SS LC 25 To Life - A RMT by Shandeur (200th Post!)

Table of Contents
1. Teambuilding Process
2. Sets and Roles
3. Threatlist
Outro: Shoutouts

Prologue:

Hello RMT, with my 16th Birthday rapidly approaching, I've decided to make one last RMT before Scarlet and Violet comes out. For this, I'll be presenting a team that I've laddered with from my fall into the depths of ladder to my rise back into the Top 50.

79215C3A-1B0B-43FF-8F6D-474E4E824A69.jpeg

Introducing...
25 To Life: StatusSpam + Bulky Sweepers - A RMT by Shandeur

:xy/timburr: :xy/ferroseed: :xy/staryu: :xy/larvesta: :xy/tyrunt: :xy/natu:

Like the name suggests, this a Bulky Offense team with 3 setup-related win conditions. The idea is to use status to provide opportunities for a sweeper to setup and win the game. I believe this group of Pokemon handles the current metagame well, and each member serves a purpose here. I'll explain the teambuilding process then explain each member's role on the team.​

1. Teambuilding Process
:timburr:
Bulk Up Timburr is one of my favorite cleaners in the tier due to priority and strong combination of attacks in Drain Punch, Knock Off, and Mach Punch. It's a soft-check to Carvanha and Defensive Porygon, and can take on frailer threats such as Diglett easily. It's also able to absorb status from the likes of Larvesta and Ferroseed.

:timburr: :ferroseed:
Timburr doesn't appreciate Psychic Types, so Ferroseed provides a switch-in to those. It's also able to soften switchins like Natu with Knock Off, and can provide Hazard Support and Thunder Wave speed control, allowing Timburr to move first against would-be faster opponents.

:timburr: :ferroseed: :staryu: :larvesta:
Next, I needed a fighting resistance. Larvesta seemed perfect for the team, since it can spread burns, soften up attackers with Flare Blitz, can Pivot with U-turn, and can heal itself consistently with Morning Sun. I, of course, needed removal to run Larvesta. Staryu was the pick of Drilbur here, since it adds more burning antics, and is another mon offensive threats must breakthrough. Psychic is used here > Thunderbolt, since the Frillish matchup was covered with Guts Timburr, and Mareanie was more troublesome. It also has benefits such as hitting Mienfoo and Koffing.

:timburr: :ferroseed: :staryu: :larvesta: :tyrunt:
With all the status flying around, another sweeper could be used. Tyrunt is the premier sweeper in Little Cup as of current, and it would work well as it can use Paralysis and burn to setup more easily/on things that it normally shouldn't be able to setup on. The standard set of Rock Blast, Psychic Fangs, and Close Combat is used here, mainly for consistency, but Ice Fang can be used to soften up Bulky Ground Types.

:timburr: :ferroseed: :staryu: :larvesta: :tyrunt: :natu:
Another sweeper could be used in the last slot. I also needed a ground immunity, so Cosmic Power Natu was chosen for the role. Burn can affect many of Natu's checks, such as Pawniard and Knock Off users. It can have chances at beating Pawniard one on one if it gets enough Cosmic Power boosts up before Pawniard does enough damage. It also can just win games on the spot with enough luck, so that's always nice.

2: Sets and Roles
:xy/timburr:
Cinderella Man (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD / 156 Spe
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

"Music is my time machine, So call me Cinderella Man, Cinderella Man Cinderella Man, Cinderella Man!"

Bulk Up Timburr is one of the most slept on threats, due to it's ability to setup on many common fighting weak Pokemon. Mach Punch helps vs Carvanha, and can come in on Pokemon such as Defensive Porygon, which don't stand a chance vs it. Heavy Special Defense investment lets it take attacks that it usually doesn't, such as Focus Sash Abra's Psychic only having a 6.3 percent chance to OHKO.

236 SpA Abra Psychic vs. 0 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Timburr: 18-24 (75 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

:xy/ferroseed:
25 To Life (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock

"But when you spoke of people who meant the most to you, You left me off your list! F**k you, hip hop, I'm leavin' you, My life sentence is served, b**ch."

Ferroseed is one of the most important members of the team, as it provides a Water, Psychic, and Grass Resist which helps vs most of the offensive threats in the tier. It helps against Offensive Staryu from going on a Rampage, and can punish Non-Fire Punch Abra variants by getting progress. It's the standard Ferroseed set here, there's nothing much else to say, it's just a great Pokemon overall.

:xy/staryu:
Space Bound (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

"We touch, I feel a rush, we clutch, it isn't much, But it's enough to make me wonder what's in store for us."

Staryu provides a Fire Type switch-in, and can spread burns with Scald as well as being able to attack Pokemon weak to Psychic with, well, Psychic. It also provides Rapid Spin support for Natu and Larvesta, which helps in the long run to check Fighting-Types. Due to Staryu's ability to spread burns, it's also a good way to stop Swords Dance Acrobatics Grookey from SD'ing in Staryu's face.

:xy/larvesta:
On Fire (Larvesta) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

"You know the one thing I notice about critics, man? Is critics never ask me how my day went."

Larvesta provides a fighting resistance, more status, and a pivoting tool in U-turn, as well as reliable recovery. It forms a Fire-Water-Grass core with Staryu and Ferroseed, allowing each other to check threats they cannot handle. It's the standard Larvesta set, and there isn't much to say. Rapid Spin Staryu and Magic Bounce Natu helps immensely to help Larvesta do its job, and it is used over a Poison-type to help slightly vs the Abra matchup.

:xy/tyrunt:
No Love (Tyrunt) @ Eviolite
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 204 Atk / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Blast / Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat

"I'm alive again, More alive than I have been in my whole entire life, I can see these people's ears perk up as I begin to spaz with the pen."

Due to all the status on the team, Tyrunt was a natural pick for the team. Burn can help it set-up on many Targets. Most notably, Mienfoo's High Jump Kick. Using the Standard set or Ice Fang is up to you, but Ice Fang hits Natu and Ground types such as Drilbur. Due to the team's nature, either can work as there are Pokemon to deal with both of those Pokemon. Most notably, Staryu.

:xy/natu:
Won't Back Down (Natu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave
- Roost

"You can fence in your yard, You can hold all the cards, But I won't back down!"

Finally, the ultimate abuser of status. Cosmic Power Natu. When its checks are paralyzed or burned, Cosmic Power Natu is unstoppable without a Critical Hit. Stored Power, when at +6 in both defenses, is a nuke of a move, while Heat Wave is used for Ferroseed and Pawniard. Sometimes, Natu can win from turn one of the game or vs a misplay with enough luck. Due to this, Cosmic Power Natu was definitely going to make it to the team.

3. Threatlist
:xy/magnemite:
Since there's no ground, Scarf Magnemite is a huge threat. Volt Switch is free every single time it comes in, and combined with Stealth Rock dealing with the Magnet can be absolute NAILS.

:xy/mienfoo: +
5A0492BF-45F8-4D10-B42F-02617F99EE09.png

Since my Fighting resistances are weak to Rock, Stone Edge Mienfoo can break down this team quite easily. However, this can be played around with good play.

Outro: Shoutouts
Sulo You've helped me get into some tiers such as UU, and have had a blast talking to you in SmogCord. Hoping that you make a huge splash once SV UU hits.

BlueWollyWog :socool: You're always pretty fun to talk to in LC Cord, and my mood gets better when you show up.

Nultiprise Gratz on going 7-0 in LPL! Hoping you're the future of LC as the generations go on.

Drifting Praying for the #DriftingSweep to come around next SCL. Regardless, you've been hella fun to talk to in LC Cord.

ashelyDeluxe I love the artwork!! Keep up the great work, who knows what might happen?

uhBella I'll build Venipede...soon.

That's all I have for today, I'll see you all in Scarlet and Violet!

:timburr: :ferroseed: :staryu: :larvesta: :tyrunt: :natu:

Last edited:

Drifting

wrapped in plastic
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for the shoutout. It's not too often an LC team comes around here, so I'll give this a rate and see if there are any improvements to be made as well. It's a little hard to evaluate without replays to watch, but we'll see.

Threats:

:ss/koffing:

This guy kinda rips you a new one. Nothing wants to come in on it, and this is somewhat compounded by the Natu set you're using not providing an immediate threat to Koffing. The only thing kind of comfortable thing is Staryu, which is already stretched quite thin as the hazard control on a Larvesta structure, as well as also having to check a bunch of other things.

:ss/frillish:

The only real spinblocker in the tier, it's important for a larvesta team to be able to deal with this thing, and frankly you can't. Your Staryu, being defensive scald/psychic gets completely shrugged off by Frillish, and you don't have great ways of pressuring it anywhere else.

:ss/Tyrunt: :ss/Ponyta:

These two have the speed power and variety in coverage to 6-0 you if they get you worn down a bit, Tyrunt struggles a bit with Timburr but Timmy being Guts gives it a bit of an out.

:ss/Magnemite: :ss/Mienfoo:

You mentioned these already but yea they do obviously wash you.

Changes:

There are a few changes I think we can make to improve this team:

Staryu > Drilbur

Defensive Staryu right now is frankly not great imo, being totally outclassed by offensive Staryu, but that's not really the best option for you either since you need some defensive backbone.This is on top of the fact that your team sorely needs a ground type so as to not get rolled by Koffing, Magnemite and Tyrunt. I would propose using this set:

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 196 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

This is a notably slower variation of the standard set, but you don't really need the speed and the bulk is important to take hits from things that trouble you like Tyrunt, Ponyta, or really whatever else. Toxic is used over Rock Slide to punish Frill, as it really is the ultimate enemy of Larvesta teams. It also beats Shellos and Cosmic Power Natu which is nice, and preserves your team's status spam identity.

Ferroseed: Stealth Rock > Spikes

Since you have rocks on your Drilbur now, you can freely opt for Spikes on the Ferro to go for a hazard stacking angle, which is strong when a lot of teams neglect hazard control.

Natu > Frillish

I don't think the Natu is doing very much, especially with that set. You really don't need it to be a win-con when you have Tyrunt and hazard-stack, and it's hazard control aspects are kinda overrated. It can't really prevent hazards from Pawniard, Dwebble and Drilbur, and against Ferro you have a Timburr to punish the opponent anyway.

Furthermore, removing Staryu gives you a lot of trouble into Sun teams (even though defensive Staryu often struggles do much to sun anyway.)

Frillish meanwhile gives your team a needed switch-in to things like Natu and Porygon, stops your hazards from being spun, reinstates your FWG core, and importantly helps that Status Spam angle with Scald and ESPECIALLY with Hex. Standard Frillish set should be fine here, and I think it would be a great improvement. If you don't decide to do this though, please just switch the Natu set for standard with T-Wave over U-Turn, and not this dire cosmic power set.

Timburr: Guts > Iron Fist

Lastly, Guts is kinda sub-optimal here I feel. Guts is only really good against Mareanie and Larvesta, and you have Ferroseed to wreck Mareanie and Frillish for Larvesta. Iron Fist just is strictly better everywhere else imo, allows mach to pick up key kills on Carv, Pory, Tyrunt and even stuff like Charmander, and just makes drain punch way more lethal. It's especially good for Mienfoo which still kinda terrorises this team with Stone Edge.

Maybe there's some other things, like using Thunder Fang over Rock Blast on Tyrunt to break Frillish and Staryu, but that's kind of a preference and thing and would require playing the team and getting experience to figure out what is optimal most often. Team looks fun though, I will probably give this a try (with my edits) if I have to play SS LC again, so hopefully never :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)