Past Generations C&C Discussion Thread

Okay so, I'm not sure if this post is going to be good enough, but I felt it necessary:

this Happiny Gen 4 LC analysis is bad

It's old, firstly, so it's questionable about accuracy. But that isn't the main issue. The main issue is that it's this very long fanfic about fat-shaming a Pocket Monster (trademark), givinf random Pokemon stereotypical mental illnesses and random psycho-analysis about how the tiers' Pokemon would work as like... a community? It feels unhelpful, unfunny, and I've never found someone who doesn't find it disturbing.

I'm not saying get rid of all of it, but we could probably remove some parts at least or take its information at the time and not make it *this*.

If you've never read it before, here's an excerpt:

"But, although she hated Bronzor oh so much, she could not bear to hurt him. You see, Happiny loved Bronzor, once upon a time. She used to watch him from the bushes as he Recycled trash; as he showered himself with his static Rain Dance; as he polished his lustrous coat. She used to smell him; fondle him while he slept; and stand in front of him intentionally so as to feel his soft breath brush against the nape of her nonexistent neck. One day, Happiny mustered enough courage to ask Bronzor to the Poke Ball that was held every winter, and to her unending joy, he said yes. However, to her shock, on the day of the dance, Happiny was left alone; Bronzor had eloped with Buneary to Cancun."

This part is especially weird because this awful fanfic-esque page both has this weird... sexual? shit along with "oh they are children on a playground"

I just think this is such a weird one and unlike other joke articles, doesn't Hit

Who thought that having bad pedophilic fanfic in the Strategy Dex was a good idea? Who do you think would want to read a story about children on a playground sexually fondling each other? It is not even funny or original because it is just about a bunch of children having sexual affairs. All that this story manages to be is boring and disturbing. No wonder that rumors go around about Smogon being governed by pedophiles if you put shit like this in the Dex.

I normally love the joke entries for bad Pokémon and humor is subjective, but I think that pedophilia is better left out of the Strategy Dex.

I read it, and the content is very questionable, so it's removed now. Happiny isn't ranked in the DPP LC VR anyway and it's an NFE so nothing lost. If any other analyses like these exist then post them here.
this is a particularly massive, horrendously huge W

thank you very much ^^

Gulpin is an interesting case: it's been blacklisted for analysis reservation in XY and SM and I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind this decision.

The earliest mention of a reasoning I could dig up was this from sparktrain:

sparktrain said:
Gulpin is on the list because it's heavily outclassed by other Sticky Hold users and Poison-types. Trubbish[...]is a much better choice overall, as it can restore its own Berry Juice with Recycle, can set Spikes or Toxic Spikes to capitalize on forced switches, has access to Drain Punch, and has a better Speed stat, all of which give it an actually usable niche in the metagame. As a wall with Eviolite + Pain Split, Gulpin is outclassed by Koffing, which has great physical bulk and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers and wear stuff down, and isn't easily trapped and eliminated by Diglett thanks to Levitate. Even if Gulpin tries running an offensive set, or like, a boosting set with Stockpile or Curse, you're better off with Grimer, which has a much better Attack stat, as well as comparable bulk and coverage options to work with. Grimer itself is pretty mediocre anyway; there are straight-up better offensive Poison-types to choose from, such as Gastly, Skrelp, and Croagunk, which offer more immediate power, secondary STAB, and several other advantages over Gulpin.
Now, sparktrain is onto something here: Gulpin is entirely outclassed by Trubbish and Grimer, with its only notable niche at a glance being its access to a wide special movepool and Yawn. This mon sucks ass.

But I don't really understand why simply being outclassed is enough to make Gulpin blacklisted, in a category among nigh unusable Pokemon like Combee, Magikarp and Beldum. Gulpin is perfectly usable; you're just better off with other options. And that describes like 60% of the LC mons that DO have analyses in the dex.

For example: in SM LC, why use Bonsly if it's outclassed by Geodude who in of itself is outclassed by Onix?:
Bonsly is overwhelmingly outclassed in its role as a Stealth Rock user. It is utterly outclassed by Geodude, which boasts a better typing, better Speed, and the ability to viably run an Adamant nature, and Onix mostly outclasses Geodude thanks to its higher Speed and much higher versatility.
Don't know, but Bonsly DOES have an analysis up on the site.

Or Nidoran-F, who's outclassed by literally every Toxic Spikes user in the metagame and whose analysis even mentions that it's bad?
Although it has access to Toxic Spikes, Nidoran-F is entirely outclassed as a defensive Toxic Spikes setter by Mareanie and Koffing, which boast better bulk. Other Poison-type Pokemon such as Foongus and Alolan Grimer also outclass it defensively and offensively as well. As such, Nidoran-F is bad and shouldn't be used.
No idea, but Nidoran-F also has an analysis up on the site.

Or Oshawott, who's outclassed by every offensive Water-type in the metagame?
As a pure Water-type in LC, Oshawott is outclassed in all aspects. Staryu is a better special attacker due to it being faster and having more coverage, and Corphish is a better physical attacker because it has Adaptability. Defensively, Oshawott is unable to compete against the likes of Frillish and Mareanie due to their reliable recovery and secondary typings, which gives them more resistances. These Pokemon leave little room for Oshawott to carve a niche in the Little Cup Metagame.
The list goes on and on, I don't exactly see why Gulpin belongs on the blacklist while stuff like these are perfectly fine to get short analyses detailing why you shouldn't use it. I think Gulpin should be taken off the blacklist and be available for mini analysis reservation for SM LC just for the sake of completion but I do understand that writing an analysis for an unviable shitmon is the lowest of the lowest priorities for the oldgens LC council and if this isn't feasible, I think Gulpin should be removed from the reservation blacklist for future gens (though that latter suggestion may be better brought up to the current LC council).

If anyone's able to provide a more detailed explanation as to why Gulpin is on the blacklist while the others I've listed aren't though, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Gulpin deez nuts.

Last edited:
I already spoke with Earthworm, but they said I should post the changes I had in mind for how analyses are/could be done here. Essentially, I want to propose a new section in analyses that would allow for replays to be added (of course these would have to include the Pokémon of their respective analyses). These replays would reinforce concepts previously stated in the article, specifically team building and counter play—what to consider when playing against and with the Pokémon, and overall, the replays would assist players in adjusting to the tier. I don’t intend for this to be a requirement, since that would mean that all previous analyses would have to be redone—rather, I had hoped it would just be an optional section. If it is included, it would also help with diversifying and improving how information is presented in analyses. For example, when explaining an intricate situation in an analysis, one could say: “See replay 2 for an example of this interaction/set/counter/etc.”

Last edited:

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
I already spoke with Earthworm, but they said I should post the changes I had in mind for how analyses are/could be done here. Essentially, I want to propose a new section in analyses that would allow for replays to be added (of course these would have to include the Pokémon of their respective analyses). These replays would reinforce concepts previously stated in the article, specifically team building and counter play—what to consider when playing against and with the Pokémon—, and overall, the replays would assist players in adjusting to the tier. I don’t intend for this to be a requirement, since that would mean that all previous analyses would have to be redone—rather, I had hoped it would just be an optional section. If it is included, it would also help with diversifying and improving how information is presented in analyses. For example, when explaining an intricate situation in an analysis, one could say: “See replay 2 for an example of this interaction/set/counter/etc.”
This is a nice idea that extends from what's already done in media spotlights. I'll bring it up to the rest in C&C. Thanks!

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I would like to suggest a couple of changes to the dex as a result of PU being added to the DPP and BW Pokedexes.

1. Before PU was added to BW, everything not NU by usage was listed as 'Untiered', just as everything not PU by usage is listed that way in the three generations after it. However, when PU was added all those Pokemon became PU. This might be off-putting to people that want to look at the tier page and see sets for Pokemon that are actually viable in the tier, as opposed to a massive long list that mixes them all in with the likes of Castform, Delibird and Unown. As a result, I would suggest that the PU page be changed to only class Pokemon that are PU by usage as PU, especially as there is a BW ZU, and everything not PU by usage becomes Untiered.

2. Further to this, as NU is no longer the lowest tier in BW it might be a good idea to remove all the NU analyses for unviable Pokemon, or perhaps some for Pokemon that are also not viable in PU could be tweaked to explain the Pokemon's unviability there instead.

3. DPP PU has sample sets for four Pokemon, but no mention of any Pokemon that is actually PU (they are all listed as NU) and no format description, so currently the page serves no real purpose. It would improve accessibility to add some more information.

Runo

How it feels to procrastinate on everything
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
hey I found an error with the Girafarig analysis for XY PU

Under the "Moves" section
"...solid STAB moves; Psychic hits special walls such as Roselia and Clefairy harder than Psychic, and Hyper Voice..."

pretty sure it's meant to say Psyshock, as per the moveset.

*They fixed the error.

Last edited:
I recently noticed that the exceptions to the Z-Move base power rule are all incorrect in their SM descriptions. For example, Gear Grind's page is listed as such:

"Hits twice. If the first hit breaks the target's substitute, it will take damage for the second hit.
Z-Move Base Power: 100 "

The Z-Move base power should be 180.

The following moves currently have inaccurate Z-Move base powers. The accurate base powers for their Z-moves are listed below, right next to their names.

Core Enforcer: 140
Fissure: 180
Flying Press: 170
Gear Grind: 180
Guillotine: 180
Hex: 160
Horn Drill: 180
Mega Drain: 120
Sheer Cold: 180
Struggle: 1
Weather Ball: 160
V-Create: 220

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
In the CMS queue, there are a number of old submissions for past generations that have not been uploaded (the affected tiers are RB OU, RB NU, DP UU, XY UU and SM OU). Would it please be possible for a moderator from the appropriate tiers to review these submissions and either upload or delete them?

Just a small correction:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/azelf/
Set Details (choice band)

(.....)Another choice is make Azelf even more bulky with 8 HP / 224 Atk / 228 SpD / 56 Spe with a Jolly nature that survives Choice Specs Starmie Hydro Pump while still outspeeding Roserade. This spread still OHKOes Heatran and non physically bulky Bronzong, but only has a 6.3% chance to OHKO maximum HP Metagross with Explosion.

That ev spread is suboptimal and should be changed because is runing 6 evs more than allowed and a better ev spread exists with Adamant nature:

EVs: 8 HP / 108 Atk / 228 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature

You can run 168 Spe but you still outspeed Roserade with 164 spe.

Just a small correction:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/azelf/
Set Details (choice band)

(.....)Another choice is make Azelf even more bulky with 8 HP / 224 Atk / 228 SpD / 56 Spe with a Jolly nature that survives Choice Specs Starmie Hydro Pump while still outspeeding Roserade. This spread still OHKOes Heatran and non physically bulky Bronzong, but only has a 6.3% chance to OHKO maximum HP Metagross with Explosion.

That ev spread is suboptimal and should be changed because is runing 6 evs more than allowed and a better ev spread exists with Adamant nature:

EVs: 8 HP / 108 Atk / 228 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature

You can run 168 Spe but you still outspeed Roserade with 164 spe.
I fixed this, thanks for pointing it out!

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
There's no mention of SS anywhere in this forum - are there any plans to have SS analyses still written and updated now? If anything, SS is arguably the most needing of updates and analyses as many are outdated or simply nonexistent

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
There's no mention of SS anywhere in this forum - are there any plans to have SS analyses still written and updated now? If anything, SS is arguably the most needing of updates and analyses as many are outdated or simply nonexistent
a lot of the SS subforums still exist and fall under the jurisdiction of whatever QC team they had at the time. You can literally go to the SS OU C&C subforum and see for yourself.

I was reading through some of the BW RU analyses and I noticed that a lot of them mention sleep moves in some way or another despite them being banned. For example, Magmortar's lone suggested set and all three of Primeape's suggested sets have Vital Spirit as an ability, both of Amoonguss's suggested sets have Spore, and both of Lilligant's suggested sets as well as both of Tangrowth's suggested sets have Sleep Powder.

https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/farfetchd/

Not a good mon, but the second set run 252 evs in attack and adamant nature with ....no physical moves.

I sugest this evs:

Farfetch’d @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Attract
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Baton Pass

Same speed (205) and more bulk. But honestly, in the evs (under other options) the analysis say that you only need 198 speed so...

Farfetch’d @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 40 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Attract
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Baton Pass

This better then (hits 198 speed). Max HP and rest in defenses, no specific calcs involved because is Farfetch'd and can be changed.
Only the evs in speed are non-negotiable though.

Can sharpedo get a bw ou analysis? It has a tiny but relevant niche as a late game cleaner on rain teams thanks to speed boost, it’s water stab and the ability to deal with common rain checks like latios, Starmie, and jellicent with to stab crunch.

Can sharpedo get a bw ou analysis? It has a tiny but relevant niche as a late game cleaner on rain teams thanks to speed boost, it’s water stab and the ability to deal with common rain checks like latios, Starmie, and jellicent with to stab crunch.
i think theres alr one on the forum

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
a lot of the SS subforums still exist and fall under the jurisdiction of whatever QC team they had at the time. You can literally go to the SS OU C&C subforum and see for yourself.
said forums no longer exist, whats up w ss/when will a qc team be established again/when will it be possible to write for those

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
said forums no longer exist, whats up w ss/when will a qc team be established again/when will it be possible to write for those
this is something in the works atm, expect something reasonably soon. (Can’t give an exact date right now but we are working on establishing stuff)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)