Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

i’m really tired of this attitude, as though one cannot remark upon the state of the meta without getting reqs. not only is it totally irrelevant to what i said, it’s also obscenely condescending. maybe i don’t enjoy going for reqs, maybe i am also too busy, maybe i wasn’t playing during the time of the suspect, maybe the process of going for reqs causes me anxiety - frankly, it’s none of your business what i do or say after the fact.

“complaining too much” in this case is actually a single post on the subject.

i’ll hop in my time machine & be sure to go 30-0

Magcargo i’ll respond properly to your post tomorrow, but i’ll just say that almost all of the checks/counters to kyurem you listed simply fold to specs, especially with tera ice.
Lmao. Then don’t rant how it’s “madness” that Kyurem remains in the tier.

People voted based on their beliefs about Kyurem. It was a democratic process. The vote was close. You chose to not take part (that’s cool).

But it’s just distasteful to call the outcome “madness” when there were legitimate BAN and DNB arguments on both sides, in a suspect process you did not participate in, or even try to get reqs.

It is everyones’ business because frankly, these kinds of “complaints” are annoying and turn this thread into a circlejerk.

why are we suspect testing gouging fire when we could simply unban landorus-I and bloodmoon ursaluna so we have more pokemon that could beat it? is the OU council stupid?
I must condemn you for this quote now as even assuming it was a joke, Poe's Law has led to the thread going THERE again.

do you think that duraludon should be in the viability list in the lower tiers?

it does look like an okay but not great bulky offense pokemon.

it is no longer outclassed by its evolution.
Archaludon had no impact on Duraludon usage in low tiers. Duraludon just isn't great. Even Archaludon kind of sucks without rain

do you think that duraludon should be in the viability list in the lower tiers?

it does look like an okay but not great bulky offense pokemon.

it is no longer outclassed by its evolution.
I mean, its bulky??? Idk what more to say, its ranked in NU, so it is alright in a lower tier (which just got a massive shakeup, so its probs going to PU).
Not much more I can say, I would rather use another steel type or dragon type, or Hoodra which is both, despite the fact Dura and it fill different niches.

To change the topic of discussion from Miraidon and unbanning lando-i to counter gouging fire (truly, some of yall are batshit insane), has there been any discussion regarding suspect requirements? In my 10+ years on this site, I've seen some people complain about having to slog through low ladder every two weeks to get reqs while others complain reqs are too easy. Let me present to you, a compromise:

Raise GXE requirements to something like 85% GXE.... BUT, getting reqs allows you to vote not only in this suspect test, but the following 1-2 suspects as well.

Yes, the first suspect with this system will undoubtedly have less voters than previous ones, but it should even out after a suspect or two. This compromise is a two-fold fix:
  1. For those complaining that suspects are too easy/inclusive, this raises the general bar for those voting without drastically increasing the time it takes to get reqs. You'll get roughly the same amount of voters after a suspect or two, but the general skill level will be higher.
  2. For those complaining that reqs are too luck-dependent/time consuming, you get an actual reward for your time other than "your vote might matter" and a little tiering badge. Suspect didn't go the way you liked after 2-3 hours of grinding the shit SV OU ladder? All good, at least you don't have to grind the next one.
I know this is more of a tiering policy discussion post, rather than metagame discussion, but I thought this would be a good place to just word-vomit my thoughts on it. 3/4 of the 322 pages here is crazy stuff, anyways. Open to other ideas or criticism.

this is the last i’ll say on this, as i’m close to just asking who the f do you think you are. have a good one.
Edit: also, y'all zoomers need to put some respect on my boy tj's name. He, like me, has been playing pokes competitively/contributing to this site since you were in diapers. Disregarding his opinion because he didn't participate in a suspect is disingenuous and quite rude.

Last edited:
Raise GXE requirements to something like 85% GXE.... BUT, getting reqs allows you to vote not only in this suspect test, but the following 1-2 suspects as well.
The point of the reqs is that it certify you have a reasonable understanding of the metagame and thus you can vote knowingly.
Giving the ability to vote on other suspect that can happen like 1-2 month latter with a completely different meta seems kinda unadvised...

The point of a suspect is to help show a person is able to have a decent enough understanding of the metagame at that point in time that they're able to get those reqs. The metagame in a following suspect that could happen anywhere from a month to two or more later will be different, and no one should be able to automatically vote on that suspect just because they got reqs for an earlier one, as they may not know the newer version of the metagame well enough to make an informed decision.

I do think it's unfair to complain about the results of a suspect test if you yourself did not put in the effort to ladder for reqs, especially since the vote was insanely close. Do I like Kyurem being stuck in the tier? No, I voted ban and tried to convince as many people as I could to vote ban as well. But for better or for worse, the playerbase has decided to keep Kyurem in the tier, and there's no use in complaining about it (especially since we won't be able to get a suspect for quite a while), and instead we should examine other threats of the metagame to see if they should be banned instead, like Gouging Fire and Ogerpon-Wellspring.
I don't care if you think it's unfair, I think the people who voted DNB (and many of them would agree with me) made an objectively bad choice during the Kingambit suspect. I'm tired of having to put 2 fighting types on every team, I'm tired of being punished because I had the audacity to be winning. I'm just tired of this fucking chess piece in this format and it needed to go a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so what are people's thoughts on ting-lu? I've seen little of it on ladder when I play for some reason. Still really good mon, but it's weird I never see it.

Okay, so what are people's thoughts on ting-lu? I've seen little of it on ladder when I play for some reason. Still really good mon, but it's weird I never see it.
Its not that great into weather teams. youd think itd be the perfect answer to raging bolt but walking wake and venusaur do 70%+ with their stab on sun teams, and barraskewda OHKOs on rain teams. Its still a gross pokemon i dont think its deadweight or anything but the metagame has the firepower right now to muscle past it, and quickly. even balance teams can deal big damage with ogerpon, zama, weavile or rilla. I've always stated im agaisnt the broken checks broken precedent. however, defensive powecreep has been pretty nasty as well. without the extreme offensive power of dlc2 gen 9, pokemon like ting lu are horrendous to try and break. I've definitely been putting some thought lately into which type of metagame i like the most.

Too passive for most of my teams, which tend to be balance or offense, yet not enough heals for a stall team unless you pack enough Wish support. It's still good. It's just really easy to chip, especially with U-turn, the fighting coverage everyone packs for Gambit, the Ice coverage everyone packs for Gliscor, etc. Personally, I usually run more offensive grounds or Gliscor on my teams. Some teams do need a bulky ground that can switch into Bolt. In this case, I tend prefer Ting-Lu to Clod in most cases for the phasing ability. But that might not be the meta correct answer since Clod has recovery and is probably better into more matchups.

One personal preference thing is that I largely phased out running mons like Garg because they were too passive for my taste. Sometimes I will run the metal birds or Gliscor because they are good. But most of the things I run tend to be able to be pivots and/or more active somehow. Gen 9 just really favors being able to keep the pressure up.

One personal preference thing is that I largely phased out running mons like Garg because they were too passive for my taste. Sometimes I will run the metal birds or Gliscor because they are good. But most of the things I run tend to be able to be pivots and/or more active somehow. Gen 9 just really favors being able to keep the pressure up
Honestly, yes, because on paper mons like Garg and gliscor should be the best mons ever, but they are kinda passive. Gliscor can get around it by having offensive variants, knock absorber and status absorber, while Garg does have salt cure. I feel like if the meta wasn't so offensive, then they could be broken, but lots of teams can just hit them hard before they start there shit. When people say these mons are broken, it's because they are being passive and not just hitting them hard. They are good skill checks to make sure your team isn't passive, which will get you destroyed in this meta.

Okay, ice beam blissey is kinda great, as it can threaten a lot of mons that it otherwise couldn't. Tusk, moon, enamorus, dragonite, dragapult, gliscor, lando-t, meow, raging bolt, rilla, serp and ting all get threatened by ice beam. Pair that up with flamethrower, and blissey can be kinda a threat.
I used it to threaten out gliscor, but look at these calcs against these mons:
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 170-202 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 102-120 (29 - 34.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 16 SpD Gliscor: 256-304 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 130-154 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Meowscarada: 136-162 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 136-162 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Raging Bolt: 112-134 (27.5 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 102-122 (31.5 - 37.7%) -- 89.2% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 124-146 (42.9 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 248-292 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 108-128 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 66-78 (12.8 - 15.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever (lmao, ignore this calc)
Although most of these calcs are not OHKOs, at worst you are doing 30%, though most are 2hit kos (except one). It can screw people over a lot, and I find it very enjoyable to see things that would usually switch into blissey just die.

Okay, ice beam blissey is kinda great, as it can threaten a lot of mons that it otherwise couldn't. Tusk, moon, enamorus, dragonite, dragapult, gliscor, lando-t, meow, raging bolt, rilla, serp and ting all get threatened by ice beam. Pair that up with flamethrower, and blissey can be kinda a threat.
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 170-202 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 102-120 (29 - 34.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 16 SpD Gliscor: 256-304 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 130-154 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Meowscarada: 136-162 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 136-162 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Raging Bolt: 112-134 (27.5 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 102-122 (31.5 - 37.7%) -- 89.2% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 124-146 (42.9 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 248-292 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 108-128 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 66-78 (12.8 - 15.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever (lmao, ignore this calc)
Although most of these calcs are not OHKOs, at worst you are doing 30%, though most are 2hit kos (except one). It can screw people over a lot, and I find it very enjoyable to see things that would usually switch into blissey just die.
And people also use Calm Mind on this as well! I can imagine this sweeping a team.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
IMG_3367.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

We are so back.