Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hello,
I'd like to create a private server to organise/host some tournaments. Thing is, I am not familiar with how servers work from a technical standpoint, and I would like to learn a bit more about it before engaging myself in something I do not understand nor master. Is there any ressource available on the website that would allow me to learn the ropes about that?
Thanks
https://discord.com/blog/starting-your-first-discord-server
googling any questions about server setup will probably lead to similar pages on the website

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hello,
I'd like to create a private server to organise/host some tournaments. Thing is, I am not familiar with how servers work from a technical standpoint, and I would like to learn a bit more about it before engaging myself in something I do not understand nor master. Is there any ressource available on the website that would allow me to learn the ropes about that?
Thanks
Start here:

https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown/blob/master/server/README.md

Once you accumulate more experience you can maybe look into the following, but for your needs the first link alone is much more than adequate:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...s-contacting-upper-staff.3538721/post-6227638

That's my take on your question, hopefully a PS admin will come weigh in but I hope I helped

=================
Below is a wall of text for keywords that help with the more general "how servers work" question

Finally, there are some general keywords related to programming/systems that you may want to look into using a reliable source (unfortunately the first page of google is filled with SEO trash, wikipedia is a better source, if you really want sources/resources I am willing 2 help but I don't have time to type much more at the current moment):

Javascript - This is the programming language showdown is written in

NodeJS - This is the program that runs the javascript to actually run showdown

VPS - you can run ur showdown server on your own computer and let other people connect to your personal machine, or you can buy a VPS. a VPS is a remote computer owned by some big software company (google, amazon, etc.) that you can manage as an admin, and the software company guarantees things like high uptime. look into good VPS services - go with a big brand with simple pricing (VPS pricing can be cheap but can also be immensely complicated and you can be hit with exorbitantly high bills out of nowhere sometimes)

Ports and port forwarding - you'll need to understand these if using either your own computer or a VPS (but VPS handle some of the oddities for you sometimes so it will be simpler to allow other users to connect if you use a vps)

Linux and the terminal - 99% of VPS will be on linux (windows is more expensive and worse for stuff like hosting servers), and almost 0% of vps will give you a nice graphical environment. you will need to use the terminal like it is 1970. two resources on the Linux terminal are this and this

ssh and filezilla - ssh is what you'll need on your computer to connect to your vps (if you go down the vps route) and filezilla is a good way to transfiler files and stuff onto your remote machine

My above spoiler has a lot of info which assume you will be using a vps to run your server. Realistically what I recommend is setting up a server on your personal computer first (your ISP might make it hard to port forward because of something called NAT so it might be really hard to get friends to connect to ur machine, focus on making yourself able to connect to your own server first). If you get a bit more serious about your server you can shell out 5 bucks a month to have it run on a VPS, where you don't need to worry about it ever being turned off or losing internet. Start with hosting it on your own computer and just getting yourself to be able to connect, because best to tackle one new challenge at a time right? After that you can grapple with VPSs

==============================

Learning by doing is pretty solid. Often you can make things work by just trying to set one up, and every time you see a word or error message you don't understand just research it. Just try to use reliable sources. Google's first page for most programming topics is only autogenerated articles used to generate ad revenue. Good luck and hope u have fun hosting it doing stuff like this can be very fulfilling

Last edited:

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
What is the exact and complete list of music tracks used for showdown battles
As far as I can tell, it's these tracks:

Code:
audio/dpp-trainer.mp3
audio/dpp-rival.mp3
audio/hgss-johto-trainer.mp3
audio/hgss-kanto-trainer.mp3
audio/bw-trainer.mp3
audio/bw-rival.mp3
audio/bw-subway-trainer.mp3
audio/bw2-kanto-gym-leader.mp3
audio/bw2-rival.mp3
audio/xy-trainer.mp3
audio/xy-rival.mp3
audio/oras-trainer.mp3
audio/oras-rival.mp3
audio/sm-trainer.mp3
audio/spl-elite4.mp3
audio/sm-rival.mp3
which can be found in this directory

edit: these can also be played but only during certain easter egg scenarios like having a specific pokemon out:
Code:
audio/bw2-homika-dogars.mp3
audio/xd-miror-b.mp3
audio/colosseum-miror-b.mp3
This file contains the source code that determines what's playing.

Last edited:
let's say I got reqs for a suspect, I screenshoted them and posted them, but I then play more ang go under 80 gxe, are my reqs still valid?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
The typical answer is no, but it’s up to those checking your reqs to determine if you met said threshold or not (e.g. you got OU reqs, they got approved, then you played a game and lost) - you can DM the relevant TLs and see what they have to say.

Regardless, most suspect tests say to avoid playing games for this exact reason, else you have to “re-qualify”.

EDIT: Basically what Kala said lol

Hypothetically if I were looking for either Spain players or Latin America players (any Spanish language player) to join a small facebook messenger group, what would be the best way or the best place to do it in Smogon/Showdown?

Hypothetically if I were looking for either Spain players or Latin America players (any Spanish language player) to join a small facebook messenger group, what would be the best way or the best place to do it in Smogon/Showdown?
Probably the Español chat room on Showdown if you haven’t tried there already.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Probably the Español chat room on Showdown if you haven’t tried there already.
Don't try this, asking for people's Facebook accounts on Showdown won't be tolerated.

Honestly there isn't a place to try and get people's social media accounts because of necessary safeguarding. Discord would be your safest bet as pretty much everyone doesn't use personal info on Discord, but you still wouldn't be able to recruit on Showdown for a Discord groupchat.

If I wanted to help with sample sets to go on the dex, where would I go?
The Contributions & Corrections section is where you'd go for writing analyses. There are subforums corresponding to each tier. In the relevant tier, you would go to the Reservation Index, which lists the sets that are missing analyses. There are some other rules that should be listed there, and you can create a reservation to write the analysis for that set.

Edit: If you want to add a new set that isn't currently listed (and not just write an analysis), you would need to have the respective C&C leadership for that tier approve it.

Is there a way that everytime I open an unread thread, it brings me to the last comment on the last page, instead of last unread comment? Other forum has this feature for example:
1679978856367.png

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Is there a way that everytime I open an unread thread, it brings me to the last comment on the last page, instead of last unread comment? Other forum has this feature for example:
It depends what part of the thread you highlight and click on, as shown in these screens below:
Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 06.59.23.png

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 06.59.44.png

Thread title brings you to the post that's your earliest unread one, clicking on the last post brings you the latest one overall.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 3)