Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
wish there was an overarching source for everything ;_; but every time somebody links me stuff it's always contradicting each other. So that's why I usually leave that stuff be, I dunno? Perhaps it's a bit much for me to berate ppl on them but maybe we need a more well-defined set of rules.
Lumari
Lumari
yeah I hear ya x_x (though OWL only says commas between independent, coordinative clauses?) as for me though the rules that C_P and Ender taught me actually make perfect sense and do serve a purpose (can completely change the meaning of a conjunctive, e.g. 'so' being coordinate and thus meaning 'therefore' with a preceding comma but meaning 'so that' without one, or 'and', which often can be coordinate or copulative or whatever the term is depending on whether or not a comma precedes it; and if there's a rule getting rid of the ambiguity, why not follow it?) Essentially the only rule I follow is 'indepent -> comma, subordinate/non-independent -> no comma' :p Some faulty usages of commas really make no sense to me though (e.g. 'Clefable has a great movepool, and can check many threats', which is exactly the same as 'Good checks to Fairy-types include Heatran, and Scizor' because 'What does Clefable do? -> Has a great movepool and can check many threats'; makes no sense at all to physically split it) and Ender has kinda been drilling me on that sort of thing so I really go to great pains to always axe that comma or add a new subject. The sources contradicting each other really annoys me too though, which is why I basically follow the more clearly defined rule (rather than 'can go either way'; I found most sites are just silent on the '..., and ...' thing) or what makes more sense, and also on this site I think it's safe to do to what C_P does.