Resource 1v1 Tournaments and Projects Request Thread

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Basically copied from OM Tournament Queue and Approval Thread

This thread exists first as a way for the 1v1 community to request and host tournament ideas that aren't already covered by the 1v1 circuit, or projects such as Community-Create-A-Team.

Posting Rules and Format:
  • Post if you have an idea, you don't have to host/co-host but it is preferred if you do.
  • This is NOT the place for extensive discussion on other people's proposals. Constructive comments are acceptable, but 1v1 forum staff will have the final say on if a project will be approved/denied, and 1v1 TDs will have the final say on if a tournament will be approved/denied
  • If you want to assist with hosting a circuit tournament, this is not the place to post; instead, inform a 1v1 TD, and then they will get back to you.
Tournament proposals must follow this format:
Code:
[b]Tour Name[/b]: Self-explanatory
[b]Tour Host(s)[/b]: Your name, @Co-host 1, @co-host 2, etc. *Any co-hosts listed here MUST like your post to confirm they're committing to co-hosting. If you do not wish to host it, say so.
[b]Time Frame[/b]: How long each round will last, as well as the overall span of the tournament
[b]Hosting Experience[/b]: If you have experience, provide links to examples. Otherwise, what other Smogon experience do you have that you think helps prove that you would be a reliable host?
[b]Tour Description:[/b] General description including:
* [i]Style[/i]: Bo3, single elimination/round robin, team tour, etc
* [i]Banlist[/i]: List custom bans/unbans/clauses unique to the tournament here, if there are any
* [i]Justification[/i]: What should this tournament accomplish? Do you think people are interested in this concept?
Projects Proposal must follow this format:
Code:
[b]Project name[/b]: Self-explanatory
[b] Project Host(s)[/b]: Your name, @Co-host 1, @co-host 2, etc. *Any co-hosts listed here MUST like your post to confirm they're committing to co-hosting
[b]Hosting Experience[/b]: If you have experience, provide links to examples. Otherwise, what other Smogon experience do you have that you think helps prove that you would be a reliable host?
[b] Project Description:[/b] General description
1v1 TD team: DEG Rosa
1v1 Forum Mods: Here Comes Team Charm! Rosa smely socks

Last edited:

Elo Bandit

youtube.com/ EloBandit
is a Community Contributor
Tour Name: SM Live
Tour Host(s): Elo Bandit
Time Frame: 1 hour per round maximum, 3-4 hours total
Hosting Experience: Elo Bandit Discord SM 1v1 Tours
Tour Description:
* Style: SM 1v1 Bo5, double elimination
* Justification: Keep the SM 1v1 playerbase occupied without a ladder or ongoing team tour

deg - Integrated with Live Tour hosted by Stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

SiceXV

Banned deucer.
Tour Name: BLT Team Tour (Unofficial)
Tour Host(s): Find Some
Time Frame: 7 weeks (including playoffs)
Tour Description: Team tournament featuring players who qualify through the official tournaments in the 1v1 room on Pokemon Showdown.
Placing within the top 4 of a qualifier room tournament grants you leaderboard points, the 12 players with the most points from each cycle (1 week) qualify to be drafted in a snake draft. The metagames included in this tournament are as follows: 3 SS 1 SM 1 ORAS 1 BW or DPP. 6 managers 8 players each (could expand depending on interest), managers can't play in the tour. 5 weeks, 3 teams make playoffs and the 1st seed gets a bye.
* Style: Team Tour
* Banlist: None
* Justification: BLT is a good mix to incorporate the leaderboards meaning something and somewhat of a live aspect. This should give a lot of new players or people who want to try the tier out a good opportunity to experience and play in a team tour as there is no farm league in 1v1. You often see some players never get the chance to shine other than through some individuals or get drafted to PL or WCUP without team tour experience and play bad. Not all the mainers will play since it's unofficial which kind of guarantees new players to get drafted. Furthermore, you could implement a rule where players that played in PL and WCUP can't play the main tier they played in those tours. After WCUP 1v1 is quite dead and adding a fun team tour can not only liven up the community but, also try to develop old gens as well since there aren't many tours focusing on old gens. I propose to be added near majors since that tour is dead.

Last edited:
Tour Name: Old Gens Premier League
Tour Host(s): I don’t really know
Time Frame: 3 OR 5 Weeks including playoffs
Tour Description: Either 4 to 6 Teams compete and and it’s like normal pl but with 6 slots and older gens. Here’s what I was thinking
ORAS 1v1 Bo5
ORAS 1v1 Bo5
BW 1v1 Bo5
DPP 1v1 Bo5
ADV 1v1 Bo5
GSC 1v1 Bo5 (people play this format!!!)

So yea, I know it might bean issue finding slots but tbf it was like that for actual pl.

Trashuny

Banned deucer.
Tour Name: Don't have one yet
Tour Host(s): Me, and someone else with experience (DM me if you want to be a co-host)
Time Frame: Minimum 3 weeks for the swiss portion, and then however long a single elim bracket takes from there & a week or two for finals. This depends a lot on signup number, and also amount of people in each division.
Hosting Experience: Don't really have any, but I've played a lot of tours and pay attention.
Tour Description: The idea of my tournament is to have a swsh tour (other gens down the line if it goes well. gen 5 specifically needs more tours, Imo) where there's 3 divisions based on perceived skill level/experience. These 3 divisions have a swiss qualifications into single elim, where the 2-1 players from each division go into a single elimination bracket. There will basically be 3 brackets running simultaneously, where players consistently fight opponents who are at least somewhat near their skill level. At the end, the 3 winners of each division play in a round robin finals. This part is cool for having the best of the lower brackets fight a top player who has done good vs the other top players. The purpose of my tournament is to get newer players, who maybe ladder a lot or play friendly bo5s in the room (and link them, for some reason...) to get more familiar with tournaments and fight players with their skill level, more or less. With the swiss portion and divisions, matches will be very even, giving newer players a chance to prove themselves without just getting beaten out by someone who is more experienced than them. They will also have a second chance if they lose round 1. I also want to enforce public replays for at the bare minimum the lowest divison, to get them more familiar with scouting and counterteaming.

Can use the records spreadsheet for helping make divisions. Also thinking about having the player write a sentence or two about how experienced they are in 1v1 instead of just a simple "in", it would help a bit Imo.

deg - approved, will let you know timing when decided.

Tour Name: 1v1 Live Tournament
Tour Host(s): STABLE, given the nature of the tournament we'd probably be picking more hosts, but the details can be clarified later
Time Frame: The tournament would end up lasting a total of 9 weeks: 2 cycles of 3 weeks of live tournaments and 3 weeks of top 8 single elimination playoffs. This fits perfectly in the schedule by starting the first live tournament on the first week of ladder tournament playoffs, ending the qualification phase after the 6th week, starting playoffs during world cup pools phase and ending the tournament before world cup playoffs go up.
Hosting Experience: Multigen Seeded I, CAP 1v1 Start-up, BW 1v1 Kyubless, LC 1v1 Start-up, ADV 1v1 Cup IV, BW 1v1 Cup III
Tour Description: The tournament is structured as follows:
- First week, on the weekend, a total of 3 Live Tournaments, days and times specifically T.B.D., in the SS 1v1 Bo5 format. Single elimination
- Second week SM 1v1 Bo5
- Third week ORAS 1v1 Bo5
Fourth, fifth and sixth week will repeat the cycle for a total of 6 tournaments for each generation from 8 to 6.
The point distribution will be the standard one used for Smogon Tour and 1v1 Classic Cups, and every single tour played will be counted.
Players will only be able to sign up for 2 live tournaments out of 3 per weekend.
Playoffs will be in a Bo3o5 format (3 sets of 5 games), start with SS and loser picks next gen. Single Elimination
This tournament is routed towards valuing a different skillset than traditional smogon tournaments, more focused on picking and solid building than cteaming your opponent, while still maintaining the Bo5 format, unlike standard room tournaments.
This format has received a lot of support and was initially supposed to be in the circuit, but unfortunately ended up being cut for timing reasons and lack of a solid testing ground to see if the tournament can actually work.

deg - done

Project name: Team USA vs Team World
Project Host(s): Host to be decided
Hosting Experience: -
Project Description: This is a project that has been theorized in the past, but actually only been discussed upon properly fairly recently.
Format:
2 Teams
3 Captains per each team (the captains can also play)
16 playable slots: 1 SS Bo7, 5 SS Bo5, 4 SM Bo5, 2 ORAS Bo5, 2 BW Bo5, 1 DPP Bo5, 1 MG Bo5
The captains will be slotting their best players in their respective slots and then clashing in a Best of 3 Team Battle, with 1 Week deadline.
This project would only take 2 or 3 weeks, so it could feasibly fit during the Ladder Tournament cycles.

Only posting this here so that we actually remember to do this

deg - approved, will let you know timing when decided.

Tour Name: 1v1 Tag Thief Tournament
Tour Host(s): STABLE
Time Frame: This is a single elimination team tournament, comparing to the last TTT it would normally take around 5 weeks, more or less.
Hosting Experience: -
Tour Description: This tournament is near identical to the popular Tag Team Tournament, but with an added twist: stealing players.
Players can sign up in teams of 3 however they like, then said teams get shuffled into a bracket and get put against each other to play in 3 tiers.
SS Bo5 is a guaranteed slot, while each team picks one slot from an available list (potentially SS-ADV Bo5 + MG) and the two teams fight each other in a 3v3 Team Battle.
The team that wins 2 out of 3 of the games advances, BUT if the third player from the team gets defeated, they get replaced by the player they got defeated by. This means that every team that wins their round 2-1 will have their losing player replaced.
This is a tournament that aims to mix and mash teams together to create interesting synergies and most importantly that aims to advance only the best players to the next round.
To avoid fights between teammates for which tier to pick and where to slot each player, each team will have a selected captain that decides everything, and if the captain is defeated, the replacing player becomes the new team captain.

By the finals of the tournament, only the undefeated players will remain standing, and the 3 winning players of the finals will be the crowned champions. The objective is to have the most hype and competitive final possible.

bilb owo

Banned deucer.
Tour Name: Single Elimination Gen 7 True 1v1
Tour Host(s): Me/ anyone who might want to help
Time Frame: 1 week per round, total time frame obviously depends on applicants
Hosting Experience: None but you gotta start somewhere lol
Tour Description: Teams of only one Gen 7 1v1 legal pokemon. Sets are bo5 except for finals which is a bo7. I think it would let what is generally just considered a meme format become a bit more competitive.
Added Banlist: Shedinja

deg - Not really a thing we want to host, try again with another idea.

everyone on the individuals sheet with 0 points (prob not including act) is invite
Project name: 1v1 losers circuit championship
Project Host(s): staff/me
Time Frame: during champs
Hosting Experience: gsc live tours
Project Description: lowest 16 on individuals sheet that actually have points (not including act) are invited back to play. Could be an issue getting people so just pm them, give them a day to respond then move on up. These people play in single/delim and the overall winner plays the winner of normal champs (just for fun). This would be unofficial and would be funny to watch.

Project name: SS 1v1 Teambuilding Competition
Project Host(s): Host: kalifguest22, Co-host: YeetYolk07
Hosting Experience: I don't have any experience with this, but I'd figure to give it a try. I feel like I could get used to it since I've seen a lot of other projects, so I understand the gist of how they work.
Project Description: A host will give you a Pokemon, and your job is to build around that requested Pokemon. The teams will then be voted on, and a winner will be determined.

Yo we never responded oops but I think for the time being there isn't really enough interest to keep this going for very long. Feel free to try again probably after SV if there's genuine interest from the community -smely

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tour Name: 1v1 Trios Tour of the Ancients
Tour Host(s): Euphonos (tagging DPP co-leader PA, ADV leader LRXC, and GSC leader SuperMemeBroz if potentially interested)
Time Frame: Open for suggestions (most likely either during World Cup of 1v1 Playoffs or during 1v1 Classic Playoffs); lasting for five weeks

Hosting Experience: While it may be my first time hosting a 1v1 tournament/project, I have hosted numerous projects/tournaments in other metagames, such as Iron Chef Camomons Deluxe, Camomons Isle of Armor Launch Tournament, and USUM UU Viability Tournament.

Tour Description: This tournament will be way similar to the 1v1 Tag Team Tournament; however, the metagames covered will only be DPP, ADV, and GSC. There will be a 32-team cap; there will be Round 0 if team sign-ups exceed 16.
* Style: Best of 5 (for each metagame), Single Elimination.
* Banlist: Standard banlist for each metagame
* Justification: Due to these metagames being ditched in official team tours by virtue of overwhelming recency biases and the introduction of Multigen, there should be a platform like this team tournament to promote . m e t a g a m e . d e v e l o p m e n t . given there are still opportunities for such metagames to improve.

Last edited:

Singing_Sam

Banned deucer.
Tour Name: 1v1 ADV Camomons Open
Tour Host(s): Singing_Sam, Co-host: Clasmia
Time Frame: 2 Week Sign up period. Each round will be 1 week and the overall time span depends on the turnout.
Hosting Experience: None this will be the first tournament I am hosting.
Tour Description:
* Style: Bo5
* Banlist: Salamence, Celebi, ADV 1v1 Banlist.
* Justification: This tour is to help build and expand the ADV 1v1 Camomons Community and its player base. The tour will also have cash prizes 75 for first, 25 for second, and 10 for third and fourth.

Tour Name: BDSP No Johns
Tour Host(s): me
Time Frame: Champs?
Hosting Experience: GSC Startup
Tour Description: some BDSP mons are actually viable now so it’d be interesting to see people play in a tier that hasn’t even been developed yet and people can build their own shit for once (BDSP 1v1 isn’t a challengable format but there is a custom code for it)

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tour Name: 1v1 BST Limit II
Tour Host(s): Arai
Time Frame: Previous one took like 7 weeks w/ signups
Hosting Experience: I havent counted but its a lot
Tour Description: Single elimination. Pretty much identical to the previous BST Limit. Each round has a randomly generated number from 600 to 1900 that will be the BST that each player's teams must either be less than or equal to.

Project name: Period Cup
Project Host(s): Swag god
Hosting Experience: No
Project Description: Tour where every week is a different period of ss 1v1, this means ur unable to use things added since, bans since then are unbanned. Periods will go by names like "Post X ban","Pre X ban".

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tour Name: 1v1 Monothreat
Tour Host(s): Arai
Time Frame: Probably like 7 weeks w/ signups (64 signups)
Hosting Experience: My profile lol
Tour Description: This is a Monotype format where each round would have 5 randomized typings listed in which each player in a series must bring the same types for that battle. Each round would have a default typing that starts each series, where the loser could choose which typing from the list that they play next (both players are required to bring the same typing as the other for each battle). I find this to be an interesting concept as it forces players to think differently and build for very specific threats and pokemon that counter their own type.

Tour Name: SV 1v1 Kickoff Tour
Tour Host(s): Lumii
Time Frame: Starting around the end of November, one week for each round. It really depends on how many signups it gets.
Hosting Experience: I've hosted BW No Johns III, ORAS No Johns I, and the SS Divisions Tour. In the RoA forum, I have also hosted a the Nintendo Cup '97 Spotlight in September 2022, RBY PL III, and RoA Olympics VII. I have also hosted during Smogon Tour 34. I am currently hosting GSC PL III and the ORAS Ubers Spotlight for November 2022.
Tour Description: Just a regular tour to start off SV 1v1! It should be hosted right after we get SV 1v1 to be playable on the main server.
* Style: Single-elimination, rounds are a single week in length!
* Banlist: Basically whatever the council decides to quickban!
* Justification: SV 1v1 would probably need development before bigger circuit tours, so this would be a nice way to start off the new generation of 1v1 and develop the metagame a little bit before we hit things like Global Cup (or whatever is planned to be the first tour this year)

Last edited:
Tour Name: 1v1 Ghosting Tour II
Tour Host(s): Fleeting Memories (me), Itchy
Time Frame: Takes about 5 weeks, including signups (assuming 16-24 teams).
Hosting Experience: I personally have basically no hosting experience (hosted 1 2v2 live tour back god knows how long ago, but that was like 3-4 people playing so doesn't count). Itchy on the other hand has quite a bit of experience, co-hosting BW No Johns III, hosting a few of the live tournaments during 1v1 Live and also hosting the Monopoke tournament.
Tour Description: Teams of 3 with captains of said teams playing a bo5 in SS 1v1 (assuming SS is still CG by the time signups are out, aim is to have it be in whatever gen is CG when signups are out), ghosted by their teammates. Single Elimination, 1 round = 1 week long.

Tour Name: 1v1 Ladder Peak Tournament
Tour Host(s): Anyone idk if I cba to host this but I find the idea cool
Time Frame: whenever, we could host it start of SV to develop metagame which would be cool
Hosting Experience: Multigen Seeded I, CAP 1v1 Start-up, BW 1v1 Kyubless, LC 1v1 Start-up, ADV 1v1 Cup IV, BW 1v1 Cup III, 1v1 Live I
Tour Description: 1v1 Ladder Tournament's format, where the top 4 of ladder at the end of the cycle qualify to the playoffs, is very strange: the qualification phase ends up boiling down to "keep laddering until u hit a decent number then just sit idly and try to snipe or get one battle every now and then to not lose your peak". It endorses waiting around and sniping and praying you get the right MU at the very end and it's a lot of fuckery with the ending timer and timerstalling etc.

in 1v1 Ladder Peak Tournament at the end of each cycle the players will have to provide proof of their highest ELO in that cycle. The Top 4 ELO peaks then qualify. This endorses players to go above and beyond and keep fighting tooth and nail to get the highest elo possible. Rewards consistency and effort over a longer period of time over a stroke of luck within the last hour

I don't think this tournament would gather enough sustained interest for 4 cycles so the proposal is two 1 week cycles with top 4 qualifiers, top 8 playoffs

Tour Name: 1v1 Old Gens Swiss Tournament
Tour Host(s): Anyone idk if I cba to host this but I find the idea cool
Time Frame: whenever the hell you want this should last like 2 months or so
Hosting Experience: Multigen Seeded I, CAP 1v1 Start-up, BW 1v1 Kyubless, LC 1v1 Start-up, ADV 1v1 Cup IV, BW 1v1 Cup III, 1v1 Live I
Tour Description: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-swiss-stage-1-week-3.3709082/ think this but with old gens. Yeah it's that easy. The way they do playoffs is that the first format is picked with !pick but we can adopt the striking system we already have in classic which would maybe be better

Tour Name: 1v1 Wars
Tour Host(s): me
Time Frame: i don’t pay attention to tournament timeframes anymore
Hosting Experience: ye (I guess)
Tour Description: Each player is given one of two Pokémon to use on their team, catch is they can’t use the other one (these will be UR mons) and whoever has a certain mon will be divided in 2 groups and each group will have a pool like majors. Top 2 of each pool (or top 8 of each group) will face off on a single elim styled format and the last remaining players of each group will face off in the grand finals

Akeras

We've got to get in to get out
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Tour Name: 1v1 Rainbow League
Tour Host(s): Akeras and Itchy
Time Frame: 2 or 3 weeks for pools phase and after one week per round of play offs. Signups starting on december, like lid d
Hosting Experience: 1v1 ABC wich is at the loser semis stade, and AAA LC wich is ended
Tour Description: : Its a tournament on mono color format, each player is reparted on different pool, each pool has an attribuated color. At the end of the pools, the top 2/3, depend of the number of ins and pools, is qualified, and there is play-offs after, double elim type, and its all. Maybe i add some money, i'm not sure atm.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)