SV UU Double Rock HO

Hi everyone,

With the new addition of Iron Boulder to UU and the recent Garchomp ban, I thought that Iron Boulder would fit nicely on a hyper offense team, as it really can't afford to switch in twice as it loses the booster boost. Without further ado, let's get into the teambuilding process.

1. Teambuilding Process

:excadrill: :iron boulder:

Iron Boulder was originally the mon I wanted to use. I didn't really want to use screens, as I was prone to the many knockers in the tier, so I decided on a classic HO with rocks to break Oger-C's sturdy and focus sashes on psychic terrain sweepers.

:excadrill: :iron boulder: :ogerpon-cornerstone:

Because excadrill is a spin lead, it's actually really good at keeping rocks off, meaning that Oger-C benefits a lot. Rockpon matches up well against rain, as Horn Leech OHKOs :barraskewda: and Rock Ivy Cudgel OHKOs :zapdos: and hits :pelipper: for a lot of damage.

:excadrill: :iron boulder: :ogerpon-cornerstone: :greninja:

Greninja serves as a strong priority user and speed control. Dark Pulse also matches up well into Psychic Terrain teams.

:excadrill: :iron boulder: :ogerpon-cornerstone: :greninja: :scizor:

Scizor is a solid mon on HO, providing a second source of strong priority for mons like Iron Boulder. It also lives most hits from unboosted attackers as its only weakness is fire.

:excadrill: :iron boulder: :ogerpon-cornerstone: :greninja: :scizor: :kommo-o:

Kommo-o is a somewhat bulky dragon type, kind of like a garchomp replacement. I needed another special attacker, and Kommo-o fit the bill perfectly, as it provided crucial bulk.

2. Set Explanation

:excadrill:
ExtraKrillPls (Excadrill) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin​

Excadrill serves as the suicide lead for this team. Although there aren't nearly as many Magic Bouncers in the UU metagame, Mold Breaker ensures that you get your own rocks up. Rock Tomb hits lead Pelipper for nice chip damage, and with rocks up, makes Pelipper within KO range for our sweepers, as well as hitting neutral or even resisted targets for that speed drop, weakening them up for a revenge kill.

:Iron Boulder:
Iron Broiler (Iron Boulder) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Mighty Cleave
- Substitute
- Swords Dance​
Iron Boulder serves as one of the most solid setup mons. Booster Energy outspeeds most scarfers, like :greninja:, :latios:, and the rare :tornadus-therian:. EQ + Mighty Cleave gives it the fabled EdgeQuake coverage, hitting most mons for neutral sans air balloon steels. Substitute allows it to 1v1 :skeledirge:, :Toxapex:, and :Mandibuzz:. Swords dance is mandatory to take advantage of weak/passive/choice-locked -2 mons. Replace EQ/Sub with Close Combat if you're feeling particularly spicy today, but I don't think it's necessary unless you REALLY want to kill those balloon steels.

:Ogerpon-Cornerstone:
gumball. (Ogerpon-Cornerstone) (F) @ Cornerstone Mask
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off​
WIthout the threat of Defog and Sticky Web, I decided that Oger-C was the better choice over base Ogerpon. Since Excadrill is so good at keeping rocks away, Ogerpon's sturdy can really allow it to set up. Even if Excadrill lost the Exca vs Exca speed tie and Sturdy was broken, Horn Leech lets Ogerpon-Cornerstone reuse its busted ability. Ivy Cudgel (rock) gives it a positive matchup vs Rain, since it outspeeds and OHKOs Zapdos, and keeps Sturdy for Barraskewda. Knock Off hits mons like :Latios: and :Iron Crown: super effectively, OHKOing the latter after a Swords Dance.

:greninja:
GreenNinja (Greninja-Bond) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt/Surf/Ice Beam​
Greninja is a solid revenge killer, a product of its exemplary speed tier, Water Shuriken, and Battle Bond, allowing it to outspeed scarf 350s. Grass Knot lets you surprise fat Waters/Grounds looking to tank a hit. Taunt lets you stifle Defog attempts and setup moves from slower mons like :Iron crown: and :polteageist:. You can replace taunt with Surf or Ice Beam to get a better MU vs rain teams or hit Mandibuzz harder.

:scizor:
YaKnowWhatsComin (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Steel
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off​
Just to be extra careful around other Iron Boulders, I decided to pack another source of priority in Bullet Punch Scizor. LO +0 bullet punch KOs Iron Boulder (252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 338-400 (105.2 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO) vs no LO only 2HKOing it (252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). CC kills slower Steels that BP would struggle with, and Knock does big damage to neutral targets as well as make progress. Tera Steel doubles down on Bullet Punch, making this scissor bug capable of sweeping teams.

:kommo-o:
cash money (Kommo-o) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Soundproof
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Boomburst
- Flamethrower​
Last, but certainly not least, we have Kommo-o. With Garchomp gone, I needed a usably bulky yet hard-hitting dragon, and Kommo-o fit the bill perfectly. Clangorous Soul is a ridiculous setup move, especially with Throat Spray making a mediocre base 100 SpA hit 598 SpA at +2. Clanging Scales is a solid 110 BP dragon move, Boomburst is stupidly spammable, and Flamethrower hits steels. Soundproof ensures that it wins the Kommo-o 1v1.

3. (special) Matchups

:damp rock: : Since the beginning of the month, both Pelipper AND barraskewda have dropped from OU, making rain a living hell to play against. Make sure that your rocks stay up and theirs don't (lead Exca should make this easier). Some teams run Balloon Excadrill, so if you want you can run CC on Boulder to OHKO it, but in most cases the threat of CC should deter Exca from switching in. With Rocks up and strong priority, you should be able to chip down Barraskewda into either Water Shuriken range of BP range. Other than that, most other rain threats are pretty easy to deal with. Manaphy gets Taunted and Zapdos dies to either Oger-C or boosted Boulder.

:indeedee: : Make sure to conserve Greninja, which shouldn't be a problem, since most psyspam teams don't pack hazards. Put enough pressure so that Maushold doesn't get an opportunity to safely Tidy Up, since psychic terrain relies on hazard removal to keep sash on polteageist.

Stall: Borderline unplayable. Try to predict 2HKO/hope they choke and kill their whirlwinder. If the battle goes on for more than 20 turns you're basically dead

4. Importable
https://pokepast.es/0b77004a1fbfc0d7

good luck!

genisu

I COULD BE BANNED!
great job bro!, haven't used it but you might want to add some way of breaking stall(that is a crucial part of ho teams with viable stall) some taunt sweeper/stored power or smt would work great if there are any in uu

great job bro!, haven't used it but you might want to add some way of breaking stall(that is a crucial part of ho teams with viable stall) some taunt sweeper/stored power or smt would work great if there are any in uu
i should probably delete this since boulder got qb'd but yea

btw i forgot to rate this but...

1. greninja without good water stab is very very meh, you are better to use surf/hydro pump > taunt as you need to force status moves to make worth of taunt

2. sub -> close combat with tera fighting or megahorn... this allows you to hit either balloon exca or hit hydrapple and slowking very hard unboosted and even kill after one

2. it can prob be a terrakion or a booster iron crown as you lack in special attackers and it greatly appreciates gren going ham on slowking

3. first impression lokix is going to own everything so i would prob make it coba with rocks and taunt instead as this gives you a "fuck lokix" answer that can work in the mid game via trying to pivot in, taunt stuff, and just shutting down attempts of lokix first impression killing everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)