Metagame PU Old Gens + Discussion

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Hello again! Huge ADV Update time!
I've been talking about this in Discord for a while now but all the pieces have finally fallen into place. NU completed their VR update a while ago and I finally have all the responses from the ADV PU Revamp group. The group of voters was made up of myself, Akir, LordST, and the three finalists of the ADV PU TOURNAMENT: Eve, TSR, and Lily.

Because Old Gen lower tiers are not based on usage but rather the tier above's Viability Rankings, we had two options for keeping the tier up to date after NU did their update.
  • Option 1: Use NU's B- tier and below. This would keep all existing Pokemon currently in ADV PU while also adding 15 new Pokemon.
  • Option 2: Use NU's C tier and below. This would keep ADV PU largely the same but we would lose Minun and Wigglytuff.
There was quite a bit of discussion about these changes, though most of us were in favor of Option 1. If you'd like to read, I'll post the results of each of the questions and a little summary of one underneath each here:
Forms response chart. Question title: What rank should we take from NU's Viability Rankings?. Number of responses: 6 responses.

The main discussion behind this was that we would all love to see some sort of change with ADV PU, with the one vote of taking only C and below mainly being because they were concerned that the tier would lose its charm.

Forms response chart. Question title: Given the majority of initial discussion leaned towards it, do you think any of the B- and below mons should be quickbanned?. Number of responses: 6 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: If so, which one(s)?. Number of responses: 3 responses.

Mainly here, most people are open to trying everything in the tier for at least a little bit to see what is good and what isn't Kingler seems initially very strong but is held back by its low Speed. Likewise, Sunny Day Tangela on paper can outspeed and 2HKO most of the tier if given the opportunity. Shelgon is like a bulkier but slower Dragonair but with Brick Break for Steels so it has more freedom in its Hidden Power choice. Definitely some things we will have to keep an eye on.

Forms response chart. Question title: Would you be interested in unbanning Dunsparce?. Number of responses: 6 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Would you like to take any action regarding Furret at this time?. Number of responses: 6 responses.

The Dunsparce debate was interesting as while we were not in favor of reintroducing it, someone did bring up the idea of having a casual tournament where Dunsparce is allowed just to see if it would make an impact on the tier. As far as Furret goes, we all want to see what the tier is like with the new drops first before any action is taken. While we would get some more Rock-types in Magcargo and Graveler, Furret can run Surf as a lure for them fairly easily and Mawile can Intimidate but has to be very careful of switching into Brick Breaks too often or even a rare Focus Punch. We mostly agree that it will probably still be an S-rank threat.

So with all of that said, we now have 15 new additions to the ADV PU tier!
  • :abra: Abra
  • :arbok: Arbok
  • :graveler: Graveler
  • :kingler: Kingler
  • :lickitung: Lickitung
  • :magby: Magby
  • :magcargo: Magcargo
  • :mawile: Mawile
  • :piloswine: Piloswine
  • :seadra: Seadra
  • :seviper: Seviper
  • :shelgon: Shelgon
  • :swalot: Swalot
  • :tangela: Tangela
  • :togetic: Togetic
  • :tropius: Tropius
  • :volbeat: Volbeat
I will be updating the resources in the OP on the ADV PU website over the next few days and will try to get some sample teams going with the help of my crew. If you would like to help see how the new meta is, I'll always be down for some Showdown battles with the new drops and am open to hearing opinions from anyone. I'm excited to help this tier develop more and I can't wait to see what the future holds for it!

Last edited:
I'm just asking, why isn't Seviper listed as ADV PU despite being unranked in the ADV NU VR? Did it get banned from PU like with Dunsparce?

Bit of a simple question but I'm curious still. IMO, I think there should be a section on the website listing PUBL stuff to separate them from actually NU tier Pokemon in the banlist.

SergioRules

||blimp||
I'm just asking, why isn't Seviper listed as ADV PU despite being unranked in the ADV NU VR? Did it get banned from PU like with Dunsparce?

Bit of a simple question but I'm curious still. IMO, I think there should be a section on the website listing PUBL stuff to separate them from actually NU tier Pokemon in the banlist.
to be honest, I overlooked Seviper because it was unranked and I had really only been looking at the B-/C ranks when doing a lot of this. But this actually did bring my attention to another mon we missed being Magby. Tbh I didn't really think about Seviper because I assumed it was good in NU and figured it would be kinda busted here but after discussing with some of the revamp team, we're at least open to giving it a chance. Magby is an easy new entry, slightly faster than the main other Fire being Charmeleon and added coverage in Cross Chop and Psychic, but less powerful Fire STAB and way less bulk. Previous post and site will be updated soon.

edit: Machoke also is listed on the banlist, but is not actually ADV PU. It was banned before Dunsparce so current ADV PUBL is just those two

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
was super excited about the drops and just had to spend some time crafting up some potential sets for them ! a lot of these looks super fun and im very much so looking forward to building with and around them and seeing how they mesh in the tier. this is by no means meant to be an exhaustive list of moves, spreads, or sets, and was just a fun project i wanted to take on for myself. let me know if you have any questions about what ive included, or if ive missed something major, etc! ive really be on an adv pu high lately (anyone whos been in the room recently has probably seen me asking for games) so this will definitely shake up an already great meta. cant wait for everything to settle down and for the vrs to be updated so adv zu can follow suit with shifts of our own! :quagchamppogsire: might edit in some initial thoughts later, but for rn im pooped

edit: now with prospective seviper sets!

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Gen5 PU Tiering Update

Damp Rock is now banned! Simipour remains banned!

BW PU has reached what is hopefully the last tiering decision in a very long time. By a narrow 60% vote, Damp Rock has been banned, and Simipour's quickban has been upheld with a 70% vote! Thanks to SergioRules Bag of Trixx Lily yandaud TJ EviGaro Feaniix LordST and LpZ for voting! You can see the voting here!

Even though both bans went through, this was not a clear cut vote. Strong opinions surrounded both, and will persist after this ban as well I am certain. Here are some opinions given for your reading pleasure:

• Simipour has too few reliable checks in the tier and no true counters as even bulky Water Absorb Pokemon like Mantine and Frillish can be beaten with Nasty Plot+HP Electric. Its speed and power combined are too much for BW PU as it stands
  • BW PU simply has subpar countermeasures for Simipour. All of the defensive checks in the tier lose to the proper set after a Nasty Plot, and through the rise of SubSalac, choice scarfers cannot properly revenge-kill since Simipour is faster than a majority of the tier. Not to mention that all of the common defensive checks (Tentacool, Frillish, Yache SpDef Vileplume, Mantine unless HP Elec, Scraggy, Yache Maractus), all of these checks are pressured to handle several other prominent threats in the tier such as the ever-so-busted rain archetype, the versatile Monferno, and many others. Simipour is at the forefront of the banlist imo due to its monstrous damage output, astronomically high success rate, the ability to beat down all of its checks with the proper set, and little-to-no drawbacks.
  • Simipour made you stack simi checks in order to keep it at bay, but I'd say the biggest factor for my vote is the NP set, NP and Choice sets have different checks, for example, Tentacool that would be a solid choiced Simi check would be used as setup fodder for SubNP if it doesn't run Sludge Bomb, and that process of guessing its set on an already difficult mon to handle is too much for the tier imo.

• Simipour is just not broken. This tier has plenty of Water resists that can stave it off for long enough (Maractus, Shiftry, Simipour itself, Golduck, Jumpluff, Simisage, Swanna, Scraggy effectively... you get the point) and it's often shoehorned into Scarf sets to give it that super strong offense matchup that you want out of it. The Sub NP set is strong but a) hard to fit because it mandates other forms of Speed control, and b) very easy to stop once you know it's coming through priority moves or just... hitting it while it sets up, it's frail as shit after all. Simipour being gone has led the tier to a worse state in my opinion, with various forms of hyper offense (screens, sun, esp. rain) being far too powerful without it there to stop them.

• Rain is absolutely stupid in this tier. 7 turns to abuse an already busted archetype in a tier with subpar answers to the abusers is way too much for the tier to handle. Not to mention that all of the abusers share the exact same checks, therefore it makes it extremely easy to wear down Frillish/Tentacool/Mantine/Vileplume. The countermeasures for rain are few and far between and as such, the entire archetype has completely warped the tier to an unhealthy state. Damp Rock is without a doubt the biggest question-in-play in terms of current Simipour-less meta.
  • Rain is just too obnoxious on builder, you have to stack counterplay in an even worse degree than against Simipour and even then you can still struggle since the rain abusers weaken each other checks. The tier is just not that prepared for strong Water attacks, the only great Water check being Frillish imo. Talking about my PUWC experience, I ALWAYS had to include 2 rain checks cuz of how scared I was against rain, so if you watch my games you can notice the amount of Tentacool + priority + Scarf Golduck I loaded, and my only loss was against rain while using a team that on paper would do well against it. Damp Rock ban is a good way to nerf it cuz I can still see like a mono Rain Dance Mantine or Golduck still working eventually.

• In my opinion theres naturally enough counterplay to rain in the tier. Bulky builds have no problems against this because they naturally use audino/tentacool/torterra/frilish/vileplume etc all very good mon in this meta. offensive builds esp spikes HO really dont struggle against it either, because theres so much priority in the tier. Sucker punch on everything, Zebstrika, golduck/swanna/mantine that are all good and can be run to take advantage/counter rain and not be deadweight at all in other matchups, Purugly. Also rain saw little usage during the bw pu classic, and I think the reason is because it doesnt fare that well against the current best builds.
  • tier is fine with rain setters are still incredibly mid and mons have too little diversity as breakers, sun had better setting and far more diversified abusers and yet the tier adjusted

I think the tier is very fortunate to have so many people willing to debate over its future. I realize that sounds like a really bland tryhard statement, but I genuinely believe that. BW PU has had a long history of strong indifference, so for there to be a community invested enough in its future to argue is proof alone that the tier has come a long way. But for now, I think this is a potential end of the road for BW PU bans. At the very least, this should be the last in a very long time. There are a few things some of you might be thinking about though, so here are my thoughts on a couple of them:
  • Sun is very strong but I do not think it is on par with rain. In all of my tests and all of the battles that I have seen, sun is strong but not a hard MU fish like rain was. HO can fit plenty of counterplay to sun without going significantly out of its way, like Purugly or even Jumpluff, and the stall matchup for sun is a lot bleaker than it is for rain. I expect sun to pop up plenty in the early weeks of PUPL, but then die down as people realize that they aren't getting rain-esque results.
  • Beheeyem at this point lives on the fence of being broken vs not broken. My roadmap philosophy going into this long string of bans in BW PU has been the idea that the primary problem with the tier was that there were too many massive threats and not enough room on teams to counter them all. This is somewhat proven with Beheeyem currently: Beheeyem is the most manageable that is ever has been now that people can better afford to handle it. The tier is also much stronger with more wallbreakers, and new tech in the tier has lead it to be "fairly reasonable". That being said though, as is proven whenever a BW PU ladder shows up, Beheeyem can still shred the tier if given the chance. We have all of that tech for it for a reason after all.

So with all of that said, I have added new samples and did a very minor VR update for PUPL with a bigger one planned for after. You can check out the VR and sample team changes here for more details. And as always, huge thank you to Kris and other people on the programming team for being such a huge reason for making these tiers what they are.

Last edited:
So here's me theorymonning about Seviper after I mentioned it! I'm not too too familiar with ADV PU but I'll try my best regardless.

Seviper's movepool for a Pokemon in this tier is great. Gets a lot of coverage options: Crunch, EQ, Flamethrower, even Giga Drain so you can use it + a seperate Hidden Power like HP Ice or something. Shed Skin is a decent ability, but ofc the problems with it are two-fold: its frail and its slow. It speed ties with Houndour. The slowness doesn't matter as much versus bulkier teams, but it struggles through offensive builds. Fully physical sets are completely outclassed by Arbok who gets the same moves but has Intimidate and better speed which make up for the weaker damage output. IMO I think Seviper will do best taking advantage of its wide movepool with mixed sets:

Seviper @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hidden Power: Ice
Naive Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake / Giga Drain

EQ is for the Fire-types + Lairon/Tentacool. HP Ice I feel is generally more viable than HP Grass because this tier has actually viable targets for the move like Dragonair, Shelgon, and Vibrava. As such, even though its considered a horrible move in this gen judging by its lack of usage, Giga Drain can be used to reliably hit bulky Grounds and Water-types without using your HP slot. Even without much investment, I'm pretty sure Sludge Bomb still does a bit to neutral targets. You can go fully special by using Crunch over Sludge Bomb but realistically all you hit here with Crunch is Duskull and Gastly. Hidden Power slot is quite customizable. HP Fighting to hit Sealeo and Lairon in one slot in addition to the Normals, for instance.

Seviper definitely won't be top tier but it does have a neat niche. It has both power and coverage on both sides of the field compared to other Poisons who are either fully physical or more defensively inclined and thus is quite weak offensively.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Hi! I'll be giving my thoughts on, and sets for, each of the ADV PU drops in order. I think some of these are probably a bit busted, but I wasn't confident enough on that to vote for bans before even testing them and they all at the very least have a form of counterplay. I've loosely ranked them into DECENT, GOOD, GREAT, and INSANE, because I don't think any of these are bad and they'll all probably have a substantial impact on the metagame.

:rs/abra:
Abra @ Salac Berry / Petaya Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Fire Punch
- Substitute
This thing is very, very polarizing. On one hand, it's very strong and fast and has a potent neutral STAB move. On the other hand, anything that it doesn't KO (or priority moves) will almost certainly murder it right back- Banded Furret's Quick Attack can do over 150% on a max roll, for reference. Substitute seems neat to slightly alleviate this issue and shouldn't be too hard to set up with Abra's great Speed and likely tendency to force sacrificial switches in certain matchups. Substitute also conveniently allows Abra to activate boosting berries, either letting it blitz past Minun or unsuspecting weather sweepers with low Speed investment via Salac Berry or becoming a terrifying breaker versus bulkier teams with Petaya Berry. Don't drop Fire Punch or you'll get punished hard by one of our other new drops in Mawile, Psychic and Hidden Power Water (for Houndour btw) cover pretty much everything else quite well regardless.

:rs/arbok:
Arbok @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Giga Drain
I think this might quietly be one of the most meta changing Pokemon we got. The above set has coverage for pretty much everything and it's really fast by ADV OU breaker standards, outrunning Beedrill and the newly arrived Kingler. Oh, and it has Intimidate too which gives it immense value in pretty much any matchup for ending various sweeps or creating switchin opportunities versus weaker opponents. Don't overlook Arbok!

:rs/graveler:
Graveler @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge / Explosion
- Hidden Power [Bug] / Explosion
Decent I guess? It's kinda just another slower Lairon or Marshtomp with a different typing and a bit more raw Attack. STAB Earthquake over Lairon is cool and not being 4x weak to Fighting is too but being 4x weak to Grass and Water sucks in its own way. Maybe it'll fit some teams because it checks Furret better than the aforementioned two but I think it's sort of threatened by literally everything in the tier, because those offensive typings are immensely common. If I want the perfect Furret answer on defensive teams I'm still taking Shuckle.

:rs/kingler:
Kingler @ Choice Band
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Surf
- Blizzard
Kingler @ Salac Berry
Adamant Nature
- Flail
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Swords Dance
- Endure / Substitute
Bow before your new god- this thing is messed up. Its Normal moves hit nearly as hard as Furret's while having STAB Water moves to dunk on every Rock-type in existence and good physical bulk alongside a solid neutral defensive typing and an immunity to Intimidate because yeah why not. Also, it can punish your scared switching around its Banded set with the Flail set, which is like Salac Beedrill on various performance enhancing drugs (outside of a poor matchup against healthy Steel-types). Luckily it has poor special stats and a Speed stat that can only be called Good, but I think this thing is probably going to be overwhelming. Prepare your Rest Mawiles and DEFINITELY pack Quick Attack more than ever.

:rs/lickitung:
Lickitung @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
Lickitung @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Lickitung @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Swords Dance
It's better Wigglytuff. It's slightly bulkier and it has Heal Bell, Knock Off, Curse, Swords Dance... the list goes on, really. While Curse sets seem good they have to pick their poison, sometimes literally as sets lacking Rest will get ruined by Toxic, Rest sets lacking Sleep Talk are vulnerable to being overwhelmed for free during Sleep turns, and RestTalk sets have to make do with a single attacking move- either Return, which mandates Pursuit support and gets owned by Lairon, or probably some Hidden Power that won't hit very hard at all. Swords Dance Lickitung seems like a respectable breaker but its Speed tier leaves it outran by pretty much everything and it has to sacrifice either longevity or coverage. Defensive sets look cool, but it's hard to really fit most of the flashy moves it has over Wigglytuff because you only have one slot even slightly spare- without Seismic Toss you're total fodder for anything with damage output, and without WishTect you're useless. Heal Bell, Knock Off, and Toxic all then fight for the last slot. All in all though, this Pokemon is going to be fantastic.

:rs/magby:
Magby @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Timid / Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Substitute
- Psychic / Focus Punch
Charmeleon? Who's that? This guy has supereffective coverage for the Waters, which is massive, and also outruns Arbok. In return it's insanely frail and not quite as powerful when just clicking Fire STAB. Focus Punch does some decent damage to Lickitung and frail offensive stuff enjoys Substitute anyway so it seems like a solid option, but Hidden Power Ice and Psychic are useful for really muscling past the Dragons and Tentacool. This thing is gonna be a nuisance if it can get on the field safely.

:rs/magcargo:
Magcargo @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Protect
Decent Pokemon with some cool unique qualities and a massive flaw in its Ground weakness. Flame Body on a Pokemon with a Normal resistance and absolutely massive physical bulk is very awesome and might just completely ruin cocky Furrets on the spot, and it's decently strong for a defensive Pokemon with a great STAB that can be easily backed up by Hidden Power Grass. It also completely terrifies any Poison immunes so ToxTect is the biggest freebie on it, also allowing it to scout for surprise Surfs and stuff. Keep in mind, though, that it is slow as hell and gets owned by Hidden Power Grounds or Surfs, so it might be pretty awkward to use given that most of the tier's physical attackers can slot one of those moves quite happily. The awful Speed also locks it out of any offensive roles as it'll get outsped even by the fairly common offensive Omanyte.

:rs/mawile:
Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Toxic
- Protect
Mawile @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Brick Break
- Taunt / Substitute
Now this is a good Pokemon. Fantastic physical bulk, decent firepower even without investment, and a typing as rare as it is good. I can't see this not being top tier and I don't think I need to explain why in much detail, and that's before considering that its Swords Dance sets are pretty terrifying too. Other moves like Baton Pass, Fire coverage for Tangela/Mawile, Thunder Punch for Kingler, RestTalk etc. could have potential but I think this thing puts in work in every battle no matter which moves you give it. Perfect addition to the tier.

:rs/piloswine:
Piloswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Bashful Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Protect
This thing really is just weird Marshtomp. The typing comes with pros and cons; it's a better Minun answer and STAB Ground and Ice together cover the vast majority of everything, but it's also weak to Water, neutral to Rock and weak against Fighting and Steel. It also can't pivot in on Magcargo or bait HP Grass from other Fires like Marshtomp can but that's less of note. Outside of typing, it's stronger and bulkier than Marshtomp, so make of it what you will. I think both will be good Pokemon still, with Piloswine probably being the more offensively scary one of the two if you can afford its vulnerabilities.

:rs/seadra:
Seadra @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Agility / Substitute
We haven't had a real offensive Water-type outside of Rain for quite a while, with the closest thing that I'd say counts (Poliwhirl does not) being Offensive Sealeo. Seadra brings great stats to the role, namely a massive 95 Special Attack and 85 Speed, alongside respectable physical bulk and even the potential to boost past Furret, Minun, and potential weather sweepers with Agility. You could maybe even try Sub DD Flail Surf, that sounds funny and might break some matchups against unsuspecting opponents. This thing might struggle to get through Sealeos and Tentacools and the like, and its special bulk is really quite poor so Minun and Elekid feast on it, but yeah, it's strong and fast and that's a good combo.

:rs/seviper:
Seviper @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Mild Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake / Crunch
A bit hard to justify when you can use Arbok instead which packs great speed and Intimidate, but this one is stronger and kills Mawile and Marshtomp better so there's that. The above EV spread is definitely not optimized, but max Sp.Atk lets you almost always OHKO Marshtomp with Hidden Power Grass so keep that in mind! Crunch shouldn't be overlooked, it lets you break through Duskull quite well while Shed Skin shrugs off burns. Definitely a solid new mid-speed breaker overall, I might be underrating it a bit.

:rs/shelgon:
Shelgon @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
Shelgon @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Slam / Double Edge / ???
- Toxic / ???
- Wish
- Protect
Shelgon seems awesome. While its Dragon Dance set is more vulnerable to status than Dragonair's is, Shelgon avoids a different kind of residual damage- recoil, thanks to Rock Head. It trades Dragonair's decent special bulk for great physical bulk, and vitally learns Brick Break which grants it amazing coverage in Double-Edge, Brick Break, and HP Ghost. Its lower Speed means it has to use a Jolly nature to outspeed Minun at +1, however, which makes it slightly weaker than Dragonair despite the better Attack stat. It also has an epic defensive set that can check lots of things, including the ever-threatening Combusken! It takes Furret Return quite well too, and can check even HP Ice Minun pretty well until layers of Spikes get involved. Passing Wishes gives it strong utility too. I'm not really sure what moves it should run beyond WishTect yet, it has a whole lot of options. Also the spread is a bit ??? too, I gave it a Leftovers number for HP and then a bunch of Sp.Def for Minun HP Ice and the rest in defense. You can redistribute as you see fit.

:rs/swalot:
Swalot @ Choice Band
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion
Swalot @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze / Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Pain Split / Protect
Offensively it's a worse Arbok, but it can blow itself up and make Ivysaur take a little bit of chip damage too. Maybe pair with Arbok to break stuff down? I don't know. Defensively, Sp.Def sets are probably quite good- this thing is insanely bulky and Toxic immune, but Pain Split is pretty bad reliable recovery when you have 100 HP in this tier and you don't want to give up on coverage that stops you from being a sitting duck for scary things, so that or Protect are your only real longevity options. More than serviceable though, I expect this mon to do well and it really makes Ivysaur and a certain ball of vines regret existing.

:rs/tangela:
Tangela @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 60 Def / 116 SpD / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Morning Sun
Tangela @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sleep Powder / Morning Sun
Speaking of that ball of vines, here they are! This thing is insane and I don't think I'd feel safe against it without a Poison-type Pokemon on every single team. Its defensive sets are hard to remove and annoying and strong and check a huge number of things even if there are Choice Bands involved, it's silly. Meanwhile, its Sunny Day set bravely asks the question "do you have a Poison-type Pokemon or Togetic that hasn't been overwhelmed or removed by my teammates?" and if the answer is no, you lose to it. Every full Sun team should have at least one Hidden Power Ice user in order to keep Dragonair/Shelgon in check, but if that isn't needed on Tangela then Hidden Power Fire is really really strong in the sun. Be afraid!

:rs/togetic:
Togetic @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
Togetic @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break / Focus Punch
- Shadow Ball
- Double-Edge
I'm glad we have our BP clause in place because Ancient Power Pass would break this tier. As is though, this Pokemon looks fantastic. It actually just straight up has a high PP reliable recovery move which is insanely rare down here, and its bulk and fairly neutral typing is really great too. It's a bulky Earthquake and Spikes immune mon that actually has presence!!!! This thing isn't even that passive despite a lack of special STAB because its Special Attack and coverage are good, and you could probably get away with physical Hustle stuff because its power after the boost isn't even bad by ADV PU standards while still being a pain to take down. Obviously be wary of Rocks, Minuns, and Sealeos, and you won't be walling Furret, but you can definitely tank out Combusken, Tangela, and the like. This is going to be a massively important addition.

:rs/tropius:
Tropius @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Hidden Power [Flying] / Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain / Hidden Power [Grass] / Substitute / Synthesis
- Swords Dance
Tropius @ Leftovers
Hidden Power: Fire
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
Not a very good defensive typing for the tier outside of its Earthquake and Spikes immunity, but its bulk and offensive presence should make up for that. Swords Dance seems like the best option, with Flying STAB + Earthquake obviously being a fantastic combo. I like the idea of Giga Drain or HP Grass on Swords Dance to dispatch of Graveler and Marshtomp and the likes, but Substitute to abuse passive Pokemon or activate Salac Berry is good too, as is Synthesis to stick around over the course of a battle. Tropius is substantially weaker than other SunnyBeam options but its longevity is pretty substantial, letting it stick around and repeatedly set up Sunny Day over and over for itself and teammates. I think this Pokemon is... good, not much more than that. Really enjoying having more varied Earthquake responses than trash mon Vibrava, mid mon Masquerain, and Houndour food Duskull.

:rs/volbeat:
Volbeat (M) @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass / Moonlight / Substitute
Volbeat (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
Volbeat (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Signal Beam
- Focus Punch / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball
- Quick Attack / Trick
Last but not least, this guy! While it can't do the funky Encore stuff that I think makes its sister really neat, it makes up for that and more. Tail Glow is a crazy move, even if it's basically just Nasty Plot this gen- if Cubone with Thick Club can be a minor threat, then Volbeat sure can be after a Tail Glow too, especially as it can pass that boost to a teammate (probably Minun or Agility Seadra, but maybe even a Tangela). Make sure not to run Salac Berry + Baton Pass on the Tail Glow set because you aren't allowed to pass Speed and another set. Also, be wary of switching something in to try and pressure the Tail Glow pass before scouting, because you may be met with a surprisingly deadly Choice Banded assault instead! Volbeat has great coverage, good Speed, a decent enough Attack stat, and even valuable moves like Quick Attack and Trick to make it a surprising and deadly Choice Band user. Volbeat looks to be a versatile and good Pokemon that might just end games on occasion, don't forget about it!

Very excited to see all of these Pokemon in action! Hit me up in the PU or ADV Discord if you want to discuss this post or the tier as a whole, or to play some matches :D

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've been wanting to make a VR post for BW PU for a while now, and now here is some of it. As for my general opinion of the tier, I think it is in a generally strong position. There are no immediate bans that I would want to do (except maybe BP but that's a whole different thing) and I think the overall power level of the format is where I'm happy with. So with that, let's chat:

Rises:

:bw/swanna:
Swanna A- to A+

People trying to find a replacement for Simipour seem to have mostly landed on Swanna. Swanna does have the slightly lower SpAtk and isn't the fastest scarfer in town but the secondary typing does a lot for Swanna. No Spikes damage, resistance to Mach Punch, and a secondary STAB to hit Grass that would otherwise wall are all great things that puts Swanna as probably the best scarfer in the format and a worthy heir to Simipour. However, Swanna's lack of setup makes it manageable so that counters like Audino and Klang are reliable. Even so, Swanna's success in recent tournament usage has carved out a premiere slot in BW PU and rightfully should take a spot among the elite.

:bw/tentacool:
Tentacool A to A+

This is a frankly overdue at this point. Tentacool started seeing usage during Simipour meta, became a concrete part of the meta with Rain, and now has survived tests of time to come out as the best hazard control in the tier over Natu. The Water typing has turned out to be an important part of the tier's defensive backbone with the rise of so many Water and now Fire attackers, with the ability to Rapid Spin in a tier starved of the option as an incredible bonus. The Toxic Spikes would also be a nice plus but the irony of the situation is that Tentacool's success is keeping its own Toxic Spikes at bay. Tentacool is just a solid mon thats better than some mons already in A+.

:bw/stunfisk:
Stunfisk A- to A+

In my honest opinion, Stunfisk is the best rocker in the format. Period. Stunfisk's ability to check key threats like Monferno and Zebstrika and even Dodrio in a single slot alone would make Stunfisk valuable, but a resistance to Rocks and plenty of support options like Discharge/Yawn/Pain Split makes Stunfisk the best pure support mon in the format. Even Static makes Monferno's U-Turn go from a safe bet to a risky ask. Now if only Stunfisk got recovery outside of Pain Split or BW Rest...but then it would be NU wouldn't it...

:bw/arbok:
Arbok A- to A

The rise of bulkier builds in the format has been a long time coming, and Arbok rises to the challenge of countering them surprisingly well. Coil + Gunk Shot hits like a truck and Arbok has enough coverage in EQ and Aqua Tail to hit almost everything it wants to. Add in Shed Skin and Arbok can prove to be difficult for bulky teams to handle well. However, Arbok is not a one-trick snake. Access to Intimidate and Sucker Punch makes Arbok handy against offensive teams as well. Now that the tier has slowed down, Arbok's tool set is now finally in demand.

:bw/jumpluff:
Jumpluff A- to A

Similar story as Arbok. A falling power level and a rise in bulkier teams means that Jumpluff's fast Encore is handier and handier. A fast U-Turn is also never bad, and a resistance to Mach Punch means that Jumpluff can even work as a Monferno check. Acro/U-turn/Synth/Encore is a dream set for voltturn teams, but the general lack of power outside of a SD or two really keeps Jumpluff down.

:bw/audino: :bw/bronzor:
Audino and Bronzor B+ to A-

Grouping these two together because they are rising from the same rank to the same rank for the same reasons. Simply put, the general drop in power means that these two walls have gone from decently reliable to very reliable. Bronzor has a ton of excellent resists and Rocks, so it is a good fit for most teams despite its extreme flaws and being a shitty mon. Audino is similar: although it prefers bulkier teams, Audino is a solid part of any defensive core it finds itself in as it proves to be infuriating to kill. 2 good defensive mons in a format with stronger defensive teams. Simple.

:bw/marowak:
Marowak B to A-

Going back to the continuing trend of "bulkier teams are becoming more of a thing", Marowak is a nuke in a mon. It's...Marowak. You know what a Marowak does.

:bw/ursaring:
Ursaring B to B+

Ursaring enjoyed some early success in PUPL that trickled out as the season went on. The SpDef set was interesting and while it didn't enjoy popularity all the way through the season, it is still a new Ursaring set that is worth a small bump in viability.

:bw/Mr. Mime:
Mr. Mime B- to B+

This tier has many many Psychics, and people have started experimenting with them. Mime is a continuation of this. While Scarf sets ended up a bit on the mediocre side, NP and Specs sets proved to be valuable because Mime has Focus Blast and that is a rarity and extremely effective due to Scraggy and Klang being common answers. Still below other Psychics but the niche is there.

Drops:

:bw/beheeyem:
Beheeyem S to A+

Even though Beheeyem is one of the most impactful mons in the format, the tournament success simply is no longer there. I don't expect this to be permanent but I think the reason for the drop in viability is that people finally have the room to properly counter this thing.

:bw/klang:
Klang A+ to A

As the metagame is able to afford more cohesive builds, Klang sticks out as a notably passive pivot. I will not say Klang is bad; Klang is simply not as useful as it was. The spike in usage of Zebstrika is also an issue, but then again the rise of Swanna is a boon for Klang. Overall, people are looking for other pivots that don't rely on Toxic for damage.

:bw/Simisage:
Simisage A- to B

Again, the usage just isn't there. At all. Simisage has a definitive niche as an excellent answer to flimsy defensive cores, but a lot of the current defensive backbones (particularly ones with Bronzor) just don't mind Simisage. A rather damning review of a wallbreaker.

:bw/victreebel:
Victreebel B+ to B

Sun went 0-2 in PUPL. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong about Sun: it is notably worse than I projected. Victreebel still stands as the primary engine for Sun and bears the burden of Sun's failings. Victreebel can't really find much of a niche outside of Sun anyway. Granted, there is definitely room for some experimentation but until that happens I vote a drop.

To wrap up this post, here is a sketchy team dump for you all:

https://pokepast.es/24c6a4f9770c1bbb
https://pokepast.es/00fc6cf8574d039c
https://pokepast.es/5c02c3ff50f305e3
https://pokepast.es/caf17a77481a8076
https://pokepast.es/582151a6667729b9

BW PU is good now btw

LpZ

capy
is a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
THE ZU-PU CROSSOVER EXPERIENCE
Following up Akir's post on BW PU I'd like to share a project I've been doing for the past month. This project consists on simply building with mons on the BW ZU VR and take a better look on what it could offer in the tier above just so we can test them in practice. Before anything I want to make it clear that a mon ranked high on the ZU VR does not mean it is gonna do better than a lower ranked mon on ZU. I've been doing this to gather more information about what we could call "unexplored" mons since the tier does not get played too often. I'd like to give a s/o to everyone that could test those mons with me even if only once: Jade Nalorium Fakee Mendeez avarice Tack Raichy CDW Enrique Chloe zeeLitium (prob everyone listed, if I forgot anyone feel free to call me out). These are also my opinions and experiences with test games so if you have anything to add or ask feel free to do it.

:BW/Solrock:

Solrock @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Solrock @ Flying Gem
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Solrock has really interesting and unique assets, it can function as a rocker that not only threatens Natu and Tentacool with 2HKOs but also has Levitate, recovery and Wisp, which means few stuff enjoys switching in on it as it can cripple a good portion of the tier most importantly including Torterra, which makes it a good partner to mons that enjoy the turtle burned, I didn't test it a whole lot but the few times it was okay, it could get the job done setting rocks up and then burn something before dying. Unfortunately the typing does not help at all even tho it has Levitate, it packs a lot of weaknesses and it can be difficult to keep it around for too long because of that.
Talking about other its other sets, I've tested with Rock Polish and unfortunately it is simply not good, it is just not strong and relies a lot on chip on the opponent's whole team cuz it fails to OHKO or 2HKO too many things, for example it can't 2HKO Stunfisk with Earthquake, it can't 2HKO standard Beheeyem with anything and it doesn't even OHKO PhysDef Torterra with gem-boosted Acrobatics even with Rocks and 3 layers of Spikes up. On top of that it is much easier to take it down as it is very noticeable how frailer it becomes when uninvested in bulk and because of how often it misses out on KOs picking it off is not hard for most teams in most situations, and even at +2 speed it gets outsped by Scarf Swanna which has been popping off lately.
On the extremely rare Trick Room type of build it might be the go-to rocker as it offers all of Rocks, Trick Room and Explosion.
This mon is def worth of more exploration as his defensive set looks to have a number of interesting tools and it is a very unique rocker also capable of crippling stuff.

:BW/Persian:

Persian @ Heat Rock
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Return

Persian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Bite
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Persian is already listed on the PU VR as a D rank mon but I still wanted to explore it more (as I did with other ranked mons too). In my opinion its offensive set with Fake Out STAB U-turn is simply outclassed by Purugly as Purugly not only has more Attack than it but also another anti-offense tool in Sucker Punch and more defensive utility with Thick Fat, Persian would have to run either Life Orb or Double-Edge to surpass its damage output which means having to wear itself down quickly, also the only thing Persian's speed is put into perspective compared to Purugly is that it is faster than Swoobat which does not matter at all as Purugly can simply Sucker Punch the bat which gets OHKOd after rocks . With this said I've tested ways Persian could perform differently and these 2 sets could make up for it.
First one being an already known set and nothing too crazy, a wether setter set as it is one of the fastest mons in the tier while packing Taunt and U-turn, pretty automatic to think of Persian like that so this is no surprise and this is prob the set that puts it on D rank afterall. But the other set no one had used before was Scarf and honestly it surprised me for the good. The cherry on the cake for this set is Switcheroo as it serves as a safety net vs basically ANY setup sweeper from Huntail to RP Torterra to Scraggy, and it can annoy its switch-ins like Stunfisk, Bronzor, Klang and Mawile. It personally felt like an amazing partner to Swoobat as Klang or Bronzor are much easier to break through when tricked and Swoobat, if it is willing to break a team it gotta do quick as rocks just means it will be much harder if it doesn't start threatening immediately. It also outspeeds every viable Scarfer even with Adamant so you can taste that little extra power.
Although the weather set is no surprise to anyone slightly experienced in the tier, the scarf set got very satisfying results for both its sheer utility and unpredictability, I highly recommend exploring this set more in the future.

:BW/Emolga:

Emolga @ Flying Gem
Ability: Motor Drive
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Roost
- Encore

Emolga @ Leftovers
Ability: Motor Drive
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Thunderbolt

I won't talk too much about this one as I already consider it an established albeit gimmicky mon. I tried hard to figure out another way to make this thing work and honestly the standard (first) set is the only way it will do anything. Its whole viability is reliant on Encore to be quite fair and that is why the latter team just stinks as hell. SubTox is a thing in ZU so I wanted to see how it fares in PU and the result is that EVERYTHING SITS ON IT. The former set is the niche that makes it an interesting option and the latter straight up sucks, as simple as that.

:BW/Clefairy:

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled

Clefairy was brought up by Lily in the first edition of BWPL as she thought Clefairy had a legitimate niche in the tier, so after a whole year I wanted to try it out. This is known as a absurdly annoying mon to kill in ZU so I had high expectations for it even tho the single best mon in the tier scares it out.
Rocks Clefairy is honestly pretty decent as it has a lot of opportunities to set them up and its bulk alongside Soft-Boiled made it a really annoying mon to take down even in PU, Natu can unfortunately negate works from it tho but theoretically (I haven`t come to this situation in tests) you can stall Roosts out by spamming SToss as it does 35 to Natu. Another unfortunate thing is the 4MSS it has as a defensive utility mon as it would like to have all of TWave, Knock, Toxic and even Encore. I still got some pretty solid results with it in test games for how annoying it is to kill it. This might also work without Rocks but it gets way harder to fit into a team.
CM Clefairy on the other hand is just not good. Too weak, notably not even being able to 3HKO Klang at +6, Scraggy comes in all day on it, it is easy to PP Stall it, easy to force it out before it manages to do anything back, the set is simply not it even if it clicks CM when the opponent is not waiting for it and they put themselves in a bad pos vs it.
Rocks Clefairy is in my eyes def a legit mon in the tier that also needs more exploration and more established purpose in the tier as hard as it is to take it down.

:BW/Grumpig:

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe or
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe (lets you taunt Dwebble)
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Whirlwind
- Taunt

Grumpig is no new face in PU either (also C rank) but I wanted to try it out as a bulky shuffler as it had very interesting tools in Taunt, Whirlwind and a good offensive movepool. This mon basically resists both Monferno STABs thanks to Thick Fat and offers overall good bulk while being quite annoying to switch into. The lack of reliable recovery on top of getting annoyed and potentially overwhelmed by Monferno spamming U-turn hurts its viability quite a lot tho.
This set in question means you are dealing with the increasingly popular HP Fighting Beheeyem while checking Monferno AND being able to shut down some of the conventional passive Psychic checks of the tier like Bronzor and Klang with Taunt. The set is pretty decent at what it has to offer and in test games it didn`t do anything too crazy mainly cuz of how often I had to switch it into Monferno U-turns but on paper it is still pretty ok. This is prob the set that lets it carve a niche for itself in the tier anyways so nothing special here.

:BW/Ivysaur:

Ivysaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

This thing's way to differ itself from Vileplume comes from Knock Off entirely. It can be pretty annoying to take it down but to be completely honest with you the Knock factor isn't that big for it as altho Plume's bulk is slightly worse than Ivysaur Plume can at least make up for it for being able to carry lefties, also Plume has an actual useful ability and a considerably wider list of options.
Just run Plume.

:BW/Lairon:

Lairon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Toxic
- Earthquake / Superpower

This thing is unimpressive. I didn't have high expectations for it since the beginning cuz of how flawed it looked on paper already and I was right, this thing is not good. At least it is another one of the rockers capable of upping on Natu and Tentacool but the drawbacks surpasses the pros. Head Smash hits hard and all but for that you have Rampardos, not only that but its bulk does too little for it when it has this bad of a defensive typing, very common physical hitters like Monferno and Torterra fists on it while special breakers tend to break through it easily cuz of its real pitiful special bulk even when boosted by Eviolite. This thing struggles to find opportunities to set rocks up and when/if it manages to it can barely do anything else in a game. It is also not that hard to switch into this mon as rock resists are not hard to come by and its coverage options dont hit as hard, even stuff like Klang can avoid a 2HKO from EQ and Lairon sometimes has to commit for Superpower to not like Scraggy shit on it making Lairon even less effective at breaking steels for the move`s inconsistency.

:BW/Meganium:

Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Tail
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

I didn't go as deep on this one since it is already very imaginable what it can accomplish, and the better way in my eyes to make it work is as a cleric spdef wall that can spam DTail. I didn't put too much thought into other potential sets like SD but I can already say it wouldn't be THAT potent since we have very good answers to it and it has high chances of just not doing anything in the game. I didn't test this mon a whole lot but as suggested by its C rank status it is just pretty solid, it can hold Stall teams together decently and while its typing can be useful and it can stack Rocks, Spikes or even TSpikes damage with DTail it can also open up a slot for Audino. All in all decent mon in stall that I don't think can be explored more than that.

:BW/Mienfoo:

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Toxic

Tbh this mon didn't do anything special in test games and imo that is because of lack of identity. It is funny to see such an unique concept of pivot in PU struggling to find purpose in the tier because of its lackluster stats, it is slow for what it wants to do, it is not that bulky even with 252 HP and Eviolite since it is still 2HKOd my many moves and it doesn't hit hard enough for a mon with a STAB 130BP move. Like at least it checks Scraggy kinda well except you just die afterwards if you miss HJK so even at that it is not that consistent. I strongly believe this is the only possible moveset for it in this tier if it wants to TRY to do something, it can cripple structures with Knock and Toxic at least to compensate the movepool and the lack of power. The mon looked interesting at first but after few tests and some additional thoughts it ended up not getting anywhere, I do not recommend.

:BW/Slaking:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Pursuit

This is in my opinion THE most fun mon to use in the entire tier and it is honestly not bad. The tier is not fat enough for it to just not get some good progress going and the fact that the tier has 1 viable and 2 semi-viable and very rare ghosts in the helps it a lot so mindgames are mostly defined by STAB x Eq. What makes me think it is not bad is not even the sheer power but also the fact it gets Pursuit and how easy it is to trap stuff as this mon forces so many switches. What sucks tho is the competition it has with Stoutland, although it hits harder and gets a more consistent tool to break steels, which doesn't end up being more consistent as it needs to waste another turn, Stoutland offers some more defensive value in Intimidate (i don't really like Scrappy Stoutland), the fact it has to worry about getting plays right a bit less than Slaking and how Slaking can allow a free setup or simply a free turn to something you don't want to allow.
All being said I def recommend this mon for how fun it is to use and for its usefulness on most matchups mainly when pursuitting something gets easy.

:BW/Staryu:

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

This one was a VERY interesting one, it has very unique assets as a spinner compared to Tentacool like reliable recovery, Natural Cure and a lack of Psychic and Ground weakness while Tentacool offers not only spin but the amazing TSpikes that can shred teams quite often while also offering the capability of instantly removing the same TSpikes from opposing Tenta on top of Knock Off.
I was shocked to realize that Staryu did not disappoint me at all in test games, sure it invites Torterra quite often while it is tasked to spin but its mu vs Stunfisk can be better than Tentas one due to Recover. Altho considerably less specially bulky than Tenta it can eat hits surprisingly well, this spread in question lets it avoid the 2HKO from Stunfisks Discharge and the OHKO from LO Zebstrika while giving great odds at avoiding the 2HKO from Beheeyem and Swoobat. This mon should DEFINITIVELY be more explored to see if its worth a team slot because from MY experience it went way above my expectations.

:BW/Wormadam-Trash:

Wormadam-Trash (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Protect

This one has a really good defensive typing but it is held back by its inability to create progress after setting rocks up, and speaking about rocks it can't keep rocks up vs Tenta or Natu. It is a really damn good Beheeyem check tho but it invites so many stuff for free that its presence on a team hurts more than helps. I wouldn't recommend this one, it can't significantly do anything in the tier. Btw I thought it had Levitate before fsr.

:BW/Bibarel:

Bibarel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Scald
- Thunderbolt / Super Fang

Bibarel @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Quick Attack
- Rest

Ah a fan favorite and the OG HM slave makes an appearance here too, and it actually seems like a really solid lead also capable of anti-lead stuff like Dwebble and Rampardos with perfection. It stands out mainly via its access to Taunt and its capability of beating Tentacool as a lead which is not common amongst suicide leads. Thunderbolt straight up 2HKOs Natu while Super Fang gives it a safer way at dealing with Tentacool as early Scald burns from Tentacool can be annoying and Tbolt doesn`t do much to it, while giving it more utility after setting rocks up. It had very satisfying results and it should get more attention in the future.
As for the Curse set, UNFORTUNATELY it is bad, it has a hard time setting up just to force itself to be too slow and it is not bulky to get easy opportunities to do that while its dual STAB is quite flawed offensively, maybe if it got Swords Dance it would have a chance as a legit setup sweeper but with Curse things are just too difficult for it to succeed.

:BW/Exploud:

Exploud @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

I was already surprised it wasn`t even ranked in D cuz it saw some usage in the past and it can def work in the tier, it is the best option of a special normal wallbreaker you can get so it doesn`t really compare to stuff like Stoutland or Ursaring, it hits really hard with LO and it has a great special movepool, but its speed is really annoying for itself. I don`t think there is too much for me to say it just does what it is supposed to do and it does well, speed hurts its viability but its really hard to switch into as it has moves for everything.

:BW/Gastly:

Gastly @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

This mon is bad. As a mon that can't take a single hit from anything it should act as a functional glass cannon to compensate the negative defensive prowess, but it is not good offensively either, not that strong for the tier and mainly bad offensive typing.

:BW/Glaceon:

Glaceon @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Ice Body
Modest / Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

This mon is alright, a stronger but slower Vanilluxe but what makes it worth the exploration is Baton Pass. The fact that you can keep momentum instead of just blindly click Ice Beam or coverage vs a fat Steel means you have freedom to overwhelm a structure with more ease with both hazards and from pivotting to other threats from your team. There`s nothing special to say about it since we have some idea how special ice wallbreakers kinda work with the past Vanilluxe usage. It is another type of mon that can hard on a rocker coming out on your Tenta`s spin which is really nice. Wish is straight up bad you`ve seen here before. Give it a try with a dedicated build and you can collect what it got to offer for sure.

:BW/Graveler:

Graveler @ Eviolite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch

Another old face in the tier, I decided I should try it cuz it hasn't been nearly as popular as it was in 2020 and I've never used it before. I mean there's not a lot to say, it is absurdly fat in the physical side and it hits considerably hard too while also being a ground that resists fire which can make Zebstrika mindgames harder for the opponent, it can be a good fit for offense still but yea as always it hates facing Torterra. Also the fact that it is 4x weak to Water makes its mu vs Tentacool not ideal as it can't do like the other ground setters to set Rocks back up. It is still an alright rocker for offense basically.

:BW/Heatmor:

Heatmor @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

This mon gets some cool stuff but it is very unfortunate. First of all it has the strongest Fire Blast in the whole tier capable of even 2HKOing Eviolite Monferno and Stunfisk with LO, it meats its grace by running a mixed set as it can have the pleasure by smacking waters with Thunder Punch, being superior than HP Electric even with the lack of Atk investment as it is enough to do absurd amounts to Tentacool while OHKOing Swanna easily and chunking Frillish really well, while Superpower deals with Scraggy and Zweilous on top of Sucker Punch to pick off weakened faster stuff (it also OHKOs Swoobat after rocks). The thing is, the tier does not lack Fire wallbreakers, you have the best mon in the tier Monferno, Simisear, Rapidash and even a nicher one in Lampent, and they all do good at breaking, ones better than others. Monferno also has priority while having multiple viable sets which can also run TPunch as Heatmor with STAB Fighting and it does not have to worry about rocks weakness, and it is not desperately slow like Heatmor, Simisear doesn't even need priority as it is quite fast for the tier and it hits hard too with Specs Fire Blast, it lacks on having a tool to smack Tentacool for sure but still has Focus Blast or even Superpower if you wanna go nuts on those Scraggies. Rapidash is also really fast for the tier and, while being a flawed wallbreaker, it packs some really interesting staff like Wild Charge for the same waters Heatmor can hit while not being desperate about lacking a good Fighting coverage as it is a strong physical wallbreaker and does a lot to Scraggy with Blitz (you can also run Megahorn for Zweilous :worrywhirl: ) and on top of all that it can run recovery and oh, it is also not desperately slow. Lampent has a LOT of interesting stuff to do that I will talk later about. I don't think you can justify using it unfortunately even tho it def has its uniqueness.

:BW/Kingler:

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty / Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Superpower
- Ice Beam / Return

Kingler @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Double-Edge
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

This mon is SO strong I had to know how the taste of clicking Banded Crabhammer looked like. I really had a good time with this mon on offensive builds, only Frillish really stops it tight cuz anything else gets blown away, ofc it has flaws like the super low special bulk making it harder to come in on some stuff and easier to get revenge killed and, altho not terrible, the speed being lower than the 80s hurts it a little bit. It does like 45 to Bronzor with Crabhammer, easily 2HKOs Beheeyem, Klang, Jumpluff, Mawile, Audino with Crabhammer, Torterra needs to be full HP full Def to withstand Crabhammers at full (X-Scissor 2HKOs it), Double-Edge 2HKOs even Vileplume while Superpower demolish Scraggy and Zweilous. I might try this mon with CB more times cuz it is really fun to use and altho not an ideal speed tier it has enough to justify a slot. As for the Agility set it also felt really good and it fits well on Spikes offense and Ice Beam has high odds at picking off Torterra after rocks + a layer of spikes but you can go for the safer route of Return on last slot for general coverage. It is also very fortunate to have enough speed with Adamant to outspeed Scarf Swanna. I really liked experimenting with this mon and it should get more attention, maybe even other sets like SD or Scarf could work, I can see it getting through the B ranks unironically.

:BW/Lampent:

Lampent @ Eviolite
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Lampent @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Trick

Another old face in the tier since the Throh times, this thing is still ok, it is the only true Monferno counter excluding the fact that it hates rocks and it is a VERY unique pokemon with very unique traits and a very unique typing, this mon didn't end up doing anything crazy on tests but I can acknowledge how annoying these 2 sets can be, with proper pilotting this mon can annihilate stall with the first set while just being generally very annoying to switch into, considering you hit your wisps, Zweilous is very annoyed by Wisp + Taunt but Scraggy unfortunately can get out of the situation due to Shed Skin, being Ghost is also very valuable not only for Monferno but also to deal with the psychic boosters.
Specs is very strong but like Heatmor's case you have Simisear that can do it better while not having to worry about speed issues, the really neat thing with Specs Lampent tho is Trick, it screws with any potential switch-in like Scraggy (it still takes a lot from Flame and Overheat), Zweilous, Tentacool and Audino, and yea the Monferno-checking thing too.

:BW/Luxray:

Luxray @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Luxray @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Facade
- Ice Fang
- Superpower

This mon was one of the most satisfying results I got in test games but I believe its due to the fact that no one saw the first set coming at all, I believe that with intimidate thiss bulky Luxray set is totally viable, it is decently annoying to switch into and it can Toxic a lot of stuff, while pivotting out of mons it can`t click Toxic like Klang, which means this mon can keep momentum while also being able to take hits, it can simply stay in on Torterra for example to click whatever it wants, even without -1 Torterra can`t kill Luxray at full as you proceed to HP Ice it and keep it low, give this set a try before it gets known, you won`t regret.
As for the Guts set, it is really solid and as far Guts wallbreakers go it is the best one, still not a perfect wallbreaker by any means since it is kinda slow and it is quite outplayable due to its moves not being too spamable while you get worn down by your own poison, but it hits really hard and can def help offensive teams with some nice early progress going on. I recommend this set with Spikes.
Overall a very solid mon and honestly slept on, I`ve seen one or two appearences of it but nothing that tickles the tier`s influence, give it a try with both sets and you can thank me later.

This post is already really big and I still got some stuff to test so this is only gonna be part 1, part 2 coming out soon.

tl:dr thoughts:
:solrock: - Defensive looks interesting, worth exploring more
:persian: - Best secondary weather setter + scarf felt really nice, worth a try
:emolga: - Everyone knows what it does + SubTox is horrible
:clefairy: - Really solid mon, CM sucks tho + worth exploration and even a VR rank
:grumpig: - Decent mon that can be annoying sometimes as it shuts down the convenient psychic checks
:ivysaur: - Only has knock going for it over Plume. Just run Plume
:lairon: - Underwhelming and has a lot of flaws
:meganium: - Great on stall with DTail and Aroma
:mienfoo: - Lacks stats and purpose
:slaking: - THE most fun mon to use imo, lowkey a threat and should be taken more seriously, great pursuiter, def give it a try
:staryu: - Surprisingly decent + fatter than it looks + has a lot of differences with Tentacool + worth giving it a shot
:wormadam-trash: - Big sitting duck, it doesn't do anything after setting up rocks and lets a bunch of stuff in for free
:bibarel: - Really solid lead as it also anti-leads, very unimpressive sweeper with Simple Curse
:exploud: - Should def get ranked + solid special wallbreaker, speed hurts tho + hard to fit but def worth a try
:gastly: - Outright bad
:glaceon: - Solid wallbreaker with Baton Pass to differ it out from Vanilluxe + speed and rocks weakness are kinda hard to manage tho
:graveler: - Decent rocker for offensive builds but still a very mid rocker overall and it dislikes a bunch of stuff in the tier
:heatmor: - It has interesting tools but it is just not worth a slot when compared to other Fire wallbreakers
:kingler: - GOOD mon + should honestly be ranked higher + has the potential to be a meta pick in the future
:lampent: - Very unique mon with a lot of cool tools to mess around like Trick, Taunt, Wisp and Pain Split, justifying a slot for it is hard tho
:luxray: - Really solid mon, intimidate special set can be annoying to play around as it can keep momentum, it is the best Guts user too but still a bit flawed as a wallbreaker

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
ADVPU.png

Art by IoSonoNeon
Approved by Hiro'

Welcome to ADV PU! In this post you will find ADV PU's resources such as Sample Teams, Viability Rankings, and our ongoing metagame discussion.
Sit and stay awhile, we're happy to have you!
BATON PASS IS LEGAL AGAIN BUT NO STAT PASSING
Full ADV PU Discussion thread here!
  • Species Clause: A player's team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same National Pokédex number.
  • Sleep Clause: If a player has already put a Pokémon on his/her opponent's side to sleep and it is still sleeping, another one can't be put to sleep.
  • Evasion Clause: A Pokémon's moveset cannot contain the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: A Pokémon's moveset cannot contain the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Endless Battle Clause: A player cannot intentionally prevent an opponent from being able to end the game without forfeiting.
  • Baton Pass Clause: A Pokémon's moveset cannot contain the move Baton Pass and a stat-boosting move or item.
ADV Mechanics:
For those unfamiliar with ADV, certain aspects are greatly different from more recent generations.
  • There is no team preview, your first Pokemon sent out is the first one in your team.
  • A move being physical or special is determined by the type of the move.
    • Physical moves: Normal, Fighting, Rock, Ground, Ghost, Poison, Steel, Bug, Flying
    • Special moves: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Ice, Psychic, Dark, Dragon
      • This means Hidden Power can be Physical as well as Special.
  • Steel resists Dark and Ghost.
  • Many items do not exist yet, notably Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Life Orb, Expert Belt, Eviolite, and more.
  • Grass-types can be affected by powder moves. Electric-types can be paralyzed by Thunder Wave.
  • Rest and Sleep Talk work weirdly, read this post for more information.
  • Explosion and Self-Destruct halve Defense in the damage calculation, so their powers may be listed as 500 and 400 respectively.
  • Wish is not based on the user's HP and only heals 50% of the max HP of the receiver.

Pokemon are ordered within their ranks based on the most viable. List does not include every legal Pokemon.

S Rank: Pokemon that define the metagame and consistently perform well
S
:minun:Minun
:swalot:Swalot

A Rank: Pokemon that are very good and will usually add something significant to a team
A+
:furret:Furret
:sealeo:Sealeo
:marshtomp:Marshtomp
:omanyte:Omanyte

A
:mawile:Mawile
:duskull:Duskull
:seadra:Seadra
:arbok:Arbok
:tangela:Tangela
:lickitung:Lickitung

A-
:vibrava:Vibrava
:grovyle:Grovyle
:seviper:Seviper
:ivysaur:Ivysaur
:dragonair:Dragonair
:charmeleon:Charmeleon
:trapinch:Trapinch
:togetic:Togetic

B Rank: Pokemon that are usable but may have some minor drawbacks
B+
:shuckle:Shuckle
:kingler:Kingler
:houndour:Houndour
:abra:Abra
:tropius:Tropius
:gastly:Gastly
:shelgon:Shelgon

B
:wigglytuff:Wigglytuff
:chinchou:Chinchou
:combusken:Combusken
:mightyena:Mightyena
:yanma:Yanma
:magcargo:Magcargo

B-
:lairon:Lairon
:wartortle:Wartortle
:graveler:Graveler
:dustox:Dustox
:beedrill:Beedrill
:volbeat:Volbeat
:quilava:Quilava
:elekid:Elekid
:doduo:Doduo

C Rank: Pokemon that either have major flaws or are outclassed and may need significant support
:clamperl:Clamperl
:snorunt:Snorunt
:bayleef:Bayleef
:noctowl:Noctowl
:lombre:Lombre
:ariados:Ariados
:magby:Magby
:anorith:Anorith
:masquerain:Masquerain

Big Stall by MrSoup [importable]
:omanyte::shelgon::duskull::wartortle::mawile::lickitung:
CB Furret+DD Dragonair by MrSoup [importable]
:furret::seadra::houndour::ivysaur::mawile::dragonair:
Special Dragonair+CB Crab by MrSoup [importable]
:dragonair::mawile::ivysaur::marshtomp::gastly::kingler:
SD Tropius Flying Spam by TONE [importable]
:lairon::seadra::doduo::tropius::delcatty::omanyte:
Sub SD Kingler by Eve [importable]
:kingler:
:shuckle:
:shelgon:
:minun:
:trapinch:
:furret:

ARCHIVE
Arbok Balance by BP [importable]
:omanyte::arbok::togetic::abra::mawile::sealeo:
Abra FWG by BP [importable]
:abra::sealeo::magcargo::ivysaur::duskull::mawile:
Sun by BP [importable]
:swalot::volbeat::tropius::charmeleon::tangela::houndour:
CB Kingler Balance [importable]
:omanyte::kingler::togetic::magcargo::dragonair::abra:
SpDef Noctowl Balance by TONE [importable]

Charmeleon Anti-Lead by SergioRules [importable]

SD Anorith Offense by Tack [importable]

Standard Offense [importable]

Charmeleon Offense by Akir [importable]

Banded Marshtomp Balance [importable]

SubSeed Grovyle Balance [importable]

Furret Spikes Balance [importable]

Walls (reliable recovery):
:lickitung:(Wish)
:tangela::togetic::tropius:
Walls (no reliable recovery):
:magcargo::mawile:
Clerics:
:lickitung:
Common Leads:

Normal Checks:
:graveler::magcargo::mawile:
Water Checks:

Ground Checks:
:seadra::tropius:
Fire Checks:
:graveler::kingler::magcargo::seadra:
(Physical) Dragonair Checks:
:mawile:
Priority (Quick Attack):

Wallbreakers:
:abra::arbok::swalot:
Spikes:

Rapid Spin:

Set Up Sweepers:
Swords Dance:
:kingler::lickitung::mawile::tropius:
Calm Mind:
:abra:
Agility:
:seadra:
Other (Curse, Dragon Dance, Belly Drum. Tail Glow):
:lickitung:
:shelgon:
:volbeat:
Pinch Berry (Salac, Liechi, Petaya):
/
/:abra:
Weather Abusers:
:seadra:/
:tangela::tropius:

FEs / NEs
Aipom Arbok Ariados Beautifly Beedrill Butterfree Castform Corsola Delcatty Delibird Ditto Dustox Furret Farfetch'd Illumise Kingler Ledian Lickitung Luvdisc Magcargo Masquerain Mawile Mightyena Minun Noctowl Nosepass Parasect Seadra Seaking Seviper Shedinja Shuckle Spinda Sunflora Swalot Tangela Togetic Tropius Unown Volbeat Wigglytuff Yanma

NFEs
Bayleef Cascoon Charmeleon Clefairy Combusken Croconaw Dragonair Flaaffy Gloom Graveler Grovyle Ivysaur Jigglypuff Kakuna Kirlia Lairon Lombre Loudred Marill Marshtomp Metapod Nidorina Nidorino Nuzleaf Pidgeotto Poliwhirl Quilava Sealeo Shelgon Silcoon Skiploom Vibrava Wartortle Weepinbell

LC / First evolution stage
Abra Anorith Aron Azurill Bagon Baltoy Barboach Beldum Bellsprout Bulbasaur Cacnea Carvanha Caterpie Charmander Chikorita Chinchou Clamperl Cleffa Corphish Cubone Cyndaquil Doduo Dratini Drowze Duskull Eevee Ekans Electrike Elekid Exeggcute Feebas Gastly Geodude Goldeen Grimer Growlithe Gulpin Hoothoot Hoppip Horsea Houndour Igglybuff Kabuto Koffing Krabby Larvitar Ledyba Lileep Lotad Machop Magby Magikarp Magnemite Makuhita Mankey Mareep Meditite Meowth Mudkip Natu Nidoran-F Nidoran-M Nincada Numel Oddish Omanyte Onix Paras Phanpy Pichu Pidgey Pineco Poliwag Ponyta Poochyena Porygon Psyduck Ralts Rattata Remoraid Rhyhorn Sandshrew Seedot Seel Sentret Shellder Shroomish Shuppet Skitty Slakoth Slowpoke Slugma Smoochum Snorunt Snubbull Spearow Spheal Spinarak Spoink Squirtle Staryu Sunkern Surskit Swablu Swinub Taillow Teddiursa Tentacool Togepi Torchic Totodile Trapinch Treecko Tyrogue Venonat Voltorb Vulpix Wailmer Weedle Whismur Wingull Wooper Wurmple Zigzagoon Zubat

Attachments

Last edited:

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Damn, poor Wigglytuff fell off, didn't he?
wigglytuff was never really ranked any higher (except in my own personal rankings)- it can still perform at a fine level in the tier after shifts, but it's largely outperformed by lickitung who does the same thing and more. given the low number of fighting-type moves you're likely to face in the tier right now i could imagine some defensive teams getting away with running both but i think you'd sooner run togetic in most cases.

also, i would like to remind everyone to take the above rankings with skepticism seeing as this meta is very untested overall. excited to see what comes from the tournament!

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
hi! i've heard a fair few people say recently that "sm is a fun meta it just sucks to build for" so i've built several teams that people can use to alleviate this issue. i don't have the time to write detailed descriptions for each, given there's a fair few, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask on discord! hope you can find a team you like! :blobnom:

1. Grassium Z Special Victreebel + Choice Band Golurk Balance
:sm/victreebel::sm/golurk::sm/regirock::sm/cryogonal::sm/lanturn::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/8f5ff1db63d6722e

2. Grassium Z Swords Dance Victreebel + Gurdurr Balance
:sm/victreebel::sm/gurdurr::sm/sandslash-alola::sm/altaria::sm/mr_mime::sm/eelektross:
https://pokepast.es/1df2d67bc9b47c3a

3. Grassium Z Special Victreebel + Stoutland Balance
:sm/victreebel::sm/stoutland::sm/metang::sm/altaria::sm/lanturn::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/393d9544d80c1cc4

4. Grassium Z Special Victreebel + Choice Band Spam
:sm/victreebel::sm/primeape::sm/stoutland::sm/regirock::sm/cryogonal::sm/lumineon:
https://pokepast.es/5e3866bf51c99fea

5. Grassium Z Simisear + Stoutland Balance
:sm/simisear::sm/regirock::sm/crabominable::sm/stoutland::sm/skuntank::sm/lanturn:
https://pokepast.es/409df974d9ff3b10

6. Fightinium Z Simisear + Lycanroc Webs HO
:sm/simisear::sm/mr_mime::sm/qwilfish::sm/shuckle::sm/shiftry::sm/lycanroc:
https://pokepast.es/02626dacedad3354

7. Waterium Z Omastar + Stoutland Balance
:sm/omastar::sm/stoutland::sm/mudsdale::sm/altaria::sm/cryogonal::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/7ca2b4e89e5d4cba

8. Waterium Z Endure Omastar Balance
:sm/omastar::sm/primeape::sm/sandslash-alola::sm/eelektross::sm/silvally-dragon::sm/tangela:
https://pokepast.es/84eefb3b433f8ea1

9. Waterium Z Omastar Webs HO
:sm/omastar::sm/shuckle::sm/simisear::sm/haunter::sm/primeape::sm/aggron:
https://pokepast.es/e6903444b9137bb1

10. Lycanium Z Lycanroc + Trapper Kangaskhan Balance
:sm/lycanroc::sm/kangaskhan::sm/eelektross::sm/sandslash-alola::sm/jellicent::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/ad2ee6d68831093e

11. Lycanium Z Lycanroc + Regirock Balance
:sm/lycanroc::sm/regirock::sm/lurantis::sm/lanturn::sm/mr_mime::sm/skuntank:
https://pokepast.es/27af4093c89ca32f

12. Waterium Z Jellicent + Chople Berry Drampa Balance
:sm/jellicent::sm/drampa::sm/bronzor::sm/primeape::sm/lurantis::sm/granbull:
https://pokepast.es/7af5e916f111eebe

13. Normalium Z-Celebrate Leafeon + Choice Specs Drampa
:sm/leafeon::sm/drampa::sm/lanturn::sm/metang::sm/primeape::sm/silvally-fairy:
https://pokepast.es/660c9e92c911d360

14. Waterium Z Swanna + Stoutland Balance
:sm/swanna::sm/primeape::sm/cryogonal::sm/mudsdale::sm/stoutland::sm/tangela:
https://pokepast.es/54f572c565c00e49

15. Icium Z Sandslash-Alola Hail Balance
:sm/sandslash-alola::sm/abomasnow::sm/jellicent::sm/mudsdale::sm/stoutland::sm/hitmonchan:
https://pokepast.es/39cd4d9bfab26841

16. Icium Z Sandslash-Alola Hail Spike Stack
:sm/sandslash-alola::sm/aurorus::sm/clefairy::sm/ferroseed::sm/silvally-dragon::sm/sableye:
https://pokepast.es/b59f78d4dbe28133

17. Icium Z Ludicolo Rain Offense
:sm/ludicolo::sm/qwilfish::sm/kabutops::sm/volbeat::sm/liepard::sm/sandslash-alola:
https://pokepast.es/dfe267d728c59323

18. Flyinium Z Dodrio Normal Spam Balance
:sm/dodrio::sm/stoutland::sm/sableye::sm/metang::sm/lanturn::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/0b7f4697001dd839

19. Fightinium Z Kangaskhan Spike Stack
:sm/kangaskhan::sm/ferroseed::sm/eelektross::sm/mudsdale::sm/jellicent::sm/sandslash-alola:
https://pokepast.es/084fa0cd9db5c468

20. Darkinium Z Raticate-Alola + Grumpig Spike Stack
:sm/raticate-alola::sm/grumpig::sm/ferroseed::sm/sableye::sm/mudsdale::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/dbf1d8241fc1ea09

Last edited:
hi! i've heard a fair few people say recently that "sm is a fun meta it just sucks to build for" so i've built several teams that people can use to alleviate this issue. i don't have the time to write detailed descriptions for each, given there's a fair few, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask on discord! hope you can find a team you like! :blobnom:

1. Grassium Z Special Victreebel + Choice Band Golurk Balance
:sm/victreebel::sm/golurk::sm/regirock::sm/cryogonal::sm/lanturn::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/8f5ff1db63d6722e

2. Grassium Z Swords Dance Victreebel + Gurdurr Balance
:sm/victreebel::sm/gurdurr::sm/sandslash-alola::sm/altaria::sm/mr_mime::sm/eelektross:
https://pokepast.es/1df2d67bc9b47c3a

3. Grassium Z Special Victreebel + Stoutland Balance
:sm/victreebel::sm/stoutland::sm/metang::sm/altaria::sm/lanturn::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/393d9544d80c1cc4

4. Grassium Z Special Victreebel + Choice Band Spam
:sm/victreebel::sm/primeape::sm/stoutland::sm/regirock::sm/cryogonal::sm/lumineon:
https://pokepast.es/5e3866bf51c99fea

5. Grassium Z Simisear + Stoutland Balance
:sm/simisear::sm/regirock::sm/crabominable::sm/stoutland::sm/skuntank::sm/lanturn:
https://pokepast.es/409df974d9ff3b10

6. Fightinium Z Simisear + Lycanroc Webs HO
:sm/simisear::sm/mr_mime::sm/qwilfish::sm/shuckle::sm/shiftry::sm/lycanroc:
https://pokepast.es/02626dacedad3354

7. Waterium Z Omastar + Stoutland Balance
:sm/omastar::sm/stoutland::sm/mudsdale::sm/altaria::sm/cryogonal::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/7ca2b4e89e5d4cba

8. Waterium Z Endure Omastar Balance
:sm/omastar::sm/primeape::sm/sandslash-alola::sm/eelektross::sm/silvally-dragon::sm/tangela:
https://pokepast.es/84eefb3b433f8ea1

9. Waterium Z Omastar Webs HO
:sm/omastar::sm/shuckle::sm/simisear::sm/haunter::sm/primeape::sm/aggron:
https://pokepast.es/e6903444b9137bb1

10. Lycanium Z Lycanroc + Trapper Kangaskhan Balance
:sm/lycanroc::sm/kangaskhan::sm/eelektross::sm/sandslash-alola::sm/jellicent::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/ad2ee6d68831093e

11. Lycanium Z Lycanroc + Regirock Balance
:sm/lycanroc::sm/regirock::sm/lurantis::sm/lanturn::sm/mr_mime::sm/skuntank:
https://pokepast.es/27af4093c89ca32f

12. Waterium Z Jellicent + Chople Berry Drampa Balance
:sm/jellicent::sm/drampa::sm/bronzor::sm/primeape::sm/lurantis::sm/granbull:
https://pokepast.es/7af5e916f111eebe

13. Normalium Z-Celebrate Leafeon + Choice Specs Drampa
:sm/leafeon::sm/drampa::sm/lanturn::sm/metang::sm/primeape::sm/silvally-fairy:
https://pokepast.es/660c9e92c911d360

14. Waterium Z Swanna + Stoutland Balance
:sm/swanna::sm/primeape::sm/cryogonal::sm/mudsdale::sm/stoutland::sm/tangela:
https://pokepast.es/54f572c565c00e49

15. Icium Z Sandslash-Alola Hail Balance
:sm/sandslash-alola::sm/abomasnow::sm/jellicent::sm/mudsdale::sm/stoutland::sm/hitmonchan:
https://pokepast.es/0d2a7626752a9389

16. Icium Z Sandslash-Alola Hail Spike Stack
:sm/sandslash-alola::sm/aurorus::sm/clefairy::sm/ferroseed::sm/silvally-dragon::sm/sableye:
https://pokepast.es/b59f78d4dbe28133

17. Icium Z Ludicolo Rain Offense
:sm/ludicolo::sm/qwilfish::sm/kabutops::sm/volbeat::sm/liepard::sm/sandslash-alola:
https://pokepast.es/aa60914fa2bdf9c4

18. Flyinium Z Dodrio Normal Spam Balance
:sm/dodrio::sm/stoutland::sm/sableye::sm/metang::sm/lanturn::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/0b7f4697001dd839

19. Fightinium Z Kangaskhan Spike Stack
:sm/kangaskhan::sm/ferroseed::sm/eelektross::sm/mudsdale::sm/jellicent::sm/sandslash-alola:
https://pokepast.es/084fa0cd9db5c468

20. Darkinium Z Raticate-Alola + Grumpig Spike Stack
:sm/raticate-alola::sm/grumpig::sm/ferroseed::sm/sableye::sm/mudsdale::sm/primeape:
https://pokepast.es/dbf1d8241fc1ea09
These are really cool samples, but I don't understand why Ludiocolo has a reduced HP IV in the rain sample if it doesn't even have life orb equipped. Also, the Abomasnow has no reason to be Naive if it's running no physical attacks. I know everyone makes mistakes, but I'm just trying to look out for mistakes in certain teams or movesets.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
These are really cool samples, but I don't understand why Ludiocolo has a reduced HP IV in the rain sample if it doesn't even have life orb equipped. Also, the Abomasnow has no reason to be Naive if it's running no physical attacks. I know everyone makes mistakes, but I'm just trying to look out for mistakes in certain teams or movesets.
ah thank you i didnt notice those, good catch. fixed now.

SergioRules

||blimp||
In case you haven't heard, ADV PU just finished up a pretty big TOURNAMENT for our playerbase. One of the main reasons for this tour was to get more data on our newest tier changes that happened back in May. I'd have to say this was a great success, and personally I thought it was a lot of fun. I wanted to compile the usage stats so we can see what trends there are in this current meta.
ADV PU

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| 1    | Omanyte            |   67 |  44.08% |  52.99% |
| 1    | Minun              |   67 |  44.08% |  50.75% |
| 3    | Mawile             |   62 |  40.79% |  50.81% |
| 4    | Furret             |   54 |  35.53% |  47.22% |
| 5    | Dragonair          |   39 |  25.66% |  46.15% |
| 6    | Sealeo             |   36 |  23.68% |  41.67% |
| 7    | Togetic            |   32 |  21.05% |  57.81% |
| 8    | Abra               |   31 |  20.39% |  45.16% |
| 9    | Duskull            |   26 |  17.11% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Piloswine          |   24 |  15.79% |  66.67% |
| 10   | Houndour           |   24 |  15.79% |  45.83% |
| 12   | Ivysaur            |   23 |  15.13% |  52.17% |
| 12   | Trapinch           |   23 |  15.13% |  36.96% |
| 14   | Kingler            |   22 |  14.47% |  31.82% |
| 15   | Swalot             |   21 |  13.82% |  57.14% |
| 16   | Arbok              |   20 |  13.16% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Grovyle            |   18 |  11.84% |  55.56% |
| 18   | Gastly             |   17 |  11.18% |  44.12% |
| 19   | Tangela            |   15 |   9.87% |  60.00% |
| 19   | Lickitung          |   15 |   9.87% |  53.33% |
| 21   | Magcargo           |   14 |   9.21% |  53.57% |
| 21   | Doduo              |   14 |   9.21% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Wigglytuff         |   12 |   7.89% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Vibrava            |   12 |   7.89% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Wartortle          |   12 |   7.89% |  33.33% |
| 26   | Lairon             |   10 |   6.58% |  50.00% |
| 26   | Marshtomp          |   10 |   6.58% |  30.00% |
| 28   | Seadra             |    9 |   5.92% |  55.56% |
| 28   | Shuckle            |    9 |   5.92% |  38.89% |
| 28   | Tropius            |    9 |   5.92% |  33.33% |
| 28   | Beedrill           |    9 |   5.92% |  22.22% |
| 32   | Chinchou           |    8 |   5.26% |  75.00% |
| 32   | Yanma              |    8 |   5.26% |  37.50% |
| 32   | Charmeleon         |    8 |   5.26% |  37.50% |
| 35   | Combusken          |    7 |   4.61% |  28.57% |
| 35   | Shelgon            |    7 |   4.61% |  21.43% |
| 37   | Seviper            |    5 |   3.29% |  80.00% |
| 37   | Lombre             |    5 |   3.29% |  40.00% |
| 37   | Tentacool          |    5 |   3.29% |  40.00% |
| 40   | Snorunt            |    4 |   2.63% |  75.00% |
| 40   | Anorith            |    4 |   2.63% |  50.00% |
| 40   | Shedinja           |    4 |   2.63% |  25.00% |
| 43   | Ledian             |    3 |   1.97% |  66.67% |
| 43   | Mightyena          |    3 |   1.97% |  50.00% |
| 43   | Noctowl            |    3 |   1.97% |  33.33% |
| 43   | Drowzee            |    3 |   1.97% |  33.33% |
| 43   | Staryu             |    3 |   1.97% |  33.33% |
| 43   | Magby              |    3 |   1.97% |   0.00% |
| 49   | Volbeat            |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 49   | Quilava            |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 49   | Porygon            |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 49   | Flaaffy            |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 53   | Ariados            |    1 |   0.66% | 100.00% |
| 53   | Zigzagoon          |    1 |   0.66% | 100.00% |
| 53   | Delibird           |    1 |   0.66% | 100.00% |
| 53   | Voltorb            |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 53   | Bayleef            |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 53   | Ponyta             |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 53   | Clamperl           |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 53   | Graveler           |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 53   | Elekid             |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from QUAGSIREULTRASTAN.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from TSR.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from CHLOE.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from LILY.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from MUSHAMU.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from I♥FOXGIRLS.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from EVE.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from GOREX.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from GOREX.
  • Missing 4 Pokemon from MULTIPOKEMON.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from MRSOUP.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from MZ.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from QUAGSIREULTRASTAN.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from SERGIORULES.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from SERGIORULES.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from BIGFATMANTIS.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from GOREX.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from DIANNIERATSON.
  • Missing 3 Pokemon from MRSOUP.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from MZ.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from SERGIORULES.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from CHLOE.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from LILY.
  • Missing 1 Pokemon from LILY.
  • Missing 5 Pokemon from ZOOEEEEEE.
  • Missing 5 Pokemon from MULTIPOKEMON.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from CHLOE.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from BIGFATMANTIS.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from MRSOUP.
  • Missing 3 Pokemon from SEXYWOOPER.
  • Missing 2 Pokemon from LADY WRITER ❄.

ADV PU

Code:
+ ---- + ----------------------- + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Leads                   | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
+ ---- + ----------------------- + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| 1    | Minun                   |   28 |  18.42% |  55.36% |
| 1    | Omanyte                 |   28 |  18.42% |  51.79% |
| 3    | Furret                  |   22 |  14.47% |  31.82% |
| 4    | Grovyle                 |   12 |   7.89% |  50.00% |
| 5    | Abra                    |    9 |   5.92% |  61.11% |
| 6    | Kingler                 |    7 |   4.61% |  35.71% |
| 7    | Swalot                  |    5 |   3.29% |  40.00% |
| 7    | Marshtomp               |    5 |   3.29% |  20.00% |
| 9    | Piloswine               |    4 |   2.63% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Snorunt                 |    4 |   2.63% |  75.00% |
| 9    | Chinchou                |    4 |   2.63% |  75.00% |
| 9    | Tangela                 |    4 |   2.63% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Seadra                  |    3 |   1.97% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Ivysaur                 |    3 |   1.97% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Sealeo                  |    3 |   1.97% |  66.67% |
| 16   | Quilava                 |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 16   | Arbok                   |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 16   | Combusken               |    2 |   1.32% |  50.00% |
| 16   | Mawile                  |    2 |   1.32% |   0.00% |
| 20   | Voltorb                 |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 20   | Mightyena               |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |
| 20   | Elekid                  |    1 |   0.66% |   0.00% |

Here are some of my initial thoughts from the games I played and the games I watched.
  • :minun: is still one of the biggest threats out there. Out of the new drops, none of them are faster than Minun and several of them lose to it straight out of the gate. Omanyte slightly beat it in overall winrate but Minun's winrate as a lead was noticeably higher.
  • Speaking of :omanyte:, Spikes still make it an ever-present force in the metagame, matching Minun's usage number as both a lead and in general. It is by far the best hazard setter and it shows.
  • :piloswine: is one of the biggest outliers in this data. It is one of two leads with a 100% winrate as well as the highest usage Pokemon, tied for 10th place, with an over 60% winrate (next is Tangela which sits at 19th). We're keeping a close eye on this and trying to have more discussion on it.
  • :swalot: is the next new drop that might become a problem. The data doesn't show it as much as it does with Piloswine, but the coverage of this Pokemon is super hard to deal with in the builder and in games. It can almost always get 2 KOs or at least close to it thanks to its high power moves and Explosion.
  • :kingler: is a drop that most people thought would be overwhelming but was probably even a little bit of the opposite. SubSD sets struggle with coverage and mixed sets don't do nearly as much as they'd like to since Kingler's special power is so low.
  • :lickitung::shelgon::graveler: are all Pokemon I was very excited about. Unfortunately, Graveler severely underperformed, likely because of our plethora of Water- and Grass-types and Grass-type coverage. Shelgon I think was mostly used as a defensive Wish passer, but I'm curious to see some exploration into DD as it does have some coverage over Dragonair even though it's slower. Lastly, Lickitung seemed to do decently well, again, mostly used as a defensive Wish user, but I think both SD and Curse can be extremely threatening in the right situations.
Thanks to everyone who played and I hope you all had fun! I'm looking forward to another great year of ADV PU, filled with at least one ADV PU TOURNAMENT again!

Last edited:

LpZ

capy
is a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Post PUWC BW VR post (unordered):

1674087746189.png

Drops:

:monferno: S to A+ - Don't get me wrong, this is still the best mon in the tier imo but I think the tier got to a point that Monferno can't really be far from the other A+ mons mainly due to 2 reasons, Stunfisk being everywhere which made playing with Monferno much more uncomfortable and the decrease in Scraggy usage which makes Monferno less relevant to have as a Scraggy check. CB is still a very good set that can do up to 45 to Stunfisk and if you are lucky enough which happened more often than not you don't get Static proc.

:tentacool: A+ to A - Tspikes is amazing but idt Tentacool should ever be considered A+ imo, although it is arguably the best spinner available it just doesn't spin consistently at all, it doesn't check that big of a number of threats and it was possible to see the tier adapting to Tspikes pretty decently this PUWC and it doesn't really appreciate Golduck's usage dropping and Swanna rising (as Scarf Brave Bird 2HKOs it and SubsRoost just gets to sub for free). A seems to be the perfect rank for it to be honest.

:scraggy: A+ to A - I thought I was getting insane for thinking it should drop pre-PUWC but as time went on I could see why this thing dropped considerably, basically Swanna reshaped the definitions of special sponges in the tier, unless you run something like Scraggy + Klang which is alright you are pretty much always in danger vs Swanna if you are relying on Scraggy to take those special hits. It is still a threat that checks can't even be sure to take it out due to multiple factors and it still is a mon that always has to be accounted for when building but its defensive profile got worse.

:arbok: A to A- - This pokemon is a really good piece for offensive teams as it is a Tspikes absorber but I just don't see this mon be as threatening as other mons in the A tier, also building with Arbok even on offense is kinda hard and it also doesn't appreciate Bronzor usage getting slightly higher.

:dodrio: A to A- - This pokemon did not do too hot in PUWC and it overall doesn't appreciate the current environment with Stunfisk + Steel being everywhere and its just been taking less into consideration than something like Swanna for the flying-type slot.

:gabite: A to A- - This one I'm still unsure but it def got a bit worse for me comparing to its performance in last tournaments, offensive sets don't like the uptick in Bronzor usage although it likes Torterra being much lower in usage, the defensive set however, even though it has unique traits like access to Roar and fire resistance and water and grass neutrality in a rocks setter, does not appreciate the eyes on Stunfisk cuz of the opportunity cost, since Stunfisk not only is overall bulkier but it can also run Lefties while not being 4x Ice-weak (relevant against Zebra) and having a very useful flying resist on top of Static to punish stuff clicking recklessly on it. I'm not 100% sold on this drop but currently I'm leaning towards it.

:swoobat: A to A- - Really hates the drop in Scraggy's relevance/usage and it doesn't like Stunfisk being the most used rocker rn too. Doesn't seem too appealing currently.

:purugly: A to A- - STUNFISK and Bronzor (and even Vileplume at some extent).

:mawile: A to B+ - The defensive set has a considerable opportunity cost for not running Bronzor which is ground immune and Fighting neutral and it is a Flying resist that gets destroyed by Swanna even tho it still got Intimidate which is great and Baton Pass while offensive sets are still the best way to go with it but still really dislikes Stunfisk and Bronzor.

:rampardos: A to B+ - I just find Dwebble to be a better lead while other Rampardos sets are honestly really hard to pull off cuz of that painfully low Speed for such mon, which btw Marowak kinda outclasses it as a slow physical wallbreaker cuz of the better typing and even higher Atk with the Club.

:fraxure: A- to B+ - Stunfisk and guess what, Bronzor. But it also doesn't like the number of priority spam teams increasing a little bit even tho it needs the +2 to not be easily revengekilled.

:natu: B+ to B - Owned by Stunfisk (the most used rocker).

:rapidash: B+ to B - Its not like 100% owned by Stunfisk as it can at least lure it in and click Wisp or Toxic but you are not running Monferno and it still wants to do damage instead of just statusing Stunfisk which makes its presence less impactful in my eyes. It was also nowhere to be found in PUWC.

:ursaring: B+ to B - Stoutland is officially the CEO of normal wallbreaker, the Quick Feet was just always hard to pull off cuz of all the residual taken but at least with Stoutland not being as popular in the latest tournaments it was being taken into consideration more often cuz of the speed and all but Stoutland just took over now. BU RestTalk set is its best set rn imo but it has the always glaring problem of having to run Rest.

:mantine: B+ to B- - I just think it is bad. Rain is not good with 5 turns and that SubTox set that is on that old ass sample is just not good at all imo.

:vanilluxe: B+ to B- - The rocks weakness paired with its underwhelming coverage options leaves it with a very inconsistent wallbreaker status while the tier is not lacking too much in Ice resists as of lately. Also no one is using it anymore.

:articuno: B to B- - Still a solid pick on stall but rocks is just waaaay too hard to get rid of in this tier for it to do anything other than click Roost into being forced to switch out. Modern stall builds also don't tend to run it and they are not losing much by doing that.

:krokorok: B to B- - I've been feeling this for a good while now, this mon is simply not that good. The Torterra problem it used to have is a bit less relevant now since Stunfisk took over as the most used rocker but CB still has a very awkward speed tier to work with being outsped by the common base 80s in the tier and being generally super frail which limits its opportunities quite a lot + if Torterra is the opposing rocker Krok is likely not breaking much outside of maybe getting a key pursuit on Beheeyem/Duosion which is prob the most valuable thing this mon can do hence why I think this is the best set for it. Scarf hits like a wet noodle and Swoobat is not common enough for it to have an excuse rn, even Beehe and Duosion can stay in and click Recover if its not CB to scout what it wanna do, and rocks set just means that you are not using Stunfisk, Torterra or Gabite as your ground rocker, and even with Eviolite this mon is frail.

:muk: B to B- - It absolutely hates the rise of Stunfisk as it could at least do some Torterra dirty with Ice Punch stuff but it is still an ok bulky attacker that can absorb Tspikes, I just don't think he should be alongside the other B rank mons.

:emolga: B- to C+ - Torterra down, Scraggy down, Stunfisk up, Emolga sad.

:leafeon: B- to C+ - I just think Leafeon doesn't belong on B- with the other mons I ranked there, it has potential and good stats but it just doesn't offer the same value as something like Maractus, Vileplume or Simisage would offer.

:pelipper: B- to C+ - Appreciates the slight rise of CB Monferno but hates Torterra and Scraggy being lower in usage, it is also annoyed somehow by Stunfisk and Pelipper just took over with its much superior offensive profile.

:volbeat: B- to C+ - He can't cook shit outside of weather which is on its lowest point rn.

Rises:

:stoutland: A to A+ - Dog is back and it is just very good right now at breaking, while it does not like getting paralyzed too much it def accepts the trade with opposing Stunfisk trying to fish so its teammates like Monferno can go big which is very useful, Stoutland can also enjoy turns to help breaking through stuff like Bronzor which is honestly impressive cuz Bronzor is supposed to be its sturdiest check. Scarf sets are also really cool imo as it still hits hard enough while having the surprise factor on hand (not a surprise anymore ig LOL) as shown in Shuckleking vs roxie on PUPL and me vs TJ on PUWC Finals. Amazing mon rn.

:vileplume: B+ to A- - Its solid defensive assets paired with the ability to absorb Tspikes is just so useful right now while it has a wide range of tools to use, Aromatherapy is very useful right now to support Rest users like Klang or Bronzor while also letting your Monferno click on Stunfisk with less punity, spreading Sludge Bomb poison is always good, Stun Spore is also useful and can catch stuff pretty nicely, Worry Seed is a very underrated thing too as it deals with Scraggy and other Rest users like Zweilous and Klang and with a bit of luck you 1v1 Bronzor too. SD sets are still decent but with Scraggy being less present this set is not as relevant as it used to be imo.

:simisear: B to A- - This mon just hits so hard with Specs while keeping a great speed tier and it somehow abuses the fact many teams use Stunfisk as a sort of Fire check, I'm not too big of a fan of NP tho. It also got some decent success in PUPL iirc.

:simisage: B to B+ - I just don't think it should be in B ever, it is a hard mon to use for sure but the reward is worth enough to not be in the same tier where Articuno was.

:huntail: B to B+ - Actually quite difficult to stop as it can be either Special or Physical both having different defensive answers and offensively it is as hard to deal with as the only scarfers capable of outspeeding it at +2 is Swanna, Mr Mime, Dodrio and Persian (its legit I swear) which can even be tech'd with Sucker Punch to OHKO Dodrio and Swanna after rocks and Mr Mime outright, it also has a very decent bulk allowing for easy setups.

:kingler: C to B - I wasn't kidding when I said this mon will be the next big thing, this thing has massive potential as CB basically doesnt have good switch-ins bar Frillish and sometimes clicking Crabhammer is just so free and it can abuse the fact it forces switches with easy to get itself a setup turn with either SD or Agility (Agility with Spikes is deadly). I swear guys try this thing out it goes crazy whenever it doesn't face Frillish.

:dragonair: C to B- - Really cool mon imo and rn its best set is def DD DTail RestTalk with full SpDef imo, this mon is very bulky already and it does great use of Rest cuz it procs its Marvel Scale to boost its Defense even further and it can also click neutral priority Dragon Tails when asleep while boosting itself with DD still, I'd use this set on stall with Spikes and Heal Bell support to make the most out of this bulky wincon.

New:

:vullaby: UR to B - This mon is actually really solid, it has a so many tools to work with depending on what a team might need while being very fat overall. My favorite Vullaby set rn is Brave Bird Taunt Toxic Roost which honestly 6-0s modern stall and still does decently into more offensive teams but it can also make good use of U-turn, Foul Play, Knock Off and Whirlwind. It can check stuff like Beeheyem, Duosion, Scraggy, Torterra, Shiftry, Edgeless Marowak and many others. I'm def looking forward to see it getting more usage.

:luxray: UR to B- - Another decent mon that was left out of the VR, it can either be a bulky annoying pivot or a Guts breaker and I'm personally a fan of the bulky pivot set, Intimidate is a great tool for it giving many opportunities to come in on stuff, it doesn't have outstanding defensive stats nor a good defensive typing but it has enough to be a cool glue for offensive teams, Thunderbolt Volt Switch HP Ice Toxic can actually annoy any type of team. The Guts set is ok but the low speed is much more relevant on this set than on the bulky set since you are always taking damage from poison and hazards so you have very few opportunities to strike with moves that are not spammable at all, still an ok set.

:slaking: UR to B- - Already talked about this on my project post but just would like to restate that this mon is legit, CB and get your kills or Pursuit something (which is the main reason I see this mon as usable at all).

:clefairy: UR to C+ - Solid utility mon that can actually take a lot of hits and is hard to switch in unpunished with a wide variety of options on its disposal like Knock Off, TWave, Toxic and Encore. Also talked more about this mon in another post.

:exploud: UR to C+ - Can't pack the 'burst just yet but it still hits really hard with its perfect special coverage. Speed really hurts but hits hard enough to warrant a rank ig.

:whiscash: UR to C+ - Ok hear me out, this thing is legit, I almost ranked it on B- cuz it is actually a really solid sweeper. It doesn't have incredible offensive stats but the bulk and typing helps it so much to give it opportunities to spare, mainly to act as a Zebstrika check in an offensive team which is always cool. DD Waterfall EQ Blizzard/Ice Beam does what it needs to do, Blizzard is an option so you guarantee killing SpDef Torterra after Rocks + 1 spike while Ice Beam is a safer option to hit other grasses like Jumpluff and Simisage if you think you can wear opposing Torterra down enough for Beam to kill. Also always run this with Spikes (Dwebble or Glalie preferably). I haven`t messed with special sets to say enough.

:Bibarel: UR to C+ - Talked about this on my other post but its actually a decent lead capable of anti-leading Dwebble and Rampardos while setting up rocks of its own as well. Don't use Curse.

:pikachu: UR to C - This mon either does everything or is just used as sack but holy shit does it hit hard. The main appeal is that on top of just hitting really hard it also does have access to Extreme Speed which is very useful to pick off other faster stuff and to outpriority other mons like Shiftry or Monferno. Hard to build with and harder to use it but like damn this mon can own sometimes real hard.

:hippopotas: UR to C - Idk why this wasn't ranked before, rocker with reliable recovery uncapable of dying on the physical side being a great check vs stuff like Monferno (unlike the other rocker with recover Torterra) and Gabite.

:palpitoad: UR to D - Rocker + Zebra check which can also take hits decently well.

:magnemite: UR to D - Traps the steels, not THAT effectively cuz Bronzor's Psywave does a lot to it potentially, Klang can Volt Switch and Mawile can BP out (it dies before it gets to do it but it pivots out on Mag coming in).

:staryu: UR to D - Spinner with recovery that can actually threaten some stuff and it can spin on Frillish.

:dunsparce: UR to D - Agility pass into this can cheese past teams if not facing something like Frillish or Mawile.

:dustox: UR to D - Idt I need to say anything.

:solrock: UR to D - Rocker with recovery and Wisp and ok bulk which makes it kinda annoying to switch in on it.

:walrein: UR to D - SubTox is ok overall and the passive stuff that don't mind taking the hits struggle with breaking the Substitute.

:whirlipede: UR to D - Spikes + Tspikes in a grounded Poison mon with good bulk can do something.

:regigigas: UR to D - Sub Confuse Ray can cheese past its own ability allowing it to start clicking if you get the right amount of luck. Helped get my first PUPL win btw.

:octillery: UR to D - Hits really hard with great coverage but needs a ton of support to get going with ParaSpam since its just sooooo slow.

WHAT I THINK COULD HAVE A CHANCE OF MOVING

:bronzor: A- to A
:gabite: A- to A
:zweilous: B+ to A-
:rampardos: B+ to A-

I'm gonna do a post about the teams I used on PUWC I don't promise but for now I'll leave you with this.

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
marsh.png

PILOSWINE IS BANNED FROM ADV PU

After much discussion among the playerbase and after the conclusion of ADV PU Cup, we have decided to ban Piloswine from ADV PU.
While not a completely unstoppable force, Piloswine's strong STAB Earthquakes coming off of the second highest Attack stat in the tier can put a dent in just about any Pokemon, even most who resist it. The most effective way of dealing with these Earthquakes is by using immunities, however, Choice Band sets can easily run Rock Slide to take out Flying-types like Noctowl and Togetic, while even an uninvested STAB Ice Beam hits Grass-types and Levitate users like Tangela, Tropius, Duskull, and Vibrava super hard. The only Pokemon that take neutral damage from all of EQ/Rock Slide/Ice Beam are Duskull, which does not beat Piloswine, and Lombre, which has to invest so defensively to live hits that it loses the ability to reliably KO Piloswine itself. Piloswine's bulk also makes it hard to KO. While 60 SpD is nothing to write home about, it's easily offset by 100 base HP and 80 Def. This combination of bulk and offensive power has been deemed too much for the tier to handle so Piloswine is off to ADV PUBL!

1679663073294.png
1679663009124.png
ON THE RADAR
1679663042598.png
1679663095360.png

As we continue to try and improve the ADV PU metagame, we try to look at things that could potentially become problems in the future. Right now, our main concerns are Mawile and Baton Pass.
Mawile isn't inherently too strong or necessarily broken in the tier, but Intimidate paired with the strong Steel-typing, Swords Dance, access to Baton Pass, it has a lot of role compression and can be hard to deal with for many teams. The main problem with Mawile is its ability to Baton Pass Swords Dance boosts to almost any teammate pretty reliably, such as Kingler, Furret, or Arbok. The problem with maybe banning Mawile is how many Pokemon it keeps in check, which could potentially unleash a huge offensive wave into the tier if it left. We'll be considering this over the next few months of play, as looking into Baton Pass could help us solve the issues with Mawile.
Baton Pass has pretty much always had some sort of issue with balancing it. For us right now, we have several potential options we've been considering ranging from different limitations than the current ones, or limiting it to only Dry Pass. We don't really want to ban Baton Pass outright, but it could eventually be a possibility.

IN THE FUTURE
  • If you have any opinions on the issues listed above, please make your own post or send me a message on Discord and I'll pass it along to the rest of the team to help us decide what to do about them.
  • We're working on getting some updated sample teams, just a little bit longer!
  • If you like writing on-site analyses and are interested in ADV PU, keep an eye out for ADV PU analyses which should be coming soon! Once we form a QC team, more info will come out about this moving forward.
  • ADV PU TOURNAMENT 4?

:ss/gigalith: SWSH PU Resources:ss/ribombee:

Notably Different Mechanics from Gen 7
  • Defog removes Terrains
  • Teleport has negative priority, and switches out the user
  • Z-Moves, Mega Evolutions and some Pokemon from previous gens up to 7 do not exist
  • Not all Pokemon have access to Toxic, and Hidden Power is unavailable
  • Frustration, Hidden Power, Return and Pursuit are not usable
  • Rapid Spin is 50 BP and increases Speed by 1 stage
Banlist

Entry Hazard Setters
Stealth Rock:
:gigalith: :mesprit: :uxie: :regirock: :druddigon: :piloswine: :aggron: :palossand: :coalossal: :claydol: :archeops: :kabutops: :stunfisk-galar: :ferroseed: :carbink: :carracosta: :clefairy: :miltank: :rhydon: :runerigus: :Sandaconda: :stunfisk: :lycanroc: :sandslash: :aurorus: :dugtrio-alola:
Spikes:
:coalossal: :froslass: :accelgor: :ferroseed: :qwilfish: :sandslash::garbodor: :pincurchin:
Toxic Spikes:
:weezing: :accelgor: :qwilfish: :runerigus: :garbodor: :cofagrigus: :pincurchin:
Sticky Web:
:galvantula: :ribombee: :vikavolt:

Entry Hazard Removal/Deterrents
Defog:
:silvally: :charizard: :rotom: :rotom-frost: :articuno: :whimsicott: :golbat: :gurdurr: :ribombee: :shiftry: :archeops: :skuntank::cryogonal: :comfey: :altaria: :lurantis:
Rapid Spin:
:coalossal: :claydol: :kabutops: :hitmonlee: :turtonator: :sandslash::cryogonal::mr. rime::eldegoss:
Magic Bounce:
:hattrem:
Defiant/Contrary/Competitive:
:malamar: :articuno-galar::Lurantis:
Spinblockers:
:jellicent: :rotom: :Palossand: :silvally:(Ghost) :froslass: :sableye: :runerigus: :trevenant: :gourgeist:

Defensive Checks
Electric Immunities:
:lanturn: :claydol: :palossand: :piloswine: :togedemaru: :stunfisk-galar: :rhydon: :runerigus: :Sandaconda: :stunfisk::dugtrio-alola: :quagsire: :sandslash:
Fire-type Checks:
:gigalith: :regirock: :coalossal: :lanturn: :jellicent: :centiskorch: :basculin: :druddigon: :silvally:(Dragon, Water) :qwilfish: :carbink: :carracosta: :miltank: :turtonator: :wishiwashi-school: :lycanroc::dugtrio-alola: :quagsire:
Water-type Checks:
:druddigon: :exeggutor: :flapple: :galvantula: :jellicent: :lanturn: :magneton: :rotom: :rotom-frost: :silvally: (Dragon, Water) :thwackey: :togedemaru: :vikavolt: :whimsicott: :ferroseed: :jynx: :Ludicolo: :gourgeist:(Small):lilligant: :poliwrath: :quagsire: :pyukumuku::cryogonal::mr. rime::vanilluxe::lurantis::tangela::eldegoss:
Grass-type Checks:
:archeops: :articuno: :Centiskorch: :charizard: :coalossal: :druddigon: :flapple: :galvantula: :golbat: :magmortar: :magneton: :noctowl: :ribombee: :rotom-frost: :scyther: :silvally:(Dragon, Poison) :sneasel: :togedemaru: :vikavolt: :weezing: :togedemaru: :froslass: :tangela: :accelgor: :frosmoth: :haunter: :jynx: :perrserker: :skuntank: :turtonator: :sandslash-alola: :aurorus: :articuno-galar::cryogonal::mr. rime::vanilluxe::ninjask: :glastrier: :garbodor:
Normal-type Checks:
:aggron: :coalossal: :gallade: :gigalith: :gurdurr: :hitmonlee: :jellicent: :kabutops: :palossand: :regirock: :rotom: :scrafty: :sawk: :silvally:(Ghost) :ferroseed: :carracosta: :rhydon: :runerigus: :trevenant: :lycanroc: :carbink: :cofagrigus:
Fighting-type Checks:
:archeops: :aromatisse: :alcremie: :articuno: :centiskorch: :charizard: :claydol: :exeggutor: :gallade: :golbat: :jellicent: :mesprit: :noctowl: :palossand: :ribombee: :rotom: :scyther: :silvally:(Fairy, Ghost, Poison) :uxie: :vikavolt: :whimsicott: :weezing: :tangela: :qwilfish: :sableye: :runerigus: :trevenant: :quagsire: :articuno-galar::cofagrigus::sandaconda::tangela::ninjask: :glastrier: :garbodor: :comfey: :hattrem:
Psychic-type Checks:
:absol: :centiskorch: :claydol: :galvantula: :jellicent: :magneton: :malamar: :palossand: :ribombee: :rotom: :scrafty: :scyther: :shiftry: :silvally:(Dark, Ghost) :sneasel: :vikavolt: :froslass: :perrserker: :skuntank: :gourgeist: (Small) :aggron::persian-alola::ninjask:
Flying-type Checks:
:aggron: :archeops: :Articuno: :Coalossal: :Galvantula: :Kabutops: :Lanturn: :Magneton: :Piloswine: :Regirock: :Rotom: :Rotom-Frost: :Sneasel: :togedemaru: :stunfisk-galar: :froslass: :carracosta: :rhydon: :stunfisk: :lycanroc::cryogonal::carbink::gigalith: :glastrier:
Ice-type Checks:
:Aggron: :Archeops: :Articuno: :Centiskorch: :Coalossal: :Gallade: :Gigalith: :Gurdurr: :Hitmonlee: :Hitmontop: :Jellicent: :Kabutops: :Lanturn: :Magmortar: :Magneton: :Piloswine: :Scrafty: :togedemaru: :miltank: :perrserker: :throh: :lycanroc: :poliwrath: :cryogonal::mr. rime::arctovish::glastrier:
Ghost-type Checks:
:Malamar: :Noctowl: :Scrafty: :Sneasel: :kangaskhan: :cinccino: :miltank: :skuntank: :silvally:(Dark) :persian-alola: :audino:

Setup Users
Swords Dance:
:Absol: :Gallade: :Kabutops: :Scyther: :Shiftry: :Silvally: :Sneasel: :qwilfish: :rhydon: :lycanroc: :sandslash::glastrier: :ninjask:
Nasty Plot:
:Aromatisse: :Mesprit: :Noctowl: :Rotom: :Rotom-Frost: :Shiftry: :Uxie: :Cofagrigus: :jynx: :noctowl: :skuntank: :swoobat::mr. rime::thievul::gourgeist::persian-alola:
Quiver Dance:
:Ribombee: :frosmoth: :lilligant:
Calm Mind:
:Aromatisse: :alcremie: :Mesprit: :Uxie: :swoobat: :articuno-galar::cofagrigus::aurorus::carbink::Exeggutor::musharna::orbeetle::clefairy::comfey:
Bulk Up:
:Gurdurr: :Hitmonlee: :Scrafty: :Gallade: :throh: :poliwrath::sawk:
Iron Defense / Acid Armor:
:regirock: :claydol: :alcremie: :carbink: :Cofagrigus: :runerigus::aggron::appletun::coalossal::orbeetle::glastrier:
Shell Smash:
:carracosta: :turtonator::crustle:
Other:
:Centiskorch: :sandaconda: (Coil) :Charizard: :Flapple::Scrafty: (Dragon Dance) :noctowl::aggron: :aurorus: (Agility/Rock Polish/Autotomize) :Hitmonlee: (Unburden) :Kabutops::vanilluxe::cursola: (Weak Armor) :Magmortar::Silvally::gourgeist::charizard: (Flame Charge) :Malamar: (Contrary) :Silvally: (Work Up) :runerigus: (Amnesia) :quagsire: (Curse) :Charizard::Poliwrath: (Belly Drum)

Wallbreakers
Physical:
:flapple: :absol: :centiskorch: :aggron: :archeops: :gallade: :sawk: :sneasel: :druddigon: :basculin: :Silvally: :Hitmonlee: :kangaskhan: :carracosta: :cinccino: :perrserker: :rhydon: :trevenant: :throh: :lycanroc: :gourgeist: :poliwrath: :sandslash::marowak::arctovish::glastrier:
Special:
:Charizard: :Exeggutor: :Magmortar: :Magneton: :Noctowl: :Vikavolt: :Cofagrigus: :haunter: :jynx: :Ludicolo: :turtonator: :aurorus: :articuno-galar::mr. rime::vanilluxe:
Mixed:
:Shiftry: :Silvally: :carracosta: :poliwrath: :lurantis:

Revenge Killers
Choice Scarf:
:rotom: :kabutops: :magneton: :Mesprit: :ditto: :togedemaru: :jynx: :gourgeist:(Small) :haunter::dugtrio-alola::persian-alola::froslass:
Priority:
:sneasel: :absol: :piloswine: :kabutops: :basculin: :shiftry: :gallade: :hitmontop: :hitmonlee: :gurdurr: :thwackey: :carracosta: :lycanroc: :kangaskhan::whimsicott::poliwrath:
Naturally Fast:
:ribombee: :Whimsicott: :Sneasel: :Archeops: :Galvantula: :scyther: :froslass: :accelgor: :persian-alola: :cinccino: :lycanroc: :gourgeist: (Small) :dugtrio-alola: :kadabra::cryogonal:

Walls
Physical:
:palossand::regirock::jellicent::weezing::uxie::tangela::persian-alola::qwilfish::Cofagrigus::runerigus::Sandaconda::quagsire::pyukumuku::eldegoss::ferroseed::druddigon::wishiwashi::poliwrath::carbink::silvally::golbat::garbodor: :comfey: :hattrem:
Special:
:articuno::gigalith::lanturn::claydol::stunfisk-galar::audino::clefairy::miltank::wishiwashi-school::sandslash-alola::eldegoss::frosmoth::charizard::druddigon::cryogonal::jellicent::mr. rime::Carbink::togedemaru::altaria::silvally::golbat:
Mixed:
:aromatisse::coalossal::regirock::Golbat::silvally::ferroseed::kangaskhan::carbink::Sandaconda::stunfisk::throh::wishiwashi-school::pyukumuku::eldegoss::druddigon::jellicent::quagsire::altaria::glastrier:

Momentum
U-turn:
:mesprit: :uxie: :scyther: :archeops: :articuno: :flapple: :ribombee: :whimsicott: :silvally: :thwackey: :golbat: :togedemaru: :accelgor: :cinccino: :perrserker: :wishiwashi-school: :articuno-galar::frosmoth::ninjask: :comfey:
Volt Switch:
:rotom::rotom-frost::lanturn::magneton::vikavolt::galvantula::jolteon:
Parting Shot:
:silvally::persian-alola::morpeko::thievul:
Teleport:
:claydol::exeggutor::magneton::magmortar::gallade:
Flip Turn:
:kabutops::basculin::wishiwashi:

Phazing
Roar:
:aggron::scrafty::silvally: (Fairy)
Dragon Tail:
:druddigon:
Circle Throw:
:poliwrath::throh:

Clerics
Wish:
:aromatisse::togedemaru::kangaskhan::audino:
Healing Wish:
:mesprit::lilligant::clefairy::audino::musharna::mr. rime:
Heal Bell / Aromatherapy:
:aromatisse: :articuno: :lanturn: :uxie: :kangaskhan: :audino::altaria::clefairy::eldegoss::miltank::ribombee::jolteon::hattrem: :comfey:

Weather, Trick Room, and Terrain
Rain Setters:
:Uxie::Mesprit::Liepard::Accelgor::Ludicolo::Lanturn:
Rain Abusers:
:Kabutops::Qwilfish::Ludicolo::poliwrath::jolteon:
Sun Setters:
:Mesprit: :Uxie: :Whimsicott: :Liepard: :Carbink: :regirock::shiftry:
Sun Abusers:
:Charizard: :Exeggutor: :Shiftry: :Magmortar: :Leafeon:
Sand Setters:
:gigalith:
Sand Abusers:
:sandslash:
Hail Setters:
:aurorus: :abomasnow: :vanilluxe:
Trick Room Setters:
:Aromatisse::Jellicent::Mesprit::Uxie::Carbink::Cofagrigus::Audino::gourgeist:(Super):runerigus::trevenant::Exeggutor:
Trick Room Abusers:
:Aromatisse: :Cofagrigus: :perrserker: :wishiwashi-school: :gourgeist:(Super) :aggron: :rhydon: :cursola: :Exeggutor: :trevenant: :octillery: :jellicent: :vikavolt::glastrier:
Terrain Setters:
:Thwackey: :pincurchin:
Terrain Abusers:
:Hitmonlee: :alcremie: :swoobat: :articuno-galar: :uxie: :mesprit: :galvantula::comfey:

click on the sprites for imports

Sableye Spikes Balance by xavgb

CB Trev + VoltTurn by Shaneghoul
:trevenant::vikavolt::gigalith::sandslash::ribombee::mareanie:

Work Up Silvally-Steel Bulky Offense by Shaneghoul
:silvally::gourgeist::archeops::sandslash::charizard::ribombee:

Sand Bulky Offense by Lady Writer

Meteor Beam Offense by Excal
:aurorus::qwilfish::archeops::doublade::comfey::thwackey:

Grassy Terrain Hyper Offense by Vulpix03

Format:
Stat / Pokémon / Base / Nature / EVs / Boost

:ribombee: 400+ Speed :ribombee:
854 / Accelgor / 145 / +Spe / 252 / +2
778 / Accelgor / 145 / Neutral / 252 / +2
762 / Ribombee / 124 / +Spe / 252 / +2
718 / Swoobat / 114 / +Spe / 252 / +2
690 / Ninjask / 160 / +Spe / 252 / +1
634 / Silvally / 95 / +Spe / 252 / +2
623 / Ninjask / 160 / Neutral / 252 / +1
612 / Thievul / 90 / +Spe / 252 / +2
600 / Hitmonlee / 87 / +Spe / 252 / +2
590 / Qwilfish / 85 / +Spe / 252 / +2
571 / Ribombee / 124 / +Spe / 252 / +1
568 / Drifblim, Kabutops / 80 / +Spe / 252 / +2
564 / Vanilluxe / 79 / +Spe / 252 / +2
558 / Thievul / 90 / Neutral / 252 / +2
546 / Hitmonlee / 87 / Neutral / 252 / +2
525 / Dugtrio-A / 110 / +Spe / 252 / +1
524 / Ludicolo, Noctowl, Poliwrath / 70 / +Spe / 252 / +2
518 / Drifblim, Kabutops, Shiftry / 80 / Neutral / 252 / +2
514 / Vanilluxe / 79 / Neutral / 252 / +2
508 / Cryogonal, Manectric, Scyther / 105 / +Spe / 252 / +1
502 / Frosmoth, Sandslash-K / 65 / +Spe / 252 / +2
492 / Mr. Mime-Galar / 100 / +Spe / 252 / +1
489 / Gourgeist-Small / 99 / +Spe / 252 / +1
486 / Basculin / 98 / +Spe / 252 / +1
483 / Morpeko / 97 / +Spe / 252 / +1
480 / Togedemaru / 96 / +Spe / 252 / +1
478 / Ludicolo / 70 / Neutral / 252 / +2
475 / Articuno-Galar, Haunter, Jynx, Silvally, Uxie / 95 / +Spe / 252 / +1
472 / Aurorus, Scrafty / 58 / +Spe / 252 / +2
463 / Rotom / 91 / +Spe / 252 / +1
460 / Ninjask / 160 / +Spe / 252 / 0
458 / Sandslash-K / 65 / Neutral / 252 / +2
450 / Hitmonlee / 87 / +Spe / +1
442 / Sawk / 85 / +Spe / 252 / +1
436 / Aggron / 50 / +Spe / 252 / +2
430 / Aurorus, Scrafty / 58 / Neutral / 252 / +2
427 / Accelgor / 145 / +Spe / 252 / 0
426 / Kabutops, Mesprit, Shiftry / 80 / +Spe / 252 / +1
423 / Vanilluxe / 79 / +Spe / 252 / +1
419 / Ninjask / 160 / Neutral / 252 / 0
406 / Vikavolt / 43 / +Spe / 252 / +2

:charizard: 300-400 Speed :charizard:
398 / Aggron / 50 / Neutral / 252 / +2
397 / Sandaconda / 71 / +Spe / 252 / +1
394 / Jolteon / 130 / +Spe / 252 / 0
393 / Flapple, Magneton, Poliwrath / 70 / +Spe / 252 / +1
392 / Rhydon / 40 / +Spe / 252 / +2
389 / Accelgor / 145 / Neutral / 252 / 0
381 / Ribombee / 124 / +Spe / 252 / 0
376 / Turtonator / 36 / +Spe / 252 / +2
376 / Frosmoth, Sandslash-K / 65 / +Spe / 252 / +1
375 / Boltund / 121 / +Spe / 252 / 0
372 / Dugtrio-K / 120 / +Spe / 252 / 0
370 / Vikavolt / 43 / Neutral / 252 / +2
364 / Whimsicott / 116 / +Spe / 252 / 0
361 / Cinccino, Persian-A, Sneasel / 115 / +Spe / 252 / 0
359 / Swoobat / 114 / +Spe / 252 / 0
358 / Carracosta / 32 / +Spe / 252 / +2
358 / Rhydon / 40 / Neutral / 252 / +2
355 / Lycanroc / 112 / +Spe / 252 / 0
354 / Scrafty / 58 / +Spe / 252 / +1
353 / Flapple / 70 / 252 / Neutral / +1
350 / Archeops, Dugtrio-A, Froslass, Raichu / 110 / +Spe / 252 / 0
346 / Galvantula / 108 / +Spe / 252 / 0
342 / Liepard / 106 / +Spe / 252 / 0
339 / Cryogonal, Manectric, Rapidash, Rapidash-G, Scyther / 105 / +Spe / 252 / 0
328 / Charizard, Miltank / 100 / +Spe / 252 / 0
326 / Carracosta / 32 / Neutral / 252 / +2
326 / Gourgeist-Small / 99 / +Spe / 252 / 0
324 / Basculin / 98 / +Spe / 252 / 0
322 / Morpeko / 97 / +Spe / 252 / 0
320 / Togedemaru / 96 / +Spe / 252 / 0
317 / Articuno-Galar, Haunter, Jynx, Leafeon, Silvally, Uxie / 95 / +Spe / 252 / 0
309 / Rotom / 91 / +Spe / 252 / 0
306 / Golbat, Kangaskhan, Orbeetle, Thievul / 90 / +Spe / 252 / 0

:jellicent: 200-300 Speed :jellicent:
300 / Hitmonlee / 87 / +Spe / 252 / 0
298 / Rotom-Frost / 86 / +Spe / 252 / 0
295 / Basculin / 98 / Neutral / 252 / 0
295 / Articuno, Qwilfish, Sawk / 85 / +Spe / 252 / 0
293 / Skuntank / 84 / +Spe / 252 / 0
291 / Magmortar / 83 / +Spe / 252 / 0
284 / Drifblim, Gallade, Kabutops, Mesprit, Shiftry, Thwackey / 80 / +Spe / 252 / 0
282 / Vanilluxe / 79 / +Spe / 252 / 0
279 / Kangaskhan, Orbeetle, Thievul / 90 / Neutral / 252 / 0
273 / Absol, Garbodor / 75 / +Spe / 252 / 0
273 / Hitmonlee / 87 / Neutral / 252 / 0
267 / Skuntank / 84 / Neutral / 252 / 0
265 / Magmortar / 83 / Neutral / 252 / 0
265 / Sandaconda / 71 / +Spe / 252 / 0
262 / Flapple, Ludicolo, Magneton, Noctowl, Poliwrath / 70 / +Spe / 252 / 0
259 / Drifblim, Gallade, Kabutops, Mesprit, Shiftry, Thwackey / 80 / Neutral / 252 / 0
257 / Vanilluxe / 79 / Neutral / 252 / 0
256 / Lanturn / 67 / +Spe / 252 / 0
251 / Centiskorch, Frosmoth, Sandslash-K / 65 / +Spe / 252 / 0
249 / Alcremie / 64 / +Spe / 252 / 0
249 / Absol, Garbodor / 75 / Neutral / 252 / 0
241 / Sandaconda / 71 / Neutral / 252 / 0
240 / Jellicent / 60 / +Spe / 252 / 0
239 / Flapple, Ludicolo, Magneton, Noctowl, Poliwrath / 70 / Neutral / 252 / 0
236 / Aurorus, Scrafty / 58 / +Spe / 252 / 0
236 / Comfey, Miltank, Regigigas / 100 / Neutral / 0 / 0
233 / Lanturn / 67 / Neutral / 252 / 0
232 / Trevenant / 56 / +Spe / 252 / 0
229 / Exeggutor / 55 / +Spe / 252 / 0
229 / Centiskorch, Frosmoth, Sandslash-A, Sandslash-K / 65 / Neutral / 252 / 0
228 / Togedemaru / 96 / Neutral / 0 / 0
227 / Alcremie / 64 / Neutral / 252 / 0
226 / Leafeon, Silvally, Uxie / 95 / Neutral / 0 / 0
219 / Jellicent / 60 / Neutral / 252 / 0
218 / Aggron, Perrserker / 50 / +Spe / 252 / 0
216 / Golbat, Kangaskhan, Klinklang, Lilligant, Orbeetle / 90 / Neutral / 0 / 0
215 / Aurorus, Scrafty / 58 / Neutral / 252 / 0
214 / Druddigon / 48 / +Spe / 252 / 0
212 / Dubwool / 88 / Neutral / 0 / 0
211 / Trevenant / 56 / Neutral / 252 / 0
209 / Exeggutor / 55 / Neutral / 252 / 0
206 / Articuno, Qwilfish / 85 / Neutral / 0 / 0
204 / Gourgeist, Skuntank / 84 / Neutral / 0 / 0
203 / Vikavolt / 43 / +Spe / 252 / 0
202 / Magmortar / 83 / Neutral / 0 / 0

:aggron: 100-200 Speed :aggron:
199 / Aggron, Carbink, Perrserker, Regice, Regirock / 50 / Neutral / 252 / 0
196 / Altaria, Gallade, Mesprit / 80 / Neutral / 0 / 0
195 / Druddigon / 48 / Neutral / 252 / 0
189 / Throh / 45 / Neutral / 252 / 0
188 / Turtonator / 36 / +Spe / 252 / 0
186 / Claydol, Garbodor / 75 / Neutral / 0 / 0
185 / Vikavolt / 43 / Neutral / 252 / 0
182 / Malamar / 73 / Neutral / 0 / 0
179 / Carracosta / 32 / +Spe / 252 / 0
179 / Rhydon / 40 / Neutral / 252 / 0
178 / Sandaconda / 71 / Neutral / 0 / 0
176 / Lunatone, Luxray, Magneton, Mr. Rime, Noctowl, Politoed, Poliwrath, Solrock / 70 / Neutral / 0 / 0
174 / Glastrier / 30 / +Spe / 252 / 0
170 / Lanturn / 67 / Neutral / 0 / 0
166 / Flareon, Roselia, Sandslash-K / 65 / Neutral / 0 / 0
164 / Alcremie / 64 / Neutral / 0 / 0
163 / Carracosta / 32 / Neutral / 252 / 0
159 / Glastrier / 30 / Neutral / 252 / 0
158 / Poliwrath / 70 / -Spe / 0 / 0
156 / Abomasnow, Eldegoss, Jellicent, Lapras, Tangela, Weezing / 60 / Neutral / 0 / 0
154 / Type: Null / 59 / Neutral / 0 / 0
152 / Aurorus, Scrafty / 58 / Neutral / 0 / 0
148 / Trevenant / 56 / Neutral / 0 / 0
146 / Bouffalant, Exeggutor / 55 / Neutral / 0 / 0
144 / Gourgeist-XL / 54 / Neutral / 0 / 0
136 / Aggron, Audino, Carbink, Piloswine, Regirock, Sableye / 50 / Neutral / 0 / 0
134 / Hattrem / 49 / Neutral / 0 / 0
132 / Druddigon / 48 / Neutral / 0 / 0
126 / Lurantis, Throh / 45 / Neutral / 0 / 0
122 / Cradily, Vikavolt / 43 / Neutral / 0 / 0
116 / Gurdurr, Rhydon, Wishiwashi / 40 / Neutral / 0 / 0
108 / Turtonator / 36 / Neutral / 0 / 0
106 / Clefairy, Palossand, Quagsire, Spiritomb / 35 / Neutral / 0 / 0
100 / Carracosta, Stunfisk, Stunfisk-G / 32 / Neutral / 0 / 0

:gigalith: 0-100 Speed :gigalith:
96 / Coalossal, Cofagrigus, Glastrier, Runerigus, Wishiwashi-School / 30 / Neutral / 0 / 0
95 / Quagsire, Spiritomb / 35 / -Spe / 0 / 0
94 / Audino, Carbink / 50 / -Spe / 0 / 0 IVs
94 / Aromatisse / 29 / Neutral / 0 / 0
86 / Gigalith / 25 / Neutral / 0 / 0
66 / Pincurchin / 15 / Neutral / 0 / 0
58 / Cofagrigus, Glastrier, Runerigus / 30 / -Spe / 0 / 0 / 0 IVs
22 / Ferroseed / 10 / -Spe / 0 / 0 / 0 IVs

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
Hello everyone, I have come to collect opinions on BW PU. I have been sitting on a ton of opinions of my own for this tier, but while its still fresh on everyone's minds I wanted to collect everyone else's. So here is the new feedback survey, and it is only a feedback survey do not worry.

Click here to start the BW PU Survey!

I plan on fully updating the resources as soon as PL season wraps up, and not just the shadow updates I have been doing. So if you have any teams you want as a sample then send it my way! So long as it is easy to use and looks like a PU team I am not picky.

SergioRules

||blimp||
PUPL has concluded, and with it a lot of high level OldGens games were played. As this was ADV's first year included in the tour, I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has been involved with developing the tier and helping me get it to where it is today. I truly couldn't have done it without you all. I'm making this post because even though the tier has come a long way, we still have plenty of room for improvement. I have a short list of things that I want to accomplish over the next few weeks/months regarding the tier and today begins the first of those.
  1. Tiering Discussion: Now that PUPL has concluded, we have decided on a couple of things that we feel need to be discussed more before we take tiering action on them. We could have made potential bans and had votes on them but decided that we would like a little more community input before making decisions. The main two ticket items are;
    • Baton Pass: BP has been talked about before, and even now is limited to one user per team and limiting users to not be able to pass Speed with another stat. However, this is still a very dominant move and many teams function based on Pokemon like SD Mawile or Tail Glow Volbeat passing their boosts to stronger, faster Pokemon as cleaners that can potentially end games easily which can be very difficult for many teams to prepare for. There are ways around this such as aggressive switching and fast speed control like TWave Minun, but in the right setting these Baton Passers can devastate a team. However, the move also has some good merits, being the only switching move in the generation makes it extremely effective on pivots like Minun and Togetic, which while they are able to pass boosts, don't always have to. We are asking for more community feedback to decide what action to take. Is Baton Pass balanced? Is it outright broken? Is it just that a couple of the users are unbalanced and need a closer look?
    • Swalot: While not inherently broken at a glance, Swalot does provide some pretty hard teambuilding pressure. Not only does it have some pretty immense bulk for the tier with 100/83/83, but it also has an extremely wide array of coverage moves and set variability that it can use to pick apart potential threats. Switch in a Ground-type like Marshtomp or Vibrava and you might get OHKO'd by a Giga Drain/HP Grass or Ice Beam. Send in your Mawile expecting the Sludge Bomb and you might get 2HKO'd by Fire Punch. Defensive Duskull even gets 2HKO'd by CB Shadow Ball. Not to mention Explosion's ability to completely wipe out something that doesn't KO it first (which is likely since it is so bulky) makes Swalot a big threat to many teams. So what do we do with it? Is Swalot banworthy or does it just need some more time to settle in the meta? How do you deal with Swalot both in games and in the builder?
  2. Viability Rankings Update: Once we handle the matters above and decide whether or not tiering action needs to be taken, we'll be reassessing the VR. Obviously, the tiering action could greatly shake things up in the tier so we'll be taking our time when reworking the rankings.
  3. Analysis Writing: Once we have taken care of any necessary tiering action and redone the VR accordingly, we'll finally open up analyses for reservation. This will take place in the Past Generations PU Analyses of the C&C subforum and will only be mini-analyses at this point. While the VR may chance slightly, the overall standings will still likely be similar at least, so if you're interested in writing, start thinking about some ideas!
  4. New Art: A rather minor note, but I'm planning on getting some new art for the tier! While HotFuzzBall's design is great and has held up for a very long time, the tier has changed a lot and the art should reflect that (Mightyena and Dragonair aren't nearly as dominant as they once were and when was the last time someone used Beedrill?)
Hopefully these changes will improve the tier a bit and get us set up for success in the next big tour ADV is involved in, whether that ends up being PUWC or the next installment of the ADV PU TOURNAMENT. I've always been very proud of this community and can't wait to see PU Old Gens improve in the future.
Tagging Medeia Lunala Bouff Jisoo SuperEpicAmpharos Lily MrSoup LBN as people who played a lot of ADV during PUPL I'd love your feedback on the tiering discussion!

LpZ

capy
is a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Hi everyone, your favorite BW PU poster here again after a really fun season, and damn I have a LOT in mind to post you bet your life on that, first of all I wanna thank everyone on Mags and Mountaineers for the fun I had, these 2 teams are amongst my best experiences in teamtour I`ve ever had. I wanna give some special s/os to Akir ManOfMany Baloor Dj Breloominati♬ Drud justdrew SBPC Togkey Fakee for being fun people to be around and also for helping me with ideas and tests throughout the season, s/o SBPC Jisoo pdt Drud for trusting me to drive the bw pu slot on your teams. Most special s/o goes to Tack for being one of my best friends on smogon and for being a bw pu partner for about 2 years now.
That being said, this time I wanna talk about all my games and teams I built and used during PUPL and BWPL, talking about the thought-process and what happened in the game, but I wanna be as briefer as I can to not make this post waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

CLICK THE IMAGES FOR IMPORTABLES.

PUPL

1694449870228.png
Replay

PUPL did not start too well for me, initially my opp would be Staxi but he got subbed out for Alkione, I didn`t have enough time to be as creative as I went later on so we stuck with what looked good, lack of normal resists on not aggro enough builds on Staxis scout seemed so Stoutland was a good idea, coupled with the lack of flying mons and the overreliance on Monf to deal with Scraggy so I also went with that, rest of the team just filled out what the team would need. Unfortunately tho, the matchup was not that sweet for me, and to make matters even worse I got pretty unlucky early in the game, my Monferno got frozen in a switch into Rampardos` Ice Beam and I was forced to Blitz to AT LEAST guarantee I would kill something with Stoutland, few turns later my Jumpluff got crit when switching to Monfernos CC, the game was over by then, I absolutely needed both mons to win that game and then my team just crumbled, Alkione went on with a good run afterwards so props to them.

1694450319520.png
Replay

This point onwards you can expect me to bring a lot of heat shit, week 2 I built a ton of fun teams and discussed them with my team as well as testinng all of them, at least 40 test games were played that week to test them, specs Whiscash aka We stealing whoscash was the first team put in practice, the game was not that good as both sides got lucky breaks but Whiscash actually did something even in a very eh mu for it. I shouldn`t have led with Cash or at least I should`ve switched out on t1 cuz Maractus switch was obvious and I couldn`t OHKO it with Ice Beam without rocks, anyways another very potent mon on that mu was my Vileplume which had Sludge, Leech Seed and Worry Seed, being a huge pain in the ass for my opp. Whiscash eventually got Stunfisk on the right turn to weaken it enough for Monferno to pick it off, unfortunately Static proc`d but its common occurence, Monf even stood up to pick another kill as my opp followed up going Zebstrika. The climax of the game started when my Plume got crit by Maractus, at that point Plume would`ve won the game as it is normally fine vs Maractus and I could spam Leech on the remaining of the mons and Worry Seed on Zweilous to cripple it for good, but then I got rewarded for Zweilous` inconsistency + a well-timed crit, ending the game right there.

1694451044746.png
Replay

GOD BEAR IN, seriously this is one of the teams I`m most proud of, well-rounded team with a beast of a mon in Ursaring. Flame or Toxic Orb sets are in the past, BU Bear is DEFINITIVELY the best Bear set, the team stomped on pretty much every test game I played, its basically Bear + rocks and monf check + cleric and tspikes absorber + broken mon and Scraggy check + Monf + Swanna and psychics check and we got the recipee of success, I will talk more about Bear in another post. The same success I had with Bear in tests I also had in the game, I simply went Bear on my opps passive mon and I started setting up non-stop and eventually winning the game single-handedly.

1694451374605.png
Replay

This time I wanted to use Simisear to abuse tendencies on my opps scout and I was between Scraggy and Duosion for that slot but testgames made Scraggy feel better so I just went with it, using something crazy unusual is hard vs Feaniix cuz he is also experienced enough to play around possibilities so I opted to go for a more straightforward build but with a Flying Gem Brave Bird on Swanna to nail stuff like Tentacool to open Simisear opportunities. For my surprise I faced a bulky ass Whiscash which checked my Simisear pretty well so it didn't do a whole lot, however my Vileplume went big by abusing Solrocks lack of Wisp (seriously guys wispless solrock is not it) which led me to get a kill on it and thanks to Occa Berry I could also kill Rapidash, leaving him with 0 ways to outspeed AND hurt Swanna, so what happened was, Swanna could sub on a lot of stuff and even when Klang clicked volt there was nothing he could go to pressure it, so Swanna won the moment Rapidash went down.

1694465781994.png
Replay

This one is actually a big builder blunder, the idea of the team is pretty good and the team overall is really fun, for those not aware Bibarel is quite a solid lead for offense in matchups which you are also expecting to face offense, and the game shows it pretty well as I completely neutralized my opps Rampardos, the big problem is: what is my sd monferno check? If the opposing monferno clicks sd its basically over as the game shows pretty well. That Huntail should never be a Huntail, Swanna fits better on that slot or at least Golduck. This loss is totally on me for not realizing that.

1694466233432.png
Replay

This one is an idea I wanted to put in practice long ago, I've never seen anyone use this Dragonair set before and I knew about its potential, I just wasn't sure on what type of team it should be, I tested with different styles and the best results were coming from this, in a stall. Despite the result of the game the team is really good, what happened in the game is, my matchup was atrocious :skull: , Fire Fang Mawile was already something I would not like to face, and when you add Knock Off Abra and SD Thunder Punch Monferno, you get what I think it is an impossible matchup. Still I def recommend the team for anyone wanting to experiment Dnair.

1694482908935.png
Replay

At this point my team had already clinched poffs and Tacks team was already out, so we decided to play early and I wanted to go with a fun pick, firstly I decided about elec spam with Pikachu but the team had too many holes and stuff to be exploited so I just went with this, ngl this Pikachu could very well be a Zebra and it would end up being better but then what is the fun of that? Anyways the game was just a bunch of stuff hitting hard on both sides, and the game ended up in a Mach Punch Monf tie, Pikachu didnt do shit but the game was fun anyways.

1694483505690.png
Replay

I was supposed to play Alkione for semis but he got subbed out for BFM, a good friend of mine. The plan here was simple, solid team with sufficient backbone, pivots and a strong wallbreaker in Stoutland, however in this type of structure you usually think the Bronzor is Resttalk and Stunfisk is rocks, this time I went the other way around putting rocks on Zor and Resttalk Stunfisk, Alkiones teams usually rely on gradual progress on opposing Fisk in order for the rest of the team to break, so if the Fisk has some type of recovery it becomes much harder, and we got Aroma Plume to help further with that. And I did not regret the decision at all, Fisk kept half of my opps team hostage just by virtue of existing, while Bronzor also became a big annoyance and a key Pursuit on the opposing Swanna closed it all out to decide the semis for my team.

I did not need to play finals so goodbyeee.

BWPL

1694483862509.png
Replay

As I said above when I played him, Feanix is a hard player to prep simply for the fact that its hard to imagine a way to catch him offguard due to tier experience and he himself could catch me with something, I opted to go with a solid thing with Sub Marowak and a bunch of other good mons. The game was kinda awkward tho, I was not comfortable with facing the Swanna he brought and it would be asleep due to having to check it with Bronzor, which is kinda not ideal. I had a cleric but after dodging a Crunch with Beheeyem I went Plume and instead I got crit so its kinda fair ig, I lost my Swanna to Zweilous due to the inconsistency of Swanna I fucking hate Hurricane with all my cells but what won him the game was the surprise factor on Raichu, after seeing that his whole team was not a reliable speed control, after seeing his Monferno was CB and not scarf and the fastest mon on his team would be 328 speed I started considering his Raichu would be scarf somehow, and then after clicking Recover on Monfs U-turn I got encored by Raichu which ended the game on the spot.

1694484381655.png
Replay

This team is really fun, I also knew about Leafeon`s potential and in theory the mon has a big amount of value, in fact I think this mon is pretty underrated, the idea of the team is to abuse the lack of Bronzor and Klangs abundance on my opps scout so Leafeon with Subs would have plenty of opportunities to set up and naturally having a good mu into him with the huge amount of Maractus and Klang as his grass resists, and that is exactly what happened, Leafeon worked really well as it got Monferno with Gem-boosted Return and then cleaned late-game, admittedly I bs`d past Zweilous with Duosion but that talks about Zweilous` inconsistency too.

1694484762571.png
Replay

I didn`t really know what to bring this time cuz I haven`t seen Shane play bw outside of the former 2 weeks he had played, so there was no tendency or enough info to abuse, so I went with a boring ass looking team and just tried to play better, if anything the Plume set is unusual but I already talked about it (Sludge, Leech, Worry Seed, Moonlight). The game is pretty regular, I got to weaken Tenta and Beheeyem enough to force a kill with my Monf, got a real good Static proc on his Monf and I went from there, idt theres much to say here.

1694485085336.png
Replay

This time I had to face the undefeated Drud and I could draw a pattern on his teams with the passive Steels taking the good portion of opposing special hits, so my idea was to abuse that with a versatile special attacker with access to Subs and a setup move, I decided between this and a SubCM Golduck team and both did a good job at abusing these steels to start snowballing but I went with this since its cooler. Team is straightforward tho, backbone etc etc, spinner and tspikes would actually help Mime a lot to do what I wanted and the the rest of the team offered what I needed to cover. Mime worked absolutely overtime and it did so much for me this game, forcing a sack on his Beheeyem when I revealed to be NP and then when I went for another opportunity to set up I revealed subs to try and 1v1 his Bronzor, which is not a guarantee I could do it but I had good odds, and so I did, killing Bronzor in the process and as I stay behind a sub still I could also kill Monf.

1694485679125.png
Replay

This was something, this is far from the best thing I built but it might be the best BW PU game I've ever played but lets do it in parts. At the builder I REALLY wanted to use Vullaby cuz this mon is so good like seriously try it out you won't regret, but this time I didn't exactly succeed on finding the perfect backbone for it, having an annoying mu vs one of the most common mon in the tier Zebstrika, it is annoying but not unbeatable. Talking about the game I don't usually gas myself too much for winning or something but this time I played so well, I got EVERY single turn right with Vullaby like I was reading the future or the stars or something, from the moment I led with it to the turn it died, and not ending there as I hit a huge double to Monf on my opp going Bronzor which prob was the reason I won the game. I'm REALLY proud on how I played this game and this is def one of my overall best games.

I didn't play semis cuz my team already won it before my game so we move to finals.

1694486159450.png
Replay

This is one of my most funs builds I pulled off during the season, there is a lot of fun stuff going on here. The concept of the team is the dual Magic Guard and 2 durable ones at that, Clefairy is another real decent mon with a LOT of great options and honestly its an underexplored mon but I'll talk about it in another post, I got that Occa Berry Tort as always (its hard to not run Occa ngl), the broken Swanna and Scarf Coil Arbok, which can surprise a LOT and pull off a totally unexpected sweep, the build felt solid into someone with a huge spikes usage and overall it looked good. I felt really prepared for that game but unfortunately it seems like it wasn't my day, I got VERY unlucky on that game. My Duosion got instantly crit by Monf then after some maneuvering I could position my Tort in order to take a CC + a Blitz thanks to Occa and then my Tort gets burned by Blitz putting me in a very disadvantageous start, after some doubling I could get my Swanna in on very key moments to pick up kills on Gabite and Monf and I tried with everything I could to not lose to DD Whiscash when my Tort was gone, I actually did a good job at that but after Tenta revealed to be Toxic which I haven't seen like forever ago I didn't have enough for his last mon Scraggy, this was a very sad loss and one that felt bad unlike any other recent loss.

1694487324135.png
Replay

I got slotted in for finals tiebreaker (we do not talk about what happened in the tiebreaker), and this time I wanted to pull the cash out of the pocket, so I decided to go with DD Ice Gem Ice Beam Whiscash, with rocks and a layer of Spikes I could pick off most Tort variants, Shiftry and a 50% to kill Maractus, so I wanted to try that for the surprise factor, alongside Scarf Stoutland that can help outoffensing with the help of Spikes. The idea was not bad the problem is, this is one of the very few teams I'm running with no grounded poison so I had to hope I didn't face Tenta, and well... it appeared and I started getting hopeless for both reasons of having to deal with Tspikes AND not having a spinblocker so I didn't have a reliable way to keep my hazards on the field, which could prob be fixed with some tweaking on the team ig, anyways I got a bad mu in which I didn't play well enough and that was it.

Extra teams while we are at it:

https://pokepast.es/792893e790107ea6
https://pokepast.es/7b5eb0706c86cab1
https://pokepast.es/6c95ee7c6b413caa
https://pokepast.es/b03bbcf6a6cac7b5
https://pokepast.es/44969d1dee3a11bd
https://pokepast.es/4f8e396a033c2333
https://pokepast.es/ec59650e87b24469
https://pokepast.es/e361674565c09721
https://pokepast.es/24902610999945fb

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the teams and all that good stuff, I'm planning on doing many posts in fact I might start another post right after this one so you can expect more from me here. I also invite all the PUPL and BWPL that played the tier to tell how was their season and their opinion on the tier.

LpZ

capy
is a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Hi once again, I wanna talk about how I see the BW meta rn and before my determination to write long shit runs out I'm here shortly after posting the above one so here I am again, I'm gonna show how I would classify the mons in a tierlist and go over them, some didn't change much since last time I did this but there are some new and very fresh takes for sure.

my-image (10).png

S:

:monferno: (A+ to S) - This mon should come back to S and idt people would disagree much with me, last PUWC I thought it should be A+ cuz of the problems it was facing with all the Stunfisk spam, but imo this problem is gone and people adapted to Fisk greatly with stuff like the surge of cleric usage and styles where you use your Monf to break for other mon like Mawile, Zebra or Arbok or the other way around. Its also too good to not use it 80% of times, massively improves your mu into Shiftry, Mawile, Scraggy, Bronzor, Zebra, etc cuz of how potent its STAB moves are paired with U-turn with room for flexibility with other moves like Slack Off and SD (i don't rate TPunch too high anymore). I think this is a very safe nom for S ofc.

A+:

:zebstrika: - This mon came back to the spotlight after a brief period of awkwardness and underexploration in late 2021/early 2022 and since then it stayed as it is, pretty annoying mon to face everytime cuz, even tho it does lack some power to pose an enormous threat, it generally clicks Volt Switch on the entire tier and the only mons that won`t take too much from its coverage are Stunfisk and Whiscash while all the other grounds should be aware of it. Also imo it has a huge value on the recent downfall of scarfers in general (I`m gonna post about it too) making it an extremely reliable speed control so imo this season just proved it be even better than it was.
:stunfisk: - The most reliable rocker and ground in the tier by a long shot now, this mon eases building a LOT providing one of the best ways to deal with top mons Monferno and Zebra while also checking stuff like Arbok, Mawile, Jumpluff, Rapidash and Dodrio. It has a solid mu into Tentacool and Natu and overall has great utility spreading para with Discharge and Static and Toxic some stuff. Not much has changed for it, it remains great while the competition for the other grounds turns to be stiffer.
:swanna: - I'm gonna make a post about Swanna specifically.

A:

:torterra: (A+ to A) - Torterra for me is a mon that has fallen off imo, the way the meta became more offensive and how Bronzor completely invalidates it annoys it so much, don't get me wrong it is great still and it has merits over grounds like Stunfisk and it does stuff outside of Zor matchups but the popularity of Bronzor makes it riskier to bring Tort and Stunfisk makes building much easier when you slot it over Tort, Tort makes so you have to find your way through not being weak to Monf and Zebra mainly, usually ending up with a team slower than you would like which is somewhat annoyed by offense in general. I almost kept it in A+ but I really feel like this time the A+ should only be those 3 mons.
:shiftry: - Nothing much changed for it really, still a staple on offense with SD and the Specs set is really good and hard to switch into. I think people should explore more its mixed set (Leaf Storm, Dark Pulse, Sucker, Nature Power) which is great and I created a SubSD set that heavily abuses the passive steels but most importantly Bronzor. Simply a great mon still.
:vileplume: (A- to A) - I love this mon and imo this became one of the premier utility mons in the whole tier, great utility movepool paired with great bulk and being a grounded poison is such a valuable package that I really started to appreciate and use a lot. You have a ton of flexibility between its solid STAB moves, Aromatherapy, Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Worry Seed, SD with Seed bomb and Drain Punch. Leech Seed Plume is so good and the only downside of using it is that you're forced to run Chlorophyl and ngl I'm fine with that. Occa Berry is really good on it too so you can nail Monferno and Zebstrika with much more ease. I absolutely love this mon and I recommend it a lot.
:tentacool: - Didn't change much, absorbs tspikes while you throw ones of your own punishing the poisonless teams you face while also spinning. Altho spinning is kinda tricky in this tier it is the only viable mon to do that so its value remains, only change is how it is running some coverage like Sludge Bomb or HP Elec to not be complete fodder for Swanna which otherwise would be a death sentence.
:bronzor: (A- to A) - The main cause of how the tier is shifting rn, its defensive typing paired with Levitate is just crazy and a bit stupid for the tier too, what prevents it to be an A+ mon and what would prob lock it to A rank maximum imo is its movepool, which is not good. It has rocks but other than that your ways to create progress are Toxic and Psywave, Psywave is extremely unreliable due to its accuracy being 80% so it is really exploitable in that sense but just the fact this mon exists and how bulky it is makes that many offensive mons drop in viability as they can't break through it while not having too many opportunities to do so, this mon is the cause of Beheeyem, Gabite and Dodrio becoming worse.
:stoutland: - Another mon that didn't suffer too many changes as of lately, yes it is a mon that struggles breaking through Bronzor but it is actually not as bad facing it as it could've been, firstly it does have access to Fire Fang which can catch Bronzor pretty nicely but even outside of that Stoutland has some solid opportunities to come in and start clicking, doing around 20% with CB Adamant Return each time, if you force it to sleep it can actually break through it with the help of bw sleep mechanics, yes they could have a cleric but as good as it sounds if you play aggro enough it is hard to find a turn to wake Zor up, yes you could say Dodrio could do the same but the fact that Dodrio is much less bulky and takes 25 from rocks makes it much trickier and undesirable for it. Another thing going for Stoutland is that it can run scarf pretty decently imo.
:duosion: - This mon is threatening as hell and honestly a very limited pool of mons can RELIABLY take on it namely Scraggy and Zweilous, one has been not as common as it used to be and the other is inconsistent and having to sometimes deal w Duo through Sleep Talk makes the interaction a bit awkward. This mon is a very solid alternative to Beheeyem as it lacks in immediate threat assets and the capacity of running Leftovers but it is immune to hazards and status so it can basically abuse some Beheeyem checks like Klang and Bronzor and instead of suffering against them it basically eats them. This mon is actually close to being broken if it was just a little bit bulkier, but this mon can get broken through so it is just a great mon.
:scraggy: - The mon imo has only been getting worse every since it reached its peak in usage during 2021 (i think), people are more prepared for it and the offense overload really makes Scraggy a victim, however the mon can still do good stuff vs many people that wanna rely on the frail plan to let Monferno solely take on it, Swanna is amazing but I feel its not used enough to make Scraggy even worse, Jumpluff is the most reliable Scraggy check but it also doesn't see that big of an usage, SD Tort is not as good as it used be so you can still find many good matchups for Scraggy, this was hard for me to rank as we all know what it is capable of and how careful you gotta be by letting its checks get weakened but it is almost an A- mon for me.
:beheeyem: (A+ to A) - Honestly I don't think its a much superior option than Duosion anymore, I see both as alternatives of each other, Duosion is the one that abuses passive stuff while Beheeyem has the immediate threat of NP and Analytic or maybe a Specs or TR set (i dont like those too much). This mon got quite a bit worse by the prevalence of Bronzor which Duosion abuses a LOT while also not liking how offensive the meta is as it gets a bit overwhelmed.
:jumpluff: - This mon is still good and a bit slept on recently somehow? It is a great pivot with valuable utility in Encore and Aromatherapy and it just got better imo with how scarfers are much less common now making its speed a very nice thing to have.

A- Rank:

:golduck: - Not much has changed other than a lower usage this season, I do think it is underexplored too as this mon has a lot of possible solid sets between scarf, subcm, RD, cm gem 3a, variations with aoa like mystic water, ebelt, lo or even specs. The thing making it hard to use it sometimes is that Swanna exists, Swanna is better overall and you don't wanna override the typing, but I still trust its value and effectiveness.
:arbok: - Not much has changed for it, its the go-to tspikes absorber for offense and altho it does not like Bronzor its a mon that started seeing usage in an era when Bronzor was already starting to pop off and it can adapt itself to take on Bronzor with Fire Fang or even choiced sets can click Switcheroo on it which is pretty big.
:marowak: - Idk what to say about it, still the same threatening mon its been for months, impossible to switch into well and it likes how Torterra is slowly disappearing and it has sufficient coverage for everything, same strenghts and same weaknesses.
:ursaring: (from B to A-) - Time for a banger, the Bulk Up set is incredible. We knew about its other sets like orb Guts or Quick Feet but I still don't find them too appealing rn as Quick Feet is still easy to wear down since its not strong enough to dismantle walls and priority is everywhere and it still can't outspeed Zebra so it has a hard time taking more than a kill, while the orb Guts set makes it way too slow for a wallbreaker while still being worn down too quickly. Bulk Up is the sauce cuz it remains threatening when unboosted so frail stuff cannot really switch into you and the stuff that can easily take your unboosted hits like Stunfisk, Bronzor and Klang are all setup fodder for Bulk Up, its not easy to break through Ursaring too since with HP and SpDef invest it becomes really fat in the special department while it gets the defense boosts from BU. Its not THAT great into offense but it can abuse any little exploitable passivity to be a big threat, everytime I tested it it did well and when I brought it to a tour game it single-handedly ate so no reason for me to not rank it around here.
:mawile: - Nothing changed for it really, it is a flexible SD mon that can choose to either break through Bronzor with Fire Punch or Stunfisk with Ice Punch depending on what it feels more necessary. The rocks defensive set sucks a lot rn tho.
:purugly: - Annoyed by Bronzors presence and Static procs from Fisk but it appreciates the absense of scarfers making its anti-offense assets more desirable, its a trade of environmental elements so it doesn't get that mad about the tier's state rn imo.
:simisear: - This mon is really really threatening and we know it, only mons that really force it to predict to create quick progress are Tentacool, Frillish and Zweilous. It has a good speed tier enjoying the lack of scarfers again with a stupid potential to break everything but the opportunity cost of using it is a bit heavy unfortunately because of Monferno. You CAN run both in the same team but never perfectly since it will be really hard to build around them and not leave huge exploits, otherwise you don't wanna overlap the fire monkes and Monferno is just too good to not use it.
:maractus: (A to A-) - Idk i feel like the tier is less Spikes-heavy than it used to be around PUWC but it keeps being a good spiker abusing the grounds to take opportunity and set them up. I'm not too sure on this drop but the descentralization of spikes builds is notable.
:klang: (A to A-) - This mon feels bad to use ngl, I think its also a direct swap with Bronzor for a reason, its easier to abuse Klang as a steel passive mon and I almost even dropped it to B+ but its usage honestly suggests I shouldn't do that since its decently used still. Beheeyem has been less used so far and its Toxic has been getting less value with the surge in clerics. It still is one of the best Swanna checks available if you have a fast mon that ohkos it afterwards after volting on its sub. Overall it got a lot worse imo.
:zweilous: (B+ to A-) - This will sound like bias cuz I use this mon so much but it is the sturdiest special glue in the whole tier. It CAN check Beheeyem, Duosion, Zebra, Swanna, Golduck, Simisear and some others, the reason I say "can" is cuz the mon is the definition of inconsistency due to its nature of having to deal with stuff while asleep often and Hustle. Hustle makes it so inconsistent that I started running Roar over DTail (s/o Akir ) on it cuz it is so frustrating to end up on a miss chain of Stalks pulling DTail and you desperately need to deal with what it in front of you. The type is a given and its bulk is great so it has insane defensive value and when it doesn't miss and get good stalk pulls it feels like an A+ mon but inconsistency imo leaves it to A- and not B+ (too low).

B+ Rank (gonna try to be briefer here onwards):

:mr. mime: - It is close to being great as it has a decent speed tier and power with a variety of sets (Specs, Scarf, NP 3a, SubNP, Screens, CM Barrier BPass) but it has close to 0 defensive value while being very prone to priority, very good mon still and a bit slept on but still not in the level of the A- mons.
:rampardos: - Did not change, I'm just not the biggest fan of it still, it is so slow to be an effective wallbreaker and the rock typing is a curse both offensively and defensively. As a lead as it is often used it is ok ig, Tentacool can't really counterlead it as it can do with Dwebble since it just dies to eq but it usually sets rocks up and dies so like, nothing special but its good at setting rocks up.
:swoobat: (A- to B+) - This mon has just been in a free fall lately as its usage is like 0 this year and its purposes are just overshadowed but other mon simply being better, there is value on being this fast in a tier with less scarfers and psychic + heat wave altho not perfect is still not a bad combo in a tier with prevalent Bronzor, but it being a psychic that threatens Scraggy does little to help it as Scraggy is not nearly as common as it was when Bat started popping off, its not strong enough to act on the limited turns (due to rocks) you have and it still dislike the priority roaming around not named Mach Punch.
:audino: (A- to B+) - I think this drop reflects how bulkier structures seem to be considerably worse rn altho Audino is a staple on stall and it helps some balanced structures with its wishpassing and cleric assets, but nowadays its kinda hard to tell what exactly Audino checks since its annoyed by status and having to burn Heal Bell PP and the typing and passivity, which are easily exploited in an offensive meta. It is still great at what it does but what it does is not valuable enough to be in the As imo.
:fraxure: - This mon has been crazy rare too but honestly I think it has an unique value of being great at screwing Bronzor with SD/DD + Taunt so your teammates can keep the show going (stuff like Torterra, psychics, normals and anything that appreciate Bronzor low enough or gone), it just wont sweep thats fs but the value of opening teammates to wreak havoc is really nice.
:dwebble: (A- to B+) - People just learned to play against it ig and I don't consider it much better than Rampardos, it does guarantee rocks cuz of Sturdy but Tenta can counterlead it while its not hard to limit it to 1 hazard with the ever-present Mach Monferno. Still a good lead but its like in par with Rampardos imo.
:vullaby: (B to B+) - Now hear me out, this mon is so fucking good rn, the only absolute dogshit mu for it is Klang + Zebra but even this theme can be abused. This mon does require good maneuvering and solid hazard control but my lord it does work, it can cripple stuff with Toxic with such ease and Taunt any passive thing you face, mainly Bronzor. It is also absurdly fat even avoiding CB Stoutlands Return 2hko from full and the typing is really good against psychics, Torterra and Gabite, it also means Scraggy or Duosion sets up on it cuz of its typing, Taunt and Brave Bird being annoyances for them. It is the least passive passive mon you could ask for and it does have some nice compression. It could easily still be B cuz of the support required but this mon does wonders quite often.
:gabite: (A to B+) - Kind of a hot take but I do think Gabite sucks rn, offensive sets absolutely despise Bronzor, scarf is not that strong being even checked by some neutral stuff like the fat psychics, Vileplume and Frillish and being vulnerable to priority still, CB is a bit better since it does hit considerably strong but Bronzor invalidates it way too hard. Problem with its rocks Eviolite set is that prepping for Zebra becomes much more of a problem while you have no longevity at all, blocking Zebras Volt like Fisk does is amazing and Gabite comes in with a 4x weakness to HP Ice while being a bit passive and making building around it hard.
:frillish: (A- to B+) - This one is trickier to explain but it really just hates the offensive environment its in, hates coming in on basically anything cuz Monferno U-turns on it stacking hazard damage and everything else can be annoying to it hitting hard like Zebra, Swanna and Plume and can status it making its life downright miserable. Also its Wisp is less impactful with cleric being not so uncommon anymore in the tier. Kinda in the fence for the drop but it just feels below the level of every A- mon.

B Rank:

:muk: - This mon suffers with being anything but a splashable mon and having to compete with Arbok as an offensive poison and Vileplume and Tentacool as grounded poison which both offers much more utility, but Muk is a good compression of special glue that can annoy stuff for its teammates with its coverage options, bulk and Poison Touch. Curse 3a is still its best set imo and it can go a long way when poisoning Stunfisk and using Bronzor to set up while being overall annoying to switch into.
:machoke: - I still think it is B and honestly a bit underrated. It has the sad fate of having to run Resttalk but being good check to many physical stuff is really nice and it can decently check the likes of Monferno, SD Shiftry, Mawile, Scraggy and Gabite. It is not that passive either so I can see it having cases outside of stall, confusion is REALLY annoying this gen and it makes good use of it with Dynamic Punch making it a bit annoying to switch into. Hard to fit outside of stall altho being a staple there and it is a non-Monferno fighting but its underrated rn imo.
:kingler: - This mon is still strong as hell and scary, it hates the offense mus ofc but outside of offense this mon is extremely strong and getting turns vs slow mons or stuff like Monferno often means a kill if you don't face Frillish or Vileplume (which forces 50/50s).
:huntail: (B+ to B) - This mon is similar to Kingler in the sense that it does not like facing offense as finding opportunities to set up is hard and even when it does, its not freely and it will eventually be put into a priority move range. Against bulkier teams it still feels good as finding opportunities is not as hard but there are defensive picks that can easily eat a +2 hit and retaliate with something so sweep scenarios become kinda rare for it.
:leafeon: (B- to B) - I didn't even remember this mon being ranked B- I thought it was lower but ok, this mon feels really good and EXTREMELY underrated. The speed stat and attack makes this thing scary and on top of that it has great phys bulk, its SD Normal Gem set is great whether ur running Subs for safe setup vs Klang and Stunfisk or Synthesis for just overall longevity and even allowing you to check stuff like Scraggy and Torterra pretty well. It has some other options with Wish Heal Bell Knock Off being tools but so far the SD set is the one standing out and it is really good.
:simisage: - Really nothing different for it. Still doesn't like Bronzor, it has great speed and can be annoying to take hits from it without a Bronzor or Klang as Acro usually covers other grass resists. Hard to find space for it on teams, competes as a mixed attacker with Shiftry and thats it.
:glalie: - Its great at guaranteeing a layer of spikes as a lead but thats about it. Biggest problem with it even for offense is that you want rocks up too and you likely wanna waste 2 turns on 2 different mons clicking hazards in a type of team that can't take hits well while you do that, altho rocks Marowak is p good paired with it cuz it has enough bulk to live an attack and up while being extremely threatening for other mons being more passive around it. Not much to say that its just not higher cuz you want more than a layer of spike in offense that CAN be detrimental if you start wasting too many turns just for hazards in offense.
:rapidash: - Still the same tbf. Hates Stunfisk being here, prediction reliant at some extent and has the same longevity as a fly. Also has the issue of being a non-Monferno fire and that offers MUCH less utility than the monke. Hits hard enough to not be lower than that tho.
:dodrio: (A- to B) - Dodrio is dogass rn. It hates the 2 most used defensive pieces around in Stunfisk and Bronzor and you can pair it with the longevity issues it always had. Unlike Stoutland which is also a normal wallbreaker that has a hard time getting past Bronzor (not Stunfisk tho) it takes 25% from rocks AND the move it wanna click the most that was supposed to be a "nuke" has recoil so given how common Fisk and Zor are it is so rare to imagine Dodrio claming lives as it used to do, hence the big drop.

B- Rank:

:clefairy: (UR to B-) - This mon has crazy potential and I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it until recently. This mon is THE utility mon, you can EV it as you like whether it being physdef, spdef, mixed on some benchmarks, you can run Knock, Heal Bell, Toxic, TWave, HWish, Rocks but the big thing on it is Encore. It has a very respectable bulk being better by the low Knock usage around, altho it can be a bit passive it can annoy switch-ins with TWave and Toxic and most importantly Encore is a big help vs stuff trying to abuse your passivity to set up on like Scraggy, Duosion, Huntail, Shiftry and many more stuff. Its biggest downside is the typing ofc so you are reliant on your bulk which is good but not impressive to check stuff but lacking resistances at all.
:abra: - I'd drop this mon even further if it were not by Evis idea of running Knock Off on it. Knock Off makes it a bit disruptor for offense teams as it lures in stuff like Klang, Bronzor, Scraggy and Zweilous and opens up breaking potential for its team as the other mons don't wanna take STAB Psychics from a 105 SpAtk mon while the other psychics hate taking Signal Beams, so for me that's what saves it from gimmicky territory.
:victreebel: (B to B-) - Sun is terrible rn, it competes with many other grasses and poison-types, it can't break past steels altho it does have Knock but it is not enough imo. Its viability was linked with sun and I feel like Victreebel is the only good sun abuser but sun as a style is really bad rn so this drop reflects it.
:articuno: - This mon is so close to being good for me. Imo we need to forget about that SubsRoar old ass set we used to run on stall and look at its OFFENSIVE potential. It is even stronger than Swanna having the same access to Hurricane and a very strong Ice Beam to complement, surprisingly this mon forces a LOT of switches so it becomes very good at taking it into advantage to sub on stuff, and unlike Swanna it is really fat. Steels are ok into this as they resist both STABs but they are not excellent vs it. Klang's Volt does not break Cunos sub and Bronzor struggles in the 1v1 cuz of Pressure toasting up its PP real quick and Cuno can opt to fish for freezes or confusion in the meantime. HOWEVER the amount of support this mon demands is big, too big for comfort actually, you are running Articuno but it doesn't mean you have it for defensive purposes so the rest of the team still has to accomodate in the same department, on top of Tenta being mandatory cuz it can't work without a spinner. Even with Tenta the hazard game becomes worrying cuz Tenta does not like having to focus on spin for big amount of times so it becomes really uncomfortable having to keep rocks off just to not play a 5v6. I beg players to start trying this out and perhaps making it rise but I at least couldn't make it work as well as I wished and as much as I would like to nom it for B I don't feel I can just now.
:sneasel: - Another mon that is kinda close to going to B. This mon can exert a big amount of pressure on Monferno as many teams only got that as reliable switch-in. Btw I only rate Beat Up sets whether its CB or SD Gem but thats by far the best way to make it work imo. Still has very few opportunities to come in and do its thing while having to play around and respect the Beat Up mechanics so its not that easy.
:pelipper: - Agility Gem Pelipper is fun and actually pretty threatening, that is the one thing going for it over Swanna but it does it well enough. Bulky sets are not terrible but easy to be taken advantage mainly when you factor the rocks weakness and overall Swanna existing makes it life too hard. Mon is not bad just very outclassed.
:whiscash: (UR to B-) - This mon is legit good and I can see it rising even further in the future and its cool to see that I'm not the only person that tried it out this season. It is another ground that blocks Zebras attempts to Volt very well while being a versatile mon overall. You can run it with Specs, different DD variations with either Subs or Ice Beam to snipe the grasses (mainly the frailer ones or the ones taking 4x like Tort and Pluff) and you can also run a bulky set with some sort of SubTox. This mon accomodates some stuff on builder as being an offensive ground that doesn't fall to Zebra and adds quite a bit on teams while being unpredictable on preview. This mon is VERY promising.
:banette: - It still has some interesting niches with bulkier sets with Wisp and CB running priority, pursuit and Trick, being a good spinblocker on offense while still providing offensive utility. Not much to say about it other than it had some minor development but not enough to warrant a rise or anything.
:natu: (B+ to B-) - Natu is terrible rn, this mon is a big fish as the majority of the teams are running rocks on their Stunfisks which threaten Natu. It also lacks significant defensive utility as its not that clear what it checks reliably other than like Torterra and it eventually having to let Fisk get rocks up is a death sentence for it as its defensive profile was not significant enough becomes inexistent, just run Tentacruel and play well atp if you want removal.
:krokorok: (B to B-) - This mon is really bad and its been bad for a while now. Being a ground with no defensive purpose at all, a Dark that dies to any coverage the psychics throws at you, talking about psychics they become a bit less common making its only purpose of trapping a psychic becomes less important. Too weak when running a Scarf and too slow for a wallbreaker when running Band, ah it also hates Bronzor. Almost feels like it should be C but I'll take it lightly.

C Rank:

:dragonair: - This mon is real nice and i big contender to rise real soon imo. Offensive DD is a known set and it is still ok ig but the recent bulky DD DTail Resttalk set is so good with spikes combining all both typing, good bulk mainly when asleep with Marvel Scale and the dd boosts working when asleep as dtail being pulled from stalk bypasses the negative priority. This set is the more promising one and it deserves to be explored more under different circumstances, til further exploration I'll leave this here.
:meganium: - Its still a mon with cool things but never gets used, the more detrimental part for it is having to compete with Vileplume in almost every role, both can be fat clerics while both can also run SD sets. Plume has the poison-type which is very useful at absorbing tspikes and putting it into a great spot in the meta while Meganium lacks this asset. However Meganium has dtail and eq, both of which can carve a niche for it in fat and sd sets, the lack of poison-type can be used to its favor and resist ground while its not weak to psychic so theres that. Idk if its just lack of exploration but Plume existing is really tough for it.
:chinchou: - It burns stuff with Scald and its the hardest Swanna counter you can possibly run in the whole tier, hardwalls Zebra too, but relying on stalk blows for it and its physdef is subpar.
:slaking: (UR to C) - This mon is just powerful, on the right team giving turns is not too worrying and Protect is not really common. Fire Punch is a good development for it to not leave it hopeless vs Bronzor and its a very effective Pursuiter as it forces quite a lot of switches due to its power. I think C is good enough for it as its not really proven in competitive play unfort.
:grumpig: - Its access to Heal Bell is the biggest component for its niche in PU, I've utilized both bulky utility sets with TWave and Heal Bell and scarf sets again with Heal Bell in tests. It is a compression mon afterall but its ok at that.
:relicanth: (B- to C) - Slotting it into your team automatically makes your team bizarre cuz you dont check many stuff in the tier, rocks set is more suited to offense with Chople Berry to help with Monf, again rock is not a good type here offensively or defensively, Head Smash is not a spammable move and defensively it brings more downs than ups but its bulk helps quite a lot in doing something of value and its still something in rain (which is in a bad spot but existent).
:bibarel: (UR to C) - It only works as a lead really, it has the combination of rocks + Taunt and even Super Fang with the possibility of burning stuff with Scald. You would say that Glalie does that too and it is even faster but Glalie is a spiker and not a rocker, usually demanding a rocker elsewhere, Bibarel is a rocker that you would only want to throw bombs with the rest of the team later on, not saying its better than Glalie just explaining its niche. Offensive sets are terrible.
:luxray: (UR to C) - The Guts set is mid af but the Intimidate bulky set can actually be quite annoying for some teams, being a solid glue for more offensive teams while spreading Toxic on stuff mainly named Stunfisk. Idk if I have much to explain about it but it does its job well enough to be C imo.
:glaceon: - Nothing new, its a Vanilluxe alternative with less speed but Baton Pass which is kinda big cuz monoice is not a good type obviously not at least using it to pivot around to its teammates is pretty neat.
:vanilluxe: (B- to C) - Imo it and glaceon shouldn't be separated anymore cuz they are equally gimmicky. While Glaceon offers Baton Pass and more power Vanilluxe offers more speed, said speed is not high enough to be too much effective and they both have shallow movepool and hate Bronzor's prominence.

D Rank:

:pikachu: (UR to D) - Its only niche is being a pivot with strong prio, you prefer having Zebra 99% of the time but Extreme Speed and a strong one at that gives it a niche as its applicable enough vs offense and doesn't suffer to opposing prio as much as Zebra does.
:raichu: - It has a great movepool with Nasty Plot, Surf, Focus Blast and Encore but it is still too outclassed by Zebra for me to even start talking, Zebra's speed is just so relevant mainly now with scarfs becoming worse and worse so Raichu niche is not big enough to get it out of the D rank.
:persian: - Persian has fun applications with its sofisticated movepool, it is a solid weather setter with its speed and access to Taunt while also having a fun niche with Scarf Switcheroo, being the fastest mon to do that and being an annoyance for the fat stuff switching into you.
:staryu: (UR to D) - I can't explain much but it does something in PU and I've tested it before, if EV'd right it can eat some hits to spin and unlike Tenta it has Recover which is its niche over Tenta really, but it does work sometimes.
:murkrow: - It does something with access to Sucker and Pursuit and prankster TWave/Toxic but its too frail even with Eviolite to effectively do meaningful stuff, Vullaby ends up just being a better mon with its typing and the bulk can actually make good use of it.
:dustox: (UR to D) - PLEASE RANK IT PLEASE RANK IT PLEASE RANK IT.
:volbeat: (B- to D) - This mons only niche is being a weather setter and both weathers have been terrible lately, at least they still exist so it still leaves Volbeat with a niche of being arguably the best weather setter in the tier.
:munchlax: - Curse shenanigans with Resttalk and hope your opp don't bring a ghost. Good at spreading para with Body Slam and abusing passive stuff to set up on but altho it is fatter Ursaring does its job so much better with Bulk Up, Guts and a much higher Attack. Can prob run Whirlwind sets.
:togetic: - Very bulky mon that can slowpass Nasty Plot to its teammates but its typing is so bad defensively that makes it much harder than it looks.
:regigigas: (UR to D) - This dude has all the sauce in the world, its just an annoying mon with Subs Twave and Confuse Ray to fish for parafusion turns so it gets rid of Slow Start and it can start doing damage itself, best paired with Spikes but ngl its p hard to build with it. Really fun mon (not to face).
:lampent: - Still an unique ghost that hardwalls Monferno and has a good amount of versatility with Wisp, Calm Mind, Trick and Taunt alongside good STABs. Its only this low cuz of its stats, waaaay too slow and not too bulky for a mon with rocks weakness doesn't usually work.
:eelektrik: (UR to D) - Evi used it in PUPL to decent effectiveness and it is a solid disruptor with access to a bunch of utility moves in Knock Off, Super Fang, U-turn and clicking Toxic on some stuff if it wants, but being a decently bulky disruptor with Knock, U-turn and no weaknesses is def an interesting niche to find.
:solrock: (UR to D) - A rocker with ok bulk and wisp is very unique and can be annoying since Monferno doesn't wanna exactly come in on its wisps. Pretty solid Stoutland check that is not as passive as easy to be abused as Bronzor so it def has a niche.
:emolga: (B- to D) - This mon is bad, everything it wanna do Jumpluff does better and Motor Drive barely does anything for it as the main pivot running Volt outspeeds and OHKOs it. The only value I give to it is being ok at annoying the defensive shit with Taunt.
:mantine:(UR to D) - I also didn't know Mantine went straight to UR after Damp Rock's ban, but its been proven that rain can exist without Damp Rock and Mantine is an integral part of those rain teams so I think D is still fair for it.

Again, I encourage the other players to show their opinions on the meta and what deserves more or less recognition. Thanks for reading another whole BW PU essay.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)