Catch The Wave (Again!)
- Mega Lucario is a potent attacker in the 1v1 metagame. With an impressive Attack stat coupled with a compelling ability in Adaptability and a splendid movepool, Mega Lucario has the potential to turn otherwise improbable wins to its favor.
- It's also armed with a good Special Attack stat which enables it to go for a Special Attacking set as well.
- Mega Lucario's high speed lets it outspeed top-tier threats like both Mega Charizard formes, Mega Pinsir, Mega Gardevoir, and Durant which allows it to fire off its powerful attacks while taking less number of attacks from the foe. It is only outsped by Nagandel, Greninja, Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny, and Choice Scarf users like Garchomp and Tapu Lele.
- Mega Lucario's great Fighting / Steel type and moves provides it effective offensive coverage as well as key resistances to Dragon, Ice, Rock, and Normal which enables it to take on the likes of Kyurem-B, Snorlax, Scarf Porygon-Z, Magearna, Crustle, and Durant. Its Steel typing also provides immunity to Poison which gives it the upper hand against Nihilego and Mega Venusaur.
- It's also equipped with utility moves. Magnet Rise lets it defeat the common Ground-type Pokemon like Golem, Donphan, and Non Scarf Garchomp, as well as Landorus-T with its Special Attacking set. With some bulk investment, Counter lets it defeat some of its common checks like Dragonite, Scarf Garchomp, and Mega Metagross.
- Mega Lucario's pre-mega evolution abilities Inner Focus and Steadfast are also useful which allow it to defeat Jirachi and Togekiss.
- Sadly, its typing also calls in weakness to common offensive types including Fire, Fighting, and Ground which leaves it vulnerable to Pokemon like Scarf Victini, Sawk, and Scarf Garchomp. Moreover, its sub-par bulk doesn't help either in taking other powerful attacks like Gigavolt Havoc from Tapu Koko and Hydro Cannon from Greninja.
- Its physical sets get completely walled by Mega Slowbro and Mega Sableye while bulky Pokemon such as Primarina, Tapu Fini, Dragonite, and Aegislash are able to take hits from it and retaliate with their moves.
- It faces tough competition from other Fighting- as well as Steel- type Pokemon because of them being present in abundance, but it differentiates itself from them thanks to having high Speed, and by acting as a check to different Pokemon which the others might not be able to go against. Mega Heracross takes Mega Sableye and Mega Slowbro better but loses out to Magearna which Mega Lucario is able to defeat. Mega Blaziken can defeat Greninja but loses out to Psychium Z Tapu Lele which Mega Lucario defeats. One might argue that its significantly weaker than other Steel-types like Mega Metagross, Aegislash, Magearna, and Genesect. All the aforementioned Pokemon are vulnerable to bulky Mega Charizard X while all of these Steel-types are weak to Heatran; Mega Lucario being, the same type defeats both of them.
- Despite of having these drawbacks, Mega Lucario is one of the most reliable checks to some of the most used Pokemon in the metagame like Kyurem-B, both Mega Charizard formes, Snorlax, Mega Aggron, and Donphan as well as anti-meta Pokemon like Heatran and Magearna.
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Rock Tomb
- Magnet Rise / Swords Dance
- Repeated usage of Substitute reduces Mega Lucario's HP and increases Reversal's power. At the same time it safeguards Mega Lucario from Counter and status moves and the Flare Blitz recoil which Mega Charizard X suffers upon breaking Substitute makes Reversal a guaranteed KO even on the bulkiest of Mega Charizard X.
- Reversal is its main damaging move in the set and with the Adaptability boost reaches a very high base power on low health allowing it to KO the likes of Mega Charizard X, Bulky Kyurem-B, Non-Scarf Garchomp, Mega Aggron, Snorlax, and most of the time even Non-Scarf Latios.
- Rock Tomb acts as a Speed control move which lets Mega Lucario outspeed Pokemon with speed boosting setup moves like Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X. It also lets Mega Lucario OHKO Non-Choice Scarf Blacephalon.
- Magnet Rise is in the set to allow Mega Lucario to defeat Pokemon that carry super effective Ground-type moves such as Donphan and Golem.
- Swords Dance is a useful setup move that allows Mega Lucario to even break through walls that resist Reversal, most importantly Mega Venusaur and Curse Mega Aggron but it comes with the cost of losing to Ground-types like Golem and Donphan.
- 252 Atk EVs enhance Mega Lucario's offensive capability by letting it hit as hard as possible and 252 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature lets it outspeed as many Pokemon as possible including Charizard, Non-Scarf Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, Blacephalon, and Durant.
- Its calculated HP stat already happens to be an odd number which lets it use Substitute 4 times before capping at 1% to make use of a high base powered Reversal.
- Inner Focus as the pre-mega ability prevents Lucario from flinching which lets it defeat Jirachi and have a good chance of winning against Togekiss. Adaptability boosts Reversal's power to incredibly high levels making Reversal a 400 Base Power move at 3% HP and below.
- It's best to send Mega Lucario to battle if you predict the opponent to send Pokemon that get outsped and cannot stall it away such as both Mega Charizard formes, Magearna, Snorlax, and Donphan. Try to evade Mega Lucario from getting matched up against Ghost-types such as Mimikyu, Mega Sableye, Aegislash and other bulky Pokemon like Mega Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Primarina, and Tapu Fini as they would mostly defeat it.
- This set contains very high wallbreaking potential thanks to Adaptability boosted Reversal but it is devoid of a coverage move to hit Ghost-type such as Mimikyu, Mega Sableye, and Aegislash effectively so try not to send it against them.
- Against most Pokemon, start by using Substitute to reduce HP for increasing Reversal's power. If the opposing Pokemon set up with moves such as Dragon Dance to boost their Speed, use Rock Tomb on the following turn to slow them down and then start again with Substitute till Mega Lucario's reaches the least amount of HP it can. If the foe's attacks do not break Substitute on a turn, you may use the more powerful move at that time, Reversal or Rock Tomb.
- Use Rock Tomb as the first move against potentially Scarfed Pokemon such as Porygon-Z to outspeed them on the subsequent turns.
- You should opt for Magnet Rise in the set over Swords Dance if your team is weak to Golem and Donphan while the inverse should be done if the team lacks a Pokemon capable of defeating Mega Venusaur and Curse Mega Aggron.
- If you predict Kyurem-B to be Scarfed, start with Rock Tomb otherwise use Substitute multiple times until Mega Lucario reaches minimum HP and follow up with Reversal. If you're having trouble in predicting the Kyurem-B set, it is advised to use Magnet Rise as it'll defeat Scarf Kyurem-B with Earth Power and other sets including Choice Specs and Groundium Z as well.
- When matched up against Jirachi, start with Rock Tomb while being in regular forme to avoid flinching and outpace Jirachi. Then mega evolve on the next turn and follow up with Reversal twice to grab the victory. Against Togekiss, first use Rock Tomb while being in the regular forme and then again from the mega forme.
- Choice Scarf Porygon-Z can be paired with Mega Lucario to defeat most of the Pokemon that outspeed it such as Nagandel, Greninja, Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny, and Scarf Garchomp as well as bulky Pokemon including Mega Slowbro and Landorus-T. Concurrently Mega Lucario checks Kyurem-B, Mega Aggron, Magearna, Donphan, and Golem (if carrying Magnet Rise) for Porygon-Z.
- Bulky Mega Charizard Y appreciates Mega Lucario's flair of taking on Mega Charizard X, Heatran, Snorlax, Donphan, and Golem. With Flame Charge equipped, Mega Charizard Y can help it by checking Mega Gyarados, Mimikyu, Landorus-T, Mega Slowbro, Greninja, Tapu Fini, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Mawile which usually defeat Mega Lucario.
- This Mega Lucario set doesn't have any powerful move to hit Ghost-type Pokemon. Mega Gyarados can take on most of the Ghost-types including Mimikyu, Aegislash, and Mega Sableye. In addition to that it also defeats Dragonite, Magnezone, Scarf Garchomp, Sawk, Choice Scarf Victini, and which defeat Mega Lucario. At the same time Mega Lucario defeats Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Snorlax, Magearna, and Kartana which are common Mega Gyarados checks.
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- High Jump Kick
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Slide
- High Jump Kick is Mega Lucario's Fighting STAB and the most powerful move in this set which KOes Kyurem-B, Offensive Mega Charizard X after Flare Blitz recoil, Porygon-Z, Mega Aggron, and Meloetta most of the time.
- Meteor Mash has relatively good accuracy and adds in a whole lot of possibilities to this set as the Steel-type STAB boosted by Adaptability lets it take on Psychium Z Tapu Lele, Mimikyu, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Venusaur. It also has a 20% chance to raise Mega Lucario's Attack stat by 1 stage which can be helpful against Waterium Z Tapu Fini.
- Substitute helps in blocking status moves such as Charm and Sleep Powder from Mega Venusaur, Yawn from Snorlax, Counter and Metal Burst from Mega Ampharos, Crustle, and Mega Aggron, Mega Charizard Y's Blast Burn, taking Z-Moves such as Twinkle Tackle from Mimikyu and in increasing the Flare Blitz recoil damage suffered by Mega Charizard X which in turn helps in making High Jump Kick a guaranteed KO on the offensive variant.
- Rock Slide hits Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir. It also comes with a flinch chance which can be used for breaking Mimikyu's Disguise safely as it has more accuracy and can also be used against Pokemon like Dragonite, Sawk, Magnezone, and Primarina whom Mega Lucario can't OHKO to get a flinch or two before following up with the appropriate STAB.
- Maximum Speed investment with a Jolly nature allows Mega Lucario to outpace both Mimikyu, Mega Charizard, Mega Pinsir, Jumpluff, and other base 110 and below Speed Pokemon.
- Maximum Attack EVs strengthen its offensive power enabling it to KO the likes of Bulky Kyurem-B, Offensive Mega Charizard X after Flare Blitz recoil, Durant, Mega Venusaur, and Meloetta.
- Steadfast increases its Speed upon flinching which lets it defeat Jirachi and Togekiss. Adaptability boosts the power of Mega Lucario's STAB moves namely High Jump Kick and Iron Tail making them much more powerful.
- This set possess instant power along with Steel-type STAB and unlike the SubReversal set, it's capable of defeating Curse Mega Aggron, Mimikyu, and Psychium Z Tapu Lele.
- Using this set to its full potential is easy, just use the most powerful move against the foe. If all the moves have the same effectiveness then in most cases, High Jump Kick should be used as it does the most damage.
- Against Pokemon whom Mega Lucario can't OHKO like Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone keep using Substitute multiple times hoping for their attacks to miss as it would be the only wincon for Mega Lucario.
- While up against Charizard, start with Substitute. If it turns out to be Mega Charizard Y, just use Rock Slide to KO it on the next turn. If It's Mega Charizard X, keep using Substitute until it uses Dragon Dance and then use High Jump Kick to always defeat Offensive Mega Charizard X. Although bulky Mega Charizard X would still win.
- Mega Lucario should first use Substitute against potential Counter and Metal Burst users like Crustle and Mega Aggron.
- Do not mega evolve against Jirachi and go for High Jump Kick to pickup the win.
- This Mega Lucario set is one of the best counter to Kyurem-Black, Snorlax, and Mega Charizard Y. Pokemon weak to the aforementioned threats benefit having it in their team. Mega Venusaur is one such Pokemon and forms a great teammate for Mega Lucario on not only this but all the sets as it can take on most of the Sturdy Pokemon like Magnezone, Golem, Donphan, Bulky Pokemon such as Primarina, Tapu Fini, Mega Slowbro, Aegislash as well as offensive threats including Sawk, Greninja, Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny, and Choice Scarf Garchomp which are able to defeat this Mega Lucario set and in return, Mega Lucario defeats Kyurem-B, Mega Charizard Y, Curse Mimikyu, Psychium Z Tapu Lele, Choice Specs Porygon-Z, and Mega Pinsir which can be troublesome for Mega Venusaur.
- 248 HP / 76 Def Bulk invested Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound is an interesting option which can defeat Mega Charizard Y, Mega Metagross, Special Tapu Koko, Greninja, Scarf Garchomp, Primarina, and Meloetta while in Hoopa-Unbound's support, Mega Lucario can take on Snorlax, Mimikyu, Kartana, Golem, Durant, and Mega Aggron.
The Special Stormbringer
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Magnet Rise
- Adaptability boosted Focus Blast is Mega Lucario's most powerful attack which deals heavy damage being capable of KOing Bulky Kyurem-B, Snorlax, Bulky Mega Charizard X, and mostly Mega Mawile though it also comes with a 30% chance of missing.
- Flash Cannon is a reliable Steel-type STAB which hits Fairy-types like Mega Gardevoir and Tapu Lele super effectively and other Pokemon that resist or are immune to Focus Blast like Mega Venusaur, Mimikyu, and Landorus-T.
- Substitute helps in defeating Bulky Mega Charizard X by increasing recoil damage, taking Mimikyu's Twinkle Tackle and blocking Sleep moves from Mega Venusaur and Snorlax. It also increases Mega Lucario's chances of winning against Pokemon that use moves with imperfect accuracy and aren't OHKOed by Mega Lucario such as Magearna and Magnezone, as with repeated usage of Substitute the foe's attacks only break Substitute, with increased number of hits, Mega Lucario can hope for them to miss once while breaking the Substitute and can then 2HKO them while they try to break Substitute.
- Magnet Rise provides immunity to Ground-type attacks, letting it defeat Garchomp, Landorus-T, Golem, Donphan, and Band Dragonite.
- Maximum Special Attack investment provides Mega Lucario the much needed firepower required to hit as hard as possible and take on Pokemon such as Mega Sableye, Bulky Mega Charizard X, and also having a high chance of defeating Mega Mawile.
- Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature lets it outspeed Kartana, Durant, Mimikyu, and Charizard and enables it to fire off its Attacks while taking the least number of hits possible.
- Steadfast raises Mega Lucario's speed by 1 stage when it gets flinched which allows it to defeat Jirachi and Togekiss. Adaptability amplifies the power of its STAB moves Focus Blast and Flash Cannon making them even more lethal with boosted 240 and 160 Base Power respectively.
- The Special set is not much anticipated by the opponents since its comparatively less used so make use of its surprise factor as it can defeat Pokemon like Mega Mawile, Landorus-T and Mega Sableye most of the time while its other sets can't. However, Mega Lucario trades away guaranteed win against Mega Charizard Y as it can survive 2 Focus Blast hits and turn the match into mind games with the amount of Substitutes required.
- While up against Mega Charizard X, keep using Substitute until they use Dragon Dance to increase Flare Blitz's recoil damage in order to pick up the victory up against bulky variants as well.
- When matched up against Dragonite, use Magnet Rise as the opposing Dragonite being Choice Band Earthquake would be Mega Lucario's best hope of winning.
- Refrain from mega evolving against Jirachi and Togekiss until it gets a Steadfast speed boost and while being in the regular forme click on the appropriate STAB move.
- Archeops equipped with Choice Band OHKOes Dragonite through Multiscale, both Mega Charizard formes, Primarina, Tapu Fini, Mega Blastoise, Offensive Mega Heracross, and Meloetta which can defeat Mega Lucario while Mega Lucario can scare Archeops' checks as it can defeat the likes of Kyurem-B, Golem, Mega Tyranitar, Crustle, and Mega Aggron.
- Semi-Bulky Mega Charizard X can defeat Mega Lopunny, Tapu Koko, Dragonite, Mega Metagross, Sawk, Magnezone, Magearna, Mega Charizard Y, and Scarf Victini which threaten Mega Lucario. Simultaneously, Mega Lucario checks all Kyurem-B sets, Snorlax, Chansey, Golem, Psychium Z Tapu Lele, Landorus-T, and Archeops which threaten Mega Charizard X.
- A bulky set with an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk with an Impish nature and the moves Counter, Bullet Punch, High Jump Kick, and Meteor Mash can be used to lure in and defeat some of its common checks like Scarf Garchomp, Physical Dragonite, Mega Metagross, Physical Tapu Koko, and Mega Mawile.
- Close Combat can be used in place of High Jump Kick for having a move with perfect accuracy in the Physical Predator set but it reduces Mega Lucario's power and chance of defeating Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, and Meloetta.
- Thunder Punch is another option which can be used to defeat Mega Gyarados that anticipate a Fighting-type STAB incoming and may not mega evolve and attack straightaway but Mega Lucario finds it tough to make room for it. Similarly, Hidden Power Electric on the Special Attacking set helps in achieving the same.
- Endure can be used instead of Substitute in the SubReversal set to reach the lowest possible HP and at the same time take on a Hydro Cannon from Greninja but it is highly not recommended as Pokemon with Speed set up moves like Dragon Dance and others whose attacks do not bring it down to low HP would be able to defeat it.
- Dark Pulse can be used over Magnet Rise in the Special Attacking set to hit Mega Slowbro and the combination of Dark Pulse and Substitute makes the Aegislash matchup equally favorable for either side which otherwise was always won by Aegislash. It can also be used against Pokemon that Mega Lucario cannot OHKO like Mega Metagross, Magearna, Sawk, Magnezone, and Meloetta to get a flinch or two and then follow up with the appropriate STAB to secure the KO.
- In the SubReversal set, 28 SpD EVs can be invested by taking out from the Attack investment to always survive a Modest Hyper Beam from Scarf Porygon-Z. In its other Attacking sets, 40 HP investment can be done by taking out EVs from Attack / Special Attack to always survive a Modest Hyper Beam from Porygon-Z along with a combination Play Rough and Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu after Substitute.
Checks and Counters
Bulky Pokemon: Defensive Pokemon like Mega Slowbro and Zygarde-C can take outstall Mega Lucario as they can take multiple hits from it with ease. Bulky Offensive Pokemon like Mega Metagross, Mega Heracross, Aegislash, and Dragonite can take any attack from Mega Lucario and KO back with their own moves.
Faster Pokemon: Greninja, Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny, and Scarf users like Garchomp and Victini outspeed Mega Lucario and are able to OHKO it with their powerful attacks.
Water-types: Most of the Water-type Pokemon in the tier like Greninja, Mega Gyarados, Primarina, and Tapu Fini defeat Mega Lucario as they either outspeed or tank a hit and KO it.
Flame Charge: Although Mega Lucario is a reliable Counter to both Mega Charizard formes, variants but it loses if they have have Flame Charge in their moveset.
Selective Sturdy Pokemon: Magnezone and Sawk can take one hit from Mega Lucario and OHKO back with their STAB moves. Golem with Fire Punch, though rare, can also take out the SubReversal Mega Lucario set despite of having Magnet Rise.