2018 recap

Hello

Once again I would like to write a recap of this year in circus maximus except hopefully closer to the start of the new year. I don't think there will be any objections but obv feel free if you have any. You can find last year's recap in the article section somewhere, and I plan to follow a similar format. The point of this thread is to discuss which games people would like me to recap. Also if you want to help out in recapping that would be nice to - especially for games I didn't play/remember well.

Here's my preliminary list:
Cyberpunk Mafia (?)
The Mafia Invitational
Vote Control Mafia (?)
Survivor III (?)
Animal NOC Mafia (?)
The Mafia Invitational Redux (?)
Survivor IV
Food Chain Mafia (?)
Greek Mythology Mafia (?)
Smogon Puzzle Hunt
Hope +1 NOC Mafia (?)
2d3 NOC Mafia (?)
Reinforcements NOC Mafia (?)
Raiders of the Lost Mafia
Parroting
Reinforcements NOC Mafia (?)
Lovers Dance NOC (?)

? means I'm not sure whether to include it for whatever reason. Most (if not all of the NOCs) have that because I can't remember which ones were memorable. Probably the longer games plus the one I got mad in but I don't remember which one is which exactly so hopefully someone can help me out with that.

Greek myth -
Wayne Brady FFA -
Animals NOC -
Reinforcements NOC -
CAP Survivor II - heal writing
Survivor III, IV, V - heal is doing V
Cyberpunk Mafia -
The Mafia Invitational (I & II) -
Vote Control Mafia -
Smogon Puzzle Hunt -
Raiders of the Lost Mafia -
Parroting -
Build Your Own Mafia 2 -
Matrix Whatever -
Genius Game - brief
Build your own mafia 2 -

Last edited:

Nuxl

new message from your psychologist
is a Community Contributor
from an outsiders pov I really liked Greek Mythology, I thought it was a great read, i think it should be included imo

animals is also a good game(mafia coming back from a like 7-1 deficit or somes crazy) but i think it suffered from the deadline thing at the end and also i just don't remember much about it; but i remember it being interesting

maybe u might wanna include cyberpunk mafia because it was a big even if it got muddled up by drama stuff and was a cleaner town win

from stuff that I participated in:

maybe I'm biased towards 2d3 but i thought it was good in the sense that most of the players were newish/new which was a change of pace from the previous players before. idk if it was that entertaining because we won the game through a mechanical solve so maybe not though

dont know how i feel about reinforcements, I think each eod was pretty crazy and was basically a cfd in the sense that it detracted from the earlier games which made it entertaining maybe, but i think just a bunch of mistakes from town lead to a perfect scum win so it didnt last super long

raiders was excellent

prolly would never include lovers here

if you need help writing any of these lemme know

Wait cyberpunk and the invitational were this year?????

2018 feels weird

Maybe I'm biased because I was in it but I feel like the wayne brady game should be included? I mean it was the next installment of the "series" I guess

Wouldn't include lovers mafia imo. Not really a significant game

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yeah wayne should definitely be included, it was the only FFA barring things that aren't really mafia.

food chain isn't a mafia game btw, it was just a strategy game (it originated in an episode of the genius)

I can help u with vote control since i hosted, but i'd have to brush up on my knowledge since it was a while ago. I'm sure I still have all the info (docs and such) on file though.

things that really should be included that currently have a ? next to them: cyberpunk, vote control, greek myth, hope+1, MAYBE 2d3

and wayne brady needs to be on the list yeah. maybe include animal as well but that one had a real bad ending...

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You're missing CAP Survivor II. Also include Circus III pls, it's the only time I was ever "good" and it was a flipping 7 month long game that finished this year and wasn't included last year.

Asek

Banned deucer.
the only games i really remember were greek myth, vote control (not rlly for reasons this article probably inends tho)) and invitiational r1 but ive not been overly active this yer

Wayan Vistar

formerly Flyhn
Unless I'm remembering very wrong for some reason, Cyberpunk was the last official, right? I think it should definitely be talked about

Oh, and the most recent Wayne Brady, totally not because it's the first one of the three I've played that I actually won or anything ^^;

I totally just forgot about wayne brady in my scrolling of the subforum but that is a good one to include.

let's do greek, + animals (because i'm biased xd)

im down to include cap survivor even though it wasn't hosted here in the subforum? (actually was it, i can't even remember). I'm partial to reinforcment hope + 1 2d3 because biased. I'm ok with no lovers dance though. I feel like this is a lot of NOCs.

I would really really like it if people would be willing to write games or at least throw in some few words with some guidance if that's more manageable. I think ap has offered to write something for Survivor IV and Nuxl for 2d3 which would be awesome. Here was last year's recap (there's also a spanish translation?????): https://www.smogon.com/articles/circus-recap-2017. You can tell the games that I didn't really have a good grasp of...So yeah it would be good to have some other writers.

I will propose the recap in the next few days and hopefully will have ironed out a list by then.

My list right now:

Greek myth

Wayne Brady FFA
2d3 NOC
Hope +1 NOC
Animals NOC
Reinforcements NOC
CAP Survivor II
Survivor III, IV, V
Cyberpunk Mafia
The Mafia Invitational (I & II)
Vote Control Mafia
Food Chain
Smogon Puzzle Hunt
Raiders of the Lost Mafia
Parroting

I feel like this is a lot but I do feel like they were all quality games? Would be willing to cut some tho ofc.

happy thanksgiving if you're reading this as well

Last edited:
there are 12 games in the last article and i count 17 in this list

i would cut animals and/or reinforcements on the basis that we have the invitationals, 2d3, hope+1 and greek already. would probably cut both.

i would also cut at least one, maybe two survivor. i would not count survivor v because that game was plagued by inactivity and people not giving a shit, i think including survivor v would be a bit like including lovers dance.

i'm willing to write a shorter recap for survivor 4. i think it would be optimal to have, where possible, hosts or non-players write summaries because player written summaries tend to focus too much on themselves.

Asek

Banned deucer.
i dont think theres much to be said about hope+1 (as rhe host), i would cut it b4 animals idk what reinforcements is

im petitioning to ad the genius game to the list with the (dis)hournoarbale mention of longest forum game ever to push the game so we mau 1 day see t conclude

was cap survivor in this subforum? if it wasnt i oppose it being included

i dont think theres much to be said about hope+1 (as rhe host), i would cut it b4 animals idk what reinforcements is

im petitioning to ad the genius game to the list with the (dis)hournoarbale mention of longest forum game ever to push the game so we mau 1 day see t conclude

was cap survivor in this subforum? if it wasnt i oppose it being included
invitationals, 2d3, greek, and animals for NOCs then?

Nuxl

new message from your psychologist
is a Community Contributor
i would cut it b4 animals idk what reinforcements is
i hope you recover from your crossfit accident asap

there are 12 games in the last article and i count 17 in this list
does it matter how long the list is btw? but my votes for cutting NOCs would be like reinforcements > invitational v1 > animal > hope +1/2d3 > invitational v2 > greek myth

invitational v1 had a not great ending

i have the barebones summary of survivor III written up if you guys want that but it doesnt have any detail in it whatsoever lol

Close to final list. This is what I'm going to roll with unless there's any last second suggestions. I am fine with having more games because a couple with be short blurbs plus theoretically people can help write up some.

Greek myth - i think this about sums up my thoughts on this game thus i think it isn't interesting enough to include
Wayne Brady FFA - in
2d3 NOC - probably not
Hope +1 NOC - no
Animals NOC - yes
Reinforcements NOC - yes
CAP Survivor II - maybe/prob yes, depends if Heal wants to help
Survivor III, IV, V - brief blurb for V, in-depth for 3 and 4
Cyberpunk Mafia - yes
The Mafia Invitational (I & II) - yes
Vote Control Mafia - yes
Food Chain - i dont understand what happened this game and cba to figure out since it doesn't look interesting enough. talk to CB if he wants to write something though?
Smogon Puzzle Hunt - yes
Raiders of the Lost Mafia - yes
Parroting - yes
Build Your Own Mafia 2 - yes
Matrix Whatever - I think it's a more interesting town win than 2d3 which would warrant its inclusion over it
Genius Game - brief

Idk people seem to really like Greek so I would be ok throwing it in there. Funnily enough I would probably rather put Hope+1 in over it but I'm ok adding one of those two either way.

If you would like to write something please let me know, I am happy to let others write summaries, especially for games they will have greater knowledge than me of. https://www.smogon.com/articles/circus-recap-2017, here's last years if you wanna look at it for inspiration. I will probably reach out to people to.

I reserve the right to make final edits and whatever but other than that I'm open to pretty much everything. If you want access to the whole document (eg want to help with the overall direction of the article) let me know and I will help make that happen as well.

Reinforcements is a strange inclusion?
I think it was a better game than Greek is all...

Partly it's bias (not even that I played well, but more "I was in this game so I remember what happened.") I think it was more interesting in terms of the personalities that came together. With Greek I just feel (like I said in the post I linked) that the game was basically the mafia running over the village with their dominant personalities while the village just sat around gave up and died.

I can see where you would be coming from since a dominant mafia win is probably more "deserving" to be recapped than a town making active (and maybe bad) plays to lose, but I think reinforcements is more interesting from an outside perspective of "people tried to play this game and messed up and lost." That's not me trying to criticize them (I would rather people try and fail then roll over and die), but me wanting to reward players playing the game and losing because they happened to be wrong.

I do not feel strongly either way. I would even be ok throwing them both in and writing a short blurb for both. That works for me.

my pitch for greek is that
a). more happened in greek than in any other noc this year (not only because of its eclipsing length, but also because there was just much more madness and reads shifting and major game defining events)
b). you had a genuinely strong town led by asek and empoof who were both close to solving the game
c). compared to reinforcements and possibly any other noc this year, greek had a lot more funny and wacky moments that wasn't defined by bad town play. i don't even think town was bad in that game, i think they were just uncoordinated which created the illusion of an easy scum win, but really if you read through the game, all of scum thought the game was lost when asek gladiated fh on day 3

i also am not a fan of reinforcements because i genuinely feel like it was a won game for town that was pissed away by an energy/fh cross tunnel and so i have that game in the same column as lovers mafia

but having played in every noc this year outside of invitational i think greek warrants an inclusion as the most entertaining and honestly most strategic noc game this year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)