Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Who thinks Loaded Dice Battle Bond Greninja is a good idea? I’m asking it because I’ve seen a lot of Water Shurikan Loaded Dice stuff in STABmons, so how would that work with Greninja, having a 60-75 BP priority move seems like an easy way to activate Battle Bond and annihilate HO based teams.

FayaWizard

Amnesia
is an official Team Rater
Who thinks Loaded Dice Battle Bond Greninja is a good idea? I’m asking it because I’ve seen a lot of Water Shurikan Loaded Dice stuff in STABmons, so how would that work with Greninja, having a 60-75 BP priority move seems like an easy way to activate Battle Bond and annihilate HO based teams.
The problem is Greninja really is not that strong without Life Orb/Choice Specs, with a mediocre 103 special attack you're really going to struggle to pick up KOs even with your coverage. If you try to revenge kill threats instead for the boosts, 60-75 bp coming off of base 103 spattack against monsters like Roaring Moon or Volcarona really doesn't cut it nowadays. It's a shame, but Greninja just doesn't have the power to truly compete in OU. You also get beat by 2 of the 3 most common priority mons (Grassy Glide and Thunderclap), and Kingambit can easily tank a hit even at +1 and kill back.

+1 252 SpA Tera Water Greninja Water Shuriken (15 BP) (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 88-104 (25 - 29.6%) -- approx. 4HKO
Yeah, this move is not the sauce. I could see it working in a team that utilises heavy anti-grass, water and dragon measures. Maybe a core of gren, heatran and valiant could work? But at that point you are dedicating a ton of resources for a gimmick set on a somewhat gimmicky mon. I would stick with more standard gren sets, those work better.
Gren in general just doesn't have enough power, I've tried a scarf set and it just hits so limply if you aren't on a rain team, and even then I would suggest other rain mons.
The best set I can think of that could work in OU is an sd set. Gren has a suprising amount of physical coverage. With sd, shadow sneak, liquidation and one of brick break, gunk shot or ice punch, you can hit pretty hard.
+2 252 Atk Greninja Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon: 148-174 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Tera Ghost Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 64 HP / 28 Def Raging Bolt: 111-132 (27.2 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Tera Ghost Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 115-136 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 29.2% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
With the battle bond boost it could be even better. But you also share competition with waterpon in that regard, who while slower is MUCH more powerful. So yeah, don't use gren.

1st paragraph is cut a bit short, stops at match-up moth,

To not be a one liner, what are some interesting mons people have been using? I was thinking of trying tauris(any form)protean greninja and keldeo personally, just to see how they'd fare. Haven't built any teams yet though besides a Tauros-blaze one, but the team isn't good overall and needs to be scrapped

Had to log back into smogon just to state that moth to a flame is a great song choice, good job njnp, the first two lines truly reflect how HO players feel when trying to use any mon else from volcarona to check fairies such as ival/enam

"Like a moth to a flame
I'll pull you in, I'll pull you back to what you need initially"

Anyways shitposting aside, I think we need to say this because the community's collective morale has been so down in the dumps i'm wondering if someone didn't give us a shovel to start digging deeper. But basically, if you truly feel strongly about wanting to ban volcarona, get the reqs (if you can) and vote ban. Same goes if you truly feel strong about keeping volcarona. Don't let the public opinions make you feel as if it's a pointless endeavor, cause there's always a chance a silent bunch who support your view could be present, but that they lose due to not enough support cause everyone gives up. Doing so simply cause of the chance that your side losing is far worse then atleast trying to enact a change. Unfortunately, me saying all this means I must atleast tr as well as to not be a hypocrite, so uh.... goodluck to everyone getting reqs yeah i'll be back here or in suspect thread posting later on ig idk lmfaoooo...

I've been gone for awhile, and wow someone explain to me the timeline. Apparently not only have we managed to not ban anything, but we've now circled back to Volcarona? Like, what happened?

I've been gone for awhile, and wow someone explain to me the timeline. Apparently not only have we managed to not ban anything, but we've now circled back to Volcarona? Like, what happened?
CTC saved GF. And nothing else since than. It was either Wellspring or Volc for the next suspect. I honestly think Wellspring is more broken because it breaks stall so hard. I haven’t had much problems with Volc.

CTC saved GF. And nothing else since than. It was either Wellspring or Volc for the next suspect. I honestly think Wellspring is more broken because it breaks stall so hard. I haven’t had much problems with Volc.
Wait, Wellspring is back on the chopping block as well? Are we literally just going down the list now?

Wait, Wellspring is back on the chopping block as well? Are we literally just going down the list now?
Long story short just about everyone disagrees with each other because the metagame is so polarizing, it is unbelievably 50/50 from the outside looking in. No one can pick a direction and stick with it, there is way too much going on at once. Broken-checks-broken is about the worst it has been since G5OU. I will not drag other people who are just trying to enjoy their hobby down with me, but anyone who knows what is good for them has stopped trying to force themselves to enjoy an unbearable metagame.

"Woger is broken! Volcarona is broken! Raging Bolt is broken! Gouging Fire is broken! Roaring Moon is broken!" Better yet the more controversial "Kingambit is broken! Gholdengo is broken!" Wow it is almost like we have been saying the same things for months! We have circled in waves as what I can only describe as the human smogon centipede. It is so tiring to see nothing get done with so much talk. This is like a bad Scooby Doo episode.