Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

1637009133662.png

Art by *Swords Of Death* and Google Images.

If you would like to continue talking about the meme compendium I made a conversation for so just contact me if you would like to join.

S Tier
:Aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:Type Null: Type: Null

S- Tier
:Vespiquen: Vespiquen
:Alakazam: Alakazam

A+ Tier
:Doublade: Doublade
:Polteageist: Polteageist
:Eldegoss: Eldegoss
:Metagross: Metagross

A Tier
:Riolu: Riolu
:Swoobat: Swoobat
:Absol: Absol
:Dusknoir: Dusknoir
:Corviknight: Corviknight
:Alcremie: Alcremie
:Noivern: Noivern

A- Tier
:Beheeyem: Beheeyem
:Gardevoir: Gardevoir
:Appletun: Appletun
:Bouffalant: Bouffalant
:Hitmontop: Hitmontop
:Frosmoth: Frosmoth
:Spiritomb: Spiritomb
:Ninetales: Ninetales
:Cofagrigus: Cofagrigus
:Latias: Latias
:Porygon-Z: Porygon-Z

B+ Tier
:Scolipede: Scolipede
:Abomasnow: Abomasnow
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:Porygon2: Porygon2
:Inteleon: Inteleon
:Kadabra: Kadabra
:Rillaboom: Rillaboom
:Dubwool: Dubwool
:Chandelure: Chandelure
:Moltres-Galar: Moltres-Galar

B Tier
:Goodra: Goodra
:Gengar: Gengar
:Trevenant: Trevenant
:Regice: Regice
:Greedent: Greedent
:Incineroar: Incineroar
:Blaziken: Blaziken
:Tapu Fini: Tapu Fini
:Escavalier: Escavalier

B- Tier
:Latios: Latios
:Dedenne: Dedenne
:Throh: Throh
:Haxorus: Haxorus
:Sceptile: Sceptile
:Relicanth: Relicanth
:Tapu Lele: Tapu Lele
:Pelipper: Pelipper
:Sealeo: Sealeo

C+ Tier
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz
:Bisharp: Bisharp
:Cramorant: Cramorant
:Necrozma: Necrozma
:Drifblim: Drifblim

C Tier
:Skarmory: Skarmory
:Drednaw: Drednaw
:Regirock: Regirock
:Jynx: Jynx
:Kangaskhan: Kangaskhan
:Politoed: Politoed
:Durant: Durant
:Sylveon: Sylveon
:Walrein: Walrein

C- Tier
:Guzzlord: Guzzlord
:Decidueye: Decidueye
:Magneton: Magneton
:Runerigus: Runerigus
:Zapdos: Zapdos

D+ Tier
:Toxapex: Toxapex
:Exploud: Exploud
:Mamoswine: Mamoswine

D Tier
:Shuckle: Shuckle
:Articuno: Articuno

Last edited:
Just a quick note for the rankings, they are based off of the meme compendium sets and I will do a round robin with all the sets to decide the true rankings. There are a total of 78 different pokemon so far so it will take some time to update the tier list. I will also post the result of this later on the main post. Also ty for all the people who sent me sets to help expand this!

View attachment 385628

A very important note is that this tier list is only including the pokemon in the compendium. This means that this tier list does not include pokemon who are not in the Meme Compendium like zygarde and urshifu.

A more in-depth study will be done to compare all pokemon against each other in an in-game test.

S Tier

S- Tier

A+ Tier

A Tier

A- Tier

B+ Tier

B Tier

B- Tier

C+ Tier

C Tier

C- Tier

D+ Tier

D Tier

Thanks to Turbo Drif for helping rank some of the pokemon.
If you believe a pokemon here needs to be higher/lower ranked tell me why and I'll consider the change.

11/15/21: Tier List Added
Just. stop with that troll compendium that's a thread for real metagame...
(Where's my boi cursola)

View attachment 385628

A very important note is that this tier list is only including the pokemon in the compendium. This means that this tier list does not include pokemon who are not in the Meme Compendium like zygarde and urshifu.

A more in-depth study will be done to compare all pokemon against each other in an in-game test.

S Tier

S- Tier

A+ Tier

A Tier

A- Tier

B+ Tier

B Tier

B- Tier

C+ Tier

C Tier

C- Tier

D+ Tier

D Tier

Thanks to Turbo Drif for helping rank some of the pokemon.
If you believe a pokemon here needs to be higher/lower ranked tell me why and I'll consider the change.

11/15/21: Tier List Added
I would like to nom you moving this stuff somewhere else.

- post smartly; this is a set dump thread where you just throw in whatever random set you like using on ladder, this is meant to be a resource dedicated to sorting out the Pokemon that you love to use in the current metagame.
- words only go so far when it comes to making a convincing case to show you set; showing calcs and replays says a lot more about a Pokemon's interaction with others than simple speculation.
- discussion isn't frowned upon, but if it's a one-line response to someone's post or something, it'd probably be better just to bring it up to the person in pms or the room or somewhere that won't clutter the thread.
-remember, this is a place for meme sets, but don't throw in random sets like special Scizor (unless you actually believe it isn't total garbage), it probably won't get added to the compendium.
id be very interested in knowing why you're trying to change the rules of an existing thread and trying to make it your own thread, like surely this is a thread for SS1v1 meta discussion and not a meme setdump thread with some random VR and setcomp

eh i would like to have a page to fun sets i think the 1v1 meta has a lot of room to use non viable/janky sets and still win, personally i think its more fun and would make it more interesting since it can highligh some hidden stuff like how to use a spite or custap set to new people or use abilities that are underused

I would like to take a moment to talk about some trends and opinions on the metagame post initial DFS era. This analysis is purely subjective so feel free to disagree and point out things to continue the conversation.

I want to note two things about SS to start with. One that it's a lower power generation, and two is that pokemon quirkiness has increased.

The consequences of SS not having insane power creep like the previous 2 generations is that increasingly pokemon can choose to sacrife an item or moveslot to attempt to tech a moderate amount of their checks or pseudo checks without sacrificing a too significant amount of their previous matchups. Of course this is inherent to all generations, but I feel like it is especially prevalent in SS.

Secondly, what I mean by pokemon quirkyness is that while the dex is smaller, unique type combinations, abilities and stat distributions have increased. This is natural, and comes with every new generation.

With both these things combined, however, pokemon interactions increasingly go against their type matchup chart.
Currently, for me at least, SS feels like a search for consistency. How can I make my water type not lose to Entei? How can I make my fairy type not lose to zyg? etc...

And the VR reflects this. In a meta where you don't know if your ghost type can beat the opposing psychic type, pokemon that are the most consistent in their matchups will rise up. Thus at the top we have mostly bulky mons with great support moves and premier wallbreakers.

One other thing that overshadows the meta is Zygarde. I know Deg has given their thoughts about and I would like to continue the discussion. Apart from a minimally middling speed tier Zygarde has literally everything it wants to stand out in this meta. Incredible bulk, great ways to increase its longevity, and a broken signature move. It is incredibly hard to finesse in a meta where finesse is the word of the day.

What sets Zygarde apart from other metagame threats is power construct. With it, its BST is significantly higher than any other pokemon. What this means is that Zygarde does not effectively have middling offense against the average pokemon. With physical setup/special stat decrease it effectively stops opposing setup and can increase its offense at the same time usually. If for example Zygarde coils and that allows it to turn a 2 hit ko into a 3 hit ko, off of a coiled no invest move it now has two turns of effectively uninvested 160 attack or 125 fully invested offense. This is nowhere near comparable to similar high BST pokemon such as Kyurem. Kyurem's stat distribution is completely different and some would say much less optimal. Having decently high mixed offenses isn't very helpful in its case and is effectively wasting high amounts of BST regardless what set it chooses to run.

Going back to Zygarde, having one of the highest BSTs pre complete to the highest by a large margin once in complete forme warps most pokemon's approaches to beat it in a conventional manner. Zygarde will simply outbulk you. What this means is that Zygarde encourages stallish approaches to building or very specific sets on pokemon with type advantages over it. Yes, it loses to ice types, next. It does not however lose to many fairy types unless they are specifically tech-ed for it. Unlike every other top mon that more or less cleanly loses to pokemon they have an unfavorable type matchup against Zygarde simply doesn't in most cases.

One thing I would like to emphasize is that Zygarde is not unbeatable. Instead I would like to emphasize how its existence affects teambuilding as a whole in a negative manner.

Individually, things like beating a portion of its counters, being hard to break with offense, and having great setup/anti setup moves are not necessarily oppresive but all together they are incredibly stifling. Zygarde's rise also to an extent enables/encourages stall/semi stall to rise as it forces wallbreakers to attempt to outbulk it and drop offense and one of the few reliable checks to Zygarde are stall pokemon.

TLDR: Zygarde is stifling, fairy spam or not.

clerica

fly me up to Jupiter
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think I've ever actually given my formal thoughts on the state of SWSH before and I'm pretty bored so thought I would just ramble about this gen for a bit, we'll see.

Just some general thoughts on the meta and then I'll go into some of the higher-ranked/controversial mons. I'm really happy with where SWSH is as of now. It's been a long road and it's not over yet but we're finally at a place where I'm comfortable with the balance of the meta. It's not perfect but it's sooooo much better than it used to be. Of course, the releases of BDSP and the Legends game could completely ruin it but I'll enjoy the meta while I can. Building can be painful but there is still new stuff to try and I find playing it more fun than ever before. People can hate on it and call it braindead dfs but anyone who actually builds and plays it knows that is an exaggeration. Something else I've noticed is that there are a few people (mostly room goons) who are somewhat confused about why nothing has been suspected or banned in a while. The reason for that is called stabilization and it's completely normal. It's just that with multiple DLCs and massive meta shifts we've been in a bit of a tumultuous state for a while, somewhat similar to the recent BW metas. Now that we've had about a year to develop the meta things have finally somewhat settled, that's just how metas work.

:regidrago:
Originally seen as bad Rosa mon, Regidrago has had a bit of a glow up since people like pqs started spamming it in WC. It can beat pretty much anything that isn't either a fairy or a specific set of steels in a similar way to how PZ or Regieleki blow up anything that doesn't resist or just outright bulk them. The difference between Regidrago and those two is that Regidrago is much more versatile. It has insanely strong stabs on both the physical and special end with the stats to use them, and it also has good utility moves like Scale Shot, Breaking Swipe, or even Laser Focus to further enable its offensive capabilities in ways that Regieleki and PZ can't quite pull off (as of now). This makes Regidrago an absolute menace at preview, capable of forcing coinflips between clicking the Regidrago counter or not. However, I would say this trait isn't anything special. Most top tiers force this situation to an extent it's just that Regidrago is very good at it. What holds Regidrago back from being an issue is its complete lack of any counter-play to the best type in the meta, fairy types. Unlike Genesect, who forced fire types in a meta where there aren't many good fire types, there is an abundance of very good fairy types such as the Tapus, Prim, Kiss, and so on. Fairy types have always been good so it's not like you have to bend over backward to fit one onto your team while building. Some people might argue that being forced to run a specific type is restrictive enough to warrant a suspect, but I would argue that isn't true. All good mons in the meta are in some way restrictive, that's what makes them good and is why we have a system to decide what is viable. As long as it isn't overly restrictive it's fine, and fairies are good enough on their own that being somewhat forced to use one isn't necessarily asking for much.
:tapu Fini:
Considered by many to be the best mon in the tier for good reason, I'm a big fan of Fini being arguably the best mon in the tier. This mon is incredibly versatile, has good speed, good bulk, a good typing, and it also is a very fair mon. It's a pretty weak comparison, but I would consider Fini to be similar to the gen 7 Zard-X of SWSH. Its versatility allows it to do pretty much anything it wants, but it doesn't have the bullshit factor unhealthy mons have. It doesn't have a broken ability, no broken move, all of its counters are super reliable, and the most rng factor about it is the 30% spa drop from Moonblast. I absolutely love how Fini has risen in the meta and think it's a pretty healthy best mon to have right now. Most people probably didn't expect Fini to be the best Tapu, let alone a candidate for the best mon in the meta (except for maybe rellia). Anyways I don't have much else to say about Fini. Good mon, very fair, happy it's the best.
:slowbro galar:
I hadn't planned to talk about this but apparently, a few people think it's an issue? I'll try and keep this short because I personally think it's silly to discuss. No, we aren't going to ban or suspect an unranked mon because of a 30% chance to sometimes cheese you. There's a reason it's unranked and trying to ban it because it sometimes outspeeds you and kos with a supereffective move would be similar to trying to ban iron head for flinching you. Tiering policy states that probability management is a part of the game and seeing how it's only a 30% chance to outspeed and not a 30% chance to win the game I don't see it as an issue. Yes, I've malded about losing to that guy's specs Slowbro-G on ladder, but it can be played around without much effort if you are cognizant while building.
:zygarde complete:
Ono Zygod.. it seems that there is a wide range of opinions on this mon, and I don't quite know if I've fully decided where I stand on it yet. When Genesect and Jirachi were initially banned I expected Zyg to follow shortly after. It seemed pretty clear to me that Zyg was on a level of its own above everything else. However, as time has gone on I've been having fewer and fewer issues with it. Before going further I'd like to just go over what makes Zygod is so good. Like I said before I am aware that it's a weak comparison because of how vastly different the generations are, but if Fini is the Zard-X of this gen, Zygod is the gen 8 equivalent of SM Dragonite. It has that broken ability in Power Construct that makes it bulkier than any mon has any right being, it has the deep movepool with a wide array of options like Coil, Extreme Speed, Sub, Toxic, Breaking Swipe, even Spite can be considered useful in some scenarios. All of these provide Zyg with the potential to tech a lot of the metagame. What is probably considered the most problematic part of this is that with the rise of its Assault Vest set, Zyg can now force unreliable matchups vs many of the common fairy sets in the meta which many people had just blindly assumed beat Zyg. Since this realization, the amount of true Zyg counters has seemingly shrunk as people realized they can't just mindlessly check it with any fairy like they can with Drago. I can see how people view this as problematic, and I agree that Zyg can be a pain in the ass while building, but as of now I don't think it's deserving of a ban yet. Zyg can be pretty restricting but it also has exploitable weaknesses such as its less-than-ideal offensive stats which leaves it prone to more than just ice types. Another thing I would like to point out is that Zyg has a pretty high opportunity cost between its sets. Each of its sets can cover a fair amount, but it wishes it could run 4 items and 7 moves with infinite evs. So while it has the potential to tech a lot, it has to pay a pretty hefty price to do so. Want reliable matchups vs dragons with Haban, give up your matchups vs fairies. Want to beat fairies more reliably with AV, now you run the risk of losing to stall because you can't fit a setup option. Where it stands right now, I just don't feel that Zyg has reached that problematic threshold. New counters like Specs Fini are on the rise and are continuing to keep Zyg from getting too out of control. This doesn't mean that Zyg isn't still incredibly good, and I've seen some people call Zyg an afterthought in the builder which I completely disagree with. It's in S rank for a reason, you have to be aware of it. However, they do have a point where it isn't necessarily impossible to fit a Zyg counter on your team. If you're using good mons there will be times where you just happen to have a check without having to work very hard. I have also seen people say shit like "Custap Aura Break Reversal Zyg beats Darmg" which I find completely irrelevant. The main cause for concern with Zyg is Power Construct. That's what allows it to pull off almost everything it does and without Power Construct it's incredibly underwhelming. Making up nonsense sets as a way to "supposedly" beat a counter makes no sense if you're not even discussing the potentially broken aspect of the mon. Like I've said, I'm still not completely decided on this mon, but unless we see something game-breaking in a tour I have a hard time seeing this being suspected soon. Even if there hypothetically were a suspect, I know I would vote dnb as of now.

Watch Nintendo not put the mons into SWSH Lol! Anyways I have a hard time seeing these mons have a massive impact besides a few like Manaphy, Shaymin, Empoleon, and Slaking. It's still way too early for me to comfortably speculate since the last time I speculated Nintendo owned me, but it probably won't be as impactful as DLC 2. If I had to guess, it will probably be more in line with DLC 1 or the initial Home release.

Told you I would ramble. I've never made a real post here before TL btw, but I do have a lot of thoughts so figured I would kind of just dump them here. I doubt most of you actually read the entire post, but I also don't blame people if they didn't. Anyways, thanks for reading and have a nice day gn.

ohayou, we should suspect zygarde

zyggy is in this very awkward position where some people think its absolutely bonkers and is unhealthy and/or broken for the tier, while others think its pretty manageable even with the development of more and more techs to work around its counters. personally, i stand in the latter field, so it may seem unusual that i am asking for a suspect. however, this is because i want to set a new precedent that inclines council members to suspect things that hit a gray area rather than when they reach a tipping point.

lets take the genesect suspect as an example. 75% of qualified votes for the genesect suspect voted ban. 75%! that is a pretty notable majority, already over 50%+1 by a pretty large margin; what this tells us is that it was pretty clear genesect was going to be banned and it was unlikely that community opinion would ever shift on its ban. essentially, the suspect process was kind of pointless! it was less of a suspect test and more of a glorified council roleplay by a community of people who already knew what the outcome was going to be. this is not how suspect tests should operate, in my opinion- they are suspect tests, attempts to gauge whether a community believes an object of the metagame is banworthy or not.

this is why, despite being against its ban, i think this is a fine time to suspect test zygarde. it would bring much needed discussion about its role in the metagame, and maybe some voters opinions would actually change during the two weeks of the test. i realize theres not a very high chance it gets suspected at this point, but i encourage the council to give it consideration, because suspect tests are events that inherently spark debates and discussion. i much prefer a 2 week long grind for a vote than a 2 week long grind for what is effectively a quickban.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
I've been thinking about counters to stall mons like Registeel and Shuckle, but nothing solid comes to mind other than Taunt. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I think this is a completely valid question, but personally I try not to group pokemon by their role. You don't ask "Is there a way to beat all physical attackers" or "is there a way to beat every choice scarf user", because even though Pokémon fulfill similar roles, the ways to beat them may be completely different.
Look at the examples you gave for example. Assuming you're talking about Iron Defense Amnesia Registeel, and Contrary Shell Smash Shuckle, you can certainly Taunt both of them to win, but aside from that there aren't that many similarities between them. On a few of my teams (which I admit are not the best so keep in mind these are examples), my answers to Shuckle are Durant, Octillery, and Tapu Fini, while my answers to Registeel include Heatran, Volcanion, and Regieleki. My point is: I personally think you are going to be more successful trying to find answers to individual stall Pokémon, instead of trying to beat "stall" as a whole.

This may come across as a stupid question, but whilst building for ladder and seeing if some teams are good enough to use in tournaments ect. I was stuck on something, I can't really think of a Pokemon or a duo that beats DFS reliably. DFS is definitely one of those things which is amazing but loses it's charm since everyone expects it and so I want a counter team to it. So if anyone has any answers I'd like that and this might come across as even more stupid since there may not be a definitive answer considering the amount of mons used from each of the typings.

Ferrothorn does really well against DFS, it can beat all fairies (given the right set) and has a really good matchup against dragons. It can beat a respectable amount of steels as well like no fire move Aggron, Magnezone, and Metagross so its not dead weight there either. It faces 4 move syndrome while trying to beat all these of course but it's a nice place to start if you're trying to punish DFS. Tapu Bulu similarly deals with Fairies and dragons pretty reliably and can cheese some choice locked steels with disable. From there you mainly just need something to cover the steels and fires of the tier which something like Volcanion, Zygarde, or Lando-T could do, depending on what you decide as your first. These three in particular can also beat dragons (not volcanion) and fairies so you can have multiple answers to certain mons, which is always good.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
As the titan of timeliness you all know me to be, the results of the 2021 1v1 Community Survey are finally in!

2021 1v1 Community Survey Results
1641929801592.png

1641929839953.png

1641929879181.png

1641929905388.png

1641929947198.png

Favorite 1v1 Pokemon of 2021?
1. Urshifu / No response - 4
2. Aromatisse - 3

1641930489759.png

1641930528926.png

1641930564371.png

Best teambuilder of 2021?
1. Potatochan - 17
2. Nalei - 5
3. Here Comes Team Charm! / smely socks - 3

Most influential player of 2021?
1. Potatochan - 10
2. LRXC - 6
3. DEG - 4

Most gimmicky player of 2021?
1. 5luke - 11
2. Bomb21XD - 9
3. XanderUrBoi - 4

Luckiest player of 2021?
1. Jamez - 10
2. STABLE - 4
3. Palestine - 3

Most intimidating player of 2021?
1. XSTATIC COLD - 14
2. STABLE - 5
3. DenisTheMenace - 4

Best new player of 2021?
1. fruan - 9
2. torterraxx - 5
3. Adam3560 / Blanched / Justdelemon / ncalathes - 3

Best ladder player of 2021?
1. smely socks - 17
2. XSTATIC COLD - 7
3. ncalathes - 3

Best tournament player of 2021?
1. Potatochan - 17
2. DenisTheMenace - 8
3. Gym Socks! - 5

Best overall player of 2021?
1. Potatochan - 12
2. Gym Socks! - 5
3. XSTATIC COLD - 3

Nicest user of 2021?
1. smely socks - 8
2. Murman - 6
3. Here Comes Team Charm! - 5

Meanest user of 2021?
1. XSTATIC COLD - 12
2. STABLE - 7
3. Murman - 3

Funniest user of 2021?
1. Adam3560 - 10
2. pqs - 4
3. D2TheW / doc1203 / HeyMan / XSTATIC COLD - 3

Cutest user of 2021?
1. Being weirded out by this question - 5

Most forgetful user of 2021?
1. idk - 5
2. Thinking this question was most forgotten user - 4
3. Mubs / Rosa / Tol - 2

Most likely user to be canceled on social media?
1. STABLE / XSTATIC COLD - 13
2. Blanched / DEG / eblurb - 2

Most likely user to still be on Smogon in 5 years?
1. Rosa - 8
2. pqs - 7
3. XSTATIC COLD - 4

Any moments in 1v1 from 2021 that stood out to you?
- Murman
- no
- LOMBRUH

Create your own dream lineup for a PL team. The top answers for each slot will be combined together to make the 1v1 community dream team. (Assume the 8th slot is DPP, and no subs (bonus points for the monopoke slot))

BO7: DenisTheMenace
SS1: Potatochan
SS2: Nalei
SM1: Landon / LBDC
SM2: XSTATIC COLD
ORAS: XSTATIC COLD / DEG
BW: STABLE / Sanshokuinsumireko
DPP: Jamez / Euphonos
Monopoke: Leru

If you could make anything happen in 1v1 next year, what would you do?
- ADV in PL
- Cry
- "Make Murman love me"

(Free Response)
- (Free Answer)
- Amongus
- Mubs out
- T dry s egg hy dr ey err ty rdd FG yty gd Thu ey
- this is a private response pls do not read

While we may be putting the year aside, our memories will be alive for much longer, so let's keep striving to make more great memories by making every day the best we can!

Last edited:
i think MIlktank is good if paired with Jolly nature and max speed and attack ivs and aguav berry if using roll out if not go for boosting item with abbility scrappy and fusion of atrract,stomp,thunder wave/roll out and milk drink Milktank can be deveasting if used right here is my milktank i use
Goddes of beauty (Miltank) @ Lum Berry/Aguav Berry
Ability: Scrappy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stomp
- Attract/Play rough
- Thunder Wave/Roll out
- Milk Drink
Its counters can be Ghost types if not running scrappy (that you probably gonna use) steel types and rock types and same gender if running attract
If you dont want attract you can use play rough for coverage. Sorry for not detailed because im practically beginner in smogon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)