Announcement 1v1 Room - Info and Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator

1v1 Room - Info and Announcements
Approved by Itchy

Hello and welcome to the 1v1 room announcements thread. This is where you can find all the fun information about what goes on in the 1v1 room, as well as announcements for changes and ✨ special ✨ events. Things will start off empty in here, but we'll be doing our very best to bring exciting new changes to the 1v1 room that should prove fun for everyone involved, and we'll be posting all about them there.

1v1 Official Tournaments
With DLC release and the room being in a transitional phase right now, we thought it'd be a good time to revamp our official tournament system. Historically, there's been a lot of manual tweaking the schedule as 1v1 activity grew, and 1v1 progressively got more daily tournaments, but as interest in the 1v1 room and Pokémon as a whole have dwindled over the past year, we've realised that manually tweaking to done down the tournaments isn't the way to go.

Our solution is to run a prototype of a hybrid tournament schedule. You're still going to get your 3 scheduled tours a day, at 03:00, 15:00, and 21:00, which try to balance current and past gen tournaments (yes old gen enthusiasts, we tried our best to schedule an opportunity to play your favourite tier at least once a week!). All other tours are removed, and replaced with a rudimentary automated system that gauges the need for an official tour based on room activity and general tournament frequency. This means if the room is quiet, or staff is actively generating more casual tournaments, official tournaments will not be started. However, if the room is bustling with activity, and staff hasn't made many tours that day, official tournaments will be generated to fill in the gaps.

Tournament schedule
Code:
Time(EDT)-|-Mon|Tues|-Wed|Thur|-Fri|-Sat|-Sun|
09:00 AM--|GSC-|SV--|SV--|ADV-|SV--|SV--|SV--|
03:00 PM--|SV--|DP--|SV--|SV--|BW--|SV--|SWSH|
09:00 PM--|SV--|SV--|ORAS|SV--|SV--|USUM|SV--|
I've simply run the math on half a year of data, and picked 3 of the 4 most active slots to keep. I decided to keep the most active slot to myself, both to spread out tours a little for our Asian friends, but also because I need that slot for something that you'll hopefully hear about soon enough~

Randomly generated tournaments can have any format, current or past gen, but will prefer to generate current gen tournaments.

Future plans
As for this tournament system, it'll need some tweaking. Maybe the time between tournaments is too great, or not big enough. Maybe this is creating way too many tournaments, there's simply no good way to know. One plan for the coming months is to keep monitoring and tweaking this system. We also have at least two other ideas in the works to make the room more interesting. If you're interested in knowing more about them, you should totally consider watching this thread, since you'll be the first to know!

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator

Officials Retrospective, PotD, and more!

It's been slightly over a month since my first post and I think that means it's time for a bit of retrospective on how we're doing. Let's start with looking back at Official Tours and the changes made there.

Looking back
So overall it seems like the changes to official tours and general change of commitment to the room were a huge success. December doubled November's activity numbers, and it's looking like January will triple November, which is absolutely insane. I haven't heard any feedback that the new official tours system feels unfair or unbalanced, which is really good because I was worried about that initially.

However, not everything is perfect. Although randomly generating tours when the room is "active" sounds like a good idea in theory, in practise it means you need a decent function of room activity, which the bot currently doesn't have. Right now, it makes tournaments 250 messages after the last one (with at least a 1.5 hour gap), which leads to a problem: What if 249 messages are sent, and then message 250 is sent 2 hours later? Now, despite the system thinking the room is active, it's actually a dumbass and makes a tour in dead hours. BUMMER

That's why the next step on the road to improvement here will be to fix that system, you don't need to worry about that, I'm just telling you so you're aware I'm working on something better. When it's done I'll let you all know so we can start testing and gathering feedback and make 1v1 tours the best they can possibly be.

Pokémon of the Day
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing Pokémon of the Day! If you've been around the 1v1 room at all over the past month you'll have noticed our daily PotD. Every night at midnight UTC, a random Pokémon is selected out of a pool of 1v1-legal semi-viable options, which is periodically announced in the 1v1 room. As of now, that is all there is to the PotD sike there's MONOPOKE. Twice a day, at 5am and 5pm UTC, a monopoke tournament is made for the PotD. The great thing about this is that because you know the PotD in advance, you have all day to build your monopoke strategy, adding a little bit of a deeper layer to monopoke skill.

With that out of the way, that is actually all there is to PotD, but there are plans in the works to do more with it. First of all, I'm still working on logistics and planning and this has kinda faded into the background a little bit, but I'd love to open PotD set submissions where you can have your best sets (both for monopoke and for real gameplay) highlighted for the world to see and take inspiration from. On top of that, I'm thinking real hard about how I can motivate people to actually use PotD on ladder. It's a bit too early to give you any conclusive plans to this end, but hopefully you'll hear more about that sometime next month!

Room Events
In addition to all of the above, impromptu roomevents may be hosted and may even replace official tournaments. The first example of this is a Community Create-A-Team hosted by kenn last week, with another on the way soon. If you have ideas for room events or would like to lead one yourself, reach out to any room staff member, and we'll see if we can work with you to make it happen!

That's all for now!
:sv/swadloon:
Hope you have a wonderful time in the 1v1 room, and stay tuned for more updates and exciting plans soon! Much love from your friendly neighbourhood shitposter and RO! Felu out o7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)