SV OU Venusaur+Latias+Bronzong Stall

:sv/venusaur: | :sv/gliscor: | :sv/dondozo: | :sv/blissey: | :sv/latias: | :sv/bronzong:

pokepaste: :venusaur: :gliscor: :dondozo: :blissey: :latias: :bronzong:

Introduction

I know, another stall RMT (I was planning to make an RMT for two different teams, but they didn't pan out well). Anyways, after 658Greninja's success with vileplume stall and seeing the waterpon discussion, I thought "hey, venusaur can also wall waterpon decently well, so how would it work on a stall team?" And that's how it started. I did not intend to use both latias and bronzong on the stall team, but when experimenting with different mons to make venusaur shine, they just sloted into place and worked well. This team can do well against the vast majority of the metagame and with skillful tera and positioning, even more problematic matchups can be dealt with.

Proof of Peak
1711509804790.png

This is the highest I have gotten with this team (I could have gotten higher but showdown decided to put 3 high 1700's players against me in a row), which is actually the highest peak for my account overall.

The Team

:sv/venusaur:
Venusaur @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb

The star of the show, venusaur was the first piece of the puzzle for this stall team. Now, you may be wondering, why venusaur. Well, first off, it is one of only a few mons that can resist the combo of waterpon's stab moves and play rough, which is massive. But why not vileplume? While vileplume is definetely amazing due to access to effect spore and strength sap, venusaur has its own qualities that let it stand out. Firstly, venusaur has better bulk than vileplume, with its base 80/83/100 being slightly better than plume's 75/85/90. But that's not the main reason. Venusaur has two moves that vileplume doesn't get, leech seed and knock off. Leech seed is an incredibly disruptive tool and can help with recovery to stall out opponents that the team cannot deal with fully. Knock off needs no introduction, and it works pretty well on venusaur. Most mons such as glowking and ghold hate losing their items and venusaur can quite reliably get them off by suprising the opponent. This allows venusaur to be incredibly disruptive on the battlefield. HDB is of course necessary to ignore hazards, while the last two moves are standard. Sludge bomb helps venu to deal massive damage to waterpon and get poisons off, while protect can scout opponents and increase leech seed recovery. Tera dark helps boost knock off power and can help with gambit in a pinch, while ignoring it's psychic weakness. The ev's are mostly into bulk, though 16 speed evs allows venu to outspeed non-jolly gambit to get a potential leech seed off. Chlorophyll is mostly just there because overgrow doesn't help at all, though against sun teams venu can get off a fast leech seed. Overall, venusaur is an amazing mon on this team and is incredible at disrupting foes.

:sv/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Toxic

Gliscor is the dedicated spiker of the team, knock absorber and a good physical tank. The ev's on gliscor are standard, so those shouldn't be need explanation. Protect is of course mandatory on gliscor, allowing it to scout opponents and get toxic heal recovery. Knock off disrupts opposing mons and can help against opposing stall teams that rely on HDB. Spikes can pressure opposing teams and force in the removal options, which gliscor is perfect at punishing. Finally, toxic helps against many opposing mons and can chip them down immensly through toxic stall strategies. Tera steel is a bit of a recent addition, I before had tera ghost but it didn't really work that well. With tera steel, gliscor can help wall a lot of mons such as meow and weavile that might have threatened it before. Overall, gliscor is a valuable member of the team and can help win longer games for the stall team.

:sv/dondozo:
Dondozo @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This set of dondozo can deal with a lot of physical threats that might try to break through the team. I decided to go with curse dondozo over something with two attacks to deal with the strong physical threats that even non-boosted dondozo can struggle with. Tera fighting helps dozo deal with gambit much easier, which is a god send for this team. Curse of course boosts dozo's stats and can help it against many physical threats while letting it potentially sweep. Waterfall is just a good stab option on dozo and helps it against non-giga drain volc and in hitting both ghold and gambit for good damage. Finally, rest and sleep talk is mandatory on dozo to allow it wall opponents constantly. Overall, there isn't much to talk about with dondozo, it just is a good physical walling mo, and that's why its on this team.

:sv/blissey:
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Seismic Toss

The dedicated special tank of the team, blissey is a vital component to help in walling special threats. The ev spread on blissey helps it wall special threats easily, while not crumpling to light physical hits such as u-turn. Tera dark helps in the ghold matchup, walling psyshock ghold completely, while helping against stored power sweepers if bronzong is too low to deal with them. Soft boiled of course gives blissey reliable recovery to let it wall opponents over the course of the game. Calm mind means opponents can't try to set up on blissey to break it, which I think is important for a special wall to do. Shadow ball is a good allround coverage move that can deal great damage to dragapult and gholdengo, while seismic toss deals consistent damage to opponents that may not take much damage from blissey or to deal good damage to any mons switching in. Overall, blissey also doesn't need much explanation, it does its job of walling special threats and that's good for me.

:sv/latias:
Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere

The wish passer and fire/grass/water counter, latias is a great mon to blanket check a lot of threats. Latias was chosen over alomomola due to it not being setup fodder to waterpon and having decent offenses. I'll go over the ev spread first, the timid 252 speed evs is to outspeed a few mons that may try to sweep the team, or speed tie mons such as waterpon if things get dicey. The rest of course goes into hp to make it bulky. Anyways, wish on latias is to not only heal itself up, but help its teammates that lack reliable recovery in venusaur and bronzong to wall more things. Protect allows latias to scout opponents moves and safely receive its own wishes. Ice beam deals decent damage to most opponents, while also sniping lando-t's and gliscor's that think they can get funny with walling it, which happened a few times to mention. Finally, aura sphere is just a good damage option but helps a lot against gambit as it deals 73% minimum to bulky versions. Tera fairy helps against opposing dragons and helps with checking gambit, which can help a lot. Overall, latias is a crucial piece of this team, but I will admit it is the most replacable of the team.

:sv/bronzong:
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Psychic Noise

The dedicated kyurem counter of the team, bronzong is an invaluable member of the team. (Fun fact, I have used Bronzong in OU, NU and PU, and showed its strengths lmao) Although sometimes it can feel like a bit of deadweight, at other times it can wall entire teams. Bronzong's main role is walling the hell out of kyurem, which can't do anything to it, and help with stored power sweepers. The ev's are to wall a lot more mons on the physical side which means bronzong is better against mons that can only deal not very effective damage to it. Protect helps scout opponents while also getting residual lefties healing. Stealth rock allows bronzong to contribute to its teams efforts if it is walled, while also being able to do it against most rapid spinners. Body press deals great damage to many foes such as gambit and kyurem, while psychic noise also deal good damage, but helps bronzong break down wish or recovery cores. Finally, Tera fairy allows bronzong to deal with gambit and help against a lot of ghost/dark type moves that may threaten it. Overall, bronzong might seem like it is not good on this team, but by properly utilising its strengths, it can do amazingly.

Threats
:kingambit: The biggest problem for the team, kingambit can be a major pain for this stall team. Although 5 of the 6 tera's stop gambits kowtow from being super effective (though I most likely wouldn't count blissey) and I have teched stuff such as aura sphere and bp, its sheer damage is too much at times. Dondozo is the best answer to it, but a few unlucky iron head flinches could spell disaster.
:meowscarada: Although less common, boots meowscarada absolutely screws over this team. The only way's to deal with it is a tera steel from gliscor or tera fairy from latias, though the later is only alright. If it's choice locked meow, than protect scouting can do well, but boots meow can just hit everything on this team hard.
:garganacl: Another pain in the ass for this team, garg can be dealt with by careful positioning, but can be problematic. Salt cure of course ruins a lot of the team, so that rules out bronzong and venusaur out. Blissey of course can't take it on, so that leaves gliscor, dozo and latias. Gliscor can't deal much damage to garg, so only latias and dozo can deal with it. Dozo suprisingly is the better option, as it can barely live the two turns of salt cure and bp to rest again. Latias can do decent damage to it, but it isn't enough to deal with it and bp starts doing too much damage.
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2089818640 Despite stupidly losing blissey to darkrai, dozo was able to clutch the match against the volc. Venusaur helped immensly in this match, knocking off the scarf from trick ghold which could have been messy, and walling the waterpon. Bronzong also helped by dealing chip to a lot of foes.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2089395711?p2 Despite losing two mons early on due to dumb decisions, I was able to clutch the game out. Bronzong carried this game, I would have lost if it wasn't on my team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2089338592?p2 Another bronzong showcase.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2088665251?p2 Despite having to stall out a skeledirge, latias and venusaur shined in this match. Latias was able to wall the dangerous wake completely, while venusaur was able to chip many things down and remove their items.
Conclusion

So, this team I am immensely proud of as I feel I have created a good defensive backbone that can wall a lot of the metagame. It does have its shortcomings, but I feel like with proper positioning and tera utilisation, it can deal with these matchups as well. Plus, fun bonus, the first mon (in dex number) is able to find new light as a stall mon.

Last edited:
Follow up notes: If you don't like latias, then these are two mons that could replace them.
:hydrapple: It does latias' job of walling a lot of mons better, though of course bronzong and venusaur now can't get wishes. It is just a good defensive mon, though stacking grass types isn't the best and venusaur does the walling waterpon better.
Taunt:covert cloak::corviknight: Covert cloak taunt corviknight I will admit, isn't a normal stall mon. However, it does amazingly against the three worst matchups on the team. Against garg, it basically autowins as long as cloak is on it, and even if it isn't, corv can tera then switch out so it doesn't take 25% each turn. Garg can't even recover off the damage. Against meow, it can at most knock off the cloak, and as long as they don't have garg, then that is fine. Corv then becomes a knock off absorber and still walls the hell out of meow. Against gambit, it can outspeed non-jolly gambit and id up while tera'ing fighting, and if gambit sets up it can taunt it to prevent that. This is more of a gimmick, but it is one I think could work. You do stack triple fire weakness, so be careful of that.
Set btw:
Corviknight @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Roost
- Taunt

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, I'm not a stall expert, but I noticed some problems, like how you don't really beat ogerpon with venusaur, this is because you don't stop the sweep because you don't have strength sap, and your main recovery tool (protect + leech seed) doesn't even affect her, not just that, but I see problems with Weavile and Roaring Moon as well, not to mention Gholdengo or even hex pult, this is because you lack 2 main stall pillars in Clodsire and Alomomola, and while Latias and Bronzong are cool, they serve nothing in stopping these threats

Big Changes

:latias: -----> :alomomola:

Mola is the main wish passer in most stalls due to the fact that she has regenerator, which, combined with her low speed, can pivot perfectly into your other mons, and this also help starve out Garganacl's salt cure, and with tera, with tera, she can eat meowscarada's flower tricks and will help a lot vs weavile + moon by scalding and taking knock off, you don't want donzo to take knock off because if he does, he will eventually lose to even kingambit with spikes + rocks up. The moves in mola are just standard moves

Alomomola (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Protect

:bronzong: -----> :clodsire:

Again, another stall pillar in Clodsire, this is the second unawere wall that can deal with Gholdengo + boosting special treats, you should see in team preview threats that clod can handle and threats blissey can handle. As for moves, you want Pjab and or Bulldoze over eq and toxic due to the increased PP they have, while amnesia lets you boost vs special attacking treats, this will help you use less recover PP as the match goes on and on

Clodsire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Amnesia
- Recover
- Bulldoze

Small Changes:

On :venusaur: change protect for synthesis, this will essentially give you means of recover vs waterpon in hopes of outlast her

On :Blissey: change shadow ball to stealth rock to stack those hazards up and giving you better chances vs defensive builds. As well as change her to tera water, this will give you a Walking Wake counter as well as a rain ruiner combined with donzo, you dont need tera dark / steel because we have clodsire in for that

On :dondozo: change curse for body press, to have more immediate ways to deal with kingambit

On :gliscor: Just like I said on clodsire, Poison Jab / Bulldoze are always better for that sweet sweet PP

And that's it, I hope I didn't miss anything and I hope this team can help you in learning more and more about this ever-changing metagame

Although I am a niche enthusiast, mainly in stall, I agree a lot with 1LDK's suggestions.
btw, I see Darts+Hex Pult being boring as hell. You can;
1. Tera Normal Dondozo, but give up your Tera resource for Kingambit.
2. Tera Dark Gliscor or
3. Tera Dark Alomomola if you use the 1LDK's changes.
Have a random Tera Ghost as Spin-Block.

stall player here - first of all, WHY IS EVERYONE SO OPPOSED TO USING AMOONGUSS TO COUNTER WATERPON???
Now that that's out of the way, 1LDK basically covered everything, just a few tweaks.
Big Changes

:latias: -----> :alomomola:

Mola is the main wish passer in most stalls due to the fact that she has regenerator, which, combined with her low speed, can pivot perfectly into your other mons, and this also help starve out Garganacl's salt cure, and with tera, with tera, she can eat meowscarada's flower tricks and will help a lot vs weavile + moon by scalding and taking knock off, you don't want donzo to take knock off because if he does, he will eventually lose to even kingambit with spikes + rocks up. The moves in mola are just standard moves

Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Protect

:bronzong: -----> :clodsire:

Again, another stall pillar in Clodsire, this is the second unawere wall that can deal with Gholdengo + boosting special treats, you should see in team preview threats that clod can handle and threats blissey can handle. As for moves, you want Pjab and or Bulldoze over eq and toxic due to the increased PP they have, while amnesia lets you boost vs special attacking treats, this will help you use less recover PP as the match goes on and on

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Amnesia
- Recover
- Bulldoze
These are both good ideas. Latias is only more optimal into the ogerpon matchup, which is at 13% usage rn. Additionally, the only kyurem set you lose hard to in stall is freeze dry, earth power, scale shot. As such, a dedicated Kyurem counter is not needed.
Only difference I have to recommend is the EV spreads(optimizations):
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Protect
This allows mola to take special hits and wishpass. Also allows it to be a more consistent knock absorber (especially in steel tera). If you want to be better into hexwisp pult while still absorbing future sight, dark tera is also an option
EVs: 116 HP / 148 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Amnesia
- Recover
- Bulldoze
This a spread optimized for psyshock tanking without tera into tank with tera by SupaGmoney. nothing much else to say. If you drop spikes from gliscor, replace bulldoze for spikes.

Small Changes:

On :venusaur: change protect for synthesis, this will essentially give you means of recover vs waterpon in hopes of outlast her

On :Blissey: change shadow ball to stealth rock to stack those hazards up and giving you better chances vs defensive builds. As well as change her to tera water, this will give you a Walking Wake counter as well as a rain ruiner combined with donzo, you dont need tera dark / steel because we have clodsire in for that
These are both great ideas. Unless ur gonna absorb Future Sight with tera Venusaur(which steel mola is better at since its not threatened by glowking), synthesis is gonna be more consistent than protect. You also need Rocks on this team. Additionally, if you have clod, you don't need dark tera and can be Water tera to have better sun matchups.
On :dondozo: change curse for body press, to have more immediate ways to deal with kingambit

On :gliscor: Just like I said on clodsire, Poison Jab / Bulldoze are always better for that sweet sweet PP

And that's it, I hope I didn't miss anything and I hope this team can help you in learning more and more about this ever-changing metagame
Do not make either of these changes. Only reason to have body press on dozo is for waterpon, which you have a dedicated counter to. And bulldoze gliscor is just bad. Best set is the one from SupaGmoney and quacc's hydrapple stall: Spikes, Knock Off, Poison Jab, Protect.
If you want to keep the same current structure, only a few things to critique:
obviously synthesis on venu. Also, I would recommend Rest on Bronzong over protect. Otherwise ur left starving for recovery without Leftovers. Otherwise, team looks great man, congrats on the peak. (Let's hope I formatted this right lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)