Resource SQSA Natdex Other Tiers Edition

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers to avoid clogging up the metagame threads with one-liners. Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Calyrex-Shadow banned???" or "Was Electric Terrain nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here.

What is the future expected interaction between Tera and Primals/Mega? Will it keep tradition and not mix? Or will there be exceptions this time?

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
What is the future expected interaction between Tera and Primals/Mega? Will it keep tradition and not mix? Or will there be exceptions this time?
They flat out don't work together. Your Mega Pokemon won't be able to Terestalize, and I'm assuming it would be the case for Primal Groudon and Kyogre as well.
Will gen 9 anything goes be renamed to almost anything goes?
Why would this be the case? Could you elaborate?

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Natdex AG implies that everything in the mainline games is possible, obviously dynamax is "banned" and AG is known for having no ban, calling it AG isn't correct AAG would be more accurate.
It would be more accurate, yes, but I don't think the AG leaders would go as far as to rename their format based off a small and inconsequential technical limitation. It will probably stay as is.

I have a genuine question, with the nerfs to Zacian-C, going based off the "Showdown" tiering, everything is showing up as "Uber", would it be perhaps better to forgo "AG" and bring in an actual "Nat Dex Uber" tier for a time? It would be nice to actually have a tier where it's not just complete chaos.

EDIT: I have never understood why"Nat Dex" is the one area that doesn't have an Ubers tier. Since the inception of AG back in Generation 6 we have always seen Ubers as a tier all in itself and I still feel like that holds true even if nothing is in AG at the moment. Its not the same as having the lawlessness of AG.

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
I have a genuine question, with the nerfs to Zacian-C, going based off the "Showdown" tiering, everything is showing up as "Uber", would it be perhaps better to forgo "AG" and bring in an actual "Nat Dex Uber" tier for a time? It would be nice to actually have a tier where it's not just complete chaos.

EDIT: I have never understood why"Nat Dex" is the one area that doesn't have an Ubers tier. Since the inception of AG back in Generation 6 we have always seen Ubers as a tier all in itself and I still feel like that holds true even if nothing is in AG at the moment. Its not the same as having the lawlessness of AG.
we dont have an ubers tier because there was no interest from anyone to lead or develop it, otherwise we'd love to host it on our forums

we dont have an ubers tier because there was no interest from anyone to lead or develop it, otherwise we'd love to host it on our forums
I would happily volunteer to aid in that, I have always been an avid Ubers player. Just would love to see some form of push to see if we could actually get one going.

Steorra

nya smells
Discord Leader
I will get on this ASAP. In regard to resources from the guidelines, what exactly would need to be developed for this at least at this point?
basically anything to help someone get introduced to the tier, sample teams and vrs come to mind as the important ones, if you have any other questions on specifics you're free to pm me or a member of the forum mod team, and hope to see it come to the light of day!

Prankster Assist works with revival blessing. Should that be fixed? The team can get basically infinite revives but with very limited attacking moves. I think a team with only imposters and prankster revival blessing would be very annoying to deal with.

Last edited:

Runo

Blehhhhhoooooouughhh.....
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Prankster Assist works with revival blessing. Should that be fixed? The team can get basically infinite revives but with very limited attacking moves. I think a team with only imposters and prankster revival blessing would be very annoying to deal with.
If you're referring to Balanced Hackmons (as you've attemped to post there twice but got your posts deleted), Revival Blessing has been banned from BH so the point is moot.

Quick question but why are Chien-Pao and Houndstone considered unviable in National Dex Ubers? I'm guessing for Houndstone its far too gimmicky to properly work (requires use of not great ATM Pokemon to function and even then is outsped in Sand by some top threats) and there's too many good Ghost resists/immunities like Arceus-Normal/Dark or Yveltal. Chien-Pao's case I'm wondering a bit more on though. Is it mainly Zacian-C and Primal Groudon holding it back?

Quick question but why are Chien-Pao and Houndstone considered unviable in National Dex Ubers? I'm guessing for Houndstone its far too gimmicky to properly work (requires use of not great ATM Pokemon to function and even then is outsped in Sand by some top threats) and there's too many good Ghost resists/immunities like Arceus-Normal/Dark or Yveltal. Chien-Pao's case I'm wondering a bit more on though. Is it mainly Zacian-C and Primal Groudon holding it back?
Pao doesn't hit has hard in Ubers as it does in Natdex OU. Its moves have low BP, thus needs to click SD to get the job done. However, Pao also doesn't have the bulk of setup sweepers or wallbreakers in Ubers. More importantly, unlike Weavile in Gen 8, Pao lacks the utility of Knock Off, so it can't prevent switch ins very easily. I am not sure if it should be unranked though, but I can see why its ranked the way it is now.

As for Houndstone, it doesn't have the stats to pull off its gimmick consistently, which is the only thing it does. You are sacrificing a team slot for a mon that doesn't contribute to teambuilding, and is very unreliable in its only role.

Hello, I've been working on a Nat Dex Middle Cup idea for a little bit after seeing one comment a while back from someone saying they'd be interested in a Nat Dex NFE. Well I didn't quite make that, but I did make this! I didn't go the NFE route mainly due to the sheer scale of a project like that, but also I like Middle Cup and I think it's a fun concept (also has a more manageable 118 mons). Most of the boring legwork is done now and I was looking for some help with balancing this mess, and also maybe some advice on future steps. My goal at the moment is to just have a complete resource document and a tier that is functional in theory. Not sure how much I should write here, I can go into more detail about my balancing concerns if necessary, but I'm more just seeing if there is anyone who is interested in helping me out at the moment.

I've attached the document I've been working on. if that isn't allowed i'm sorry, i'll delete

Attachments

Runo

Blehhhhhoooooouughhh.....
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hello, I've been working on a Nat Dex Middle Cup idea
What's the difference between this and NFE? It seems promising but it sounds way too similar to NFE to where you could just do that instead.

Also i'm pretty sure you can ask a natdex mod for permission if you want to get a forum thread here. (don't quote me on that tho)

What's the difference between this and NFE? It seems promising but it sounds way too similar to NFE to where you could just do that instead.
Mainly because Middle Cup is a much more managable project for me. Nat Dex Middle Cup has 118 legal pokemon while Nat Dex NFE would over triple that number I believe. Essentially, I just felt MC was a much more achieveable goal as I knew I wanted to make a speed tier and role compendium and such. Also on a personal note, I've always preferred the concept/flavor of Middle Cup over NFE, but that could just be me.

Also in an attempt to differentiate this tier from NFE gameplay-wise I banned Eviolite like previous iterations of MC and also I have left Tera legal for now. I'm hoping that these two changes + all the extra stuff from Nat Dex let this tier feel noticeably different in the team building phase from NFE.

Also i'm pretty sure you can ask a natdex mod for permission if you want to get a forum thread here. (don't quote me on that tho)
I will see if that's a possibility, thanks!

Last edited:
:pheromosa: Why is Pheromosa ranked B this gen when it's usually C-ranked or unranked.
:zekrom: How does Zekrom justify it's B-rank
:arceus: What is Arceus Rock's niche? Ho-oh + Yvel check?
:roaring-moon: What does he do?

Edit: Just noticed that quite a few Nat Dex sets have wrong EV spreads. This is a recurring trend for a lot of ND tiers but it's mainly Ubers with this issue.
1679836312144.png
feat bfc (big, flying chicken)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)