Metagame 2v2 Doubles

A few unconventional teams I made that I've been having alot of fun with this last month in the post- Chi-Yu meta. I laddered to around ~1480 with each of these before moving on to something else.

Trick room Ursaring was a particular fave, as well as stall Tropius which alongside Arcanine was strangely consistent.

Zangsupport
1683117245906.png-1683117295413.png-1683117321961.png-1683117338549.png

Scyther
1683117543944.png-1683117559505.png-1683117604646.png-1683117622747.png

Jungle
1683117702747.png-1683117720841.png-1683117752792.png-1683117777115.png

Big G Energy

1683118107418.png-1683118128695.png-1683118145091.png-1683118202080.png

Bear in the big blue house
1683118287798.png-1683118305964.png-1683118321459.png-1683118336285.png

GyaraLu
1683118468790.png-1683118485467.png-1683118512452.png-1683118533083.png

GenLu

1683118608044.png-1683118623986.png-1683118638720.png-1683118653815.png

Recently I have enjoyed playing 2v2 so here are some of my thoughts about the metagame right now with VR nominations. These nominations are based on the “New VR” which does not appear to be updated since the fish ban. I will also drop a team I have been laddering with.

Rises
1684110871704.png
Iron Bundle B+ -> A/A- Water ice STAB with the ability to hit water types allows for fantastic coverage. Pair with a booster energy can guarantee you are the faster pokemon on the field.

1684110896896.png
Arcanine B- -> B+ Intimidate with decent bulk and access to willow wisp helps with defensive support.

1684110916385.png
Great Tusk B- -> B+ Fantastic move pool and can take advantage of weather or use booster energy to boost stats

1684110928714.png
Amoonguss B- -> B Solid wall like previous generations enjoys chi-yu leaving and with several fairy types around good to absorb

1684110940936.png
Walking Wake UR -> B Powerful under sun

1684110951186.png
Corviknight UR -> B- Decent fairy absorb mon which also threatens fighting and grass types

Drops
1684110964583.png
Ting Lu S -> A+ Still solid special defensive wall not needed to be leaned on as heavily since the fish leaving

1684110981634.png
Slither Wing A+ -> B+ Strong mon but with several fairy, fire, and sun options would not be at the top of the metagame for me

1684111072518.png
Gholdengo A-> A- Falls into an awkward speed tier in my opinion strong ability and attack but I feel like I have to run scarf or something unusual to make it work

Team
1684111092751.png
1684111100749.png
1684111109621.png
1684111113729.png

https://pokepast.es/9097b84c1b9ab3e2

I built this team with great tusk in mind, it has the booster energy to boost the attack. Iron bundle is the speed control of the team. Corviknight found a neat niche where it can resist fairy attacks and hit them back. It has occa because I always found fire annoying to deal with although the team has several checks to fire types. Taunt is useful to nullify trick room or bulkier match-ups. In the back, Ting-Lu is for special attack match-ups such as expanding force spam.

Krytocon

I do things (sometimes)
is a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
With 16 voters excluding abstainers and 7 Do Not Ban votes, the 60% supermajority to ban Flutter Mane cannot be reached. As a result, Flutter Mane will remain legal in 2v2.
Krytocon Ban
Morgan Do Not Ban
Despacito87 Do Not Ban
Phantomistix Do Not Ban
yuki Do Not Ban
Opchurtle100 Ban
hayedenn Ban
Potatochan Do Not Ban
Fragments Do Not Ban
DripLegend Ban
Tom1535 Do Not Ban
bored_glitch Do Not Ban
Kaif Do Not Ban
Hugo Do Not Ban
tyo Abstain
Chris32156 Did Not Vote Yet
Vrji Did Not Vote Yet

When I try to use a team with tornadus-therian or validating the team you see in the screen:

Your team was rejected for the following reasons:

- Tornadus-Therian is banned.

EDIT: Thank you for unban the bird, I use today (29/8/2023) without problems.
On the other hand...this tier needs a new viability ranking.

Last edited:
Hyper Offense Physical team involving Chien-Pao that has had good success

Infernape @ Punching Glove
Ability: Iron Fist
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
Fake Out is always good, plus drain, mach, and fire punch are great offensive options that are boosted by Iron Fist and Punching Glove.

Chien-Pao @ Life Orb
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Sacred Sword
The entire team is physical and Chien-Pao buffs that physical damage with Sword of Ruin. Standard moves for maximum damage.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spirit Break
- Fake Out
- Lash Out
If you need support against a stall opponent, Grimmy's your guy. Fake Out to prevent movement for a turn, Spirit Break and Lash Out for damage, and T-Wave to shut down speedy opponents.

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brick Break
- Stomping Tantrum
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
It's a Landorous T. I don't need to elaborate.

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brick Break
- Stomping Tantrum
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
It's a Landorous T. I don't need to elaborate.
Lando-T is runing naive nature without special moves, change to jolly nature and put 4 evs in satk in other stat.

fake tom numbers

formerly Tom1535
Suggested bans:

:deoxys-attack: On paper it seems fine with espeed users like entei and dnite fake out incin grassy glide rilla etc but with indeedee this thing is super broken. This has a million coverage moves to beat whatever it wants, and with follow me support this thing is unstoppable. Way too fast and strong, it even has espeed to deal with faster things.

:deoxys: Same vein as deo a except you have bulk to live espeeds, rilla grassy glide, double fake out or stuff like fake out+feint from sneasler

:deoxys-defense: Really good setup sweeper and support mon. It's best answers are Urshifu and Chi yu... and they're both banned. This means that you have to double target to ever kill this thing (252 Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-Defense: 254-300 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO lol) and if you don't, it'll get a trick room to enable Ursaluna Torkoal or whatever trick room sweeper you need, can enable weather teams or do whatever it wants really.

:terapagos-terastal: Just a better dnite with amazing coverage moves, a good spread move and a broken ability. I've been running power herb meteor beam for all of the fire types, but you can run cm covert cloak, specs, or even run a weather move like raindance/sunny day. It just fits onto every team and without fighting types (ihands shifus) this is too much.

Suggested unbans:

:iron hands: This would be a very healthy addition to the meta, we need a good fake out user and the meta just checks this naturally. We got psyspam looking really good, fire types that hinder ihands (gouging fire swipes, incin intimidate, sacred fire entei, etc) and lots of new special attackers that would probably force ihands to always run av instead of the sd set that got ihands banned. We really need fake out mons and a good fighting type.

:urshifu: (water) We got a lot of new checks/counters like rilla, raging bolt, all of the ogerpons, psychics etc. In return we get a really good water to check all of the fire ground dark types that are omnipresent in the tier. I do not see a world where this is broken.

Controversial opinions

:chi yu: meh doesn't seem that good with all of the faster mons that exist now and with other fire types having competition with this, we need darks for psyspam and theres lots of new checks with water rock ground fighting etc. Is it too good by enabling its teammates like flutter to become really good? maybe but we need a good answer to indeedee so unban pls

:urshifu: This is fine, we have hoopa u which is probably better than this tbh, but this is a good dark and good fighting type with decent priority with sucker punch. May be a bit too good but I think it contributes more than it takes away.

:tornadus: Maybe it's just me but I don't really see what this enables to be really good. Like there's lots of rock electric and ice types that just counter this thing casually, and with the meta going into a more bulky phase this doesnt seem that broken. Then again it got a pretty nice coverage move in bleakwind storm so idk

maybe also :ogerpon-cornerstone: or :deoxys-speed: but idk

Krytocon

I do things (sometimes)
Suggested bans:

:deoxys-attack: On paper it seems fine with espeed users like entei and dnite fake out incin grassy glide rilla etc but with indeedee this thing is super broken. This has a million coverage moves to beat whatever it wants, and with follow me support this thing is unstoppable. Way too fast and strong, it even has espeed to deal with faster things.

:deoxys: Same vein as deo a except you have bulk to live espeeds, rilla grassy glide, double fake out or stuff like fake out+feint from sneasler

:deoxys-defense: Really good setup sweeper and support mon. It's best answers are Urshifu and Chi yu... and they're both banned. This means that you have to double target to ever kill this thing (252 Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-Defense: 254-300 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO lol) and if you don't, it'll get a trick room to enable Ursaluna Torkoal or whatever trick room sweeper you need, can enable weather teams or do whatever it wants really.

:terapagos-terastal: Just a better dnite with amazing coverage moves, a good spread move and a broken ability. I've been running power herb meteor beam for all of the fire types, but you can run cm covert cloak, specs, or even run a weather move like raindance/sunny day. It just fits onto every team and without fighting types (ihands shifus) this is too much.

Suggested unbans:

:iron hands: This would be a very healthy addition to the meta, we need a good fake out user and the meta just checks this naturally. We got psyspam looking really good, fire types that hinder ihands (gouging fire swipes, incin intimidate, sacred fire entei, etc) and lots of new special attackers that would probably force ihands to always run av instead of the sd set that got ihands banned. We really need fake out mons and a good fighting type.

:urshifu: (water) We got a lot of new checks/counters like rilla, raging bolt, all of the ogerpons, psychics etc. In return we get a really good water to check all of the fire ground dark types that are omnipresent in the tier. I do not see a world where this is broken.

Controversial opinions

:chi yu: meh doesn't seem that good with all of the faster mons that exist now and with other fire types having competition with this, we need darks for psyspam and theres lots of new checks with water rock ground fighting etc. Is it too good by enabling its teammates like flutter to become really good? maybe but we need a good answer to indeedee so unban pls

:urshifu: This is fine, we have hoopa u which is probably better than this tbh, but this is a good dark and good fighting type with decent priority with sucker punch. May be a bit too good but I think it contributes more than it takes away.

:tornadus: Maybe it's just me but I don't really see what this enables to be really good. Like there's lots of rock electric and ice types that just counter this thing casually, and with the meta going into a more bulky phase this doesnt seem that broken. Then again it got a pretty nice coverage move in bleakwind storm so idk

maybe also :ogerpon-cornerstone: or :deoxys-speed: but idk
(these are just my opinions, opinions of other council members may differ)

Bans

:deoxys-attack: hard agree, don't think much needs to be said here, it's too much for the meta and needs to go

:deoxys: lower power level, haven't really seen much of this because of deo-a but will probably have to go as well

:deoxys-defense: i feel like this isnt amazing, its in the same vein as cress with insane bulk, pure psychic typing and good support moves. deo can also stall though. we'll have to see about this

:terapagos-terastal: haven't seen enough of this to comment much but will keep an eye on it

Unbans

:Iron hands: we got incin now as a good fake out mon but hands still has better offensive pressure and raw bulk. I'm not too sure how to feel about this but I'd err on the side of caution probably. Might get looked at later

:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: (water) power level is a lot higher this gen, shifus were banned because of the havoc they wreaked last gen but I think at least water can come off now

Controversial opinions

:Chi-yu: chi is not just a strong fire type, its also a really strong enabler that helps break special teams, it can also still tech pretty much all of its checks, so i dont think this comes off

:Urshifu: definitely better than water shifu but I want to eventually unban this as well depending on how the meta is after the next slate

:Tornadus: we already have whims so this thing should 100% be free, i don't think prio tailwind is that valuable in this gen with powercreep being how it is

:Ogerpon-Cornerstone: This mon is still really really good but I think it's healthier now than before the dlc, it's still an S tier mon but I would personally not vote ban on this at this point

:Deoxys-Speed: not good, it has meh bulk and meh offensive stats, even specs feels extremely weak. not worth banning

by the way, council are voting on a slate right now and we'll get back to you about results (and potential suspects)

Krytocon

I do things (sometimes)
After a council slate, :Deoxys-Attack: Deoxys-Attack has been banned and :Tornadus: Tornadus has been unbanned. Tagging Kris for implementation.
Additionally, :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: Urshifu-Rapid-Strike has been voted for a suspect, and we plan to do this via suspect tours after open concludes, as well as have a second follow-up slate. (Just a reminder, these changes are NOT in effect for round 2 of open, so please challenge with deo-a unbanned and torn banned for this week)
Also vr has been updated, expect a proper ranked vr soon:tm:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)