SM OU 100% VoltTurn Pivot Team with no Hazards (Peak 1769)

:greninja: :landorus-therian: :magearna: :manectric-mega: :rotom-wash: :tapu-koko:

Are you tired of switching Pokemon without doing any damage? Tired of relying on boring hazards? Try this 100% VoltTurn team. The basic premise is to rack up switch damage, while continuously switching into the opposing Pokemon's counter. This is the first team I've ever shared, so I'd appreciate any feedback!

Shuriken (Greninja) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 244 Atk / 80 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam

This is my revenger killer. I also use it as my main pivot, when I KO a pokemon with VoltTurn. The EVs allow it to outspeed scarfed serperior and OHKO scarfed Kartana with ice beam. Gunk shot takes care of Tapus. The name and gender is to trick people into thinking it's an Ash-Greninja. Waterfall provides ok coverage. I know that rock slide is supposed to be better, but I so rarely see Volcarona that it's usually useless.

Cancer Glue (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Lax Nature
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Defog

Regular defensive Landorous, with a few caveats. I gave it an extra speed EV from the smogon set for opposing Landos. Also, I replaced stealth rocks with Defog. It's very difficult to keep rocks only on their side, so it's better just to have 2 defoggers. You should already be getting enough chip damage from VoltTurn anyways. If you see a lot of Chanseys, it might be worth getting Knock Off instead of HP ice.

Sweetheart (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon

Regular Assault Vest Magearna. She basically doesn't take any special damage but can deal a lot back. Ground switch ins are the only real threat, and they get chunked pretty hard by one of the moves when they switch in. Focus Blast 2HKOs Heatran and Excadrill when they switch. Otherwise, I mainly use flash and fleur cannon for damage.

Eletrodoge (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I like manectric a lot because of its fire coverage and speed tier. It can safely volt-switch out of most threats. Double intimidate with lando makes it very difficult for physical attackers. HP Ice takes care of Garchomp and Landorous T that have been damaged by rocky helmet and u-turns. Lightning rod is a great ability for mind games. A +1 Mega-Manectric can sweep teams that don't have a special wall.

Washington (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

My "wall-breaker" and also another defensive-ish pivot. The EVs are honestly kind of arbitrary, but I give it some defensive EVs because I rely on it to take physical hits when I need to save Landorous-T. Trick cripples Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, and Chansey who are common switch ins. Hidden power grass is useful against water-ground types, who I otherwise have trouble with.

Koko Puff (Tapu Koko) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Tapu Koko is mainly used to set up electric terrain for stronger Volt Switches. It also provides another physical attacker. Brave bird does a decent amount damage to grass types that I have trouble dealing with like Mega-Venasaur and sub-serperior. Flynium Z isn't great, but IMO is the best item. Gigavolt havoc is only somewhat useful against chansey and otherwise doesn't do much because I already have so many electric moves, and Tapu Koko would u-turns too much for life-orb (though I haven't actually tried this yet). A lot of times people are willing to sacrifice their hazards setter after they KO my landorous, so having another defogger is super useful. I give it enough speed-evs to outspeed the 125 tier, but I intentionally want to give it slower u-turns than the opposing Tapu Koko.

Analysis:
This team is very fun to play because you usually have a lot of momentum. Making the right prediction can be very punishing or rewarding. There is a pokemon that can deal with any threat. You have to make sure that they stay alive until that threat is dealt with, and then you can use them as fodder. The biggest weakness of the team is that a single wrong move or unlucky crit can completely throw a game. There aren't any sweepers that can single-handedly turn the game around.

Weaknesses:
  • Chansey is the most annoying counter. If she protects against my rotom's trick, there's nothing I can really do to her.
  • Kommo-o with belly drum and subsitute is very difficult to deal with. The sub can take a VoltTurn or 2, so it doesn't have to worry about greninja switching in.
  • Sun teams also give me trouble because I don't have rocks, and my Magearna can't tank special hits as well.
  • Multiple ground pokemon makes it very difficult to safely Volt Switch. Excadrill in particular is bad because it can hit rotom.
Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1005339407
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1005354838
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1009593765

Hey there.

Volt-turn teams are always fun but I don't see how having 6 volt-turn users is any better than having 2-4. Stealth Rock is a must in this meta and you have a capable user of the move in Lando-T. Don't use Lax nature... Defensive Lando-T wants defenses.

I think Mega-Mane isn't adding anything to this team and it would be much better served by a heavy hitter at the end of the chain such as Mega-Medicham.

As you probably know this team is very very weak to both stall and Volcarona, as the latter will just come in on Greninja's U-turn and burn it, then your team is literally helpless after just a single QD.

For changes, the mon choices are pretty good excepet for Mega-Mane. I'd swap out for a Mega-Medicham. Your team is pretty fast so you may even go Adamant to lure Clefable but that's up to you. You can swap Greninja for Ash-Greninja, who will love all the offensive pressure. Koko can become the scarf user, and is a very good one at that. Rotom-Wash can use the ZMove to lure and whack Pex for Gren. I'm not a Rotom user so I just gave it a random spread.

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)