Tournament 1v1 Old Gens Premier League I - Tournament Discussion

I believe we did miss the mark on giving this tournament an identity by recycling last year's slot, and I do understand the concerns. By taking a look at our current playerbase, I believe that there's two ways we can fix this.

1) SS Bo7, SS, SM (Bo7???), SM, ORAS, BW, DPP ADV. Bo7 can be bo5 not really a problem.
2) SS, SS, SM, SM, ORAS, ORAS, BW, BW.

I do not believe GSC should be in this tournament since I don't think it really has a distinctive playerbase yet that separates itself from other gens. I do like the first option, but incase DPP/ADV get no support/no signups we can go with option 2.
option 1 it is

Murm

formerly Murman
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
GSC 1v1 should absolutely be in OGPL.

Now Bandit already mentioned the player base, and I would like to follow up on that. GSC Cup had 32 signups. Now this doesn't sound that impressive on paper, but GSC Cup was going on during Classic, and didn't have points going towards Classic. The fact that 32 people decided to sign up for a tour that didn't count for the big official tour that was going on, and spent time prepping for GSC instead of other gens, says something. The list of users that signed up also shows that it isn't a dead gen. A lot of these users are big 1v1 names, and while many of these may play another gen, it shows that GSC 1v1 has at least a decent player base.

I don't want to trash on DPP too hard, all I will say is that the playerbase is much smaller, and I believe that many people wouldn't want to play the slot if they were needed for it.

I believe the optimal slots are 2 SS, 2 SM, 1 ORAS, 1 BW, 1 ADV, and 1 GSC. I believe that the gen skip is made up for the quality of GSC over DPP. Saying 1 liners about how the gen is dogshit does not change that it has a solid player base, and it has a lot of support. If there was a nineth slot, I would 100% support DPP, but since we are limited to eight, GSC 1v1 should be in OGPL over DPP.

Edit: Fsr people don't want to skip gens, so instead cut an SS or more likely SM slot. I think gen skipping leads to better slotting but if people desperately want DPP this works too

Last edited:
GSC 1v1 should absolutely be in OGPL.

Now Bandit already mentioned the player base, and I would like to follow up on that. GSC Cup had 32 signups. Now this doesn't sound that impressive on paper, but GSC Cup was going on during Classic, and didn't have points going towards Classic. The fact that 32 people decided to sign up for a tour that didn't count for the big official tour that was going on, and spent time prepping for GSC instead of other gens, says something. The list of users that signed up also shows that it isn't a dead gen. A lot of these users are big 1v1 names, and while many of these may play another gen, it shows that GSC 1v1 has at least a decent player base.

I don't want to trash on DPP too hard, all I will say is that the playerbase is much smaller, and I believe that many people wouldn't want to play the slot if they were needed for it.

I believe the optimal slots are 2 SS, 2 SM, 1 ORAS, 1 BW, 1 ADV, and 1 GSC. I believe that the gen skip is made up for the quality of GSC over DPP. Saying 1 liners about how the gen is dogshit does not change that it has a solid player base, and it has a lot of support. If there was a nineth slot, I would 100% support DPP, but since we are limited to eight, GSC 1v1 should be in OGPL over DPP.
Ratio

I support option 1. DPP has a long history in 1v1 team tours and deserves some representation here. ADV has an active playerbase and should not have slotting issues. In an "Old Gens" Premier League, I think it's important that the older old gens get represented. As for GSC, I think it would be really cool to see it in a team tour, but I just don't anticipate it being feasible to slot, given that most people who play GSC are going to want to play other tiers. In the future, I'd love to see a "true" old gens team tour which includes gens 1-5. It would be a fun unofficial with very little at stake, and I think it would satisfy those who want to play the really old gens in a team tour setting.

As the inventor of GSC 1v1 I would like to point to the not so long ago gsc money tour which had immense signups and developments to the meta was quite popular and while there isn't money in this tour the baseline was already established and while not all the people who signed up for that tour or gsc cup will necessarily sign up a significant enough percentage will sign up and if a community has the playerbase for it (unlike dpp) then it should be included, also arguments of gen skipping being bad is so dumb like its an unofficial, if every sm player ever somehow decided to touch grass and never touch ps again then we wouldnt have a choice but to gen skip sm and dpp is basically down this route anyways so ye gsc > dpp

As the inventor of GSC 1v1 I would like to point to the not so long ago gsc money tour which had immense signups and developments to the meta was quite popular and while there isn't money in this tour the baseline was already established and while not all the people who signed up for that tour or gsc cup will necessarily sign up a significant enough percentage will sign up and if a community has the playerbase for it (unlike dpp) then it should be included, also arguments of gen skipping being bad is so dumb like its an unofficial, if every sm player ever somehow decided to touch grass and never touch ps again then we wouldnt have a choice but to gen skip sm and dpp is basically down this route anyways so ye gsc > dpp
Yooo people signup and try to win a tour with a 100 cash prize? That's crazy!

hater

formerly cleffa hater
Ladies and Gentlemen, I come to you today to talk about one of the most controversial topics in the world of Pokémon - the player known as Kaif. While many consider him to be a formidable opponent, I have to say that, in my opinion, Kaif is an underwhelming Pokémon player. Allow me to explain why.

First and foremost, Kaif's team building skills leave much to be desired. His teams often lack synergy, and he seems to prioritize trendy or popular Pokémon over those that would effectively complement his playstyle. This results in poorly constructed teams that are easily exploited by more seasoned opponents.

Furthermore, Kaif's in-game decision making is questionable at best. He tends to rely on brute force, rather than trying to outsmart his opponent with tactics and strategy. This leads to repetitive and predictable play, making it easy for opponents to predict his next move and counter accordingly.

Additionally, Kaif's understanding of the metagame seems to be lacking. He often brings outdated sets or Pokémon that are countered by the current dominant threats, resulting in a lack of success in high-level play. It's important for a Pokémon player to stay current with the metagame, as it is constantly evolving, and Kaif's failure to do so is a significant weakness.

In conclusion, while Kaif may have had some success in local tournaments, I believe he falls short when it comes to top-level play. His poor team building skills, questionable in-game decision making, and lack of understanding of the metagame make him an underwhelming Pokémon player. I hope that in the future Kaif will take the time to improve these areas, as the world of Pokémon is always striving for the best and brightest players. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)