Tournament 2023 PU Circuit Feedback & 2024 Circuit Discussion

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
pu circuit.png

art by LifeisDANK

hello all, with our circuit nearing to an end, with playoffs next month, it's time for our yearly feedback thread!! feel free to discuss anything you think is relevant to the circuit, we appreciate all feedback and ideas to make our circuit better for everyone

here is what we had in 2023:
  • PU Classic: SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, and ADV
  • PU Open
  • PU Swiss
  • PU Ladder Tournament
  • PU Fall Seasonal
---

personal thoughts: i liked this year's circuit, but i think swiss should get removed for something else or have a playoffs part. for the order, i think i'd like for classic and our summer sv tour to switch places, as not having a current generation tournament early in the year would be a mistake, imo. this also makes our sv tour overlap less, which i'd say is a benefit

I think I participated in Swiss, Fall, and maybe Open (i can't remember), if it matters.

I mostly wanted to talk about Swiss. As a somewhat newer tournament player, I really like swiss tours in general since you're guaranteed to get experience with the tournament process, even if you lose 6 games.

I do agree that swiss needs playoffs (with the cutoff for making playoffs either at a 3-3 or 4-2 record), and I don't think I need to explain why. I am in favor of 4-2 making playoffs over of 3-3 because it sounds better, but 3-3 feels way more achievable for a newer player if that's the goal.

No idea if this is doable or ideal, but I would not oppose people who get act called on them like 3 times in a row (especially with no contact) getting cut from the tournament. The best part of Swiss is playing, and I think removing people who are not doing that would be beneficial for everyone.

I do oppose cutting people who cannot mathematically make playoffs (and/or were guaranteed playoffs) if they're still playing games, however. I played in a different tier's swiss tour that did that, and even though I was mid enough to play 6 games there, I didn't like the prospect that I could be playing less games than I signed up for.

If Swiss is getting removed regardless of my pleas, I would want something that guarantees a higher amount of games than double elimination does. Maybe something with pools would work, as long as they're not like released all at once because I don't think that's beginner friendly.

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
Hello, I had a some suggestions in mind but gum basically mentioned all of them on the OP.
  • Remove or change the Swiss format; the whole tour was awful this year and the points distribution was also pretty bad but that is expected when the format of the tour is a mess. Adding a playoffs phase might help to a certain extent maybe? Similar to how ODST/Masters is doing it maybe and only award points to the people who make playoffs/top cut whatever you wanna call it. People who can no longer qualify for the next phase can be removed in later rounds, makes hosting easier too.
    • However, if we end up scrapping Swiss as a whole for a different tour, could just add a simple single elimination tour that's either type B or type C; between seasonal and open we already have two type A tours and those two, PULT and classic are all fairly long tours so something shorter like a LCQ tour could be a fine replacement for Swiss.
  • Swap a CG tour with Classic so a CG tour is the first tour of the circuit; not having a CG tour until PU Open which is (almost) half way through the year is quite bad.

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I hosted swiss and played in Ladder tour and FSNL. So heres my thoughts:

• Swiss Needs to be changed: I have NO idea why it was not a playoffs format. It made hosting the tour an absolute mess and it made alot of ppl extremely unhappy. I don't mind keeping it but a playoffs format would be great and would make the tour much easier to host and also more enjoyable.
  • As gum said in OP, i think it makes perfect sense for classic to be in the middle of the circuit instead of being the first. I personally think all circuits should start off w a current gen tour imo.
  • Perhaps have a last chance tour in exchange for making FSNL start 2-3 weeks earlier? Would give people who need the extra points to make the playoffs a chance to get said points.
With all that said, i still think the circuit was great this year. Everything aside from swiss ran very smoothly and i don't have issues with most of them! Hopefully though circuit in 2024 can be even better than this year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)