Other 1v1 Tournament Policy Discussion Thread

With the 2023 circuit setting down, it is time for 2024 circuit to take its place. It is no secret the motor behind 1v1 have been its tournaments and we will capitalize more on that. Below will be envisioned changes that are being planned;

Majors: Pools to Swiss Top Cut
As a concept majors was a pretty good format, it gives the players more chances and it's definitely less punishing than other formats. However, in practice its a tournament that is dragged too long for no reason, there's no way to have fair tiebreaks, and it's not a popular format. Which is why we are rebranding the tournament from a Pools to Swiss Top Cut. The latter is a popular format in tournaments and would still give more chances to the players without the potential tiebreak and mass games numbers thrown at the player.

1v1 LT: Double Elimination to Swiss Top Cut
To mirror the 1v1 Champs changes, we will be changing 1v1 LT to Swiss Top Cut instead of Double Elimination. The latter "problems" are known, it's a time consuming format that rarely affect anything winner-wise, it's just a hopium format. Most of the time players that are out early; i.e R1 do not have the motivation to go forward which is extremely unhealthy and uncompetitive for the format. Changing it to Single Elimination might be a solution but it's more punishing than Swiss early on.

1v1 Classic: Points in cups
Changing cups to Swiss or Double Elimination would make the tournament too long and makes it clash with the majority of the circuit, specially since the cups are supposed to be run same time. The old gens circuit was supposed to be a solution but I think that doesn't really reflect Classic as a tournament and it would be a year-long tournament which lessens its hype. My solution is to mimic grand slam and to not make every cup count for the overall standings. This way people that get unlucky runs in some cups aren't punished plus it favors specializing in some generations and not have a bit of knowledge in everything. Format being Single Elim 3 bo5 would not change.

I've heard from several/many people that too much tournaments are hindering contributions and promoting OGPL or even having more tournaments would be worse for the community. I believe we should not promote to OGPL to official but hang tight, with the potential 1v1 old gens, and 1v1 as a whole to grow, we should continue adding more tournaments to the mix with lower importance than officials. Let me explain;

Recognizing our winners is something that should be done, therefore the creation of Class B tournaments which is above unofficial but below official should be done. This class of tournaments should reward not trophies but stars or any other pixel similar to trophy. It would contain OGPL, Classic Cups, and other tournaments we should add.

Old generation circuit
The circuit would run alongside the main champs circuit however it would only count type B tournaments such as Classic, OGPL, and more old generations individual tournaments. This would be a mix of both, keep classic as a tournament and give more to old generation lovers that play cause they enjoy the game.

1v1 Room & Circuit integration
We're looking at ways to build a bridge between the casual play encouraged in the 1v1 room, and the more competitive tournament community. Nothing is set in stone as of now, especially when it comes to date and logistics, but we're looking at an individual tournament similar to LT. The key difference here is that the qualifiers would be room tournaments, rather than ladder achievements. I don't think we're ready to make this a team tournament for various reasons (primarily manager motivation, having no measure for popularity, and logistical uncertainty), but we might revisit that decision in the future.

I hope these changes will be well-received and if there's any other idea / opinion, let me know.

1v1 Room & Circuit integration
We're looking at ways to build a bridge between the casual play encouraged in the 1v1 room, and the more competitive tournament community. Nothing is set in stone as of now, especially when it comes to date and logistics, but we're looking at an individual tournament similar to LT. The key difference here is that the qualifiers would be room tournaments, rather than ladder achievements. I don't think we're ready to make this a team tournament for various reasons (primarily manager motivation, having no measure for popularity, and logistical uncertainty), but we might revisit that decision in the future.

I hope these changes will be well-received and if there's any other idea / opinion, let me know.
I would love to see room tours made into Bo3, like how VGC has done. If it’s possible of course. I think that’d be really fun, really no other reasoning beyond that

Murm

formerly Murman
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I would love to see room tours made into Bo3, like how VGC has done. If it’s possible of course. I think that’d be really fun, really no other reasoning beyond that
Unless they've changed it, the Bo3 PS thing doesn't allow you to change your team inbetween games, which for 1v1 is very important. If they change that in the future maybe its something that can be done but for now it probably won't happen

With the announcement of the 2024 circuit, it is time to re-open discussions here slowly.

1) What are your thoughts on the new GC format for top 8? Is it a good change or should we wait for the tournament to judge it.
2) What about franchising OGPL? The idea behind it would be creating a "pool" of team names that can help in replacing/switching with PL franchises too. Basically it would allow more freedom in team names for PL for future editions and introduce franchises into OGPL.

1. Wait until tournament happens to judge although personally I’m a bit skeptical about adding effectively three top cuts to the champs qualification tours in the same year without ever really testing it before.
2. Franchising OGPL seems cool because it opens up stuff like relegations and stuff from PL. That seems fun.

DripLegend

is a Forum Moderator
Don’t make so many tours a Swiss finish lmao. Like lt could be fine since other tours do the same but if we’re that worried about se not being inherently competitive/cheese prone just make the series bo7. The only formats we support for most of the circuit outside of team tours and Classic is a standard of bo5, which is fine but it being the core for the higher echelon of team tours and players it should see more use in our individual circuit tours. Ideally combining with single elim structure (like champs should ideally be). I feel like we shouldn’t go overboard introducing the new toy of Swiss finishes into a lot of tours since it’s “more competitive” since people suddenly got tired of double elim.
And to answer the previous questions:
1. Leave gc the way it is. The structure as of rn is fine and the structure is inherently competitive/doesn’t take super long to carry out playoffs. Like lumii said we don’t need a top cut for nearly all of the tours to qual for champs.
2. idrc for franchising so either way it doesn’t matter much to me. I think there’s a lot of appeal in being able to start new franchises/teams with fun names so I feel like that aspect should always be on the table even if we keep franchises. Especially with the amount of new managers we see since it’s a lot more friendly to newcomers.

With the announcement of the 2024 circuit, it is time to re-open discussions here slowly.

1) What are your thoughts on the new GC format for top 8? Is it a good change or should we wait for the tournament to judge it.
2) What about franchising OGPL? The idea behind it would be creating a "pool" of team names that can help in replacing/switching with PL franchises too. Basically it would allow more freedom in team names for PL for future editions and introduce franchises into OGPL.
Since people don't like posting; https://forms.gle/ace21N8WZooqBLKFA

Please, find below points that I would like to discuss regarding format changes for this circuit and/or next year's. The survey is still open for responses to allow us to take better decisions. I understand that some changes may be unpopular and the process has been slow but I'm working on something to fasten the process.

Anyway, I would like to bring up the following changes for the future;

• Swiss Playoffs, honestly I do like them, they take less time than DE and actually provide a balance between hype in every series and give chances, however I can see that they're not popular and some people want to go back to DE. Well, I think if people want to move away from Swiss we should def go to SE and implement a bo7 or bo9. I truly believe DE as a format is p bad and has no "meaning". Additionally, even if we keep Swiss I would also like the top 8 or w/e (single elim round) to be moved to a bo7 or bo9 to award consistency and actually the "better" player. I would advance a bo3o5 for finals too for the "show" but I think it's a very unpopular opinion and it would cause more burnout.

• Masters, well, going with the DE hate train I think the format of this tournament is really painful and long for no reason. I would def. replace masters with 2 tournaments rewarding consistency and more chances for circuit playoffs. We can keep it simple and go SE for both of these tournaments, however we can also do pools+swiss (swiss in pools remove the factor of TB in the pools system), and the second would be simple SE. I truly believe two tournaments is better than one long DE for the sake of the circuit poffs competitiveness and to reward more consistent players.

• I would like to brand OGPL teams, I'll share results later but the responses were mostly Abstain/In-Favor of OGPL. We didn't have enough time to come up with "great" names for this year and follow the long process so I decided to keep status quo. However, I would love to start the branding process for next circuit and reconsider OGPL place as official in our circuit if needed. Also I'm open to reconsider OGPL drafting format AND playoffs format (ie round robin, belgian league format etc...) if we're going to keep 6 teams.
My goal remains the same, allow the community to enjoy competitive 1v1 from one side, and draw more users to our community. Your opinion as a community member is highly valuable whether you're a tournament connoisseur or a new addition to our tournament scene. So please, let me know what you think whether its in the survey, a small post, or a detailed post here. I will try my best to keep in mind what the community wants but please understand that I cannot make everyone happy.

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)