Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

hello! are there any plans to implement automatic updating with the !showteam command/Open Team Sheets?

what i mean is: are there plans to have the calc automatically update the opponent's team (or both players' teams if you are a spectator) if they use the !showteam command, or if open team sheets are on (only relevenat in vgc i believe)?
Great suggestion! Actually thought of this idea during our testing sessions cause we'd frequently !showteam (to verify calcs) and had to manually copy and import each Pokémon, which got kinda annoying.

Good to hear it has a use case beyond testing though. I'll add this to the list of planned features. Thanks!

Patch 1.1.2 is out now!
What began as a small “quick” patch to fix Snow ended up becoming a pretty exciting update that I think you’ll enjoy. Showdex can now read from the Teambuilder, which means:
  • You can now add your own custom sets to Calcdex! Any unique sets from your teams/boxes will be imported into the Calcdex and viewable from the “Set” dropdown, which means you can easily view calcs for your Choice Band Toxapex Teambuilder set.
  • In the settings, you can choose to pull from your Teams, Boxes, Both or Never under “Include Teambuilder”. We know that some people have a ton of teams or a bunch of test Pokemon with incomplete/bad sets, so we wanted to give you control over what’s imported.
  • Only Pokemon with at least 1 move AND fully allocated EVs (gens 3+) will be imported. “Untitled” teams will be ignored, so you can delete an existing title if you don’t want that team included.
  • Duplicate sets (with the same ability [gens 3+], nature [gens 3+], item [gens 2+], moveset, DVs/IVs, and EVs [gens 3+]) won’t be imported, even if they have different nicknames.
  • The Pokemon’s nickname will be the set’s name (“The Don”), otherwise defaulting to Showdown’s role guesser e.g. “Bulky Attacker”, with the Team’s name below it.
  • If you want fine-grained control over what sets are imported, choose the “Boxes” option. You can then create Teambuilder boxes filled with sets that you want imported into Calcdex and give the Pokemon nicknames so you can easily tell what set it is from the dropdown, e.g. “Band T-tar”, “Scarf Tran” (if you’re importing from your teams, it’s prob not a good idea to nickname your Pokemon what set they are).
  • Pro-tip, the boxes limit you to only 24 mon, but you can still specify more using the PokePaste importer; however, the Pokemon icons will overflow, looking really jank, but the box will functionally work.
  • This is especially exciting for the lower tiers/OMs where there are a lot of missing sets! I know in RU there are a ton of missing sets, but now you can fix that problem. You can even export a box of common RU sets and share it with others so they can import them into Teambuilder and view them in the Calcdex. For experienced players, you can now view niche sets from your Teambuilder with ease to cover all options.
  • For prior installations, the “Include Teambuilder” setting is off by default (Never), so I’d recommend turning that “on” (Teams/Boxes/Both) if you want it! New installations will be Both by default.
Other Changes
  • Cleaned up the Settings page by consolidating separate settings into one (i.e. tooltips) and removing some of the trivial ones.
  • For Gen 9 Randbats, we’ve added support for role-specific abilities & items, so T-tar won’t have an Assault Vest equipped anymore when you switch to the Bulky Setup set (with Dragon Dance) from the Bulky Support set.
  • Removed Flower Gift, Power Spot & Battery toggles in Gen 9 Doubles formats, as Flower Gift & Battery aren’t even in the game, and only Stonjourner gets Power Spot, which has really low usage. (These will still be synced if provided by the battle; only the manual toggles have been removed within the UI.) If you miss the Power Spot toggle, let us know, but I felt like it was unnecessary to clutter things up for just that one Pokemon.
Some Bug Fixes
  • Snow now properly gives a DEF boost for Ice types.
  • Photosynthesis & Quark Drive work properly with Knock Off (before we had to silently set the item to Booster Energy, which messed up moves like Acrobatics & Knock Off).
  • We’ve included a temporary patch to boost non-multihit, non-priority Tera STAB moves under 60 BP.
  • Fixed some missing Smogon sets for VGC 2023 & BSS formats.
As always, you can read the full patch notes here to see all the changes and bug fixes, and of course, thanks again for all your support and feedback! To our generous donors, we’re extremely grateful and hope to make it worth your while with more cool updates like this one :)

A perhaps simple suggestion: be able to put status on pokemons. For example, I have a situation where my Ursaluna has Protect but hasn't activated the Flame Orb yet. I realize that my normal Facade won't be enough, but I want to see how much Ursaluna would Facade with burn on the calculator. Depending on the situation, it's better to change Ursaluna than to stay on the field. A similar situation applies to Hex. It would be cool to be able to change the status of pokemons (burn, paralyze, etc);

Another thing that i thought: if i have a pokémon with intimidate back in the bank, the calculator already calculates the damage that i will receive in the switching considering the -1 unless the pokémon in front of me is immune to the intimidate effect or it's either in a Substitute or maybe a double with a simple or something like that. And if you are defiant, for example, it already calculates with +1 status on attack.

Last edited:
The extension is bugged for me. Often (but not every time), it doesn't load either player's team (showing a greyed out panel that says "MissingNo"). It always loads the opponent's name and elo, but never displays my elo. Reloading the page sometimes loads the opponent's team but never my team. This issue doesn't happen when joining other player's battles (?).
1674152353592.png
This doesn't happen for every format, for example, calcdex works fine for randbats. The screenshot is from a gen8ou game.

Last edited:
Hey so not sure if this is the right place to report a bug but I think I've found one. I play mostly Gen4OU and the calc doesn't take metronome into account when listing possible damage. Even if you've used a move 10 times in a row getting higher damage each time, the calc shows the same damage roll as when you first switched in. I have not tested this with other gens.

The extension is bugged for me. Often (but not every time), it doesn't load either player's team (showing a greyed out panel that says "MissingNo"). It always loads the opponent's name and elo, but never displays my elo. Reloading the page sometimes loads the opponent's team but never my team. This issue doesn't happen when joining other player's battles (?).
This doesn't happen for every format, for example, calcdex works fine for randbats. The screenshot is from a gen8ou game.
This is one of those bugs where I can't seem to replicate it on my end, but we're going to try and fix it still if we can. To help us narrow down the possible issue, could you try changing the "Include Teambuilder" setting to "Never", like in this screenshot. If it wasn't already set to "Never", then could you try another battle and see if the issue is still there? (might need to do a few battles to make sure since it doesn't happen all the time)

1674165038568.png

A few quick questions:
  1. When did you download Showdex? That'll tell us what version you started with. Would especially be good to know if you started on an older version and it worked perfectly before, but now it doesn't work.
  2. Let me know if you're not playing on the main PS client, but instead another PS server like "smogtours.psim.us".
  3. What OS and browser are you using? e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Windows, Chrome OS, Samsung SmartFridge etc.
  4. Anything special about your setup that might be relevant? Like do you have really bad internet or you're on Windows Vista or something like that. Just fishing for clues if possible.
Also, thanks for reporting this to us, we really appreciate it! :totodiLUL:

Hey so not sure if this is the right place to report a bug but I think I've found one. I play mostly Gen4OU and the calc doesn't take metronome into account when listing possible damage. Even if you've used a move 10 times in a row getting higher damage each time, the calc shows the same damage roll as when you first switched in. I have not tested this with other gens.
This is the right place to report bugs or you can use Github if you're more comfortable with that.
We actually totally forgot about Metronome, great catch! I just realized that it works differently in Gen IV vs later gens, so we'll have to figure that out, but it shouldn't be too hard. We'll include the fix with the next patch :)

In the time being, you could set "Edit Moves" at the bottom of the settings page to "Always", and then during the battle click the "edit" button to change the BP of the move manually if you need it. Thank you for letting us know about this, it's super helpful!

A perhaps simple suggestion: be able to put status on pokemons. For example, I have a situation where my Ursaluna has Protect but hasn't activated the Flame Orb yet. I realize that my normal Facade won't be enough, but I want to see how much Ursaluna would Facade with burn on the calculator. Depending on the situation, it's better to change Ursaluna than to stay on the field. A similar situation applies to Hex. It would be cool to be able to change the status of pokemons (burn, paralyze, etc);

Another thing that i thought: if i have a pokémon with intimidate back in the bank, the calculator already calculates the damage that i will receive in the switching considering the -1 unless the pokémon in front of me is immune to the intimidate effect or it's either in a Substitute or maybe a double with a single or something like that. And if you are defiant, for example, it already calculates with +1 status on attack.
These are great ideas! Definitely will implement the ability to set status in the next patch or two, we've had someone suggested this before as well but we didn't have it super high priority. For Intimidate we'll look into doing that as well, from my initial impression, I don't think it'll be too difficult, but with Pokemon there are always a lot of edge cases to consider :) thanks for sharing your feedback!

I've actually been having this exact same issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension multiple times but still have the same issue. I last reinstalled probably a couple months ago. I've been playing on the main showdown client and have had the issue using it on chrome.

I've actually been having this exact same issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension multiple times but still have the same issue. I last reinstalled probably a couple months ago. I've been playing on the main showdown client and have had the issue using it on chrome.
oh interesting, ok that's good to know that it's not just an isolated incident, and it seems like it's been a problem for a while then right?

Not sure if this is a known bug but it seems the calc doesn't consider the item boost Knock Off gets?
The following calc was from Showdex 1.1.2
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Gholdengo: 224-265 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
the following was from the actual calc
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Gholdengo: 333-393 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

If you need the replay let me know and I'll DM you (it has some sensitive information I don't care to post publicly).

When did you download Showdex? That'll tell us what version you started with. Would especially be good to know if you started on an older version and it worked perfectly before, but now it doesn't work.
I redownloaded it in an attempt to fix it. Older versions worked perfectly fine, this issue started within the last week or two, I think.
Let me know if you're not playing on the main PS client, but instead another PS server like "smogtours.psim.us".
i'm seeing the issue on main
What OS and browser are you using? e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Windows, Chrome OS, Samsung SmartFridge etc.
windows, chrome

So, I tried to reproduce the issue to pin down what formats are causing it specifically. While I haven't done any exhaustive testing, it seems that only gen8ou causes the bug. (?)

I tried changing include teambuilder to Never and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Last edited:
I redownloaded it in an attempt to fix it. Older versions worked perfectly fine, this issue started within the last week or two, I think.

i'm seeing the issue on main

windows, chrome

So, I tried to reproduce the issue to pin down what formats are causing it specifically. While I haven't done any exhaustive testing, it seems that only gen8ou causes the bug. (?)

I tried changing include teambuilder to Never and it seems to have fixed the issue.
okay awesome, that's super helpful in narrowing it down. How many Gen8 teams do you have (your best guess)? Would be good to know for all formats added together, not just OU.
1674189816510.png

Here you can see it's 28 teams, but that's just for OU, so you'd have to click to the different formats and add them up.
The reason we're asking is because we think it might be the Teambuilder sets which are causing it to hang and never initialize properly.

What's weird though is that Upsidedownpants said he was encountering the issue months ago, so it might be something else, but worth a shot anyways!

Not sure if this is a known bug but it seems the calc doesn't consider the item boost Knock Off gets?
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Gholdengo: 224-265 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Gholdengo: 333-393 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

If you need the replay let me know and I'll DM you (it has some sensitive information I don't care to post publicly).
1674190640783.png

We tried to replicate it exactly as you described, take a look and let me know if everything's correct. If so, it seems to be working?
Maybe DM me the replay if something isn't lining up. If we remove the item, it does the damage you described (59.4 - 70.2%), but that lines up with the actual calc.

okay awesome, that's super helpful in narrowing it down. How many Gen8 teams do you have (your best guess)? Would be good to know for all formats added together, not just OU.
View attachment 485448
Here you can see it's 28 teams, but that's just for OU, so you'd have to click to the different formats and add them up.
The reason we're asking is because we think it might be the Teambuilder sets which are causing it to hang and never initialize properly.

What's weird though is that Upsidedownpants said he was encountering the issue months ago, so it might be something else, but worth a shot anyways!
That's probably the issue. I have teams in 40 different gen 8 formats, mostly in gen8ou (81) and gen8nationaldex (70). In total, I think I have between 230-270 teams gen8 teams.

* If the issue isn't number of teams but an issue with gen8, I haven't played gen8 with calcdex since about a week ago as well, so it's entirely possible that this issue has existed for a while.

One thing we did notice that may be potentially confusing is that once the turn happens where the item gets knocked off, the Knock Off damage will update with no item after syncing. So when you look back to verify the calcs, you'll see the updated damage, which could explain the discrepancies in damage.

We tried to replicate it exactly as you described, take a look and let me know if everything's correct. If so, it seems to be working?
Maybe DM me the replay if something isn't lining up. If we remove the item, it does the damage you described (59.4 - 70.2%), but that lines up with the actual calc.
One thing we did notice that may be potentially confusing is that once the turn happens where the item gets knocked off, the Knock Off damage will update with no item after syncing. So when you look back to verify the calcs, you'll see the updated damage, which could explain the discrepancies in damage.
All I can think is that it was a combination of me verifying the calcs afterward plus my inattentiveness or incorrect set before the turn. I'll note if it recurs. Thanks

Hi,
Showdex is great, it makes the battling experience so much easier.
I'm using the firefox showdex plugin on version 1.1.2 and it doesn't seem to account for the gen 9 change to protean and libero where you can only change your type once per switch-in. It's pretty easy to see the effect, just go into a controlled battle with a pokemon with protean or libero, get it to change its typing by using a move and then if you use one of your other moves it will deal two-thirds of the damage predicted by showdex, and additionally if you press the tera button, (for say tera grass with flower trick on a meowscarada that's proteaned to dark type) then the predicted damage is unchanged, even though the tera-stab should increase the damage.

Don't know if it's a bug with my download or if showdex is doing this for everyone, but I thought I'd mention it here either way.

That's probably the issue. I have teams in 40 different gen 8 formats, mostly in gen8ou (81) and gen8nationaldex (70). In total, I think I have between 230-270 teams gen8 teams.

* If the issue isn't number of teams but an issue with gen8, I haven't played gen8 with calcdex since about a week ago as well, so it's entirely possible that this issue has existed for a while.
I have 200+ gen 9 teams in total (don't ask me why, I don't know -- having a draft league that runs OU/Ubers doesn't help) and haven't hit this kind of bug, though I've not played much lately

I am experiencing a problem where random pokemon have no sets for them for some reason
to be clear you are only seeing sets due to me importing them
1674324727426.png

While other mon do
1674324784692.png

any idea what is causing this?
1674324811402.png

I am experiencing a problem where random pokemon have no sets for them for some reason
to be clear you are only seeing sets due to me importing them
View attachment 485793
While other mon do
View attachment 485794
any idea what is causing this?
View attachment 485795
It's probably because you might be playing on the dl sports server. For some reason right now, the new teambuilder feature only works on the regular showdown server. Which is annoying when you have a draft league and want to use it and see all the possible sets and such. It also prob doesn't work on any other server either.

It's probably because you might be playing on the dl sports server. For some reason right now, the new teambuilder feature only works on the regular showdown server. Which is annoying when you have a draft league and want to use it and see all the possible sets and such. It also prob doesn't work on any other server either.
oh thank you! hopefully they are able to get that fixed soon but I know they are busy working on other parts of the plugin aswell

oh thank you! hopefully they are able to get that fixed soon but I know they are busy working on other parts of the plugin aswell
Ohhh shoot, we were looking into this problem and trying to figure it out, but that explains it!

Unfortunately we don't play on those servers so we had no idea it wasn't working, thanks for letting us know!! Also we assumed they would function identically to the main server, but I guess not, so we'll definitely test for it next time. We'll try to put out a patch real soon for it, I'm thinking (hopefully) it's a simple fix. Please let us know if you run into any other bugs, we've been pretty busy with work so haven't had much time to play ourselves.

I have 200+ gen 9 teams in total (don't ask me why, I don't know -- having a draft league that runs OU/Ubers doesn't help) and haven't hit this kind of bug, though I've not played much lately
Hmmm interesting, that's good to know actually. We have a few theories, so we're gonna explore them today and see what might be the culprit. No shame about the number of teams, I was telling Keith that I was sure some people would have a crazy amount of teams, I bet that's not even that much compared to some players lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)