Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Do you really think that the KKK actually swung the vote for trump specifically? He won by a huge margin, especially among...people that don't normally vote in elections, and those that despise the big government of the republican party (i.e. jeb bush or chris christie). The leaders in every poll every step of the way were the tea party candidates. Whether or not a few thousand KKK members would be hypothetically locked up would not have changed the result.

And on your second point: there's plenty of ideologies that have been put into practice and had disastrous consequences. Like...soviet communism for one. What about atomic or chemical weapons? They've caused some serious harm. Should we make it illegal to support nuclear weapons?
Rapti
Rapti
I really do think they did, as we seen in recent days many Nazis have crawled out of the wormwood I'm fairly certain those where a significant majority of those "people that normally don't vote"

I know of people that'd argue that since Stalin the USSSR wasn't communist at all, and while questionable Stalin did usurp his own party and kill they guy Lenin designated as his successor

As for chemical and atomic weapons, chemical weapons are already illegal as is researching nuclear weapon for counties that don't have them
and there's many many nuclear demilitarization programs for countries that do have them
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
The act of killing jews is also illegal, but you're talking about making support of a specific ideology illegal. So not just the act of building a nuclear weapon but discussing creating one would get you locked up?

Yeah stalin railroaded the USSR pretty hard, if you want to take that stance then replace russia with venezuela. Things haven't been going so well for them either.
Rapti
Rapti
Well lots of western Europe has that stance and those countries have had slightly less racial problems than the USA, it certainly hasn't led to any abuse in several countries for all the decades they've had them which is a good sign if nothing else

Neonazis have created violent act after violent act since the existed so I think criminalizing Nazi ideology is justified

as for equating nuclear weapon and Nazi ideology, well "making weapons" is not really an ideology and if any private individuals try to make one or even talk about plan for making one they'll certainly will be persecuted
some countries do have them yes but well if any country come out and says "hey I'm thinking about making some/using some nuclear weapons" they're already penalized
and just by looking at how impotent North Korea is largely because those penalizations and how if no country had said anything they probably had nuked South Korea at this point in time, I'm all for it