3DS/Wii U eShop Shutdown March 27 2023 - Online Services to go offline April 2024 (Bank Excluded)

This was bound to happen at some point, but it is still a bit sad to see. I have barely used either of my 3DS since the release of S/S, but I have some plans to return to them eventually, later this year at the earliest. Other than that, I feel mostly done with 3DS, I have pretty much moved on to Switch at this point. I don't even have a Wii U so no problems there.

I finally got around to buying the Dream Radar last year, just need to play through it as well... As for other games I don't have that are digital-only... I have thought about buying Crystal from the e-shop since the battery for my Crystal cart is dead, and it would be nice to have a functioning copy of my favorite Johto game. Especially one that isn't going to die one day because of the battery failing. Yes, emulators exist and playing it that way is completely free but technically illegal, though I think it gives a much better "feeling" to play games on a real console. But if I end up getting Crystal, when am I going to find the time to actually play through it? I already have so many other things planned for this year. So much to do, so little time. But I still have a year left to make up my mind about it, so that's good.

On a positive note, I am happy to see that Bank usage will continue AND it will be free to use eventually! Personally, I have barely used Bank since the release of S/S (I don't have the Premium version for Home either) but this is great since it means that transferring Pokémon to future generations will still be possible even after the e-shop has closed.

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
Reminder that many important moves for smogon singles, like knock off, are not available as a tm/tr/tutor in any of the Switch titles. While Toxic is a TM and has full compatibility in let's go, it is only for Gen 1 Pokemon, their cross-gen evolutions, and meltan/melmetal. In BDSP it is very restricted.

That also means their is a strict deadline for anyone currently trying to make ribbon master Pokemon in older games.

EDIT: I also realize it would also become impossible to easy obtain obscure older gen moves that suddenly became viable on a Pokemon despite no-one ever using the move on them previously. One such example is Heal Block on Palkia in Gen VII because its Z-move effect, but it could only learn the move in the original Diamond and Pearl and lost it from Platinum onwards.
Actually it still had Heal Block on Platinum. It lost it in HGSS afterwards.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
There's something I want to bring up on this thread, even if this information may or may not be better suited elsewhere. That's because (at least for the 3DS, the Wii U's failure made the "online storefront 10-year policy" a little complicated) such a closure actually still fits in with Nintendo's previous cycle that I wish a lot more people gave Nintendo credit for. Yeah, producers closing down their stores can be bad for game preservation, I couldn't agree more: but things could be worse. If we take a look at this list of years I've compiled (mind you, this is FAR from the full list), you'll be able to see how Nintendo releases their newest emulation service before the shutting down of the previous service on every piece of hardware going as far back as the GameCube's Game Boy Player.

2001: GameCube launch (had issues with the overall Virtual Console system)
2003: "Game Boy Player" launch for GB, GBC, and GBA cartridges (GameCube)
2004: DS launch
2006: Wii launch
2008: DSi launch
2011: 3DS launch (I couldn't find data for when most of its Virtual Console ports "started")
2012: Wii U launch

2013 is where things start to get extremely specific, so try and stay with me here.

2013: NES & SNES Virtual Console (Wii U)
2014: GBA Virtual Console (Wii U)
2015: N64 & DS Virtual Console (Wii U)
2016: SNES Virtual Console ("New" 3DS)
2017: DSi Shop shutdown
September 2018: Nintendo Switch Online launch, with NES games
2019: Wii Shop Channel shutdown
September 2019: SNES games (Switch Online)
September 2021: N64 & Sega Genesis games (Switch Online)
March 2023 (upcoming): 3DS & Wii U eShops shutdown

Unfortunately non-Nintendo hardware is incredibly in-consistent, but as far as Nintendo's previous hardware is concerned, the emulators have always come out before the previous service's discontinuation. Granted, there's a first time for everything (especially when looking at the DS emulation, but that's getting into wish-listing territory), but... I dunno, fellas. A September 2022 launch date for the Game Boy saga (especially after those leaks, this theory was strong even before those came out) is looking more and more likely.

Necroposting this as a reminder that the 3DS & Wii U Eshop closes March 27th

After this point you will no longer be able to purchase any games on there, though if you purchased them in the past you'll still be able to redownload them (which you know kind of seems to me like surely the servers keeping all that going, and updates, would surely be able to maintain the shop, but hey what do i know)..
You can't add funds directly anymore, but you can add them if your 3DS/Wii U account are linked with your Nintendo Account, and then you add funds through the website or the Switch. Since it's all the same wallet.

For Pokemon the most important thing here as a reminder is Bank. Even if you don't plan to do anything with the 3DS Titles any time soon, you should still go ahead and download Bank now, since it's free and it means that even after the shop goes down you can still download it back. More relevantly, Bank will be made free to use by everyone after the closure.

The other caveat to this is Pokemon Transporter, which you can only download through a link through Bank. And you only access that link....provided you've had a Bank pass. I believe they've said somewhere in their FAQ (unless it got updated recently) that once the eshop is closed you can't download it if you didn't already have it. If you had a Bank pass before, but let it lapse, I believe you can still download it? I was able to access the link at least, but I also had Pokemon in the Bank so I was in that menu. Worth looking into it.
So if you for some reason, over the last 8 or so years, never had any interest whatsoever in transferring Pokemon from gen 5 to Bank but suddenly might sometime in the next 8 years uhhhhh. Shell out $5 for a pass, I guess!

It would be funny if in the lead up they just gave everyone a free month so people could download transporter lmao. But don't count on it. Buy it while you can!

An at a glance list of other titles you won't be able to buy after March 27
3DS - Retail:
  • The Mainline titles. X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon
  • Pokemon Rumble Blast
  • Pokemon Art Academy
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity
  • Super Mystery Dungeon
3DS - Digital:
  • Pokemon Bank - Free
  • Pokemon Transporter - Download through Bank, requires having had a Bank Pass at some point.
  • Pokedex 3D - note that I'm not sure you've been able to download this new at all. Was free, though.
  • Pokedex 3D Pro
  • Dream Radar - This was the one that connected to BW2, as a reminder
  • Pokemon Shuffle - Free
    • Will not be able to buy the microtransactions
  • Pokemon Rumble World - Free...?
    • Will not be able to buy the microtransactions (had a cap of how much you could spend)
    • Incidentally this had a full Physical retail release. Not sure how that affected the digital version
  • Pokemon Picross - Free
    • Will not be able to buy the microtransactions (had a cap of how much you could spend)
  • (JP Only) Detective Pikachu Episode 1
3DS - VC:
  • Mainline titles. Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal
  • (JP Only) Green, Japanese Blue
  • Pokemon Puzzle League Challenge
  • Pokemon TCG (the sequel never came to the Japanese VC, seemingly)
  • I thought for sure we got Pinball but I guess not?
Wii U - Retail:
  • Pokken Tournament (had an enhanced Switch port)
    • Will not be able to buy its DLC

Wii U - Digital:
  • Pokemon Rumble U

Wii U - VC:
  • Mystery Dungeon Red
  • Pinball RS
  • Mystery Dungeon Blue
  • Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
    • Explorers of Time and Darkness were never released.
  • Ranger
  • Ranger Shadows of Almia
  • Ranger Guardian Signs
  • Snap
  • PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
And while only tangentially related, you won't be able to buy like...Smash Bros or its DLC either.

e: Reminded myself after writing all this up, but I believe Transporter is also required to move the VC Pokemon to Bank.

Last edited:
regarding Pokemon Bank, if I don't have a pass will I still be able to use it after the Eshop closure?

i had hopes of using it as a means to transfer version-exclusive mons to Pokemon Home so I can complete the Violet pokedex without trading but then I realized that's not available without HOME premium

regarding Pokemon Bank, if I don't have a pass will I still be able to use it after the Eshop closure?

i had hopes of using it as a means to transfer version-exclusive mons to Pokemon Home so I can complete the Violet pokedex without trading but then I realized that's not available without HOME premium
As I said above, it will be made free to everyone.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Dream Radar is not free. I believe it costs 3 USD.
Dream Radar was paid DLC for Black & White 2, change my mind

On an unrelated note, due to not being able to get them anymore, everything obtained specifically from Dream Radar should be banned from Gen 5 competitive now in my opinion (the idea being people who paid for DLC in advance having an unfair advantage over new players)

Dream Radar was paid DLC for Black & White 2, change my mind

On an unrelated note, due to not being able to get them anymore, everything obtained specifically from Dream Radar should be banned from Gen 5 competitive now in my opinion (the idea being people who paid for DLC in advance having an unfair advantage over new players)
If they banned everything that was no longer available significantly more of gen 5 would be banned

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
If they banned everything that was no longer available significantly more of gen 5 would be banned
I definitely agree why this wouldn't justify saying "Hey, let's ban everything that's only accessible via Dream Radar!" Even if such a decision were to be made, this would be a similar, but also very different scenario compared to, say, banning DLC characters in Smash Bros. (in this case, Smash 4).

On one hand, people that want to play Gen 5 competitive with cartridge-accurate gameplay wouldn't have access to those Pokémon unless they paid for this "DLC", thus giving them an unfair advantage over a newer player who may not have ever had the chance to do so. On the other hand, there's enough Pokémon and enough history here to where banning all this stuff would completely change the identity of Gen 5's competitive scene and possibly turn people off of playing due to how drastic the metagame shifts would inevitably be.

Aren’t the only “true” Dream Radar exclusives the Therian Formes + Staryu, Porygon, Bronzor, Beldum, and the Gen 4 mascots with their Hidden Abilities?

Spiritomb with its HA can be obtained on-cart by trading with Curtis/Yancy, and everything else not listed above that you can catch with the Dream Radar can still be bred, so their HAs are still accessible, albeit requiring trades if you’re someone who never had access to the Dream Radar.

(In theory, someone without the Dream Radar could even still obtain the Therian Formes by catching them in their Incarnate Forme in BW, trading them to a friend who does have the Reveal Glass, and then trading them back to a B2W2 cartridge. So while they will become much more tedious to obtain, they’d still technically be accessible to anyone with the right resources.)

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Aren’t the only “true” Dream Radar exclusives the Therian Formes + Staryu, Porygon, Bronzor, Beldum, and the Gen 4 mascots with their Hidden Abilities?

Spiritomb with its HA can be obtained on-cart by trading with Curtis/Yancy, and everything else not listed above that you can catch with the Dream Radar can still be bred, so their HAs are still accessible, albeit requiring trades if you’re someone who never had access to the Dream Radar.

(In theory, someone without the Dream Radar could even still obtain the Therian Formes by catching them in their Incarnate Forme in BW, trading them to a friend who does have the Reveal Glass, and then trading them back to a B2W2 cartridge. So while they will become much more tedious to obtain, they’d still technically be accessible to anyone with the right resources.)
The Therians can't be traded in Gen V, so this wouldn't be possible.

I definitely agree why this wouldn't justify saying "Hey, let's ban everything that's only accessible via Dream Radar!" Even if such a decision were to be made, this would be a similar, but also very different scenario compared to, say, banning DLC characters in Smash Bros. (in this case, Smash 4).

On one hand, people that want to play Gen 5 competitive with cartridge-accurate gameplay wouldn't have access to those Pokémon unless they paid for this "DLC", thus giving them an unfair advantage over a newer player who may not have ever had the chance to do so. On the other hand, there's enough Pokémon and enough history here to where banning all this stuff would completely change the identity of Gen 5's competitive scene and possibly turn people off of playing due to how drastic the metagame shifts would inevitably be.
Hey man, I've noticed you've gotten pretty interested in older gen stuff lately out of passing glances. The enthusiasm is cool and all, but I would seriously recommend taking some time to read and simply absorb the culture of how old gens work and what players are interested in playing. Scarcity and difficulty in how something is to actually obtain hasn't really been a factor in Smogon's singles environments since like gen 2 unbanned Hidden Power legendaries like 15 years ago. Generally, older rulesets want to play what was available within the scope of their generation regardless of how hard it is to actually get, since most play is done by simulator where it's sort of assumed you have access to everything for these older gens anyway.

If you seriously want to argue that Dream Radar exclusive stuff should be barred from Gen 5 competitive because the game is out of circulation... The game itself hasn't been printed in years. It's an expensive retro game at this point. Game availability being an actual factor is a massive can of worms that's incredibly messy to iron out. Getting Dream Radar stuff from a pretty well preserved and mostly still accessible game is honestly on the more lenient end of hard to get relevant things in Gen 5 with things like Wish Chansey and Glaciate Victini existing.

There are formats where pokemon availability is taken into account, namely every VGC format from 2014 on for doubles and most BSS formats since the middle of Gen 6. They require contemporary pokemon from that gen or Pokemon made battle ready by wiping old gen moves. There are legitimate gripes with not having access to the Pokemon you need, but that's taken care of with what's actually being played on cartridges right now. This theoretical environment you're setting up where one player has access to stuff IRL and the other doesn't is just like not applicable. The other player can go and get a 3DS with the game loaded up, or ask someone with the game to send the therians or whatever to their save file, or they can just personally have a discussion about things before hand and maybe rule out any Dream Radar stuff, or they could just play on a simulator like 99.99% of Gen 5 comp play is actually done today.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this ever since the game was first released on the 3DS Virtual Console. Now that the eShop is about to close down, I thought it over one last time, and since I just happened to have exactly the required amount of money left on my account... I decided to just get it.

*opinions may vary
Not sure when (or even if) I will play through it, but now I have it at least. Oddly, I feel like giving it a try just to see if it is a good and bad as I remember it. I won't lie, I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but there are no running shoes and you don't get the bike until Goldenrod and I want to see how it holds up nowadays but there are only 251 Pokémon and many are missing since I won't be able to trade, maybe I can finally go back and complete the two things I always wanted to do but never did in my original copy... or not. The future will tell.

Last edited:
PSA: If you don't download Poke Transporter now in addition to Pokemon Bank, it will be lost forever in one week. This requires a paid pass.

The Japanese support page explicitly says this. Without a paid pass, you can't get into the menu that allows you to start downloading Poke Transporter. If you download only Bank now, you won't get Transporter.

In addition, you can't even attempt to purchase a pass unless your 3DS already has save data for one of the Gen 6/7 main series games. Virtual Console doesn't count, and (I'm pretty sure) the demos don't count either. This is theoretically relevant if you have an empty 3DS that you're trying to get Bank and Transporter onto as quickly as possible. (To get to the main menu to download Transporter, you just need to save the game once; you don't need the Pokedex yet. The Pokedex is only needed for viewing your Bank boxes.)

PSA 2: Not even a hacked 3DS and hacked Switch will fully save you if you lose Bank.

All downloaded copies of Bank and Home have a "purchase" ($0) ID marking them as a valid download from the eShop. If you use a hacked copy, it won't be able to communicate with the servers because it can't provide anything the servers will recognize as a valid past purchase ID.

You can temporarily work around this by sending from a 3DS game to a hacked Bank, then from the hacked Bank to a hacked Home, then from the hacked Home to a Switch game (so it never touches TPC's servers), but this causes a second problem. TPC tags all Pokemon that touch Home with an ID, so now you have a Pokemon from USUM or earlier that claims to have never touched Home. TPC can now permanently detect that Pokemon as hacked (because it will never have an ID that TPC recognizes as something it assigned a Pokemon leaving Bank in the past).

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PSA: If you don't download Poke Transporter now in addition to Pokemon Bank, it will be lost forever in one week. This requires a paid pass.

The Japanese support page explicitly says this. Without a paid pass, you can't get into the menu that allows you to start downloading Poke Transporter. If you download only Bank now, you won't get Transporter.

In addition, you can't even attempt to purchase a pass unless your 3DS already has save data for one of the Gen 6/7 main series games. Virtual Console doesn't count, and (I'm pretty sure) the demos don't count either. This is theoretically relevant if you have an empty 3DS that you're trying to get Bank and Transporter onto as quickly as possible. (To get to the main menu to download Transporter, you just need to save the game once; you don't need the Pokedex yet. The Pokedex is only needed for viewing your Bank boxes.)

PSA 2: Not even a hacked 3DS and hacked Switch will fully save you if you lose Bank.

All downloaded copies of Bank and Home have a "purchase" ($0) ID marking them as a valid download from the eShop. If you use a hacked copy, it won't be able to communicate with the servers because it can't provide anything the servers will recognize as a valid past purchase ID.

You can temporarily work around this by sending from a 3DS game to a hacked Bank, then from the hacked Bank to a hacked Home, then from the hacked Home to a Switch game (so it never touches TPC's servers), but this causes a second problem. TPC tags all Pokemon that touch Home with an ID, so now you have a Pokemon from USUM or earlier that claims to have never touched Home. TPC can now permanently detect that Pokemon as hacked (because it will never have an ID that TPC recognizes as something it assigned a Pokemon leaving Bank in the past).
Mm, I was half thinking about seeing if I could transfer all my leftover event Pokemon etc. that are doomed to be stuck on my UM save since fsr Bank won’t connect with any of my games and Festival Plaza crashes after about 10s but the cost of another 3DS was outrageous. Not even all those mons were worth it… sad times. rip Spacial Rend/Roar of Time Darkrai and Fly Pikachu, amongst many others.

Now to wait until the Free-Pass update for Bank actually goes live so I can move my Legendaries/Shinies from X into Bank into Home (my existing pass expired after the deadline for adding funds so I just figured I'd wait until then anyway).

Depending on how Transfer moves are handled my copies of X/AS/Sun might still be worth holding onto for miscellaneous stuff, but primarily it's my stop gap for Gen 4 or 5 stuff (and RNG Manipulation spoils)

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I have a story I want to tell today. This is a story about how one Pokémon game changed my life forever.

In the fall/winter months of 2010, I was first introduced to the Pokémon franchise during the third grade, with the help of some trading cards and a Pokémon Ranger game. That game would go on to have such a big personal impact that, at some point, I started to compare every newly released aspect of the franchise to how much I enjoyed this game.

This game’s North American release lined up almost exactly with when I started following the franchise. It was one thing that I coincidentally shared my name with one of the game’s protagonist characters, but as the years went on, as the DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch all passed by, even though newer installments were becoming increasingly less fun for me, this one game, a 2010 spin-off title of all games, was still the one that managed to stand the test of time.

Following developments in the early 2020s and a very stressful Generation 8, I realized that my interests in Pokémon wouldn’t last forever. One day, I would have to let go. That’s when I learned that the eShop would close on March 27, 2023. The eShop closing wasn’t what scared me. What scared me was that the game I’ve been tethered to for 12 years now would finally be laid to rest after having ways of playing it on the DS, 3DS (backwards compatibility) and Wii U (Virtual Console). While I still have access to the game to this day, the timing of everything left me nervous for what could happen.

It’s now March 27, 2023, and my fears have been confirmed. My interests in the franchise, while not as low as in 2021, are at a very low point around the time this was happening. Pokémon Scarlet & Violet’s inconsistent reputation (and that’s being generous) haven’t done anything to tell me I should keep supporting this franchise, and I’ve already quit collecting other Pokémon items and merchandise by this point years ago. If my interest in these games died around the same time that last availability of this game that’s taught me so much… it was over. It’s like fate itself was trying to drive me away.

I’m sorry this is such a long post. I’m sorry that this post may not make any sense to you. But you have to understand- I’m 20 years old now in college, and this is more than just a game to me. If you did try and read all of this, you have no idea how much that means to me.

I have a story I want to tell today. This is a story about how one Pokémon game changed my life forever.

In the fall/winter months of 2010, I was first introduced to the Pokémon franchise during the third grade, with the help of some trading cards and a Pokémon Ranger game. That game would go on to have such a big personal impact that, at some point, I started to compare every newly released aspect of the franchise to how much I enjoyed this game.

This game’s North American release lined up almost exactly with when I started following the franchise. It was one thing that I coincidentally shared my name with one of the game’s protagonist characters, but as the years went on, as the DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch all passed by, even though newer installments were becoming increasingly less fun for me, this one game, a 2010 spin-off title of all games, was still the one that managed to stand the test of time.

Following developments in the early 2020s and a very stressful Generation 8, I realized that my interests in Pokémon wouldn’t last forever. One day, I would have to let go. That’s when I learned that the eShop would close on March 27, 2023. The eShop closing wasn’t what scared me. What scared me was that the game I’ve been tethered to for 12 years now would finally be laid to rest after having ways of playing it on the DS, 3DS (backwards compatibility) and Wii U (Virtual Console). While I still have access to the game to this day, the timing of everything left me nervous for what could happen.

It’s now March 27, 2023, and my fears have been confirmed. My interests in the franchise, while not as low as in 2021, are at a very low point around the time this was happening. Pokémon Scarlet & Violet’s inconsistent reputation (and that’s being generous) haven’t done anything to tell me I should keep supporting this franchise, and I’ve already quit collecting other Pokémon items and merchandise by this point years ago. If my interest in these games died around the same time that last availability of this game that’s taught me so much… it was over. It’s like fate itself was trying to drive me away.

I’m sorry this is such a long post. I’m sorry that this post may not make any sense to you. But you have to understand- I’m 20 years old now in college, and this is more than just a game to me. If you did try and read all of this, you have no idea how much that means to me.
I don't feel particularly strongly about the loss of transfer capability, since I stopped doing significant transfers shortly into gen 5. The loss in the original games got to me, wanting to experience some of the postgame activities again but just having a ghost town as all the mons were somewhere else. Instead of transferring, I'd trade for existing mons online and discover what a new generation brought them. Effectively, the chain that started with me in gen 3 was cut in gen 8, when I could no longer hit the Facility with Aggron shortly after seeing the credits.

I've heard there's often a cycle to more complex games. They build up, are considered bloated, are cut down, are built up again. Granted, I hear that most often from those who deride the 'bloat' and want a steady state of the simpler versions. But I enjoy the climb and dread the cuts. The aftermath always seems to pale in comparison to its own past version. I haven't yet seen one of my favourites recover fully. But maybe, if this cycle exists, a game will come around to its former glory again. Maybe, with enough games, I could ride from peak to peak. I would just be waiting for when a game rises again. Hard part seems to be when multiple games collapse at the same time.

I don't know if and when pokemon is going to be good for me again. But I intend to be aware of it if and when it does.

I have been thinking about this ever since the game was first released on the 3DS Virtual Console. Now that the eShop is about to close down, I thought it over one last time, and since I just happened to have exactly the required amount of money left on my account... I decided to just get it.

*opinions may vary
Not sure when (or even if) I will play through it, but now I have it at least. Oddly, I feel like giving it a try just to see if it is a good and bad as I remember it. I won't lie, I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but there are no running shoes and you don't get the bike until Goldenrod and I want to see how it holds up nowadays but there are only 251 Pokémon and many are missing since I won't be able to trade, maybe I can finally go back and complete the two things I always wanted to do but never did in my original copy... or not. The future will tell.
The beginning of the end got to me and yesterday I also ended up buying Pokemon Crystal as my last eShop purchase to pay my respects to the franchise-defining Gen 2 games after all the memories I've had from playing them on emulator, and it all comes together since I started off the 3DS era with buying SoulSilver as my first physical game. It was an interesting time to get invested, being able to experience the DS wifi still up for a few years, yet still on track to follow the releases of the next generations, and I appreciate the experiences I had in the games and on the internet outside of it even though I haven't opened the 3DS in a while. At the least I do want to see the Celebi event play out legitimately for the novelty of it and I might try a challenge or speed run to get there, as well as revisit some other games at some point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)