Announcement 1v1 Suspect #8 - Necrozma Quickban and Retest

Status
Not open for further replies.

clerica

fly me up to Jupiter
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:ss/necrozma:

After reading what the community had to say in the On The Radar thread and much discussion, the 1v1 council has decided to quickban Necrozma and immediately suspect test it for a potential unban. Essentially this means that Necrozma will be suspect tested and available to use on ladder, but will be banned from ongoing tournaments such as PL and GC similar to what UU did with Latias.

Reasoning:
Necrozma has been on the rise ever since the Zygarde-Complete ban with new sets beginning to see use on ladder such as Power Herb, Choice Band, and Dragon Dance. These sets allowed Necrozma to counter what were previously seen as checks such as Volcarona and Hydreigon, but going into PL the question was whether or not these sets were actually going to be used. A few weeks into PL it is safe to say that these sets have been seeing use, and some new sets such as Toxic stall Necrozma have emerged as well. This leaves Necrozma with very few ultra consistent counters such as Urshifu and Moltres-Galar which in a team tour environment such as PL, makes building increasingly difficult as players try to balance between avoiding being repetitive while building and consistently beating Necrozma. We have even seen an increase in usage of previously thought of as unviable pokemon like Krookodile and Umbreon as an attempt to find new and creative ways of handling Necrozma. As such, it was decided that something had to be done about Necrozma, and in order to keep it from impacting PL more than it needs to the council decided to quickban Necrozma.

That being said, Necrozma is not a perfect pokemon. Many of its matchups are set dependent as we have seen with it losing to things you would expect it to beat multiple times this PL such as Volcanion and Tapu Koko. So while Necrozma has the ability to beat almost everything, it can only cover so much in a single set. It also has a variety of somewhat reliable checks that beat most sets such as Tyranitar and Togekiss which if used together can cover all sets with set guessing. This is why many people are also opposed to a hard quickban. For this reason, the council decided to also suspect test Necrozma for a potential unban as well.

For this suspect test, we will be using the regular 1v1 ladder, so you must create a new account that begins with 1NEC to qualify. Necrozma will be legal on the ladder. The Deadline for the Necrozma Suspect is Thursday, March 10th, 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5)

This suspect shall be reusing the sliding scale system from the prior suspects, being:
GXEMinimum Games
The way this works is that the minimum game requirement is reduced by 1 game for every 0.3 GXE you have above 75 GXE, down to a minimum of 35 games with a GXE of 79.5 or above, with the absolute minimum GXE requirement being 75%, with at least 50 games played.

As always the normal rules of suspect tests apply. Disallowed behaviors include things like boosting other accounts, attempting to vote with multiple accounts, intentionally losing against suspect participants, coercing an opponent to lose, playing games in a voice call, sharing accounts, and trading/buying/selling/giving away suspect ladder accounts. Cheating will not be tolerated and anyone caught cheating will be disqualified and potentially infracted.

You must use a fresh account registered after the posting of this thread for your reqs. This alt must begin with 1NEC, e.g. 1NEC smely

Additionally, we will be implementing a procedure used by other tiers where suspect reqs will be verified by the 1v1 Tier Leaders / subforum moderators. With this in mind:
  • DO NOT LOAD UP MORE GAMES AFTER GETTING REQS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN VERIFIED!
  • Once verified, your post will be edited with you being notified of the verification.
  • If you load up more games before being verified and end up losing your qualifying GXE, your post will be deleted and you will have to qualify again.
If you have achieved the voting requirements, CLICK HERE.

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind these rules:
1. No one liners or uninformed posts
2. No discussion on other potential suspects or the suspect process
3. Be respectful

Your post will be deleted and possibly infracted if you fail to follow them. Have fun!

Also tagging Kris in case anything needs to be implemented. Since Necrozma will stay legal on ladder the banlist is fine as is

Last edited:

recti

formerly Arvinraj K III C
im too busy to create a new alt but ik my vote dosent count since i am not 75 gxe on 1nec but im 65% gxe on Arvinraj K III C and arvinxmas
ban it. idc if smely takes this as a vote or not but im just here to tell my opinion. and the 65%gxe 95% of that 65% was me using necrozma

Last edited:
I've been playing 1v1 for a few months now and I've always been drawn to one pokemon, Necrozma.
This Not-Ultra Beast is in the RUBL tier for SW/SH singles, which is essentially UU at this point as it cannot be used in the RU tier.
It has pretty good bulk and can hit hard with its 127 Base Special Attack, or even its 107 Base Attack. It can run many things, from Dragon Dance to Power Herb+Meteor Beam, or in my case, Prismatic Laser+Choice Specs. It has 79 Base Speed which allows it to be a tad faster than other Pokemon if you invest in it but at this point, you may as well give those EV investments to another stat, like its HP stat or one of its attacks so that it can survive and hit harder another turn.
So now my main point is, should Necrozma be banned?
This Pokemon literally dominates the majority of the format, and this is because of its wide range to cover so many typings. It can learn moves from almost any type, so that means if your STAB move doesn't work out, you can still use another move to make the matchup work.

ShinyRock (Necrozma) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Prismatic Laser
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

This set is just an example, but there are so many more out there. Its Prismatic Laser Hits super hard at 160 damage with 100 percent accuracy, with the drawback being a recharge, but if you OHKO your opponent first hit, that doesn't really matter, now does it?
And for those types that Psychic can't hit as hard on, you still have that large movepool to give you a huge advantage.
There are however counters to this Nontra Beast (An attempt to smush together Non and Ultra together, it doesn't work very well), which include things like Mirror Coat users. A faster Pokemon that can easily break down Necrozma's Defense's, like Darmanitan using Flare Blitz. If you use a Special Set, Pokemon that are Special Walls like Chansey will immediately take the damage and chip you down. A Single-Strike Urshifu. PP Stallers (Is there a better way to say that?). Or even a Hatterenne spamming Mystical Fire to the point where your Demonic Rock thing just becomes all buff to all bluff.
So with all that in mind, should Necrozma really be banned?
Honestly, I don't want it to be, it has literally carried me through so many victories that now I'm getting sad over the potential of a Pokemon getting banned. But honestly, this Nontra (there I go again) tears apart so much of this format. The Pros outweigh the Cons, and Necrozma is very strong, and should probably ascend to the higher level with the other Legends that are there.

BUT HEY. WHO CARES? LET'S MAKE THIS NONTRA (final time I promise) STAY IN THE METAGAME AS LONG AS WE CAN POSSIBLY ALLOW IT.
I love this Nontra (hehe) so much, and banning it would leave a Necrozma shaped hole in my Necrozma shaped heart. And with that, what do you all think about this banning? Are you going to grind as many points as you can to climb up the ladder, or are you going to grind and vote for Necrozma's stay? I'm doing both currently, and I hope this amazing Mon doesn't get banned.

but how is it under suspect im shocked tho but i has advantages like calm mind and moonlight might make it win but it has easy ways to knock it out so i disagree for it to be banned

recti

formerly Arvinraj K III C
but how is it under suspect im shocked tho but i has advantages like calm mind and moonlight might make it win but it has easy ways to knock it out so i disagree for it to be banned
easy to knock out dude it has 107 defence ur not gona take out with a superefective atack and unless ur a dark type u die next turn its busted and as evil icing on the cake due to the lack of viable dark types in the tier .you call that easy to knock out

Last edited:
just wanted to talk about necrozma sets and their counterplay.

hax nihilego (Necrozma) @ Life Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 96 Def / 140 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Prismatic Laser
- Psyshock / Substitute
- Heat Wave / Substitute

timid specs (Necrozma) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Prismatic Laser
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Power Gem

cb (Necrozma) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 40 Def / 96 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake / Rock Blast
- Brick Break
- Outrage

dd (Necrozma) @ Life Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 140 Atk / 96 Def / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Photon Geyser
- Dragon Dance / Swords Dance

antitoge (Necrozma) @ Power Herb
EVs: 168 HP / 140 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Substitute / Earth Power
- Prismatic Laser
- Heat Wave

SpD Specs (Necrozma) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 168 HP / 104 SpA / 236 SpD
Modest Nature
- Prismatic Laser
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse

Pokemon that can beat special attacking Necrozma
:zeraora: needs to run fake out + charge for ok rolls.
:darmanitan-galar: unless its obese you're in the clear
:rillaboom:the goat av set

Pokemon that can beat stall necrozma and special attacking necrozma
:suicune:pressure stall
:raikou:pressure stall
:hydreigon:its a dark type weak to necrozma's coverage

Pokemon that can beat all necrozma
:urshifu: dark type
:moltres-galar: dark type
:krookodile: dark type
:grimmsnarl: dark type
:weavile: dark type
:zarude: I don't believe in hard mu fishing for zarude only with x-scizzor, waste of a slot.
:porygon-z: (timid specs), I don't believe in av necrozma, though custap perhaps can cheese, but its purely theoretical.
:regidrago: needs specific and extensive EV-ing with an AV.
:togekiss: maranga wins until necrozma starts running fast sub on meteor beam.
:kyurem: noble roar wins right. Idk what u do vs sd but just bank on no one running that.

Sus Mus:
:spectrier: you need to sack the pokemon, standard sets lose to meteor beam and life orb necroma or psyshock.
:tyranitar: now this is a tricky matchup but most any brick break necrozma should do well against it, I've even seen mixed specs sets. Even chople counter can lose to SD life orb necrozma.
:tapu lele: loses to psyshock LOL. a weird mu depending on bulk/speed/items.

Pokemon that think they beat necrozma but really don't:
:incineroar: meteor beam LOL, gn.
:tapu fini: loses to life orb unless you get 8 50/50s in a row correct, and can mispredict versus band and dragon dance and pay a huge price.
:entei: gm power gem and meteor beam + earth power.
:volcarona: as has been seen in tour u get rock blasted by band, and even meteor beam necrozma wins vs it.
:pheromosa: prism armor is balanced and modest specs is rolls vs bulky variants.
:sylveon: LOL, between sub, psyshock, cm life orb, gg sylveon
:chansey: cm life orb just wins

Prism Armor too stronk.
I like necrozma as a pokemon, it has great set diversity and EV potential, and it isn't unbeatable. However, it has a large amount of good sets that beat most intuitive counterplay. Specs + stall on its own is a strong combination but with more widespread use of sets that abuse its great ability and longevity to tank basically any one hit it has become overbearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)