Sword & Shield OU Analysis Discussion

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Bulk Up Zera EVs are wrong it looks like it was copy/pasted from the regular set.

252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Speed < - What it says on Bulk Up.

Toxic should be slashed With Volt Switch on the regular set, prioritized even. Implying no CC where its replaceable with Toxic means you are walled by Kyurem/Heatran/Ferro and only Knock Off to combat against Garchomp which is awful it should never be slashed with something else. I dont even remember the last time I used Volt Switch over Toxic, even things like Taunt are better.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Bulk Up Zera EVs are wrong it looks like it was copy/pasted from the regular set.

252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Speed < - What it says on Bulk Up.

Toxic should be slashed With Volt Switch on the regular set, prioritized even. Implying no CC where its replaceable with Toxic means you are walled by Kyurem/Heatran/Ferro and only Knock Off to combat against Garchomp which is awful it should never be slashed with something else. I dont even remember the last time I used Volt Switch over Toxic, even things like Taunt are better.
We have been discussing this on Discord, and it is likely quite a few uploaded analyses are getting revamped soon, likely including this one.

Edit: Also submitted CMS correction of the Bulk Up EVs, thank you.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
View attachment 366434
This Magnezone set is unviable, Iron Defense with 252 speed timid makes no sense whatsoever. This set is giving incorrect knowledge to new players, who are actually using this.
this was a set that was discussed back in the day that has definitely come out of date now that bisharp has lost its luster, the qc team is planning on running through old stuff and ensuring that it’s up to par. thanks for the heads up

Blimax

https://www.youtube.com/c/Blimaxx
is a Top Tiering Contributor
this was a set that was discussed back in the day that has definitely come out of date now that bisharp has lost its luster, the qc team is planning on running through old stuff and ensuring that it’s up to par. thanks for the heads up
Noted with Thanks!

20210824_004235.jpg

Will we get a full analysis on weavile? currently there are two sets(CB and HDB) and no set description,team options,counters,checks etc.I am saying it rn because weavile has been having a surging amount of use in this meta right now.So a full set description will be pretty helpfull

SetsuSetsuna

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hi, I was just looking at some analysis/suggested sets and realized a lot of good sets in ladder are missing. Here are some of the ones I think would be good addition. For clarification, I am not a tournament player, so I have not say as to whether the following sets are good or not in high level play, but rather a reflection of the many many many games I played in ladder everyday:

1. Blacephalon: doesn't have an analysis, but the suggested moveset doesn't include choice scarf, even when blace is one of the best scarfers rn.
  2. Lando-T: No mention of the spdef set. Ofc Lando has a LOT of things it can run, adamant soft sand, mixed defensive, gravity, list goes on. But the spdef set is the one that definetely needs to be mention.
  3. Mew: The cosmic power + taunt set has become a huge threat in every part of the ladder. It's become even more popular than the body press set listed in the "suggested set". I have a lot of feelings towards this mon and this set in particular, and think that an analysis could help show some counterplay for the non-fat teams. Even more, this could help develope partners for this set, so we can hopefully see it more than just in ho.
  4. Regieleki: This thing needs an analysis ASAP. It's presence in spike stack teams has become more and more prevalent. Even outside of that, is fair to say that the dual screens set pales in comparision to the full on offensive sets that have been on the rise.
  5. Scizor: No mention of the spdef set which, even though it might be not be at it's best moment, is still fairly popular.
  6. Magnezone: I know this mon should be a headache to write for, since only the ID set can run like 20 different spreads and still do it's job. For one, I think it would be good to list other items that this set runs, such as chople berry or ebelt. Also, and in case you don't think is just the flavour of the month, a mention for the AV set would be good.
  7. Kyurem: There's no mention of the NMI set, and the DD one is just listed as "another option". I list this one all the way here cause kyu might get the boot soon, so this might not even matter.
Other less important/likely things to change: Mention of LO Melmetal for trick room teams. Mention of taunt tornt. Mention of CC/Vacuum wave as possible options for the Suicide Lead Mew set.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Hi, I was just looking at some analysis/suggested sets and realized a lot of good sets in ladder are missing. Here are some of the ones I think would be good addition. For clarification, I am not a tournament player, so I have not say as to whether the following sets are good or not in high level play, but rather a reflection of the many many many games I played in ladder everyday:

1. Blacephalon: doesn't have an analysis, but the suggested moveset doesn't include choice scarf, even when blace is one of the best scarfers rn.
  2. Lando-T: No mention of the spdef set. Ofc Lando has a LOT of things it can run, adamant soft sand, mixed defensive, gravity, list goes on. But the spdef set is the one that definetely needs to be mention.
  3. Mew: The cosmic power + taunt set has become a huge threat in every part of the ladder. It's become even more popular than the body press set listed in the "suggested set". I have a lot of feelings towards this mon and this set in particular, and think that an analysis could help show some counterplay for the non-fat teams. Even more, this could help develope partners for this set, so we can hopefully see it more than just in ho.
  4. Regieleki: This thing needs an analysis ASAP. It's presence in spike stack teams has become more and more prevalent. Even outside of that, is fair to say that the dual screens set pales in comparision to the full on offensive sets that have been on the rise.
  5. Scizor: No mention of the spdef set which, even though it might be not be at it's best moment, is still fairly popular.
  6. Magnezone: I know this mon should be a headache to write for, since only the ID set can run like 20 different spreads and still do it's job. For one, I think it would be good to list other items that this set runs, such as chople berry or ebelt. Also, and in case you don't think is just the flavour of the month, a mention for the AV set would be good.
  7. Kyurem: There's no mention of the NMI set, and the DD one is just listed as "another option". I list this one all the way here cause kyu might get the boot soon, so this might not even matter.
Other less important/likely things to change: Mention of LO Melmetal for trick room teams. Mention of taunt tornt. Mention of CC/Vacuum wave as possible options for the Suicide Lead Mew set.
These are all planned some way down the pipeline. Landorus-T, Tornadus-T and Scizor are both being worked on right now. I, or someone in QC, can potentially add some of the smaller things to the current analyses (changing the Mew samples to some more relevant sets, changing Eleki's sample set to a Boots one, and adding some extra items to Magnezone OO for example wouldn't be hard as an interim measure). Unfortunately OU has some issues with QCing analyses due to various factors I can't really explain here, and whilst I'm no longer in the QC team I believe they've shut it down while they work on a solution.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Things will be updated. Making an announcement post as we speak outlining the gameplan moving forward

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
There are several analyses on SmogDex that are missing notable sets or have outdated EV spreads.
Here are the ones I found:-
1. Celesteela: The Celesteela analysis contains no mention of the Autonomize Meteor Beam set, even though it is by far the most popular set.
2. Nihilego: Nihilego is lacking an analysis entirely. It has seen a fair amount of usage in tournaments and is ranked B+ on the VR. I believe it deserves one.
3. Kommo-o: It's analysis contains no mention of Clangorous Soul or Belly Drum sets. They are less reliable than the defensive set, but they at least should be mentioned in the list of other options.

Ageislash is a Pokémon I think that needs more love because it can do some much but kinda got buried because you know zacian just exists

There are several analyses on SmogDex that are missing notable sets or have outdated EV spreads.
1. Celesteela: The Celesteela analysis contains no mention of the Autonomize Meteor Beam set, even though it is by far the most popular set.
2. Nihilego: Nihilego is lacking an analysis entirely. It has seen a fair amount of usage in tournaments and is ranked B+ on the VR. I believe it deserves one.
3. Kommo-o: It's analysis contains no mention of Clangorous Soul or Belly Drum sets. They are less reliable than the defensive set, but they at least should be mentioned in the list of other options.
I agree that Nihelego deserves an anylisis since it is a great monotype mon who’s set could fit well in other tiers.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
People are saying Volcanion is OU are you going to make an analysis for him?
Ageislash is a Pokémon I think that needs more love because it can do some much but kinda got buried because you know zacian just exists
Just wanted to say that since Generation 8 seems to be coming to a close relatively soon, the SS OU C&C has definitely slowed down. It's all up to the C&C Moderators if they want to drop a new batch now or wait for Generation 8 to become an old gen to start finishing up the analysis work. The best course of action to take right now is probably to post updated sample sets, but we shall see what they do.

Anyways, from my knowledge, the Kommo-O analysis is a preview analysis from almost two years ago (a preview analysis is just a set and an overview of the Pokemon's niche). A Volcanion set is already uploaded on to Smogon, and for the reasons above, there will likely be a major wait before the C&C officially re-opens.

Also, an Aegislash analysis is already being produced. Zacian's existence does not affect any OU niches, I'll guarantee that.

Hope this helps! Even if I am not on the QC team.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Just wanted to say that since Generation 8 seems to be coming to a close relatively soon, the SS OU C&C has definitely slowed down. It's all up to the C&C Moderators if they want to drop a new batch now or wait for Generation 8 to become an old gen to start finishing up the analysis work. The best course of action to take right now is probably to post updated sample sets, but we shall see what they do.

Anyways, from my knowledge, the Kommo-O analysis is a preview analysis from almost two years ago (a preview analysis is just a set and an overview of the Pokemon's niche). A Volcanion set is already uploaded on to Smogon, and for the reasons above, there will likely be a major wait before the C&C officially re-opens.

Also, an Aegislash analysis is already being produced. Zacian's existence does not affect any OU niches, I'll guarantee that.

Hope this helps! Even if I am not on the QC team.
Alright. Thanks very much!

Hello, first time here. Just wanted to give a moveset for Electivire. It would be:
-Cross Chop
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Puch

Nature: Adamant
Items: Air Ballon
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd

It's just an idea, it can survive to a Landorus-T's Earthquake and OHKO after, even with the Intimidate

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello, first time here. Just wanted to give a moveset for Electivire. It would be:
-Cross Chop
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Puch

Nature: Adamant
Items: Air Ballon
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd

It's just an idea, it can survive to a Landorus-T's Earthquake and OHKO after, even with the Intimidate
Welcome! Unfortunately, Electivire is not considered viable in the SS OU metagame, as it generally faces major competition from other Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Appreciate the interest in C&C though!

Welcome! Unfortunately, Electivire is not considered viable in the SS OU metagame, as it generally faces major competition from other Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Appreciate the interest in C&C though!
Oh well, at least, I try. Just untiered for him is maybe too harsh. I think he can be NU or PU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)