Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Better suited for here, but nonetheless...

You can read about the discovery starting here (lasts for a few posts). Basically everything is fixed for the first egg (except PID, tho think this wouldn't change the inheritance) because the game overwrites the new seed with the original one every time it boots. The pokemon running in the daycare shouldn't advance the PID frame because they're running in a fixed path. The WNPCs on the route, however, definitely will. With a bit of work, it's technically abusable; however, I don't think the process is very well documented as most people just don't bother. It's been a long time since that post was made, so it's possible there's more/better resources out there now. But that's as much as I know.
Ok thanks

Just recently did 2 egg RNGs in BW2. Exhibit A & B. You might need the beta version of PokeFinder btw.
Here are the steps btw (to rephrase the one somebody at Discord sent to me):

Step 1: Put two Pokemon in daycare
Step 2: Run around until the daycare man calls you.
Step 3: Save inside the daycare.
Step 4: Find a seed you'd like to hit in Pokefinder.
Step 5: Hit your seed and verify by using either Chatots or save spinners (since PokeFinder doesn't have Chatot support yet for Gen 5, I have to switch to RNG Reporter from here)
Step 6: Go outside, reject the egg, bike around until you have a new egg.
Step 7: Nature, IVs, & ability (I think) is determined at this point, but not shiny-ness. So if you don't want shiny, receive egg now, it will be your egg.
Step 8: If you want a shiny, it is similar to BW1 Egg RNG, where you save next to guy, open menu as fast as you can to use chatots to verify you hit seed, then receive egg 1 frame before your target frame.

In my case however, for Step 8, I have to set the encounter type to "Gift Pokemon" in RNG Reporter to see which frame is/are shiny. My target was frame 126 which is a shiny frame, but I have to hit frame 119 to hit the target.
Interesting why 7 frames early?

Mod edit : Please do not double post. If you forgot to add something, please edit your previous post.

Hi,

I've been playing around with RNG in my Diamond and have been trying to freeze NPCs with the VS seeker.

I changed the time of my DS, and once the game loads used the VS seeker to freeze the NPC. However, when I continue coin flipping to confirm I hit my seed, the NPC moves again. I was able to hit my frame using chatots as my target frame was quite far.

How do I properly use the VS seeker? I'm sure I'm not doing it correctly!

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Been a while so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but according to here
When a Wandering NPC want a rematch due to the VS Seeker it becomes a Fixed NPC while circling around or a Stationary NPC after the rematch.
Neither scenario advances the frame since the fixed NPC moves in a fixed path. Based on that seems like you're ok.

Been a while so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but according to here

Neither scenario advances the frame since the fixed NPC moves in a fixed path. Based on that seems like you're ok.
I did not know that! Thanks, I've been putting off Wild RNG in routes with lots of NPCs as I assumed that they all advance the frame :P

Last edited:
Hello. :) It has been while since I did play Pokémon since I don't own Switch so I'm basically skipping whole Sword/Shield gen.

I just recently got back into Gen 3 games and I've heard that there is now a legit way to RNG abuse in Fire Red/Leaf Green. Does anyone have any good guide for such? I mainly want to make ingame pokémon for Battle Tower. :D

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I just recently got back into Gen 3 games and I've heard that there is now a legit way to RNG abuse in Fire Red/Leaf Green. Does anyone have any good guide for such? I mainly want to make ingame pokémon for Battle Tower. :D
I'm not up to date on it and idk how low you've been out of the loop, but the only guide compilations Ik of are here and here. Perhaps something in there would be of use.

Does anyone know where exactly to put the code.ips patch for XYORAS rng with CitraRNG? The github says I need to a patch for these games and links to a guide here but I can't seem to figure out the exact folder name and/or the location.

Edit: figured it out!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm doing Gen V stationary RNG. I'm in the time finder window and I entered my desired spread, but as soon as I set my Spe IV to smething other than 31 it "disabled fast searching" and it takes forever to search. Extremely annoying that the program runs this way as you basically have to enter a 31 Spe IV to search seeds in a reasonable amount of time. Do I have any options to make this go faster? The spread I want is 31/0/31/30/31/30

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi guys,

I'm doing Gen V stationary RNG. I'm in the time finder window and I entered my desired spread, but as soon as I set my Spe IV to smething other than 31 it "disabled fast searching" and it takes forever to search. Extremely annoying that the program runs this way as you basically have to enter a 31 Spe IV to search seeds in a reasonable amount of time. Do I have any options to make this go faster? The spread I want is 31/0/31/30/31/30
Gen 5 here pls

Afaik Pokefinder doesn't support this method for Gen 5 on the releases (could be in an alpha? idk), so I'm unable to test anything there. For RNGR, testing it a bit seems like you're stuck. While it's possible to trick the program into showing "fast searching" while still searching for your IVs, it doesn't actually result in improved searching times.

m:ss.ss

normal search 4:21.05
fast 1:42.10
tricked 4:22.94
You could achieve fast searching if you compromise on some of the IVs, specifically the Atk IV to maintain your HP fire, by setting your desired Atk to HP_E. See commented lines in the RNGR source code, denoted by //

1623349497757.png

Gen 5 here pls

Afaik Pokefinder doesn't support this method for Gen 5 on the releases (could be in an alpha? idk), so I'm unable to test anything there. For RNGR, testing it a bit seems like you're stuck. While it's possible to trick the program into showing "fast searching" while still searching for your IVs, it doesn't actually result in improved searching times.

You could achieve fast searching if you compromise on some of the IVs, specifically the Atk IV to maintain your HP fire, by setting your desired Atk to HP_E. See commented lines in the RNGR source code, denoted by //

Dude, I don't know what all that text means, but you're a beast, and I'm glad you're smarter than I am. I found my seed. Thank you.

I'm currently trying to RNG a shiny Misdreavus at Mt. Silver in HeartGold, but I'm having problems. I decided to try to get it at Mt. Silver 3F where Misdreavus can be found at encounter slots 0 and 2 during Night, but it didn't work. When I first tried with encounter slot 2, I got a shiny Phanpy, and when I tried with slot 0, I got a shiny Quagsire. I thought that maybe I was in the wrong room. I don't know which exact room is "3F" because when I look at the maps on Serebii, Bulbapedia and Psypokes, they have different names for the rooms. I assumed it was this room as it is named 3F on Serebii and Psypokes, but it is named 2F on Bulbapedia. Now I am wondering, which room is 3F according to the encounter slots? I searched a little in this thread and it seems like people have been having problems with Mt. Silver in the past as well, but I don't know if the encounter slots has been fixed since then. I will continue trying a bit on my own to see if I can solve it, but if anyone has the answer, it would be highly appreciated.

Edit: I solved it on my own. I made another try in this room, the "Expert Belt Chamber" as Bulbapedia calls it. Here, I managed to get my target shiny Misdreavus on encounter slot 2.

Last edited:
I've been trying to RNG a TID/SID in SoulSilver; while I've been able to hit the right delay, the number of seconds is wrong (target seconds - 59; actual seconds - 2 or 3). Does something different need to be done in EonTimer/Pokefinder in order to do ID abuse compared to regular encounters?

Yes, yes you do. The thing you need to do, apparently, is read the guide properly.

Last edited:
I noticed something unusual today when attempting a method K RNG in HGSS for stationary legends.

I booted up RNG reporter to re-attempt an RNG from the night prior that I was unable to catch before Moltres struggled. The time finder window indicated this particular seed of 820F082E had a desired frame of 146.

I pasted the seed into the main window, made sure I had selected method K + stationary from the drop down in time finder window and the main window. No synchronizer was used and the appropriate option was selected. I clicked generate. To my surprise, last night the main window showed the spread as appearing on frame 145; one frame earlier than indicated in the time finder search results. I didn't question it and attempted my RNG, but failed as I said last night because Moltres wouldn't stay in the damn Pokeball.

So I rebooted RNG reporter this morning and went for the exact same seed. But this time, when I loaded everything up, the main window said my spread was now on frame 146; exactly coinciding with the time finder window results. I also had to do an additional chatot call than last night (I remember this because of the unique sequence of calls near the end that I had to pay attention to).

I'm not sure what is causing this inconsistency. I just caught it 5 mins ago and the 146 frame spread was correct. So I have my 31/0/31/31/30/31 Moltres, but I don't understand why it told me frame 145 last night.

Hello,

I have a question about RNGing the PID on an egg in Emerald: If I'm trying to hit a very high frame using a battle video, does opening the battle video and then closing the menu count as a redraw? Thanks in advance.

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, if you're RNGing the Gen 4 games, here's something important I learned the hard way. It's not on any of Smogon's guides, but it's important to know.

Poke Radar shinies are a little weird. If you're going for a Pokemon that occupies an even-numbered encounter slot, you can only hit even-numbered frames. Similarly, if you're going for a Pokemon that occupies an odd-numbered encounter slot, you can only hit odd-numbered frames. For example, let's say you want a Pokemon in encounter slot 4, and your target frame is 805. If you try to hit frame 805, you'll skip over it and hit frame 806 instead.

If you are using a Synchronizer, you will instead skip to the next even-numbered frame that has the matching nature. Let's say you were aiming for a Timid Pokemon in that frame, and the next two Timid frames are 823 and 840. You will skip over frames 805 and 823 and go all the way to 840.

To reiterate, this is only the case for chained Poke Radar shinies. They truly are some of the most difficult things to RNG!

Has anyone tried RNGing specific Unown letters? I got a shiny Unown T that was supposed to be A. I followed the directions in the PID generation article, converting it to binary, etc. Is there something else to it, or is the article wrong? My Unown's PID is A8A0A8AC.

I've tried a second time with an Unown that should have also been an A, and was instead a Z. Its PID is 0282028C.
Still having trouble with this. I tried the above in Platinum, but have switched over to HGSS since there's more research on it I guess. Someone in the other thread suggested the KnownUnown program, but even though I can hit my shiny frame no problem, I'm getting a different letter than what KnownUnown says I should. Here's what my outputs are at the moment:
unownhelpplz.png

And the actual Unown U I caught:

20220310_151008.jpg

Is there something in the settings of KnownUnown I should fiddle with or something else I'm missing?

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The frame in Unown Finder is not the same as the frame in RNG Reporter - you're not really using Unown Finder to determine what frame the desired spread is on (that's what RNG Reporter is for), you're using it to determine what letter of Unown you'll get for a given frame. So your process should be find a shiny frame you want in RNG Reporter, then plug the initial seed into Unown Finder and search for the IVs of your frame (ignore what Unown Finder tells you your frame is - in the example below it says it's 87, but in reality it's 7 - what RNG Reporter shows). It'll then show you what letter you get if you don't use radio (U, in this case). If you're able to use the radio method for that spread, it'll have an X under "Radio", and the "Radio Letters" box will show you the letter you'd get if you used the radio. If it shows multiple letters, it'll be the first one.

If you want a different letter, you're going to need to find a different shiny spread, since you've already completed your Unown Report (all the boxes are checked off). The only way you're able to change what letter you'll get for a given shiny spread is by starting with a fresh save file and catching them in order and re-using that spread each time, since which Unown you've caught influences which form you'll see next when you play the mysterious radio signal. Since you've caught them all already, you've lost the ability to use that method.

Hope this helps!

1646948454139.png

Last edited:
The frame in Unown Finder is not the same as the frame in RNG Reporter - you're not really using Unown Finder to determine what frame the desired spread is on (that's what RNG Reporter is for), you're using it to determine what letter of Unown you'll get for a given frame. So your process should be find a shiny frame you want in RNG Reporter, then plug the initial seed into Unown Finder and search for the IVs of your frame (ignore what Unown Finder tells you your frame is - in the example below it says it's 87, but in reality it's 7 - what RNG Reporter shows). It'll then show you what letter you get if you don't use radio (U, in this case). If you're able to use the radio method for that spread, it'll have an X under "Radio", and the "Radio Letters" box will show you the letter you'd get if you used the radio. If it shows multiple letters, it'll be the first one.
This is what it was, thanks!
20220310_160607.jpg

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's something else I discovered for the Gen 4 games: For fishing encounters, if you are standing on land (i.e. not surfing), the starting frame is 1, not 4. I learned this the hard way.

Empress

Double post; don't care.

Something else I found out the hard way: Diamond/Pearl have different calibrated delays than Platinum. For DP, the calibrated delay should be set to 600, but for Platinum, it should be set closer to 575.

Perhaps even more confusingly, DP delay should be set to 575 ONLY FOR YOUR TRAINER ID. That's what worked for me, at least.

EDIT: To avoid triple posting, here are some more things I found.
  • Hail and sand are not the only things that prevent Coin Flips from working properly. Rain messes it up too.
  • The wandering NPC on Route 210 North has an effect on Route 210 South. So if you're trying to RNG in Route 210 South, the wandering Black Belt will mess you up. I will do more research to see if this is the case for Routes 205 and 212.
  • If you're going for a Poke Radar shiny, it doesn't matter where you are standing. On one frame, the same patches of grass will shake in the same relative positions.
    • This also affects chaining; if you get unlucky and the game doesn't generate a shiny patch, it never will. Even if you use a different seed, as long as the "16bithigh" is the same, the game will still never generate a shiny patch; thus, you will be forced to try a seed with a different PID.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)