[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
that mew is so bad that it is not even worth doing analysis on

I don't know what you want us to do analysis on? Is it hacked? You can't really tell from the naked eyes.

That mew is legal (Hoenn, Shiny, Japanese, No Cross/Pentagon so from Gen 3). And again, it doesn't mean anything lol
This is not a thread to rate (or should I say berate?) the Pokémon of other users.
They asked a legit question and your tone was completely unnecessary.
Please stick to answering the actual question(s) in the future and keep your comments to yourself.

What's your analysis of this Mew please? It came from Hoenn and has no Cross/Pentagon or symbol. It loves to eat! is it's characteristic.
View attachment 275817
There is indeed a difference between "legal" and "legit".
"Legal" means that a Pokémon's attributes are within the limits that the game allows, meaning that it is technically possible to exist.
"Legit" means that a Pokémon is 100% authentic: No manipulations or cheats were used while acquiring the Pokémon in question.
The Mew appears to be "legal" at first sight, but it's unfortunately impossible to tell if it's "legit".
You're free to treasure it for personal use, if you like, but we always advise newer users to not trade any Pokémon with unknown origins.

That being said, welcome to Smogon!

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What's your analysis of this Mew please? It came from Hoenn and has no Cross/Pentagon or symbol. It loves to eat! is it's characteristic.
View attachment 275817
If you're going to be forming a Mew collection like you mentioned above, it's probably worth your time to learn how to hack-check yourself instead of posting here every time you get one, since Mew is one of the most commonly hacked Pokémon around.

Basically, if it's shiny, it MUST be Japanese and from Pokémon Emerald. Else, it's hacked.

If it's not shiny/not from Gen 3, then it must have the OT/ID number of its corresponding event. Serebii's event dex is fairly lacking, Bulbapedia's is more comprehensive.

Mews from before Gen 6 do not have any guaranteed IVs upon capture. If it has good IVs, then you should verify that the person who obtained it RNG'd it (and verify that it's a legal nature/IV combo). Otherwise, it's probably hacked. The only exception is Virtual Console Mews, which are guaranteed to have 5 perfect IVs.

Mews from Gens 6 onwards will have at least 3 perfect IVs guaranteed.

Following these simple checks should help you root out all visible hacks. However, the MOST important hack check is whether or not you trust the user you obtained it from. Even if a Mew appears to check out, it's incredibly likely to still be hacked unless the user you obtained it from has some sort of proof of obtaining it.

Last edited:
I received these two pokemon from Surprise Trade. Could you please check them?

Language: English
Species: Urshifu
OT: Machamps.com
ID No.: 993401
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Ability: Unseen Fist
Pokemon's name: MGDiscord.co
Level: 100
Pokeball: Poke ball
Shiny?: No
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): No
Moves: Wicked Blow, Iron Head, Close Combat, Zen Headbutt
Nature: Jolly
Region of origin: Galar
Characteristic: It's mischievous!
Ribbons: Galar Champion, Tower Master, Master Rank, Best Friend, Effort
Other comments (optional): It is holding a Life Orb. All moves are PP maxed. It can Gigantamax. It's Dynamax Level is maxed.

Species: Raichu (Alolan)
OT: Simon
ID No.: 863658
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): No EVs
Ability: Surge Surfer
Pokemon's name: freepkm.com
Level: 50
Pokeball: Timer Ball
Shiny?: Yes
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Cross
Moves: Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Grass Knot
Nature: Timid
Region of origin: Alola
Characteristic: It takes plenty of siestas!
Ribbons: None
Other comments (optional): It is holding a Master Ball. All moves are PP maxed. Current no. of Exp. Points is 125,000.

Thanks in advance!

I received these two pokemon from Surprise Trade. Could you please check them?

OT: Machamps.com
ID No.: 993401
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Pokemon's name: MGDiscord.co
Moves: Wicked Blow, Iron Head, Close Combat, Zen Headbutt
Characteristic: It's mischievous!
Ribbons: Galar Champion, Tower Master, Master Rank, Best Friend, Effort
Other comments (optional): It is holding a Life Orb. All moves are PP maxed. It can Gigantamax. It's Dynamax Level is maxed.

Species: Raichu (Alolan)
OT: Simon
ID No.: 863658
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): No EVs
Ability: Surge Surfer
Pokemon's name: freepkm.com
Level: 50
Pokeball: Timer Ball
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Cross
Moves: Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Grass Knot
Nature: Timid
Region of origin: Alola
Characteristic: It takes plenty of siestas!
Other comments (optional): It is holding a Master Ball. All moves are PP maxed. Current no. of Exp. Points is 125,000.

Thanks in advance!
Both of those look hacked. The OT on urshifu and the NN on both indicate that they are hacked. Machamps.com is fairly infamous indication of hacked pokemon, and a quick Google of the NNs and OT will show a lot of results that point to both being hacked.

Yeah for future reference anything you get from trades with a URL in the name/OT is 100% genned/hacked.

Especially if it's stuff like a Level 100 battle ready Urshifu with everything maxed out. The only way that hack could be more obvious is if it was shiny.

I received this pokemon from Surprise Trade. Could you please check it?

OT: sam
ID No.: 977820
IVs: 31/x/31/31/x/x
Pokemon's name: Urshifu
Level: 71
Moves: Aerial Ace, Surging Strikes, Focus Punch, Superpower
Nature: Adamant
Characteristic: It's capable of taking hits!
Ribbons: none

Thanks in advance!

Tatertot

I received this pokemon from Surprise Trade. Could you please check it?

OT: sam
ID No.: 977820
IVs: 31/x/31/31/x/x
Pokemon's name: Urshifu
Level: 71
Moves: Aerial Ace, Surging Strikes, Focus Punch, Superpower
Nature: Adamant
Characteristic: It's capable of taking hits!
Ribbons: none

Thanks in advance!
Everything about this one appears to be legal. The only thing valuable about it is the Adamant nature, which can easily be gotten by soft resetting. Kubfu is guaranteed 3 perfect IVs (as are all Pokémon in the No Eggs Discovered egg group from Gen VI onwards).

So I received this pokémon in a Surprise Trade a while ago and was wondering if it can be legit:

Language: Eng
Species: Tyrunt
OT: NIA
ID No.: 11285
IVs: HP/Atk/Def/Spd 31
EVs (optional): Random (I think)
Ability: Sturdy
Pokemon's name:Tyrunt
Level: 1
Pokeball: Pokeball
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Yes, Pentagon
Moves: Tail Whip, Tackle
Region of origin: Kalos
Characteristic: It takes plenty of siestas
Ribbons: Hoenn Champion, Kalos Champion, Contest Star, All Contest Master Ribbons, Best Friend, Skillful Battler, Expert Battler, Alert, Shock, Downcast, Careless, Relax, Snooze, Smile, Gorgeous, Royal, Gorgeous Royal
Other comments (optional): Hope I filled it in correctly

Ribbons: Hoenn Champion, Kalos Champion, Contest Star, All Contest Master Ribbons, Best Friend, Skillful Battler, Expert Battler, Alert, Shock, Downcast, Careless, Relax, Snooze, Smile, Gorgeous, Royal, Gorgeous Royal
The ribbons for me suggest it's a hack. The odds of a freshly hatched Pokemon having all the Master Contest ribbons seems highly unlikely.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I feel like I don't even have to ask about a Italian Shiny 6IV Imposter Ditto from the GTS, but just to rule out the "so slim that you'd have to be stupidly optimistic to even consider considering" chance that it's a clone of RNGed Ditto, it's transferred from Kalos. Isn't RNGing for random encounters impossible in Gen 6?

I know trading hacked Pokemon isn't allowed, but what's the stance on trading Pokemon that were breed using a hacked Ditto? Allowed, not allowed, or allowed but I should tell people the Ditto used was hacked?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel like I don't even have to ask about a Italian Shiny 6IV Imposter Ditto from the GTS, but just to rule out the "so slim that you'd have to be stupidly optimistic to even consider considering" chance that it's a clone of RNGed Ditto, it's transferred from Kalos. Isn't RNGing for random encounters impossible in Gen 6?

I know trading hacked Pokemon isn't allowed, but what's the stance on trading Pokemon that were breed using a hacked Ditto? Allowed, not allowed, or allowed but I should tell people the Ditto used was hacked?
As per our rules,

Trading edited Pokémon (Pokémon which have had any of their data modified after capture/hatching) or generated Pokémon (Pokémon which were flat-out created) cannot be traded here. This includes using such Pokémon as parents for breeding other Pokémon.

As for the Ditto, Friend Safari RNG is possible.
But I would advise against breeding with it, you might as well check out the Ditto giveaways hosted in the section by trustworthy users.

Got this shiny Zapdos in a normal Link Trade years ago in XY. Not sure if it's RNG abused or outright hacked.

Species: Zapdos
OT: Shiro*
ID No.: 14638
IVs: 31/Pretty Good/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): 252 HP / around 200+ Def / around 60 SpA / some Spe
Ability: Pressure
Pokemon's name: Zapdos
Pokeball: Ultra
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): None
Moves: Thunderbolt, Heat Wave, Roost, Defog
Nature: Bold
Region of origin: Johto
Characteristic: Takes plenty of siestas
Other comments (optional): Has been cured of Pokérus.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Got this shiny Zapdos in a normal Link Trade years ago in XY. Not sure if it's RNG abused or outright hacked.

To my knowledge nothing seems wrong on this Zapdos. It could be more than likely RNGed. It can also learn Defog (HM) from Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum and be transferred up to XY by teaching Defog in DPPt and then trading to HeartGold or SoulSilver. Then moving up as normal.
It won't hurt to hold onto this Pokemon but to be cautious.
From the OP: "Perfect and/or shiny Pokemon obtained in a trade with an unknown trainer (i.e. from the GTS/Wonder Trade/Passerby) stand a reasonable chance of being hacked, so it's safest to assume they are. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."
hope that helped. :)

Tatertot

Unless its Atk IV is either 16 or 17, it's a definite hack. Since there are only a limited number of perfect spreads available in Gen 4, a Zapdos with that nature and IV spread (with Pretty Good Atk) would need to have 16 or 17 Atk to be legal.

That said, even if it does have 16 or 17 Atk, it could still easily be a hack due to the quote that Light Sanctity quoted above. But figuring out exactly what its Atk IV is will help you narrow it down. Hope this makes sense!

Friends, in 2018, when Pokécheck was back on the air for a while, I "got" several pokémon for it, all following the possible rules of moveset, location, pokéballs (at least that's what the check said).

They all have Premier Ribbons, indicating they are from Pokécheck, and they all pass through Pokébank normally, without any problems.

Can I use these cloned Pokémon on Wi-Fi battles? In any battles (common, official tournaments...)?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Friends, in 2018, when Pokécheck was back on the air for a while, I "got" several pokémon for it, all following the possible rules of moveset, location, pokéballs (at least that's what the check said).

They all have Premier Ribbons, indicating they are from Pokécheck, and they all pass through Pokébank normally, without any problems.

Can I use these cloned Pokémon on Wi-Fi battles? In any battles (common, official tournaments...)?
As per our rules:
  • If you use legal hacks in battles, you must disclose this information to the other party while coordinating the battle.
So, yes. You can use them in battles against fellow users here, as long as you are transparent about it and inform them prior to the matches.

However, official in situ tournaments do not allow these Pokémon in any way and you may be subject to punishment if you are caught with them.

As per our rules:
  • If you use legal hacks in battles, you must disclose this information to the other party while coordinating the battle.
So, yes. You can use them in battles against fellow users here, as long as you are transparent about it and inform them prior to the matches.

However, official in situ tournaments do not allow these Pokémon in any way and you may be subject to punishment if you are caught with them.
Thanks a Million, man!

Only one more question: what is "situ" tournaments?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Thanks a Million, man!

Only one more question: what is "situ" tournaments?
Oh, "in situ tournaments" here means tournaments that you attend in person at certain venues, say regional ones, or even the World Championships.
Generally speaking, you will be subject to punishment like diqualification if you are caught using illegal Pokémon.
In your case, the ribbon from Pokécheck would be a dead giveaway.

Hello. I was wondering if these Celebi are hacked. I checked the IVs and EVs. The IVs are 31 across the board and the EVs are 252 in Special Attack and Speed, and 6 in Special Defense. The ID No. and the IVs are concerning considering the Gameboy Symbol. I got these through Wonder Trade. Are they hacked?
20210808_020216.jpg
20210808_020220.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)