Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I didn't know you played Command and Conquer
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
It's an interesting story actually. When I was a kid, the chicago soccer team's stadium in downtown chicago was undergoing construction, so they actually played in our hometown's college stadium (because it was a pretty populated town). So my family would drive downtown, go out for dinner, and then go to the soccer game.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
It was a cool experience that you couldn't do downtown chicago. So there was this bar that had $5 burgers on tuesdays (soccer game day) that we tried out, and the restaurant was actually pretty good. It became a staple of ours.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Two doors down from this bar was an internet cafe with a bunch of computers. I thought computers were cool (I didn't have a gaming pc or console at the time!) so I would always stare into the door at all the people playing (probably csgo or something). That place closed down, but a few years later my mom got me a gift of some 3-session gaming time at another computer cafe on the weekends.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
So me and this other guy in the "course" went there and we got taught how to play computer games by the owner, or something. Anyway, we were supposed to learn different games, but they booted up C&C generals and showed us how to play it and we enjoyed it so much that we just kept doing that. And then a few years later I saw the C&C classics pack in the discount bin at target and purchased it.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
For some reason, only C&C1, C&C red alert 1 (which have....bad graphics) worked. It was a total rip off! C&C tiberian sun, C&C renegade, and C&C red alert 2 were completely broken on the disc and didn't even install! So I only got to play generals which is ok because it is the best one anyway (only later did I realize that this was a very poorly received C&C game).
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Then in college I convinced my roommate to buy red alert 3 with me and do the co-op, and we did 1 or 2 missions, but he wasn't into it so I never played it again. But I still look up content for generals on youtube occasionally.

MADE IN THE US OF A!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
i ain't reading all that
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Ok.....that's fine, I guess...
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
ok i felt bad so i read it
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
can't believe there was an internet cafe that long ago in the usa
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Well this was many years ago. Not that crazy, like 2004!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
that makes even crazier??
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
That was the golden age of internet cafes lol
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
is it because people didn't have home internet?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
yeah, pretty much. but they werent so common in america compared to europe or asia. in the era of wi-fi everybody had the internet at their house so they died out