Smogon Forums

Randombobman
Randombobman
Yeah it's in my collection. Great movie, though I thought it was a bit overhyped. I'm not sure about Makoto Shinkai being the next Miyazaki as some have claimed but he definitely knows how to make a good story, to say nothing of the visuals and sound
Martin
Martin
I never really understood the comparison tbh. Miyazaki had quite a lot of influence over later directors in addition to just being very solid overall, while Shinkai is just a very solid director who has released what could be described as broadly the same movie a few times.
Martin
Martin
I do love his visual direction though, and he knows how to squeeze the most out of a high budget for sure (although I do think the effects put on top often give shots a little too much sheen).
Martin
Martin
If you want to watch something good that's based on one of Shinkai's earlier works (granted without a huge amount of direct involvement from him in the production), I suggest watching 'She and Her Cat: ~Everything Flows~', a series of four 7-minute (inc. OP/ED) shorts. It's loosely based on Shinkai's two-minute short directorial debut 'She and Her Cat' and is probably my favourite anime of all time.