ORAS OU "10 More Minutes Mom!" A Gen 6/7 Mixed Defense Team

So in the whole year I played ORAS, only once did I stumble upon a team that actually had synergy and didn't completely suck. That would be this team, aptly named, "10 more minutes Mom" because it's full of Tubbys, which I love using. So here's my team! (I'll be playing it in Gen 7 too, because Mega Venu is SOOOOO anti-meta at the moment).

Rootpert (Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 100 HP / 76 Def / 252 SpA / 80 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Rootpert is the mega that has yet to fail me, this set specifically. This team was originally built around him and Tyranitar as the core mons. I like Venusaur because he checks the ever irritating fairy types and ground types, and has an all around bulk to tank hits on switch in. He's also a check for a fair number of steel types in the meta like ferrothorn and scizor which are quite threatening. He's the bread and of this team.

MOLE MAN MOLE (Excadrill) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
MOLE MAN MOLE is the main offensive cleaner for this team. I run an uncommon set on this excadrill because it works better with Ttar. Instead of rapid spin and mold breaker, I opt for swords dance with focus sash. The best aspect of it is that it catches opponents off guard and it allows me to handle the steel types like metagross (kind of) that venu can't handle. If sand is up and I'm at +2. MOLE MAN MOLE takes NO PRISONERS.

Atlas (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 18 Def / 18 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
Atlas is the other main core for this team, because he and Rootpert are best friends, being able to switch into each other all the time. And sand isn't that big of a trouble for Rootpert because I've got giga drain. Atlas is my main sand setter, Offensive bulk, trapper, and chansey check along with balloon heatran (which think's it's cheeky, then I hit it with a super power).

SGT. HAWKINS (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
SGT. HAWKINS, REPORTING FOR DUTY! SGT. HAWKINS is my main special cleaner, and pivot, and my secondary lead, because he can pivot and read the opponent. Along with life orb and a huge amount of coverage, SGT. HAWKINS is a force to be reckoned with (IF HURRICANE HITS, THAT IS)

FUN POLICE (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Cosmic Power
- Moonblast
- Wish
THE FUN POLICE HAS ARRIVED, YOU'RE UNDER ARREST FOR HAVING TOO MUCH FUN! THE FUN POLICE is my main Wish Cleric, heal beller, spdef tank, and troll to make the battle last at least 30 turns (my record is 96). Although THE FUN POLICE has an uncommon set that some don't prefer, I really like it BECAUSE it's so uncommon.

MUFFINS (Skarmory) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
MUFFINS is the chp damage queen. With rocks AND tox AND rocky helmet, it's my primary lead with how many options it has. It's also my Metagross counter (NOT CHECK) with rocky helmet + roost, but that'll only get you so far -_-

Threat List:
(Lol basically anything that's steel)
Heatran-This thing walls venu, and can set up will-o wisp to cripple excadrill and ttar. We both know focus blast is no sure thing, especially against a normally spdef heavy mon, so Tornadus is really more of a counter than a check
Bisharp-WHOOOOOIE! without sash on exca, this thing cleans at +2, because skarm doesn't really help a whole lot
Celestea-I mean, tornadus has heat wave, but Heavy slam hits HARD, and that's my only check
Phermosa-Skarm is the last line of defense, with brave bird, but Phermosa just pivots out. Venu POSSIBLY lives, if he isn't at full health
Mega Metagross-Like mentioned before, skarm is the only line of defense, possibly tornadus if metagross doesn't have rock polish or bullet punch
Chansey-Jeez dude, exca is a counter, because defensive chansey can tank an earthquake or two after set ups. Ttar can pursuit trap, but that's not stopping chansey to use twave on switch in, then spam seismic toss while I keep getting fully paraed -__-
But that's my team! Feedback is appreciated! :D

Last edited:
Before I can rate your team, do you want it to be updated as a Gen 7 team, or a ORAS team? You cite threats of both metas, and building for the metagames is very different already

Before I can rate your team, do you want it to be updated as a Gen 7 team, or a ORAS team? You cite threats of both metas, and building for the metagames is very different already
Hey, fair enough. I'd rather it be a gen 7 team, the defensive Talonflame probably shouldn't be there. I'll edit that out real quick.

I'll rate this for ORAS, as Gen. 7 isn't actually stable enough for a proper rate.

Heatran-This thing walls venu, and can set up will-o wisp to cripple excadrill and ttar. We both know focus blast is no sure thing, especially against a normally spdef heavy mon, so Tornadus is really more of a counter than a check
Bisharp-WHOOOOOIE! without sash on exca, this thing cleans at +2, because skarm doesn't really help a whole lot
Mega Metagross-Like mentioned before, skarm is the only line of defense, possibly tornadus if metagross doesn't have rock polish or bullet punch
Chansey-Jeez dude, exca is a counter, because defensive chansey can tank an earthquake or two after set ups. Ttar can pursuit trap, but that's not stopping chansey to use twave on switch in, then spam seismic toss while I keep getting fully paraed -__-
But that's my team! Feedback is appreciated! :D
Let me help you with your definitions a bit.

Counter: can switch in and win 1v1 all of the time
Hard Check: can switch in and win 1v1 most times, but loses to specific coverage, or boosted damage output based on item
Soft Check/Revenge Killer: cannot switch in, but can kill after one of your own things die, or via slow u-turn/volt switch.

The lack of hazard removal is inexcusable for a defensively inclined, of balanced team structure. You need either Defog or Rapid Spin. Replacing Excadrill for Latios, becasue I'm getting rid of Tyranitar anyhow. Flying Psychic Dragon thing, not much to explain, make smart doubles if you see a Tyranitar, don't want to be pursuit bait.

Running no speed on a CB Tyranitar is terrible, as 76 speed allows for you to outrun Skarmory and 2HKO with Stone Edge, and this lets you run Crunch over Fire Punch, however, I question the choice of it at all on a M. Venu based team, as it cuts Synthesis recovery to 1/3, instead of 1/2.
Running Landorus-t to blanket check the entire physical spectrum (only a slight exaggeration), and specifically Talonflame, as well as provide stealth rock support.

Torn-t is offensive here, and focus blast has rather poor accuracy, and redundant coverage with Heat Wave. I'd suggest running the AV Pivot set to offer a solid Gengar switch-in, and give it Knock Off.

That Clefable set is terrible, unaware, while it serves a purpose, is only viable on full stall, and it runs a clerical set. Cosmic Power is a waste, when you either need reliable recovery to abuse it, and should switch out of super effective (SE) hits anyhow. Wish, without the assistance of protect, is very unreliable, as standard Clefable narrowly avoids KOs. The EV spread is also incirrect, as in needs physical inclination in order to check some important meta threats-such as Mega Lopunny. Changed Spread in importable to standard, and gave it Calm Mind so it actually packs power. Thunder Wave is speed control. 6 Speed IVs let you run Ferrothorns out of Gyro Ball easily

I feel like Skarmory isn't doing anything here, so adding a Bisharp, Weavile, Tyranitar, Heatran and Scizor counter in Keldeo, due to Rest.

Rootpert (Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 Spe / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

SGT. HAWKINS (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

FUN POLICE (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Spe
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo @ Mystic Water
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
I'll rate this for ORAS, as Gen. 7 isn't actually stable enough for a proper rate.

Let me help you with your definitions a bit.

Counter: can switch in and win 1v1 all of the time
Hard Check: can switch in and win 1v1 most times, but loses to specific coverage, or boosted damage output based on item
Soft Check/Revenge Killer: cannot switch in, but can kill after one of your own things die, or via slow u-turn/volt switch.

Running no speed on a CB Tyranitar is terrible, as 76 speed allows for you to outrun Skarmory and 2HKO with Stone Edge, and this lets you run Crunch over Fire Punch, however, I question the choice of it at all on a M. Venu based team, as it cuts Synthesis recovery to 1/3, instead of 1/2.

That Clefable set is terrible, unaware, while it serves a purpose, is only viable on full stall, and it runs a clerical set. Cosmic Power is a waste, when you either need reliable recovery to abuse it, and should switch out of super effective (SE) hits anyhow. Wish, without the assistance of protect, is very unreliable, as standard Clefable narrowly avoids KOs. The EV spread is also incirrect, as in needs physical inclination in order to check some important meta threats-such as Mega Lopunny.
I mean, what would you run on a M Venu team? Venu and Ttar is like, a match made in heaven, type wise, and although synthesis is nerfed by the sand, I'd rather run sand to give ttar that much needed spdef boost, and it gives that always helpful chip damage to the enemy mons. The reason I run wish over cosmic power is so I can pull off a cosmic power AS WELL as regain health in one turn. It also give ttar more health back, and if need be, excadrill as well, if a switch is ABSOLUTELY needed. And heal bell works wonders. I prefer cosmic power to win games at a close when my opponent can't do anything with three mons left. I mean, yeah, my vocab needs work. Thanks for the feedback :D:heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)