is an infinitely better move and Corviknight isn’t the best use of your Max anyway.

I'd like to softly point out that many SwSh analysees are missing Team Options, as well as many SuMo analysees, I'm guessing its not as obvious in SuMo? Because some of the bullet-points technically have them? But I think it would be simple to add type core at least, like generally recommending Fighting, Dark, and Psychic types together.

I know Drifblim is the heart and soul of your team but I feel you should switch it for another ghost type.

I recommend Dragapult:
- The ability Infiltrator ignores screens
- Ghost typing threatens Cresselia.
- Max Phantasm drops Def, so Lando or Cinderance can sit at the back and revenge kill the mon.
- Learns screens itself, so you can be a screens lead for your own dynamax sweepers
- Learns will-o-wisp and thunder wave so can also run support sets
- Runs a number of sets so can have an element of surprise, the opponent has to guess if it physical or special, support or sweeper.

Other strategies for screens:
1. Set up against it. Most screens mons are passive. A mon like Grimm can't really hurt your lando so you can set up a number of swords dance against it.
2. Stall them out with fat defensive mons. Sub + recovery is a really good strat. Example:
Mimikyu @ Salac Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Curse
- Pain Split
- Play Rough
(12 HP means salac is acitvated after three subsitutes. Disguise allow you to take at least one hit so you can easily waste your opponents max with this mon and sweep them with your own max)
3. Avoid activating weakness policy with super effective damage against sweepers unless you are certain of a KO.
Thx for thinking of me. That's reasonable, but I'm not fed up w/ Drifblim yet. Though it is sad to be a ghost that can't touch Cresselia. But I haven't seen any in a while at least. I might replace Bisharp for Mimikyu though, since it can stall out Screens and curse the sweepers rather than breaking screens. Is Phantom Force for stalling it w/ sub too too much? There's a lot of ways to go w/ Mimikyu. Bisharp can't threaten Cresselia cause of 4MSS(it basically needs Metal Burst, Iron Head, Sucker Punch<not a Dark STAB for CResselia battles because Landog gives Defiant boost and is faster,> and Brick Break to break screens or else why do I want it in the 1st place. It has the best match-up vs. Grimmsnarl.)

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Thx for thinking of me. That's reasonable, but I'm not fed up w/ Drifblim yet. Though it is sad to be a ghost that can't touch Cresselia. But I haven't seen any in a while at least. I might replace Bisharp for Mimikyu though, since it can stall out Screens and curse the sweepers rather than breaking screens. Is Phantom Force for stalling it w/ sub too too much? There's a lot of ways to go w/ Mimikyu. Bisharp can't threaten Cresselia cause of 4MSS(it basically needs Metal Burst, Iron Head, Sucker Punch<not a Dark STAB for CResselia battles because Landog gives Defiant boost and is faster,> and Brick Break to break screens or else why do I want it in the 1st place. It has the best match-up vs. Grimmsnarl.)
I mean like Can’t Say said, Urshifu can crit through screens. You could just run him. SS is great for breaking past ghosts and such, while RS destroys Lando with surging strikes. Oh and SS also destroys Cresselia so yeet
Or just slap a Zapdos on your team because Zapdos is literally perfect in every way lmao

The issue I have w/ Urshifu, besides the fact I can't get SS in game, I went tower of waters, is Zapdos. Ofc, Bisharp is no good vs. Zapdos(well better of sash Metal Burst is intact,) so as a replacement for that it could work.

I've actually never used Zapdos. It'd have to be over Koko if I stoop to that level lol. But I'm quite weak to SR already.

Mimikyu is very versatile. It can run a number of sets depending on what your team needs.

Bulky Swords Dance with kee Berry is rising in popularity.

Phantom force is mainly used to waste a dynamax turn of your opponent on sets that run it.

I like running running Drain Punch over phantom force on bulky set up mim. Let's you beat P2 and Ferro. (Moves are Swords Dance, play rough, drain punch and shadow sneak).

I like the idea of Drain Punch. I'm maybe a little weak to P2, not a lot I think but it'd help. But your previous Salac Mimikyu seems good too, and cant say suggested HP berry(Sitrus is taken so maybe Pinch, works w/ sub...) If I use Mimikyu it will be primarily to stall out Dynamax turns and screens turns, so it'd go in over Bisharp who breaks screens but does not waste Dynamax. For both these roles it should have Sub and Curse, I believe. Then they all go Shadow Sneak pretty much, though mono-attacking SS w/ SD sounds horrible and unboosted it's just too weak.

So I'm partial towards no Shadow Sneak, Is that even viable or do I have to re-think sub and Curse and just pick one? The 1st suggested Mimikyu has both so that implies it's ok. If no SS what about Phantom Force and Play Rough, or even no Atk EVs and go WoW>Play Rough?

Last edited:
I like the idea of Drain Punch. I'm maybe a little weak to P2, not a lot I think but it'd help. But your previous Salac Mimikyu seems good too, and cant say suggested HP berry(Sitrus is taken so maybe Pinch, works w/ sub...) If I use Mimikyu it will be primarily to stall out Dynamax turns and screens turns, so it'd go in over Bisharp who breaks screens but does not waste Dynamax. For both these roles it should have Sub and Curse, I believe. Then they all go Shadow Sneak pretty much, though mono-attacking SS w/ SD sounds horrible and unboosted it's just too weak.

So I'm partial towards no Shadow Sneak, Is that even viable or do I have to re-think sub and Curse and just pick one? The 1st suggested Mimikyu has both so that implies it's ok. If no SS what about Phantom Force and Play Rough, or even no Atk EVs and go WoW>Play Rough?
As I said Mimi is versatile, you can use it as support or sweeper (max or outside max). Experiment on the showdown ladder with different sets and see which one fits best on your team.

I prefer to run Salac but that is my personal preference. This lets you outspeed Urshifu and Pult at +1 speed (also some common scarfed mons that will try come in to revenge kill you). I would run an attacking move on the curse set just in case you get tricked or taunted. You also want to use an attacking move when your HP is higher than you opponents after using pain split (normally to get a KO, to prevent recovery and so you can curse the next mon). SS is too weak on this Mimi. Play Rough and Phantom Force can be run in the attacking move slot. Both have weakness and strengths. PF doesn't hit immediately (good or bad depending on the situation. good to waste a dynamax turn but bad if you want to KO a mon with recovery) and doesn't hit normals. Play Rough hits everything for some damage at least but can miss. The choice is yours. I liked some damage so I used Play Rough.

Last edited:
Mimikyu is very versatile. It can run a number of sets depending on what your team needs.

Bulky Swords Dance with kee Berry is rising in popularity.

Phantom force is mainly used to waste a dynamax turn of your opponent on sets that run it.

I like running running Drain Punch over phantom force on bulky set up mim. Let's you beat P2 and Ferro. (Moves are Swords Dance, play rough, drain punch and shadow sneak).
What are the EVs for the bulky set up mimi?

To me, Milotic is a huge threat. I'm wary of Fini, and often scared of Lapras, but among waters Milotic is what I'm most afraid of seeing. Actually maybe not just among waters. Anyways, what's not very weak to Zapdos and beats Milotic? Rilla is out, not thinking it could be Rotom-W or Tapu Koko(in theory Koko does good vs. Zapdos but I rarely had it go my way.) I also have some trouble w/ Excadrill so any electric is tough to use.

To me, Milotic is a huge threat. I'm wary of Fini, and often scared of Lapras, but among waters Milotic is what I'm most afraid of seeing. Actually maybe not just among waters. Anyways, what's not very weak to Zapdos and beats Milotic? Rilla is out, not thinking it could be Rotom-W or Tapu Koko(in theory Koko does good vs. Zapdos but I rarely had it go my way.) I also have some trouble w/ Excadrill so any electric is tough to use.
From experience, a specially defensive-oriented Slowking-Galar with recovery has managed to hold its own vs the likes of Zapdos. I think Milotic might pose more difficulty in the matchup due to Haze (if you're running Nasty Plot or Calm Mind), resulting in a stall fest. I personally have not seen Milotic myself as much as the more common bulky waters Tapu Fini and Suicune. AV Magnezone with Mirror Coat can also take on Zapdos attempting to damage it with Max Flare or Heat Wave.

252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 138-164 (77.9 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And of course, vs Milotic, Magnezone performs well, but also be wary of Mirror Coat.

From experience, a specially defensive-oriented Slowking-Galar with recovery has managed to hold its own vs the likes of Zapdos. I think Milotic might pose more difficulty in the matchup due to Haze (if you're running Nasty Plot or Calm Mind), resulting in a stall fest. I personally have not seen Milotic myself as much as the more common bulky waters Tapu Fini and Suicune. AV Magnezone with Mirror Coat can also take on Zapdos attempting to damage it with Max Flare or Heat Wave.

252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 138-164 (77.9 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And of course, vs Milotic, Magnezone performs well, but also be wary of Mirror Coat.
Thanks, those might not work vs, Exca but they do the main two things so hopefully that improves my team.

Omastar68 What is it about Milotic that gives you problems?
a. no safe switch into its attacks
b. puts everything to sleep after an accuracy boost
c. recover makes it hard to take down

Milotic is not very common (it is not Zapdos or Ace) so I feel you do not need a hard counter for it. It does employ some common strategies used by other pokemon (so you may have issues with other pokemon using the same strat without the same typing). So I think the best way to think about it, is why is it such a problem?
If it is:
a. If you have no safe switch in then you have a big problem with you team's defensive coverage
b. Setup and sleep strats are everywhere. You need to counter setup and sleep.
c. Fat mons with recovery are everywhere too. You need a way to stop fat mons recovering their HP (trick or taunt)

You can't counter everything in this game and sometimes certain combos/match ups are gonna give you fits. There are just too many pokemon to cover. I lost one game getting to master ball rank to a dynamaxing Glaceon of all things (it was partnered with Zone and Togekiss which are all tough match ups for my team. My only Glaceon counter was drawn in by Zone and weakened so it could be revenge killed). Although it was annoying to lose to a sub par pokemon, I am not changing my team because I am not going to see these three mons together in every match and my team matched up well against 95% of the other teams I played. I won every game against Zapdos, Lando, Mimi and Ace though. I guess the point I am trying to make is, you don't have to change you team every time you lose to something (unless you are losing every game to the same mon or strategy).

Last edited:
Well, what Milotic has been doing to me is probably c. It's very fat on the physical side w/ Flame Orb Marvel Scale. I do have TrickScarf Fini but it wasn't doing enough. Heatran, Drifblim, Landorus-T, Darm-G, and sorta Clefable all lose to it so my only play is the TrickScarf, and usually I can't Trick right away so I'll lock into something else and the Milotic switches in and I have to switch out and back in just to Trick, and lose HP doing so.

Thankfully Milotic is not that common. But I have to at least do something to the few I see. I've changed my team a lot due to a suggestion on PS, testing that out now and if that doesn't work I'll try the Magnezone.

I know you said to ditch Drifblim and that was part of the suggestion on PS. I feel fine doing so atm, but I'm a bit concerned about Zacian in S10. Drifblim proved in S8 it can switch in then win/force it out(the latter may be useless admittedly,) but w/o it I feel very weak to Zacian. Or should I use a different legend than Calyrex-Ice w/ Darm-G? I want Darm for Pex, they really get me too.

Judging by your team in your rate my team. I think you really need an electric mon then. It will pressure Milotic and other common bulky waters/steela. A volt switcher can give you a pivot into something else that checks a switch in as well.

Drifblim isn't a reliable counter to Zacian. Most run sub to prevent status (and ditto copying it). It will be able to swords dance behind a sub and then KO Drifblim before you get the speed boost to burn it.

I think for next season you need to pick a restricted mon and build a team around it. What ever you mon you choose is really up to you. I don't think you can have a team and then slap a restricted mon onto it. The building process should be the other way around where you pick a legend and build around it. You could have both Darm and Caly on the same team, but team slots are limited so you wanna make sure they are doing different things (e.g one is lure to remove a threat for another), otherwise you are just wasting a team slot on something doing the same thing.

If you are really worried about Zacian then unaware Quagsire is your friend. Ignores its boosts and curse variants can set up on it.

PM me if you want a HA ability Wooper with egg moves curse and recover and I will breed you one.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have HA Quagsire already trained, I just don't really use it. I'll try an electric, seeing as Landog should be weaker w/o Dynamax. I have Specs Regieleki, or I can attempt to bring back AV Koko since Zapdos can't max either(so it's Roosts aren't faster than my T-bolt.)

EDIT: My AV is taken so it looks like Regieleki is it. What 4th move, since Hyper Beam will not be Max Strike? I was thinking all electric since Ancientpower hits nothing really.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

Thanks. I have HA Quagsire already trained, I just don't really use it. I'll try an electric, seeing as Landog should be weaker w/o Dynamax. I have Specs Regieleki, or I can attempt to bring back AV Koko since Zapdos can't max either(so it's Roosts aren't faster than my T-bolt.)

EDIT: My AV is taken so it looks like Regieleki is it. What 4th move, since Hyper Beam will not be Max Strike? I was thinking all electric since Ancientpower hits nothing really.
Rapid spin might be a good idea for hazard clearing, if regieleki can’t slam everything with tbolt or pivot with volt switch he’s kinda useless so rapid spin could be used to mitigate hazards for something else while he’s walled.

Maybe screens too, if you’re willing to try a non assault vest set, you could run Tbolt, Volt Switch, and screens. Then regieleki could act as either a cleaner or a screener depending on the matchup. Just a few ideas

Last edited:
O ok. It's Specs Regieleki, though I could try a screens one I suppose, to not be locked into nothing. Regieleki was never gonna be AV, to be clear. That's my Tapu Koko, though it still won't deal w/ Yveltal and Specs Regieleki might, However, Regieleki does have an odd spread, 252 SpA/ 228 SpD(for P2, and it's HP isw so much higher than SpD it should be fine imo,)/ 28+Spe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)