Project SV OU Teambuilding Competition (Indigo Disk Edition) Cycle 11: Volcarona!

Oh shit, I've been trying to make a Garg team for a week. Unfortunately, most of them turned out to be ass, but here is one that is a bit.... less ass than the usual (still really bad).

https://pokepast.es/bd0d73e7ebf5e76a
:Garganacl::Corviknight::Clodsire::Ditto::Kingambit::Slowking-Galar:

Basically this is a hodgepodge of ideas that I stole from quacc and Vigilante8 that don't coalesce together quite well, but created a... "workable" team. According to quacc, Garg's best teammate is Tusk because of providing it crucial rapid spin support, but I elected to go for Corviknight instead for this role due to its superior defensive profile & better type synergy with Garg. I elected to go for mono Brave Bird to better handle Ogerpon. Water Absorb Clodsire is not good, but a neccessary evil here to handle the evil offensive water types dominating the metagame such as Primarina, Keldeo, and Walking Wake. Choice Scarf Ditto provides great speed control for the team, particularly against the various dangerous sweepers roaming around balance teams. It is also useful against stall due to having infinite PP. Good for Gholdengo in particular. All out attacker Kingambit is my check to other Kingambit and a useful utility piece, having good bulk and power + strong priority. Lastly Gking is my Kyurem check. Quacc used a Trick + Black Sludge Gking that I got a lot of mileage out of on his Garg team, so it felt like a really natural partner for Garg. Getting rid of boots is real nice. Perhaps I could have capitalized on that with More Knock support but.... very few Knock Off mons beat Raging Bolt (and synergize well with Garg).

Anyways this team is really bad, but its the "best" Garg team I could build

congrats to Magcargo on winning!

Cycle 8: Ogerpon-Wellspring
:sv/ogerpon-wellspring:
Broken in the eyes of some, ogerpon-w is an amazing breaker that is capable of muscling past unprepared teams. Some say it's the "ultimate anti-stall" mon. Techs like Play Rough allow it to break past traditional answers such as dragon-types.

How would you build a team that lets Ogerpon-W to rise to its full potential? You have 1 week to build!

Setup Spammers
https://pokepast.es/795065c8ea355915

:sv/garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Earthquake/Body Press

The needed guy. Setup set inspired me to make this whole team, with it slowly wearing away at opponents with Salt Cure and making them have to switch more to get free turns.

:sv/manaphy:
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Take Heart
- Acid Armor
- Scald
- Stored Power

Hey, isn't that a coincidence? My first two mons are both BL. Anyway, the mon who was contentious for a ban and finds itself in RUBL is being used as a strong double dancer and also an answer into the rare status spam team, and also using rain against it.

:Sv/ninetales:
Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Encore
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast

TaleNiners, with the classic hail and weather-disrupting service, is here. My main support for the rest of my team.

:sv/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower

Grassy Glide recovery+Leftovers=eazy +6 attack. That's literally it.

:sv/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Tera Blast

Matchup Moth! It's here as our fire in the fire-grass-water core which I just noticed I had, resident HDB mon and SNOWBALLER.

:sv/weavile:
Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ice
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

I tried to be stubborn and keep my ground, but it finally failed. I wanted a full setup team, but people all told me 'it's too MU dependent'. Well, I worked for a while with Cress, but finally, I backed down. Here we are. Triple Kicks itself.
just swap Garg for this set:
Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Power Whip
- Play Rough
I'm working on an RMT so this is kinda braindead.

https://pokepast.es/49ed5a2132ff7972
:Ting-Lu::Ogerpon-Wellspring::Landorus-Therian::Kingambit::Dragapult::Hatterene:

Very generic and uncreative Bulky Offense team. The core of Lando-T, Ogerpon, Gambit, and Dragapult is pretty damn strong, having strong offensive and defensive coverage for most of the metagame. Ting-Lu was chosen as a spiker and blanket check to everything, including stuff like Ghold, Valiant with Tera, Volcarona, etc. Hatterene serves as the teams hazard control. Pairs very nicely with Lando-T since that mon can soften EQs that hatt will be taking from stuff like Gliscor, Tusk, etc.

https://pokepast.es/c25dd70aaf234a1d
This is supposed to be a chip-down hyper offense team designed to break down shared checks for our dark spammers to sweep in the late-game. It is extremely good at doing this and overwhelming teams that rely on like just a Skarmory or a Dondozo as their physical wall. It's extremely fun to use as well. (Edit, I know this is late but I've gone and updated the team. Dnite helps a lot in the mirror and is very nice as a one-time check to something out of control. Boulder is also for mirror even though it has a tough time setting up sometimes and I've gone and changed to Deo S from Glimm to beat ID Bpress Zamazenta since it can KO with Psycho Boost once Zama's at 84% minimum. I've also changed the oger set to play rough and horn leech over encore and power whip, to make it even harder to deal with.)
:sv/Deoxys-s:
Deoxys @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Psychic
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Psycho Boost
Outspeeds everything. As nicely summed up by someone a while ago, (and I have bad memory so probably not a direct quote) click taunt, click rocks, click spikes or psycho boost if you happen to live. If you see a zamazenta on the opposing team, save this to KO zamazenta in the late-game, since if it's ID Bpress you get destroyed without it. Tera Psychic allows Psycho Boost to OHKO zamazenta from full, and you do 84% minimum to it, but even so it literally can just tera and laugh in your face. Still a tough matchup. You could also alternatively taunt them to prevent setup, although they can just switch out.

:sv/Ogerpon-Wellspring:
Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Play Rough
Ogerpon can thrive on this team, as it has multiple forms of speed control to make up for it's not amazing speed, and Ogerpon with SD is an amazing wallbreaker against balance builds that rely on something like a Skarmory or Dondozo as it can chip them down in range of a teammate's attacks. It is our main wallbreaker, and the fact that it can severely chip Dondozo is amazing, given that it can recover health against it with Horn Leech.

:sv/Iron Boulder:
Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mighty Cleave
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
Fastest mon in the metagame right now. It can be pretty threatening at +2 since it most likely is the fastest mon on any team, but it does have trouble setting up or getting revenge-killed after just one KO. Nevertheless it is a good revenge killer and late-game cleaner. Tera Fighting to screw over Gambit and I'm running Zen Headbutt because Moon runs EQ.

:sv/Roaring Moon:
Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
Moon is an amazing wallbreaker alongside Kingambit, as they can wear down shared checks for one of them to sweep in the late-game. It is extremely powerful and fast after a DD, and it is great at chipping down Skarmory and removing/chipping if they tera Great tusk for our other dark spammers to win the game. I have EQ for Raging Bolt, but Taunt definitely improves the team's matchup into balance and stall.

:sv/Dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Spinner
- Earthquake
Extreme speed is extremely good as it can really rip apart offensive teams or other HO teams at +1 with Tera Normal Espeed. It is not only a really good late-game wincon and cleaner, it has good consistency given that the move it spams has good coverage with ice spinner and eq, and it gets basically guaranteed setup in every single game. It is amazing into HO mirror since it can revenge kill threats over and over again. Very solid mon.

:sv/Kingambit:
Kingambit @ Lum Berry
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
Kingambit is here because obviously, it's the most consistent wincon in the game right now. I didn't go for Iron Head because I think this team has enough ways of dealing with Fairies, and it allows gambit to beat other gambit in the endgame, as well as doing a lot of damage to Dozo and Skarmory, more than Kowtow Cleave or Iron Head would with Tera Fighting. Tera fighting boosts low kick and allows us to resist opposing Gambit's sucker punches and Lum Berry makes Kingambit less afraid of will o or twave from something like a Dragapult.

Last edited:
A
B
C

Voting time! As always, you have 2-3 days to cast your vote.

NotDaProGamer Sorry, your submission doesn't count. We want people to put at least a minimum level of effort into their builds, as one of this project's obiectives is to show how good teams built around some specific 'mon or core look like-- something that you don't always find on sample teams. You're not supposed to submit teams just for the sake of it. I hope this doesn't stop you from submitting teams in the future, you're more than welcome to! As long as you put in a minimum level of effort. Thank you!

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
congrats to DiscoDucky on winning!

Cycle 8: Unorthodox Dragonite
:sv/dragonite:
Please read carefully: the teambuilding competition hosts have decided to try out a slate with an extra constraint on building. This SPL has really shown us the versatility of Dragonite's movepool, so we've decided to enforce a ban on its more common sets. Therefore, when building, you must use a Dragonite set that lacks one or both of Dragon Dance or Extreme Speed. We hope to see some creativity from you all, but here are some examples of sets that comply with this restriction:
Dragonite (F) @ Loaded Dice
Tera Type: Fire
Jolly Nature
- Scale Shot
- Fire Punch
- Encore
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 Atk / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Mild Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Dragonite (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 156 HP / 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Haze
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Roost

Dragonite @ Eject Pack
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 160 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Encore
- Roost

How would you build a team that lets Dragonite to rise to its full potential? You have 1 week to build!

https://pokepast.es/09f15fec4ddfb288
This is an interesting team, which has the exact same members as one of my previous posts but completely different sets.
:sv/kyurem:
Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ice
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
We are using Specs Kyurem here, which is just STRONK. Same basic concept as my previous team, put a lot of hazard removal and several hazard-weak mons on.

:sv/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
Hatterene is now a Calm Minder due to Enamorus being our resident Healing Wish mon. This provides the ability to be a wincon that spirals out of control.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Banded outrage is strong, banded ESpeed is good for revenge kills, moves are good for pivoting. That's literally it.

:sv/great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Spinner
- Headlong Rush
- Temper Flare
We have a Temper Flare Tusk here, which is used to smack Gholdengo. Not much else has been edited.

:SV/ENAMORUS:
Enamorus (F) @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
Hasty Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Tera Blast
- Healing Wish
Physical Stellar Blast? Yep, that's Enam! LOrb is on here to allow us to switch from Superpower to Healing Wish, although Scarf can be used for a faster Healing Wish.

:sv/gouging fire:
Gouging Fire @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 104 Def / 16 SpD / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Breaking Swipe
- Morning Sun
Woohoo! I get walled by Heatran!
No, but this set is a good disrupter. That's why it's here!

https://pokepast.es/6853f82b3e497eb7
So, in the past I made a dragonite stall team, and after making some revisions (I am a lot better at making stall now), here is the team.
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Haze
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch
Dragonite has a lot of bulk with multiscale, and with haze + roost, it can stall out a lot of attackers. Dragon tail allows it to phaze attackers out to get hazards damage. Fire punch can deal with steel types that resist dragon, while chunking steel types like ghold which may be a bit more of a problem.
:sv/dondozo:
Dondozo @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Waterfall
- Body Press
- Sleep Talk
Dedicated defensive wall of the team, dondozo does its usual tricks of walling physical threats. Very staple set, tera fighting bp allows it to deal with gambit easier.
:sv/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
Gliscor is another physically defensive wall on this team, and it also gets up spikes and will make them sting due to knock off removing HDB, which is great for dragonite. Poison jab helps deal with the fairy types that can be immune to dragonite's d-tail.
:sv/talonflame:
Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 200 HP / 248 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
Due to forgoing HDB in order to give dragonite more longevity in non-hazardless scenarios, talonflame is essential. It acts as a deterence to steel types or fairy types that would like to wall dragonite, while getting d-nite in for free with u-turn against faster oppponents.
:sv/blissey:
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
The dedicated special wall on the team, blissey helps deal with a lot of annoying threats. It can help with raging bolt quite well, while also setting up stealth rocks for dragonite to keep more phazing damage.
:sv/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Haze
- Recover
- Infestation
Toxapex helps trap annoying fairy types for the team, and can help with ghold in a pinch. Infestation helps lock down key targets, while surf can deal decent damage to ghold or tusk, which can be a bit troublesome for the team plan.

:dragonite: :pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Iron Treads: :Kingambit: :Iron Valiant:

https://pokepast.es/b630ca48751e84de

Built this rain team around Special Dragonite because I remember using a similar set way back in Gen V. I started out with Pelipper and Barraskewda, both of which are fairly boilerplate for OU rain. Special DNite aims to check Rillaboom, Dondozo, and Ogerpon. Iron Treads is primarily my lead. Valiant and Kingambit are just boilerplate offensive Pokemon. The former helps deal with set-up sweepers. THe latter is Kingambit.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/f59c32bcbb19561f
:Dragonite: :Zamazenta: :Cinderace: :Landorus-Therian: :Clefable: :Darkrai:

A Dragonite bulky offense team. AV Dragonite was an idea I had initially after using it to great success in BSS and having fun with it on PinecoIsHot's team that they built a while back. In 1v1 scenarios, it is able to check a decent number of threats such as Volcarona, Iron Moth, Lando-T, etc. With Thunderbolt + Ice Beam, it can lure and surprise a number of mons such as Gliscor, Skarmory, Corviknight, and Dondozo. We take advantage of this with ID + BP Zamazenta, which has an easier time sweeping with these threats removed. Chesto Rest + Tera Dark gives it an easier time vs faster mons like Deo-S, Dragapult, etc, as it can heal off potential burns + resist their moves. Useful in other scenarios too such as against strong attackers. Cinderace acts as the teams main form of hazard control. It can help with Gambit via wisp, Volcarona with Pyro Ball, and can bring in other members like Lando-T in safely. Lando-T is our primary Zamazenta check & rocks setter + pivot. Clefable is there to somewhat check Kyurem, cripple opposing booster mons like Valiant, and spread paralysis. Lastly, Darkrai acts as a secondary form of speed control to help with Dragapult, emergency check sweepers with Trick, and be an all around nuisance. Tera Poison Sludge bomb can help us with Fairies, which this team can struggle with.

From using this team, it has issues dealing with threats with longevity and good stats. In particular, Clefable, Tera Garganacl, and Gliscor can be very annoying to play around. Bulky, defense boosting threats such as Okidogi and Ceruledge in G-Terrain have been annoying to fight as well. Fairy-types in general have been a massive annoyance for this team, given that our sole resist is Cinderace. In particular, fighting CM Primarina can be very difficult, though there are lines one can take to have a somewhat workable chance against that mon specifically.

Huge shoutout to leng loi for helping build and test the team. I had another idea for an AV DNite team that simply didn't work out, so I'm glad she was able to help me flesh out the concept better and have a stronger final team with some cool sets mixed in as well.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
https://pokepast.es/e70bd97f2a2ae09c

Utility Dragonite with Lucario and the state of BO in sv

:sv/dragonite: :sv/lucario: :sv/great tusk: :sv/slowking galar: :sv/ting lu: :sv/Zapdos:

Context: Leng asked to participate because they need bodies to throw at this, and fuck it, it's not like I got anything better to do. I know 100% this team sucks fat dick, but I outstalled a sub toxic protect eq gliscor with wish support, so I don't give 2 shits about anyone's opinion. Shout-outs to awyp and A1Gallade for being real ones that actually helped me and listened instead of being as unfunny as an average redditor and as helpful as a police officer in the US

:Dragonite: thanks to A1 Gallade for the set, I initially tried specs, but it sucked so bad I actually gave up, but then when I talked to him about it, he suggested and got invested (even tho he hasn't played in like a year) you lure things with your coverage like skarm, gliscor, tusk, and with roost you stay alive, simple yet kinda original

:lucario: Initially I put him on the team to make it seem like he was the special attacker and dnite the physical one, but as it turns out, Lucario is a straight upgrade when gimping yourself, like seriously this thing sweeps when you least expect it. Meteor Mash fails when you need it to hit, but it's fine, sd + espeed with life orb demolishes volcarona for free and most things cannot wall it, and drain punch because I need to self sustain out the Life Orb, I know LO in this meta is asking to get fucked by hazards, but It's what we have to work with

:great tusk: :slowking galar: :ting lu: :zapdos:

The rest of the team is your average "I am an evil person who gets everyone else having fun" so that's why I'm using the gkingzapting core, you fish for paras on zapdos and with glowking you offer offensive pressure and momentum. While ting + tusk get the hazard duty of putting and removing hazards + general tanking alongside the other members

As for matchups: Don't even try winning vs stall because you won't, Weavile also fucks the team, but you can sack zapdos for para or let lucario tank the knock and force it out. And Hat, yeah, just Hat, and moon wins if you don't proc the 99.9 para chance with zapdos

MIXED DANCER DRAGONITE
:sv/great-tusk: :sv/dragonite: :sv/slowking-galar: :sv/weavile: :sv/zamazenta: :sv/iron-valiant:

CLICK ON THE SPRITES TO OPEN THE POKEPASTE
Made this Dragonite set after using Loaded Dice + Scale Shot a lot in BSS, it's a nice cleaner and the multi-hit to break focus sash is valuable, (darkrai, samurott-h, deoxys-s, meowscarada, etc...) going with Tera Fire to not get bothered by burn, especially vs Dragapult / Cinderace. Hurricane is a huge value vs Great-Tusk / Dondozo. (Dragonite wins the duel)
So due to not having Extreme Speed, I added Weavile to have a priority move to deal with Roaring Moon, the opposite Dragonite, Rillaboom, dragapult, hawlucha, etc...
The rest is pretty standard, I use slowking-galar as a future sight support, also to Paralyze potential sweepers as Volcarona and Walking wake.
The future sight support is needed to force the progress and allow a sweep by any of the rest of the team. (except Tusk which is here for the hazard control)
Trick valiant to not get cooked by any unexpexcted and malicious set and to open some ways vs stall/fat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)